Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you upgrading to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LeftyTwoGuns, Jul 11, 2015.

1. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

I'm tempted to take my free upgrade from Win 7 to 10 but I have some worries of how well Unity and Visual Studio 2013 will run on it. If my PC was strictly for my personal use, I'd probably go for the upgrade but it's the only PC I have and upgrading to 10, encountering some severe issues, and not being able to go back is a legitimate concern of mine. On top of that, I absolutely despise Windows 8 so not too much confidence in MS's next offering

Anyone here have any experience with Windows 10 they can share? Or thoughts in general? Are you guys going to upgrade your development machines?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Absolutely. Though I won't be using Visual Studio Community 2013 but rather Community 2015.

3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I did, and it's great, WIN10 + VSC2015 = GREAT

4. landon912

landon912

Unity works just fine on Windows 10, along with every other program.

Windows 10 is the best operating system I've used and can remember. (Over XP, 7, 8(ugh) 8.1, OSX, Ubuntu)

5. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Well this is reassuring to hear

Is Visual Studio Community 2015 free and well integrated with Unity like 2013 is?

randomperson42 likes this.
  6. delinx32

delinx32

The rule with Microsoft is always skip a version (unless you're a tech enthusiast who has to have the latest version of everything like me):

3.1->skip 95->98->skip ME->xp->skip vista->win7->skip 8->win10. Go for it.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. The entire point of Community is to provide a free edition for small teams and individuals who wouldn't be able to afford their tools otherwise. The download for it is on the front page (purple box). It is only a release candidate right now.

https://www.visualstudio.com/

Likewise UnityVS already has support for 2015, but it is release candidate too (termed Preview on their site).

http://unityvs.com/

8. delinx32

delinx32

The release date is like July 29th though, so its not far off.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Is that the release date of UnityVS? Because Visual Studio 2015 is set to release on the 20th.

10. delinx32

delinx32

No, I meant VS2015. I got the dates mixed up.

* Edit - Win10 is the 29th.

11. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

I want to update eventually (on 8.1 now) but I'll wait a few months to make sure everything is solid. I've got a bunch of programs installed in my dev environment, and things are working, so why take a chance?

12. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I'm not doing much with my windows os at this time. But I plan on switching to 10 eventually.

13. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Windows 8.1 frustrated me so much! Literally every program crashed, I get constant freezes, my window gets randomly deselected EVERY day at least 2 times, I get the blue screen from time to time, and basically the whole windows ecosystem stinks for me. I really had a horrible time trying windows 8.1. In fact, the last update corrupted some registry files (causes a lot of errors on my computer). I contacted MS but as greedy as they are, I can either rebuy the OS or pay for their stupid service. Otherwise, they won't help me fix it. On top of all this, they believe I pirated it because it is not in my account for some reason. Apparently my purchase went unrecorded (i bought from the MS website) and as a result, I don't get warranty or any support. Basically, my Windows experience has been extremely terrible.

I basically have to upgrade to windows 10 to fix these stupid registry errors otherwise I have a broken rig. Im really scared to upgrade though. Im strongly considering leaving windows forever and going mac soon especially because every program I use is on Mac (except VS2013 but thats fine). MS really pisses me off......

but yes I will be getting Windows 10 :)

14. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

IDK, I always have major reservations about a new Windows. That and I want to see what kinda of astrixis come with being "free".

15. Breyer

Breyer

as someone mentioned i will wait several month when there will be already some patches on serious bugs. Definitely looking for w10 though, already reserved (you can postpone update and still have reservation)

16. kittik

kittik

I'll be utilising DX12 on Win 10 very soon.

17. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I forgot about Community. I was hesitant to upgrade to 2015 VS Pro because I lose my license when my BizSpark membership ends. I'll just switch to Community.

18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

But that's not multiplatform! Sadface.

19. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I agree that tying the latest version of DirectX to the latest version of Windows has always been a problem, and that problem has repeatedly segmented the marketplace. In fact, Microsoft's policies have actually undermined the adoption rate of the latest DirectX versions. For years, developers were forced to keep releasing DirectX9 games even though DirectX11 games clearly had significant visual advantages. My only hope this round is that Microsoft's decision to give all of the existing Windows 7/8/8.1 users a free upgrade to Windows 10 will be enough to get wide adoption of DirectX12. DirectX12 is one of those technologies that will allow for a sudden bump in the awesomeness of modern games.

