Search Unity

Are any other developers making less than $100,000 unhappy with what they have been offered today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RegularSlinky, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Joviex

Joviex

I totally agree.

However, I gotta laugh my arse off every time a release comes around.

They never seem to clarify and make a clean release, and always have a bunch of questions lingering around.

First thing they should evaluate and streamline is communication.

I think that has been a thing for a lot of people for a long time.

Woodlauncher likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Now that's partly true! I deal mostly in code while our creative deals in procrastination, which is a feature of enlighten that allows you to surf the web. I'm kidding, he works hard :)

jashan likes this.
  3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

HEY!!! New info, sorry about that.

So I've spoken to legal and everyone involved, we've cleared it up, forget about all the below, you can upgrade your 4.x pro project into 5 personal. GO NUTS.

4. Socrates

Socrates

Wait, we weren't all already going nuts here? ;)

Aurore likes this.
  5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

NORE NUTS....wait

superpig, Myhijim and hippocoder like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've quoted because I'm mean so you don't edit it. It's made me laugh for ages :D

Aurore and Myhijim like this.
  7. Saxi

Saxi

Explain to me the limit of the one person needing mobile.

Cause it sounds great, but I have a feeling if I called Unity (if that was even possible) they would say no you need a license for every single machine.

How is it different than Pro/Personal and what determines you are "using mobile". Same project that has mobile builds? Actually writing mobile code? Building to mobile devices? Where is the line drawn, because everyone on the team is going to touch mobile code in some way or another or will need to deal with it but only one maybe building.

8. Metron

Metron

Sorry, but this statement is just plain wrong in regards to the Eula which says you cannot mix Pro/Non-Pro. The Eula wording enforces me to purchase the Pro versions of Android/iOS even if only 1 developper is actually working with the pro version.

Examples of this enforcements in the Eula:

"Unity Pro users who are not eligible to use Unity Personal may not develop and publish Licensee Content for the iOS and Android platforms without purchasing the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Product license."

"You May Not Use Unity Personal with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products"

"You may not combine or integrate Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Personal simultaneously with any Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products."

"if you are a Unity Personal user and the above thresholds are exceeded, then you may no longer use Unity Personal, and you must either purchase Unity Pro or destroy all copies of Unity Personal in your possession or control and cease distribution of any Licensee Content created with the Software"

"If you are using Unity Pro, are not eligible to use Unity Personal and want to develop and publish content for the iOS and Android platforms, you must purchase the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Products to undertake the same."
    And from the FAQ:

"Developing commercial content using the Personal and Professional editions of the Unity editor simultaneously is not allowed."

"Unity Personal Edition includes deployment to Android and iOS with the Personal Edition splash screen. To deploy to iOS and Android without the Personal Edition Splash Screen you must purchase Unity Professional Edition together with iOS Pro and/or Android Pro deployment add-ons."

I talked about this here but I didn't get any official reaction on that, so basically I consider this interpretation right.

9. Saxi

Saxi

Exactly my thoughts and why I suspect Hip refuses to respond to my post.

10. TrentSterling

TrentSterling

Anyone have issues with the refund? I used paypal to preorder U5 but their refund thing needs a credit card. I tried my debit card and got this:

I sent an email to general inquiry 24 hours ago. I'm sure they're busy but I figured I'd mention it here.

11. shaderop

shaderop

The Pro add-ons model does seem inconsistent, confusing, and wonky as hell now.

For example: I get Analytics and Ads with Pro now, but they are only for iOS and Android at the moment (though they would make perfect sense for Web and Windows Store). So those services are useless unless I also buy the mobile add-ons. They are, in effect, features that I have, but not features that I can use unless I pay up for more.

I'm sure it's just a matter or proper messaging, but the whole setup doesn't seem very well-thought-out to me.

I think you nailed it. I voted with my money as well, but once the candidate I voted for was elected for office he went on to pursue an agenda that was very different from the mandate I voted for.

Excellent advice!

By the way, how many posts do you have in this thread alone? ;)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

As I've said, my comment is in regards to pro-pro, not pro-personal.

