Search Unity

Asset Store approval slower recently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisSch, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Hi! Is it happening to others too? Busy holiday month?

So far its been around 3 days, and in order, and I don't mean to be panicky but I submitted a few assets in the past few days, but only one got approved, and not the first one I submitted.

Last time its been approved in order of submission. I submitted the first asset 8 days ago, but the one I submitted later got approved instead. And for the last one I submitted, I got the "asset submitted" email two days later, instead of the usual right after "submission successful" notification in Unity.

Anyone else experiencing this, or am I just being impatient, and edgy, and imagining things from pain meds?

Thanks! :)

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I hope it's just a freak of nature thing.

Because I just uploaded my first asset to asset store this morning :(.

3. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Its probably just me exaggerating or something. And congrats! :D

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hahaha probably, I'm already paranoid because my first (model) I uploaded got denied and I never even knew why, but this is shaders, so it shouldn't be denied lol.

5. randomperson42

randomperson42

Usually you shouldn't be too concerned until a full business week has passed. Assets frequently take a week before going live, but it depends on the asset. What did you submit? Sometimes smaller scale assets or art assets will take less review time than large scripting/extension assets.

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

I don't know what he submitted, but I submitted 12 Toon Shaders, (well technically 6) but each one has an option for outlines and no outlines.

7. randomperson42

randomperson42

Can't imagine that would take too long if it gets accepted.

8. N1warhead

N1warhead

I hope it don't :).

I love these shaders I made, they can do all kinds of neat effects :)

9. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Well the first one got declined just now... Its an asset pack of around 70 Christmas cookies and sweets. No idea whats wrong with it, because I personally consider it better than a lot of things I see on the store. The explanation is ofc the usual copy/paste rejection one. I emailed them back asking if they can be a bit more specific as to how its not up to quality standards.

10. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah, well they need to start posting some kind of rules or something, because I'm depending on my asset to be accepted, it will completely ruin my passion to ever release anything again.

From what I've heard, you hardly ever get an email back lol.

11. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Tell me about it, both me and my partner(she made it, I just organized) feel pretty defeated. And I'm not exaggerating, our lives are crap to begin with. So even the "little things" feel big. You wouldn't believe the amount of bad luck we have if I told you. Last three assets we submitted got rejected. Anyway, I'll just keep resubmitting and hope life stops giving us the finger, and someone else reviews it. Also gonna try Turbosquid. They take 70% of revenue not 30% tho, but what can you do.

And yeah, I also read that unless its a specific problem you don't get a reply. Or unless you raise a commotion. Which I don't wanna do.

12. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang man that's crazy!
    But you are right, the little things make you feel more alive than the big ones espically when you're just starting out trying to make a name for your self.

I almost think it has to deal with 'Who you know, not what you know' just like anything else in life.

But best believe I'll raise absolute hell,
    did they make it? NO, did I break the law? NO, does it work? YES.

I mean what else do they want? if it works, didn't break the law making it, and if they didn'r make it how can they judge it?
    I've seen absolute crap on the asset store, but yet when something good finally comes it's thrown out like a hand full of turds into someones face, that's exactly how it feels.

I just don't get it, if something works, didn't hurt anyone, didn't break the law to make it, why can't it be accepted?
    And not to mention as you said, give a copy paste answer, how about speak to someone as a human being.

13. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I cant understand that they reject yours, which as you said, put some heart into it and let absolute crap go on.
    Even stolen content i've seen gone onto the asset store.

14. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang really?

15. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Yeah quite a few stolen things I've seen gone on (namely fps kits). Sell those in the 60-100 ranges.
    There was this one guy a few months back who completely took someone elses kit and sold it on the asset store for $100, he didn't change graphics, code or anything. He even used the same photos to present his asset. Told the author about it and it they took it down.

I'm releasing an asset soon (model), hopefully it don't take long to approve :D

N1warhead likes this.
  16. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I don't know man. "Unfortunately we don't feel this submission is quite up to quality standards we hold on the Asset Store." is what I got. Which ofc, in my opinion, is more than up to the quality. I've seen way worse on the store, and way better ofc. Wish I knew exactly what's wrong so I fix it, and not make the same mistakes next time. I don't like wasting weeks on something only to be rejected, when time is really of an essence. I asked for specifics so we'll see.

And good luck to you both! :D

Gigiwoo and N1warhead like this.
  17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Personally I hope they're constantly pushing the standards upwards, so the fact that there's worse stuff available is by the by - if things are constantly getting better then there has to be worse, older stuff.

But yeah, some kind of published guidelines and quality criteria would be great.