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Or Source 2 and Vulkan will suddenly become the biggest thing ever :3

21. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I ran windows 10 preview with unity for quite awhile and it worked perfectly. I also ran both visual studio 2013 Ultimate and 2015 RC with Unity VS (now known as visual studio tools for unity) with no problems. And I've been using vs2015 for a production project for a couple of weeks and love it except for the bizarre decision to move static code analysis results to the error window which makes it hard to pick out CA issues since its not filterable.

I could be wrong but I think Microsoft is disconnecting windows and dx releases this time around.

While it can be corrupt install, these type of issues are normally indicative of hardware (ram, CPU, mainboard or power) or driver issues and may not be fixed with an upgrade to 10. I would highly recommend doing a baremetal backup and then doing a refresh to revert back to initial install and see what happens, or reinstall windows. I would still very highly recommend the upgrade to 10 bit it might be good to diagnose your current issues first.

Ryiah and calmcarrots like this.
  22. LaneFox

LaneFox

Windows 10 is the tits.

23. Tanel

Tanel

Don't get the 8 hate, been on it from the start almost without any issues.

I'll upgrade to 10 for sure, there's a few other important software besides Unity and VS I'd like to make sure will work without problems though first.

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, upgrading. I'm expecting all my stuff to still work, so no reason not to.

25. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

It's definitely not a driver issue as I checked all of them and updated them to the most stable version there is. Also, I cannot refresh or reinstall because like I said, Microsoft never recorded my purchase for some reason so they can't give me my product key (how come I can't access this information from the system information panel?!?!). In order to refresh or completely erase all data, I have to have the product key. So this means I can't sell this computer when I get a new one :(

Whatever, I think Im switching to Mac and I will do a dual boot with Windows 10 to try it.

26. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

CalmCarrots: Based on the issues you are seeing with your computer, it is very possible that something like the RAM is the problem. Try booting your computer with a MemTest CD and let it run for a while. See if there are any hardware errors. If there are, power your computer down, unseat the memory, re-install the memory, and then boot the computer back up with MemTest and run the tests again. Sometimes memory just needs to be reseated. Other times it needs to be replaced.

Next, install the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and scan your computer with it. Make sure the instabilities are not being caused by malware.

calmcarrots likes this.
  27. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Not Malware because I have anti virus.... but I will try what you have said and let you know soon.

28. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I believe there are audit tools that will let you extract your product key from the registry. I'll see if I can dig one up. Where did you purchase your copy of Windows? Was it retail box or digital delivery? New install or upgrade?

29. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Bought it on microsoft.com as an upgrade. And is there really a tool that would extract product keys? That's amazing!

30. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yep. Pm'd you a link.

calmcarrots likes this.
  31. Ryiah

Ryiah

You could try checking the registry for the key. On Windows 7 it is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion as a string named ProductId.

32. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I think it changed and may be encoded in Windows 8 but audit tools like Belarc Advisor can still retrieve it for you.

33. tango209

tango209

I would still run malewarebytes. We are pretty locked down at my day job and yet we see a virus every six months or so. Though I would suspect hardware problems as others have noted.

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm using the Win 10 Tech Preview on one of my machines. I have run into bugs with it from time to time, but none have been particular to Unity or Visual Studio.

UPlay and some of its games picked it up as a security issue for a while, that seems to have been fixed for quite a while now. One of my user accounts had its permissions screwed up early on and couldn't use its own Start menu etc, hasn't happened again since I did an update and made a new one. I had occasional issues with keyboard/mouse input, though they all but disappeared after some updates. Other issues have been one-offs and have been getting rarer as the updates march on. All in all it's kind of what I expected from pre-release software.

I think that compatibility with specific programs or vendors is the main thing to be concerned with, so I'd definitely investigate anything important to you before making the jump. Fingers crossed that, like UPlay, most such issues would have been solved by now.

landon912 likes this.
  35. Arowx

Arowx

Chomping at the bit for DX12 or Vulkan (aka Mantle) so definitely, just hoping my aging PC can handle the new OS.

36. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Don't assume that. Anti-virus programs actually miss some of the malware threats.

Ryiah and calmcarrots like this.
  37. thxfoo

thxfoo

Not some, they actually miss most of it.
    You can download the Zeus trojan source code. It has a button to randomize your malware. You press it so often until your binary passes most Antivirus on virus-total and you are good to go. This is a very well known malware, everybody has the source code. Still some clicks on a button and you pass most Antivirus.
    If you create your custom encoder/loader/crypter you will pass all Anti-Virus on first try.