13. Archania

Archania

Were they awake and sober at the time of this statement? Did you get it in writing and signed... cause you know.. lawyers... :)
    But that is awesome news. Now maybe people can continue their projects.

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  14. Waz

Waz

So, to be clear, do you believe the EULA allows a team composed of 3 people with base Unity Pro and 1 with Unity Pro + mobile add-ons to develop software that is published on both PC and mobile platforms?

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, providing that the porting team handles the port code. It is a niche situation, granted.

16. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I have a side question to this because we can use now use pro or personal on one computer.
    How can i install the personal version of 5 if there is already a pro version on the computer (windows)?
    Ich time i tried to install it to an extra folder and start it it takes the pro license and start with the dark skin.

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  17. Zeblote

Zeblote

You'll need to swap out C:/ProgramData/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf if you want to use two unity 5 licenses on the same computer. But how does that even make sense?

18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

For example if i work on my own project in pro but also on another team that use the personal version. Maybe it is just a wrong idear but i thought that way i can work with the team and not come in trouble with the licens.

19. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well I don't know whether that is needed (you should get an official answer from unity) but in order to use two licenses on the same computer you can do it like this:

1) Activate first license
    2) Copy C:/ProgramData/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf to somewhere else
    3) Delete the original and activate second license
    4) Copy new Unity_v5.x.ulf too
    5) Write a program or batch file or whatever to switch these files around automatically with the press of a button

20. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

I'm having this exact same problem, and I'm not very happy about not getting any sort of response so far.

I don't have my Unity 5 pro license anymore, and I'm having a problem getting my money refunded. I want some damned support to resolve this.

21. TrentSterling

TrentSterling

I'm curious - did you send an email to support? Which address did you use? I'm wondering when it'd be appropriate to send another email.

22. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

I went through their support form system and then posted here hoping a moderator or Unity team member would point me in the right direction as far as who to contact. I haven't gotten a reply at all.

TrentSterling likes this.
  23. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

So some news, this is now the screen I'm getting. Tried it twice with two different cards, still getting this error. No word from support which I contacted over 24 hours ago. I'm not mad about this or thinking anything negative about Unity because of this, I just want to know what's going on. I'm willing to be patient as far as receiving the refund as long as I know this is being addressed.

Attached Files:

• help.gif
      help.gif
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  24. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

This still isn't working, still no reply on the forums or via support.

25. Ostwind

Ostwind

Why such a rush or panic? it's not like you would get it instantly anyways and there was plenty of time given. Support is probably overloaded cause of various issues and bunch of the other team is busy with gdc.

26. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Because there's a problem with my refund and I don't know what it is. My license is deactivated, so basically until I at least hear something (anything) from support it makes me very anxious. I just want to know what's going on and what steps I can take to get the ball rolling.

27. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well you already saw that others have similar problems too and have reported it to support. Things don't happen any faster if everyone will spam more tickets and on forum every few hours. If they have server issues they will get back to everyone when they are resolved or if it will take a bit longer they will do an update in the ticket.

28. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

I haven't been spamming tickets. I'm just trying to get a mod or unity employee to give some form of info. I'd also be happy with just getting a response back from the support ticket I sent over 28 hours ago.

Does it really matter to you if I try to get some form of communication about this, something that doesn't effect you at all?

TrentSterling and Tethys like this.
  29. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well I guess you can't even notice it yourself then. What do you think the forums would look like if everyone would post until they get an answer? you already mailed support and barely waited the time it says in the ticket? then posted almost several time today in this thread and still demand an answer from an employee or a mod? Me!, me! much?

Ignore add bye :rolleyes:

30. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

I didn't receive a time to wait on any ticket? Just a generic response e-mail that said they'd have a member of support contact me as soon as they are able. That's the thing, I don't know if I used the correct method to contact support. That's what I'm wanting to know. Which, surprise surprise, I was correct, I used the incorrect method. Now that I've e-mailed support directly instead of through the form on the website I actually have a ticket number. If I had received a reply about this from someone on the forum yesterday, I'd have been here a lot sooner.

