Search Unity

Apple enforces 64 bit in february

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by TandT, Oct 21, 2014.

1. TandT

TandT

Now the question ... is unity prepared for it ?
    Last information i had was that there is no full 64 bit support planned.

2. protopop

protopop

3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity 4.2 probably not but the last version of the 4.x Version (4.6 or maybe 4.7) and the last 5.x if its out in time.
    Upgrading is sometimes a pain but i have upgraded a project form 3.5 to 4.5 for iOS and it worked out so upgrading to the last 4.x version should be doable.

protopop likes this.
  4. protopop

protopop

Thanks for the reply fffMalzbier:)

I have this sinking feeling i'm in trouble because the 4.2 IOS Tree bug/regression hasn't been fixed in over a year, and everytime it's said to be fixed it isn't. Basically terrain tree framerates have been unplayable since version 4.3, and my game is already on the app store with tons of trees, so if i upgrade you suddenly won't be able to play it.

I can't upgrade until they fix the regression and i'm really stressed that I wont be able to use Unity to update my game on the app store after February because of this (my latest update was released today https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id885657108?mt=8 ). I really hope to get more information about Unity 4.2 being able to build 64 bit apps.

If they do fix the Unity Bug that will be amazing because they have to implement 64bit IOS builds now in at least Unity 5, or they'll lose their whole IOS developer stable.

5. greg-harding

greg-harding

Apple says "Starting February 1, 2015, new iOS apps uploaded to the App Store must include 64-bit support..." (https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=10202014a).

It states 'new', not 'existing', so it sounds like it shouldn't affect current apps.

6. protopop

protopop

Thanks Greg - it's great that you caught that. It does offer some releif.

I guess what i need to find out now is if updating your 32bit app is OK too.

I have also planned releases for 2015 that are affected by the Unity bug (more terrain games) but at least this gives me some more time to try and find a workaround (or maybe the bug will be fixed in Unity 5, solving everything:)

it also says "To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code." - i wonder if we can build a 64bit app now for IOS? I read that Unity already builds 64bit PC apps.

If anyone has any insight about this that would be great.

7. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The big question for me is, does unity need just to update the default xCode project or does the Unity mono code does need to be converted to 64 bit. If its just the xCode project i could think of just grabbing the newer xCode base project of the new unity version and replace the old one in the older version of unity.

@protopop is the tree error in 4.6 fixed? if not it could be difficult to say if its coming to 4.x because they say "Status: Fixed in future release".

8. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste

9. protopop

protopop

@fffMalzbier Unfortunately the Unity IOS Terrain Tree bug hasn't been fixed in 4.6 (details are here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ca...ree-bug-is-fixed-unity-4-3-and-higher.259116/)

I was told it's been fixed in Unity 5and will be ported back to 4.5, but in 4.5.4 release notes (http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.5.4) it says Terrain: Improved tree culling performance but performance is not fixed. I don't know if that was meant to be the official Unity 5 fix they were talking about or if its just an incremental performance fix but either way the regression remains.

Jerome is right - i just read an official apple repost that Update will require 64bit and IOS8

So starting in February basically all app submissions (is there any other kind aside from new apps and updates?) will need to be 64 bit.

I'm stuck on Unity 4.2 so if Unity doesn't offer 64bot builds for earlier versions we will not be able to update our app.

This is a buisness-breaking issue so I hope we can get some kind of official Unity confirmation about the 64bit build ability of 3.x and 4.x Unity versions.

10. protopop

protopop

theres another issue. Apps and updates will also need to be built using the IOS8 SDK.

I built using Unity 4.2 and Xcode 6.1 and got this:

From what i understand there is a patch for 4.5 http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wrong-screen-orientation-with-ios8.269175/

It looks like Unity 4.2 doesn't meet Apples February requirements to update our apps using IOS8 SDK. Is there a way to fix this for Unity 4.2 and earlier?

11. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We are working on action plan for 64 bit support. We will announce it once we settle on details.

12. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

Please support 64 bit with 4.5 or 4.6, did not have enough money prepared for upgrade to Unity 5, but the deadline of February is so close.

13. VIC20

VIC20

Although I am a pro subscriber I would love to see 64bit in Unity 4 too.
    I just don't want to be forced to switch to Unity 5 early.

14. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

We can not update our games now... Unity is usually pretty good about this stuff... odd this happened

15. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Angry Water, its not even just about "you" having money, its about my whole team, i am not spending 10k to update EVERY copy of Unity, this is ridiculous, and this error should NOT have happened. Not being able to upgrade our 10 games right now is stressful. 2 more weeks and Apple will be swamped, my bet is NO GAMES will be approved till after the holiday... which will crush sales...

I see free Unity5 copies going out for us who are about to loose there butts.

16. Angry-Water

Angry-Water

So sad, I am so worried about this problem, too. The Apple kept my app "In Review" for days even over a week, but it was only a metadata fix issue. I don't know it was all countries' issue or the App which was taken by the review team in Beijing.

Recently the App Review process was so weird, some games even taken over 1 month "In Review", but when they call the developer from Beijing, they can only answer "I don't know" about the detail of metadata issue. That seems "In Review" is just a fake status, actually, they do nothing but change its status for days or month.

I don't know why do they act like that way?

17. protopop

protopop

Unless Unity knew about the 64bit requirement in advance I think they were taken by surprise.

Until now it was OK to be using older versions of Unity. Now anyone not using the latest version is going to need a 64bit patch.

It's a pretty big deal so it's OK to be freaked out. I am too because i am stuck using Unity 4.2 due to a technical requirement.

Hopefully they will sort it out before February:)

18. jRocket

jRocket

Please make unity 3.5.7 support this. I haven't upgraded yet :(

19. mhalttu

mhalttu

Could you provide an update on this? Would it make sense for Unity give an update on the topic even as a blog post or something? This is a pretty serious issue and the current silence isn't very comforting. If I understand correctly, in about 2.5 months nobody will be able to submit any Unity based applications on iOS.

timdan likes this.
  20. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

While there is bit silent from us, I want to assure that development is in progress at full pace.
    Just there are some details we are not yet 100% sure about and once we settle on them we will do both forum and blog posts.

XCO likes this.
  21. mhalttu

mhalttu

Thank you, that is good to hear!

22. Ethan

Ethan

I just wanted to upload updates for my iOS apps but ran into problems while validating, because of the lacking 64 bit support.

Is there ANY way we can upload updates at the moment or do we have to wait for Unity / Apple to handle that issue?

23. protopop

protopop

I can't find the thread now but i read that there was a temporary issue where Apple was rejecting non 64bit apps, but that it was a bug that was fixed. Maybe try submitting the app again?

I know that i just submitted and got approved a 32bit update this week and i did get a yellow warning during the submission that my app was 32bit and that starting February 1 2015 all apps need to be 64bit, but they still accepted it for now.

24. protopop

protopop

That is good news:)

Just curious, is Unity also dealing with the IOS8 SDK requirement for February? (Apple requires both 64bit and IOS 8 SDK) I know i got squished screen results when exporting from Unity 4.2 to IOS 8.

25. Umai

Umai

I'm sorry but, I just joined ship with Unity3D 4.6beta... only to realise you guys haven't built arm64 support for iOS devices into it yet? You didn't see 64 bit coming? It's been out for over a year. DOH wrong turn.

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity 5 beta 13 seems to have Arm64 support and all my games made with Unity 4.6 work on all new devices and apple approved...so dont know what all the fuss is

27. Umai

Umai

It would be nice with an official comment on that. I can't say that I would like to start developing a game NOW if that game can't even be released on the App Store, February 1. Is Unity 4.* already dead? I just versioned up to 4.6 beta to get the new 2D tools... and it's a beta, and it's not even released yet. And it will be dead in ~2 months? Surely someone will have to make move real soon.

28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Who said they cannot be released on Apple store?
    Do you have proof? No, then stop making noise

29. GregMeach

GregMeach

See above quote - no noise involved - Feb 1st 64bit support or GTFO ;-)

30. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Its only a warning. You can use the uploaded build and set it for release - this caught me off guard as well. Turns out I wasn't reading it properly.

31. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

32. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

@MrEsquire, arm64 is not yet enabled in U5b13, but we are already making builds with it enabled for internal testing purposes.

drawcode likes this.
  33. Meltdown

Meltdown

64-bit iOS support will be available in Unity 4.6.
    Earlier versions will not support it.

You will need to upgrade to 4.6 if you wish to submit a new game to the app store after February 1.

34. Moonjump

Moonjump

IL2CPP sounds great and I am looking forward to it, but have one concern:

I remember Unity app sizes being much bigger when they included both armv6 and armv7 compared to an armv6-only build (if I remember correctly, an app of mine jumped to around 28 MB from roughly 16 MB when the OTA limit was 20 MB). Will that issue be repeated when we have both 32-bit and 64-bit?