"Antivirus is dead. So sayeth Brian Dye, Symantec's senior vice president for information security"

Ryiah likes this.
  38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Symantec, the company known for the worst anti-virus suite, is one of the last companies I'd waste time listening to. :p

39. Socrates

Socrates

Back on topic: Yes, I'll be updating to Windows 10 on two machines. My primary machine will wait a while though, to give time for others to find the bugs first. :) The other machine is primarily used for playing music and video while I'm using the primary machine, so there's fewer complicated programs to conflict with the new version of Windows. (Plus, it really needs an OS reload now anyway.)

Edit: I just hope they return more functionality to control individual text and component sizes. Under Vista, I had complete control and could adjust for my vision issues. Under Windows 8.1, I have almost no real control and too many things are too dang small.

40. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I expect software will run just fine. If not in the initial release then after the first round or two of patches come out.

I don't plan on upgrading though. I was very interested in it because I kept hearing how it was better than Windows 8.1. Leaner and meaner and so forth. After watching a few videos going over it I have no interest. Looks like they just slapped in yet more stupid stuff to bog the machines down. From the vids it looked like Cortana is now in it. And some crazy thing where every time you attempt to make an online purchase the computer (apparently using your web cam... I guess) "searching for you" to confirm your identity before allowing the purchase. Other than those and a few other junk upgrades the only thing that looked interesting was the return (in some fashion at least) of the Start Menu.

I'd be more curious as to why people would want to upgrade.

41. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't tried modifying it, but I have noticed that Windows 10 displays stuff really differently depending on whether it's on my TV or one of my monitors without you having to tell it to. If my desktop is displaying on my TV everything gets bigger even though the resolution is the same, so it's still comfortable to use from couch distance. Same deal with Steam and web browsers. I don't know about Win8, but Win7 didn't do that on its own.

42. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I heard reports a while back that Candy Crush Saga will be pre installed. This is why Apple has better OS updates. They come out often, it usually works with all your software, and they never put bloatware. If only Microsoft could follow, I would be a happy person

43. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Candy Crush Saga. lol It really wouldn't surprise me. ;)

I have been working on Windows 8.1 turning crap off and styling it more to my liking. I am happy with it. It is basically very much like Windows 7 on my work laptop at this point. Killed that Start Page and implemented a Start Menu. Same desktop background as my old personal laptop. Kind of feels like home. lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    calmcarrots likes this.
  44. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

That looks really nice man. Will you ever upgrade to 10 at all or only when you need to?

45. jeffreyg

jeffreyg

do you just download the Windows 7,8 and 8.1 version on Windows 10 or is there something else you have to do?

46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, just the normal one.

jeffreyg likes this.
  47. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Considering I was happy with XP and stayed with it for a long time before moving to Vista and was happy with it up til now (heck still am it is what is on my old laptop) there needs to be a reason to upgrade. Adding more and more nonsense (to me... I get the average non-computer savvy user may like all of this new stuff) does nothing to gain my interest.

Now if they said Windows 10 is 2 to 3 times as fast as Windows 8.1 using much less RAM, CPU and so forth just for the OS that would get me interested. I want something "real" something practical that makes it better all around for any and every software I use.

I think some people just don't get how much crap they put into these things. I bought a laptop for my step daughter a couple years ago. It had Windows 8 on it. I told her give me a few days to optimize it. When I got it booted up in 28 seconds. When I gave it to her it booted in 8 seconds and was just much faster doing anything and everything. It was a $450 laptop from Walmart. She texted me a couple weeks after starting college and said thank you so much this laptop is so fast it is crazy. The techie guys asked me how it is so fast. They have these fancy $1500 machines and are slower than mine. I love it! lol

calmcarrots and randomperson42 like this.
  48. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

The vast majority of that crap is put on by vendors though, not actually part of Windows itself.

49. tango209

tango209

It's a new feature called Continuum that automatically adjusts for the type of device you are on/displaying to (phone, touch, tv, etc). Eventually, it will allow you to plug in/Bluetooth Windows Phone to your primary display, keyboard, and mouse to run Universal Apps in desktop mode.

Another nice feature are the Virtual Desktops. It's nice to have my dev stuff on one and my personal stuff running in another to clear up some of the clutter.

50. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Nothing fundamentally life or work changing has really been added since Win 7 as far as I can tell. (Maybe even Vista?) Everything since then has mostly been about platform convergence, and Win10 seems to follow that theme.

On that note, the main interesting thing to me is the idea of having the one OS across multiple devices. I'm not sure what the practical applications of that are yet, but I'm intrigued to find out.