Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Are 4 cores cpus enough for the future?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by O_and_N, Jul 28, 2015.

1. O_and_N

O_and_N

Im going to retire my old first gen i7 950 as lightning builds are slow(so is my hardware i supose).Was thinking on probaly going to the UK for a job hunt and will want to take a new pc with me.I can build easy a sff 6-8 core pc(mini or micro itx)that is about a 10-12kg but on the other day i was looking at the dell m6800 laptop.Its only 3.8kg(big for a laptop)but easyer to have on the plane and quite powerfull.The thing is that even the best mobille cpus like the i7-4910MQ are 4 core cpus(probably 92-94% of what is a desktop i7 4790 is).
    I know its a few generations newer 22nm and all that but if i take this rute will i be regreting it when building times come in unity?
    I dont know how many people are still with 4 cores but looking at the unity hardware statisics i see a lot of 4 and 2 core processors.

So leaving the ram and gpu a side ,do you think it will be a good investment going with the laptop or shoud i use more mussle and make a small sff pc build?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

4 cores are enough for the future. Going to 6 cores or 8 cores in the current climate probably won't help unless you do a serious amount of multi threaded work. Cores don't mean performance. You can have an 8 core AMD run worse than a 2 core i5. Go figure.

Baking isn't fully threaded either (only some stages go wide). Go for something with brutally good single core performance and don't settle for less than 4 cores + hyperthreading. This means any latest Intel i7.

A great SSD - any latest samsung for instance - will make for a nippier machine all round and if baking is something you do often - 32 gb of ram :)

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  3. O_and_N

O_and_N

Thank you hippo :) Yeah,the laptop can support 32gb of ram and a ssd.The i7-4910MQ that it has is 2,9 ghz and turboboos to 3.9 if not mistaking and just using a single core is 3.7.A nice gpu like the quadro k5100m (which from what i see in games is more than a gtx 760 .On words it sounds good.Still i will wait for a few more words of wisdom from the users.

4. O_and_N

O_and_N

A quick bump out of curiosity to know how are other peoples cpus behaving when building.(just to have a general idea if im ok with my plan on going mobille)(mac opinions are welcome too).