If there are the same issues, it could push some apps over the 100MB OTA barrier, so it would be nice to know as soon as possible so that development could take that potential into account.

35. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Universal binaries will always be larger then single binaries, as they need to contain multiple architectures. This would also be the case for 32/64-bit universal binaries, and is independent of the technology used to build them. What I don't know is if Apple would require submitting universal binaries, or if it would be possible to supply both as separate downloads, or if Apple might strip binaries before letting the device download them.

36. Moonjump

Moonjump

Apple are recommending a single binary, as mentioned in the blog, and I don't believe they have ever had the option for multiple binary submissions, so I will go on the assumption that will remain the same unless I hear otherwise. Based on how app sizes have grown with Unity updates, this could add 20 MB.

37. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Ah, yes. I should have read our own blog post better then. So, unless Apple has or will build some way to strip binaries before submitting them to the user, then, yes, the assumption that this will significantly increase binary sizes for all Apps is correct.

38. protopop

protopop

Im sure Unity will have 64bit export before June, but this is just a note since many people have been wondering if App updates will also need to be 64bit in February

Beginning June 1, 2015 app updates will also need to include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK.

Mantas-Puida likes this.
  39. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I just want to add, that everyone developing for iOS on Unity versions older than 4.6 should start upgrading to Unity 4.6 (or Unity 5 if they have access to the beta) as soon as possible. This ensures that you are best prepared for these changes. Also if you using 3rd party native plugins, you should contact plugin vendors for 64 bit support early (Prime31 has already added necessary changes).

protopop likes this.
  40. zabrams

zabrams

Does anyone know what Apple defines as a "new" app? Does the app need to actually be for sale in the app store? Submitted for review? Beta uploaded to iTunes Connect? Or just an iTunes Connect record created?

I'm wondering if we should submit for sale an unfinished 32-bit project in Micronesia for a billion dollars buying ourselves time so we can continue working on our existing 32 bit Unity builds until June 1st, or if just having the iTunes Connect and Beta builds uploaded, but not for sale, is fine.

41. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

All app submissions, new or old, updates or completely fresh, must be 64-bit starting in February. There is no way around it, if you try to upload an app's binary to iTunes Connect after February 1, it will fail unless it includes a 64-bit executable and support for iOS 8.

If you submitted a complete app before then and it never needed updating, that's the only way to get around the 64-bit requirement. Once you update it, though, it needs to be 64-bit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  42. Moonjump

Moonjump

I thought it was 1 June deadline for updates?

43. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

That is correct.