31. Tethys

Tethys

Why such a rush Ostwind asks? How about a better question, why does Ostwind have to continually feel the need to stick up for Unity, and in the process fail to add anything useful to the conversation but indeed keeps egging others who are unhappy on?

Why such a rush, I'll tell you why, because thats how some business's work. Paying customers typically expect a pretty quick response to their issues, especially in a situation like this where so many paying devs are upset about footing the bill for the freebies, that they want to speak with their wallets - immediately - to send a message to Unity. If they give away 100 refunds today they lose $150k - thats a nice strong message. Again, very typical in this type of market, and also the recommended way of consumers showing their displeasure with something they PAID for - they speak with their wallets. William has encountered numerous errors, issues and holdups to a process that Unity was saying on Facebook was pretty easy to get done. Their number one quick response here and on Facebook is "Ask for a refund" followed by the link (which to me says we are ready to take care of you). Ostwind, if you dont have anything positive to add or answer to Williams question, why not just say out of the conversation?

32. Saxi

Saxi

Can we keep this on topic and why Unity has decided to have Pro users finance the hundreds of thousand of free users with virtually no benefit.

33. Zeblote

Zeblote

Because it is the only option to stay competitive with unreal engine going free. What do you think?

34. Tethys

Tethys

^ This. Would be great to get a response. Im not sure free and democratizing the engine game even more is of any benefit to people actually trying to make a living in this industry. I think people are too quick to forget, or too young to know about the big gaming bust that happened back in the day with Atari games. The market became so oversaturated with crap cheap games, which contributed to the industry busting. Yay for the race to the bottom. :/

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's already happened, which makes it all the more important for you to have a lower barrier to entry. Both UE4 and Unity provide low barriers to entry.

The amount of time worrying about it should really be spent making your game as best as they can be.

36. TrentSterling

TrentSterling

Which email is that? I also used the form. No ticket number for me.

37. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

support@unity3d.com

I also included my invoices in the email, as I'd suggest you do as well.

See, there's a reason why people having problems are coming here. Who to contact in this case isn't very clear.

TrentSterling and Tethys like this.
  38. Tethys

Tethys

Thanks for sharing that info William!

39. darkhog

darkhog

The only thing I'm unhappy about is Unity getting "personal" with devs mentioned in the thread title, if you know what I mean. And even that is minor compared to what were my complaints about 4.x series.

40. Saxi

Saxi

Race to the bottom at it's finest.

hippocoder likes this.
  41. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

lol. And why you think you're making quality games here? Maybe you're the one making the cheap S***ty games that are killing the industry?

nipoco likes this.
  42. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

As you can imagine the support team are very busy processing lost's of requests and support tickets asking various licensing questions. We do aim for a 24 hour response time but at times like this it may take a little longer to process due to the sheer volume of tickets submitted. Also the support team work GMT time (like myself, 22:57 here) so you won't get a reply between 5-9pm(GMT), hopefully tomorrow.

43. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Thank you much!

44. Squiggledome

Squiggledome

Am I the only Pro user that wants that animated splashscreen? I can't seem to find a setting to enable it anywhere.

45. Tanel

Tanel

Nope, others have mentioned they like it too (without 'personal' though :p). The animation seems to get universal praise.

Squiggledome likes this.
  46. Squiggledome

Squiggledome

I agree, I prefer without the Personal. Though having Indie title--we would come back in a full circle since Unity had an Indie license several years ago. I say just have a simple animated logo with the name Unity. That's it!

47. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We intend to offer an option for that but it didn't make it for 5.0. Look for it in an upcoming patch release.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

...hopefully an enum so we can choose to have it without text on pro :)
    and a sandwich version for free.

49. Tanel

Tanel

For Pro's maybe a custom string option would be cool (probably with some rules against vulgarity and stuff i guess).

50. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I think it would be cool to just have a selection of different splash options, in different styles to match your game. (and of course tag lines).

TylerPerry likes this.