Search Unity

Artificial Intelligence for MOBA games

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by gdebojyoti, Sep 28, 2014.

1. gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

I am just getting started in learning AI for game development.

I was wondering what kind of algorithms are implemented in developing the AI in MOBA games (such as DotA, LoL, Infinite Crisis).

Also, does anyone have any idea about the number of developers in a team required for the development of such an AI?

2. Vipsu

Vipsu

If you are just starting out, forget about the big guys and focus on the basics. Riot probably has a full team working on the A.I as they have ton of champions which all behave very differently which requires fair bit of effort in their part.

I recommend you to check out "programming Game AI by example" by Mat Buckland which is probably one of the best books out there that goes trough many core principles with great depth. I loaned mine from a colleague but you can probably order it, or get a pdf version trough official (or unofficial) channels. Few pages seem to be available on google books as well.

If you just want pointers, then here's a few key words for Google:
    - Fixed state machines
    - steering behaviors
    - Path finding (a*star)
    - Fuzzy logic
    - Goal-Driven Agent Behavior

Most if not all these are used in pretty much every game that requires more from a.i than simple pursue behavior.

gdebojyoti likes this.
  3. gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

Thanks for your reply Vipsu. I think that book will be a good starting point for me. :)

Btw, I am not looking to create a MOBA right away, of course. I was just curious as to how many people work on such a project (AI part).

4. victorgrego

victorgrego

5. lipemon1

lipemon1

6 years later but I have to try... The links are not working, do you have those papers so far? If yes, can you share them?

Thanks