44. DungeonMason

DungeonMason

Dear Unity,

I know you guys are really working hard on these IL2CPP 64 bit issue and Unity 5...
    But, even in 4.6.2, we still got the same linking errors in xcode and our project is over-due because of these problem.
    For plug-ins, we are using prime31, playmaker, chartboost, GameAnalytics, websocket-sharp, Poolmanager, FingerGestures.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    3.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_Serializeb()", referenced from:
    5.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    7.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_Serializec()", referenced from:
    9.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    11.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_INTERNAL_CALL_Serializev()", referenced from:
    13.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    15.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_Serializef()", referenced from:
    17.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    19.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_Serializei()", referenced from:
    21.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    23.   "Register_UnityEngine_GameObject_get_networkView()", referenced from:
    25.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    27.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_get_port()", referenced from:
    29.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    31.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_get_dedicatedServer()", referenced from:
    33.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    35.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_get_updateRate()", referenced from:
    37.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    39.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_get_ipAddress()", referenced from:
    41.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    43.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_RegisterHost()", referenced from:
    45.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    47.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_set_dedicatedServer()", referenced from:
    49.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    51.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_PollHostList()", referenced from:
    53.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    55.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_HavePublicAddress()", referenced from:
    57.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    59.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_isMessageQueueRunning()", referenced from:
    61.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    63.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_UnregisterHost()", referenced from:
    65.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    67.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_isServer()", referenced from:
    69.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    71.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_set_port()", referenced from:
    73.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    75.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_CloseConnection()", referenced from:
    77.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    79.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_Internal_GetPlayer()", referenced from:
    81.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    83.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_DestroyPlayerObjects()", referenced from:
    85.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    87.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_sendRate()", referenced from:
    89.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    91.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_isClient()", referenced from:
    93.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    95.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_GetAveragePing()", referenced from:
    97.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    99.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_RequestHostList()", referenced from:
    101.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    103.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_InitializeSecurity()", referenced from:
    105.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    107.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetExternalIP()", referenced from:
    109.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    111.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_minimumAllocatableViewIDs()", referenced from:
    113.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    115.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_SetLevelPrefix()", referenced from:
    117.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    119.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_ClearHostList()", referenced from:
    121.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    123.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_incomingPassword()", referenced from:
    125.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    127.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_isMessageQueueRunning()", referenced from:
    129.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    131.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_minimumAllocatableViewIDs()", referenced from:
    133.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    135.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkViewID_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_GetString()", referenced from:
    137.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    139.   "RegisterClass_NetworkView()", referenced from:
    141.       RegisterAllClasses() in UnityClassRegistration.o
    143.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_Internal_GetTime()", referenced from:
    145.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    147.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_Internal_ConnectToSingleIP()", referenced from:
    149.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    151.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_maxConnections()", referenced from:
    153.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    155.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_peerType()", referenced from:
    157.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    159.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_Disconnect()", referenced from:
    161.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    163.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_sendRate()", referenced from:
    165.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    167.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_InitializeServer()", referenced from:
    169.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    171.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkViewID_get_unassigned()", referenced from:
    173.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    175.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetPort()", referenced from:
    177.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    179.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetExternalPort()", referenced from:
    181.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    183.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_set_ipAddress()", referenced from:
    185.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    187.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_get_connections()", referenced from:
    189.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    191.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_logLevel()", referenced from:
    193.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    195.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkViewID_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_GetOwner()", referenced from:
    197.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    199.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkView_Internal_GetViewID()", referenced from:
    201.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    203.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_get_isWriting()", referenced from:
    205.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    207.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetPlayerIndex()", referenced from:
    209.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    211.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetLocalGUID()", referenced from:
    213.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    215.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_RemoveRPCs()", referenced from:
    217.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    219.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_INTERNAL_CALL_Instantiate()", referenced from:
    221.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    223.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_set_maxConnections()", referenced from:
    225.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    227.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetLocalIP()", referenced from:
    229.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    231.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetLocalPort()", referenced from:
    233.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    235.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkViewID_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_Compare()", referenced from:
    237.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    239.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkViewID_INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_IsMine()", referenced from:
    241.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    243.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetIPAddress()", referenced from:
    245.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    247.   "Register_UnityEngine_Network_GetLastPing()", referenced from:
    249.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    251.   "Register_UnityEngine_BitStream_INTERNAL_CALL_Serializeq()", referenced from:
    253.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    255.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkPlayer_Internal_GetGUID()", referenced from:
    257.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    259.   "Register_UnityEngine_MasterServer_set_updateRate()", referenced from:
    261.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    263.   "Register_UnityEngine_NetworkView_Internal_RPC()", referenced from:
    265.       RegisterAllStrippedInternalCalls() in UnityICallRegistration.o
    267. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    269. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

TokyoDan likes this.
  45. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This is missing RakNet support, we are working to bring it with next updates.

46. jerotas

jerotas

There's never going to be an update to Unity 3 dot anything. So you'll be forced to upgrade.

47. User340

User340

Yup, and while you're at it please do 2.x and 1.x please!

48. larku

larku

Seem that lots of people believe this (as did I) but this official word from Apple states clearly that the cut-off date for updates is 1-June-2015: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12172014b (note this news item is dated Dec-17-2014 vs the previously provided link was a news item from Oct-20-2014. I'm trusting the later news item)

Quote from that link:

As we announced in October, beginning on February 1, 2015 new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK. Beginning June 1, 2015 app updates will also need to follow the same requirements. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code.

[emphasis mine]​

So we've got a few more months for our existing apps before we need to provide 64bit. I might wait for IL2CPP to mature a bit before I do a release based on it.

49. Dover8

Dover8

Does anyone know at what point of the submission process the deadline affects? We have uploaded an update for an app that does not have 64 bit support. If it does not go into review before the 1st of June is it going to be automatically rejected? Or are we ok because we have submitted it before the deadline?

50. larku

larku

Here is the latest from Apple on this: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=04082015a

Quote:

As a reminder, beginning June 1, 2015 app updates submitted to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code. For more information, read the 64-Bit Transition Guide for Cocoa Touch.

It does explicitly state "submitted" so I'd say you're in the clear. But being Apple there's never any guarantees.