Search Unity

[Asset] Orbital Reentry Pod [WIP]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by VertexFiend, Nov 23, 2014.

1. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to start a little WIP on here to gauge interest and maybe get some feedback for an asset that I have been working on.

Final asset will feature -
    - maps for classic Unity materials as well as maps for PBR materials
    - Substance file with ability to modify color scheme, procedural dirt, wear, slots for custom logos
    - modeled interior - final will have dropship-style seats and will allow player to go from interior to exterior

Pod exterior - approx. 3k tris - with 4k color, normal, spec, gloss, metalic maps

Pod interior - approx. 5k tris - with 4k color, normal, spec, gloss, metalic maps

Please let me know if there is any feature not mentioned that you would be interested in seeing!

Thanks for your interest!

2. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

More Progress - o_O Adding decals (will be swappable with custom logos with substance material)

Screenshot from Unity5 beta 14 - with metalic shader!

3. TheRaider

TheRaider

To be honest it wouldn't look out of place in a sci fi movie.

4. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@TheRaider - Wow. Thanks! What a great compliment! I'm trying to shoot for AAA-like quality for all of our content!

Here's another WIP shot in Unity5 beta -

- added some stripes and tweaked some material settings.

I hope to be done with the textures and substance UI stuff soon and I'm going to be working on rigging and animating shortly.

Here's a question - Would it be better to have everything animated with a basic skinned bone system or should I just parent the objects and animate them in unity? (not really an animator here, but I could probably wrap my head around either workflow)

5. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Small update -

Finishing up textures for seats for pod interior -

Finishing up animation and exposing substance parameters to unity soon!

Hope to have this all submitted to the asset store sometime next week!

Any feedback is welcome! :)

Ony likes this.
  6. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

A bit more progress -

Screengrab from Unity 4.6 -

Ony likes this.
  7. AthosK

AthosK

Wow pretty sweet! I might need this asset

I have a question though, what shaders do you use for 4.6 to make it look like that?

8. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hey @nasoukikos - Thanks for your interest! I also have more spacecraft, sci-fi props and environmental sets in the works that should fit nicely with this stylistically.

The shader used on the last screen is a pretty simple shaderforge shader with a spec/gloss setup and a simple generic environment map. The shader will be included in the asset and runs independently of any plugins with nothing extra to buy. The only other special thing going on in there is a little bloom post effect (which would require Unity pro).

I know I also mentioned it earlier, but I would just like to reiterate. The textures for the asset are built with Substance Designer which will allow you to modify and customize many aspects of the asset including things like the color of the paint, adding custom logos and graphics to predefined slots, and altering the amount of grime and wear on the surfaces.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! :D

AthosK likes this.
  9. AthosK

AthosK

Thanks for clearing it out!

I'm very intrested in any other assets you might have, I'm pretty familiar with Substance Designer although I don't have it I have Substance Painter but most of the times I'm too busy to create new stuff so I'm always looking to buy assets for variety and to speed up development process :)

I'll be waiting to see more from your assets!
    Keep it up

10. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks for the encouragement! Helps keep me going! :)

I really like where you are headed with your robotic ninja / samurai game! Looks fun!

AthosK likes this.
  11. Ony

Ony

Kick ass. Nice work.

12. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks Ony!

Gotten a bit behind on this with the holidays and a little bout with the flu. Back on track and hope to submit this week now!

A little update - (getting close to final - all graphics will be easily replaceable / removable within unity)

- All user custom colored glows and replaceable decals added!

AthosK likes this.
  13. TheRaider

TheRaider

do you have any tutorials of your workflow?

14. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@TheRaider - Hey! Sorry for the slow reply! I've been busy working on the Unity art challenge, finishing up the pod, and trying to enjoy the holidays a bit!

I don't have any tutorials as of yet, but I'm considering putting something together!

AthosK likes this.
  15. MarioSantoso

MarioSantoso

Very nice. It has good textures, detailed model and good lighting. Will there be different LOD models? My biggest gripe is, this is only an escape pod, you don't really wander and admire an escape pod :) If you do like a spaceship with its interior, that would be awesome, then we have reason to wander around and admire it. Again well done and good job!

16. Hesham

Hesham

These are absolutely gorgeous. Great work.

17. TheRaider

TheRaider

That would be cool. I am more the wannbe artist that just messes around a little.

18. Schneider21

Schneider21

Gorgeous.

19. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hi @Kilsnus - Thank you for voicing your questions and concerns!
    - There will be LOD models included! Although at around 3k tris for the version that doesn't have openings cut for the interior the model is fairly low poly to begin with! I have my eye on some edge loops that wouldn't be missed at a distance :p.
    - Yeah, I know it's ONLY an escape pod! :oops: This has been my warm-up project for getting a collection of models up on the asset store. I have a few other things in the works including a modular scifi space station/ship interior environment and a modular starfighter with a modeled interior. Both would fit stylistically with this model and would be of the same quality. I thought this asset might be cool for a beginning spawn point in a FPS (maybe a coop 4 man team ;)) where you are dropped into different hostile planets with an objective before calling for extraction or maybe your home base in a scifi stranded survival type game (I'm working on a set of emergency rescue type equipment that I hope to add to this package after I get the pod up on the store :D). -

- (*coming soon after)

@TheRaider - I would really like to get around to it at some point soon! Several people have showed some interest in seeing how I do what I do. :) I am looking into Gumroad as a possible way of maybe selling bite-size tutorials for a very reasonable price. Someone suggested 3dmotive, but I don't think just anyone can upload tutorials to that site. Honestly, it is very flattering to me that people are interested in seeing how I come up with this stuff. :p

Aw! Thanks so much guys! Comments like this REALLY do keep me motivated and excited about the project! :) Not placing this month in the community art challenge has been a bit deflating to say the least :(.

Speaking of which - if anyone missed it here's my entry for the ornament competition -

I was going for a semi retro F-Zero vibe. Banged this out in about 3-4 days. I'm considering selling it with maybe a few other antigrav racers in a pack (minus the hanger and the Christmas/Santa stuff). Drop me a comment if anyone is interested! :)

20. Nyxxakai

Nyxxakai

Awesome ornament. I like the worn look of your textures!

21. LaneFox

LaneFox

Dude, great looking stuff.

22. MarioSantoso

MarioSantoso

Oh man, you're very skilled. I wonder if you can do "HOMEWORLD" style modelling? or something like Omega Spaceship asset in the asset store. I'm working on a space themed game, and I'm using that kind of "style" spaceships. If my W.I.P goes well, I planned to expand it. Thumbs up!

23. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@wakkamis - Thanks! It was fun to build! I am looking forward to building several more anti-grav racers for an asset package!

@LaneFox - Thanks much! :) Your modular ship builder is looking really cool!

Thanks again! :D I would say that the modular fighter ship I have started is fairly Homeworld-esque. Keep your eyes peeled. I'll probably start a WIP for the asset pretty soon after I get the Epod submitted. Best of luck with your game! I hope maybe some of my assets will make their way into it! :p

Right now I'm buttoning things up and trying to get a handle on capturing some video for some little YouTube vids of the pod. YouTube really mangles the video up something terrible. Looking into converting the AVI to mp4 before I upload it. EDIT - Been playing around with this got the compression looking much better!

Here's a new capture Enjoy! -

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    AthosK likes this.
  24. AthosK

AthosK

Wow that's amazing, now you absolutely have to make a tutorial how to make something look like that inside Unity :p

25. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks @nasoukikos ! I am looking forward to making some tutorials when I get some time! Working on assets has kept me pretty busy!

Edited above ^^^ - Swapped YouTube vid for one with better looking compression! :cool:

26. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Just a little quick update here -

Made a little graphic showing off the how you can make different color schemes right within unity -

I'm just cleaning up some collision meshes and LOD stuff before I finish up screens for the final submission!

I'll make another post in the asset forum when I submit!

AthosK likes this.
  27. ZJP

ZJP

Very nice. Bookmarked.

28. Cargo

Cargo

Wow I like the detail on those pods look great

29. hopeful

hopeful

Beautiful work!

As a side note, though ... I'm probably a bit more sensitive to the use of wear on models than most people. To me it seems like wear is the new toy and it's getting overused a lot, with every metal object looking like the most aged and beat up gumball machine of my youth. My preference would be to use wear to tell a story, and in this case probably to focus the wear upon the pod's re-entry shield (if it has been used), the docking bolts (with maybe scorch marks if it used small explosive charges to disengage), or something like that.

The wear on the interior, for instance, is beautifully done, but how much wear does an escape pod interior really see? I'd tend to think the interior would look untouched or lightly used.

30. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks so much! :)

@hopeful - Thanks for the kind compliments and I really do appreciate the feedback! I totally agree with what you are getting at. All of these things have a great potential to tell a story and I love your ideas. As sort of a semi cop-out I'm going to have to say that I've tried to kind of keep the substance graph as simple as possible for the sake of being able to modify some of these at runtime. All of the distress and dirt can be added or removed with the sliders right in unity. So for example, if you didn't want a dirty banged up interior for your pod you could crank the sliders way down . . or off. :) I think what I may work towards for the future would be to start painting in more specific masks that would allow me to focus these effects more where they would tell the best story while at the same time being able to dial them up and down. I may go back at some point and update them.

I'm in the process of tweaking the last few things and taking some screenshots! I'm learning a lot from putting one of these assets together. It is no simple task! o_O

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  31. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Asset submitted!! :D

Here are some YouTube videos I just put up that will go along with the asset's promo stuff -

Now just waiting for approval! :cool:

32. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Now up on the asset store! - LINK

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support! :)