Search Unity

Are there live games using unet?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by mrm83, Jun 14, 2016.

1. mrm83

mrm83

Are there actually live games using unet?

I have a game using unet at the moment and my users are reporting frequent disconnects.

I couldn't reproduce it when I tried with my own 2 devices but when I connect with real users I noticed jitter ing and them disconnecting. It just doesn't work.. good.

Is it because I am using the 100 free ccu and not live mode?

Is it because there's only 3 servers? (I've read somewhere).

Is it because of my code? (But it is fine when I connect with my own devices)

2. srylain

srylain

Somewhere in a Start() function, use:

NetworkManager.singleton.connectionConfig.NetworkDropThreshold = 90;

From what the devs were telling me, was that by default that value is 5. Which means that if there's more than 5% packet loss in between UNET's heart beat packets it'll raise the send rate value (so it doesn't send packets as often) and it can easily get higher than the timeout values you have set which causes the disconnection.

Before changing the value to 90, I was getting disconnects very frequently within five to ten minutes.

3. KnightPista

KnightPista

Is your game set as Live? If not there is 4k/sec bandwidth limit when using Relay server. After crossing the limit for some time users get disconnected.

4. mrm83

mrm83

Let me try the dropthreshold.

I have requested live, they responded saying i dont need live as i have requested less than 100 ccu. told me i can just use the free ones.

5. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

The 4k/sec limit is per player (which is a pretty decent ceiling and not terribly difficult to optimize for), and the limit does not go away if your game is set to live by UT.

6. KnightPista

KnightPista

Where is written that the bandwidth limit is applied also for Live games?

The calculator is set to 3.91 kb/sec by default, and increasing any value increases the bandwidth even over 5 kb/sec+.

7. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

There's always a limit, but in live mode you set it. If you make a request for something equal to what you already have (i.e. 200 CCU @ 4.5k/sec per CCU) we dont enable live mode because you already have what you need.

Live mode is there for when you need to raise either limit to support your production, and you specify that limit when you request the live mode through the calculator on the service page.

8. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

My mistake, I was going off forum posts from before the calculator was put up.

What if you misjudge what you need, and your game sees an unexpected amount of sales and users? The forums have some horror stories about how long it takes to get approved for live; would you just be SoL for a few weeks?

9. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

@PrimeDerektive
    No you shouldn't be out of luck, the issues people have been talking about are almost all actually cases where we didn't approve because they already had a pro license and requested less than 200CCU and less than 4.5k/sec per CCU. We had some process problems around messaging those developers that they were already good to go and didn't need any changes.
    But to answer your question, yes you can just raise your limits again. The limits are always enforced so each developer can decide what their worst case they want to pay for is. You can certainly choose a very high ceiling for your numbers and it wont affect your billing unless you actually use that bandwidth because you only pay for what you actually use.
    That said if you put in 1,000,000 CCU on the calculator we would probably try to double check with you that that's actually what you're looking for. More typical ranges tend to be in the thousands or maybe tens of thousands per game.

10. PrakNep

PrakNep

I still dotn know whats with the CCU limit :'(
    Suppose I have a full project set with UNet and I want to release my game globally on the major appstores. But Im on a free edition of Unity. When i read the multiplayer page, it says 20 CCU limit. What else do I need to know? What if I crossed that limit? Im ready to pay for relay servers for used bandwidth, but the CCU limit is keeping me out. Please reply @jeremy-Unity or someone please... Wont more than 20 players be able to play my game? WHat if my game gets 30 players in the first day? Only 20 can play my online game at the same time? And 10 get rejected?

11. sivaliZation

sivaliZation