Cogent and randomperson42 like this.
  18. randomperson42

randomperson42

Don't just keep re-submitting, try to improve whatever it is you're uploading. If it was declined, there was a reason. You're wasting the time of the asset store reviewers if you just submit again. I can't pretend to know what the reason was, but it's not a matter of luck.

19. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Another got declined just now... Same copy/paste "explanation". Sort of makes a month of hard work a waste of time. And I don't feel like making anything for the asset store anymore if its just gonna get rejected without a good explained reason. Whats the point in going on if everything is gonna be rejected with a copy/paste reason.

I need to know exactly whats wrong to improve especially if it looks good to me, and better than what I saw on the asset store while researching, both in quality and especially in quantity.

What should I improve if they don't tell me whats wrong? They're wasting my time more than me theirs. It takes far longer to develop/create something than to review it. I can't pretend to know whats the reason is either, that's why I want to know. And the provided explanation is not it. I'm sorry but I feel spiteful, and pretty down, and want to keep resubmitting until a more reasonable reviewer reviews it, or until they tell me what I can improve.

20. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

What kind of asset is it?
    Just submitted my asset right now so I hope this doesnt happen to me

21. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oh wow man, now I'm starting to get down about my asset I submitted. Now I'm nervous seeing rejected twice in two days for you :(

22. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

I wouldnt worry to much, just hit that submit button :D

23. N1warhead

N1warhead

lol, spam bot the submission to make sure I get accepted, bwa haha, anonymous is here! They are watching!
    JK lol. haha.

24. N1warhead

N1warhead

Don't feel bad though, I'm sitting here waiting for me new violin strings to get here when they should have bee here yesterday, but nooo, they haven't updated in location in 4 days, so I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs for them.

So these strings + my submitted asset = my nerves on edge lol.

25. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I've not checked, but I wouldn't be surprised things were winding down for Christmas. And it also sounds like you've not waiting a horrific amount of time yet.

Cogent likes this.
  26. N1warhead

N1warhead

How long is the Christmas break? Or do they not get one lol?

27. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

No they keep them in a cave and whip them if they allow a bad asset to go through (which explains the rejected submissions as they don't want to be harmed)

28. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I hear you lol.

29. Archania

Archania

You can always create your own store and then show it off in the asset thread with a link to your store. Nothing is stopping you from doing that. Or you can post and show and get people's thoughts on it. Showing nothing isn't going to help.

30. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

We worked for a month and a half on a lot of Christmas stuff, ornaments, presents, snowmen, animated Santa, animated reindeer, you name it. Everything Christmasy we thought of. And then split it into 4-5 packs averaging on around 70-80 prefabs each. And also the full pack of over 300 prefabs. So far presents got accepted, but ornaments, picture frames, and cookies and sweets packs got declined. Even tho the quality is exactly the same as the one accepted because its the same artist, and everything is organized exactly the same as well.

31. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Living in this **** country is stopping me. All kinds of monetization and paypal is 95% unavailable to us. Its basically like living on the island in "Lost". Can't leave it no matter what you do. Pardon my censored language, I'm not feeling any better.

32. Archania

Archania

Understandable. Was just giving other ways to get your asset viewed and hopefully make some money.

33. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Throwing out assumptions that the US office kind of works the same as us, we don't actually have allocated time off, we have the national holidays and then we take time off around that time ourselves.

34. N1warhead

N1warhead

Ahhh okay, sounds kinda lame LOL... I'm assuming not every nation celebrates Christmas (Of course not getting into the whole topic of religion), but I mean, it's still a international holiday isn't it?

At least that's how us in the US perceive it, even if not based on religion, but a time to spend with your families.

35. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yes not every nation celebrates it but its not really international. A lot of the world is either catholic or christian, and they both celebrate Christmas so, its sort of everywhere. Feels like its international because media mostly only covers Europe and America. In Africa Christmas isn't really a thing from what I know, but I have friends there and they do enjoy Christmas too even tho they don't celebrate it. :)

I'm neither but I enjoy Christmas a lot and celebrate both the Catholic and Christian one, because one side of the family is Catholic, and the other Christian.

N1warhead likes this.
  36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Same artist does not mean same quality. How 'bout posting screenies and wireframes here and letting people who've successfully got stuff up there point out potential errors?

Also, when doing stuff like this it's good risk mitigation to submit the first/hardest thing early before spending the rest of the time on the other 200+ items. That way if it turns out to be a "waste of time" for whatever reason you've wasted 2 weeks, not 6.

Cogent likes this.
  37. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Sure I'll post a few screenshots, we could use some help figuring out whats wrong. Yeah should have submitted as packs wer made, but I was incredibly busy on my side during that whole month so I didn't submit one after another this time, 'cause I was supposed to do the organizing and submitting part.

Here's the one that got accepted: Christmas Presents

And a few screenshots of the cookies.
    Screen 1 Cookies.PNG Screen 9 Cookies.PNG Screen 7 Cookies.PNG Screen 5 Cookies.PNG Screen 13 Cookies.PNG

All the cookies are primarily available on their own without the batches on plates. Everything is really low poly, suitable for mobile, although not tested, so it doesn't say "mobile" in the title. And same goes for the other packs.

There's 68 cookies and sweets, 8 empty plates, and 9 premade plates of them. There's more screenshots (of other 6 cookie filled plates) but I don't wanna spam too much, unless you really wanna see. :p

Honestly I really like these, and would pay for them my self, and thought they would fit well on the store because I saw a lot of food assets, but not Christmas cookies and sweets. At least not in these numbers. Only thing that comes to mind is that the floating table cloth the cookies are on, and the floor, are a bit ugly. It was a last minute addition, and not the main thing so we didn't think it would matter that much.

38. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hmmm, I dont know why that wouldn't be acccepted.

The only thing I could possibly think of is the edges of the cookies not actually having a texture and just being solid colors, but again, why do you even need that? it looks fine without one, but they may be picky about that sort of thing.

39. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

The coloring and decoration is just frosting, while the edges is the cookie itself. But that's probably not the issue, there's plenty minimalistic look assets on the store.

40. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hmmm, I honestly don't know then, it doesn't make sense.
    Because there's nothing wrong looking with it.

Someone must be mad because they don't christmas off so you must have gotten him mad seeing Christmas stuff lol.

41. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

But Christmas is so shiny, sparkly, and colorful! Whats not to like? :D

42. N1warhead

N1warhead

Not getting his day off to spend time with his family LOL.
    I'd be pretty mad too! But I doubt that's what it is, but who knows LOL.

I love christmas, the colors produce a sense of warmness.

43. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Good point, but yeah that's probably not it. I don't get days off on holidays if my work days overlap. I'll be working the first day of new year too so no heavy partying for me on new years eve. xD

44. N1warhead

N1warhead

Haha yeah, I hardly ever get a day off, I haven't had a day off in months.. (I work more than full time on my games, etc).
    Yeah haven't produced any money yet, but that's because I haven't finished game yet LOL.

That's why I'm trying to upload these custom shaders I made, to try an hopefully get some money coming in, in the mean time lol.

I can easily work 19 hours a day on my games and composing music for my violin and stuff.

45. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I wish that was all I had to work on. I got some stupid temp job, plus college and expenses that eat my temp job money as soon as I get it. xD

N1warhead likes this.
  46. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Next one got approved: Mini Christmas Pack
    And another (mugs and nuttcrackers) declined because a background material is missing, so I fixed, and resubmitted it right away. That's a specific problem, and they pointed it out, along with a screenshot of it. Rejected because of that is completely fine by me. It would be funny if it got rejected even after that fix though. xD

Still no idea how they judge, because this pack is to me, lowest in quality (i did the art on this one, except the sleighs) and definitely lowest quantity, compared to the others I submitted last.
    The only difference I can take out of it, is that the demo scene is much cleaner. Actually there is no demo scene, its just all objects lined up. So its either that, or a different reviewer, with a different view on standards. Could be a bit of both too. :p

Anyway, I'm gonna clean up the demo scenes of the declined ones a bit now, and add a proper table for the cookies.

47. N1warhead

N1warhead

Glad you got one Approved bro!
    There's still some hope left after all!

I'm still waiting gahhh

48. N1warhead

N1warhead

Mine got declined because of the images LOL. Them things are hard to understand lol.
    But at least I got a reasoning for it lol.

49. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

How long did it take for yours to get approved?

50. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

So, I'm not on the Asset Store team and am not involved in any way in approving or rejecting packages.

However, from my own experience, my thoughts are... that I'm surprised the Christmas Presents pack was accepted.

The first big issue: none of your textures are atlased. You've got a completely separate texture and material per present - possibly even multiple materials per present, judging by the materials list - which means 1+ draw call per individual present. For a mobile asset, that's a disaster. If you've done the same thing for the cookies pack - and consider that for most games, a 'plate of cookies' would pretty much just be a couple of textured quads - then that's your #1 priority. There's no point making the compromises you've made to keep the polycount low if you then throw everything out the window with separate materials for everything.

Second issue: it looks like you're just using the diffuse shader on everything. There's no textural difference between the 'cookie' parts and the 'icing' parts. Try some specular on the parts with icing.

Third issue: Everything is faceted. That's not a performance win, it just looks bad. It's most noticeable on the plates - your third screenshot in particular. Low-poly things necessarily have angular geometry but smooth shading can help a lot.

Anyway, even if I'm not involved in approving/rejecting assets, those are the reasons I wouldn't buy your asset. Hope it helps.