Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

App size, how to reduce ?

Discussion in '2D' started by J9383731, Apr 30, 2016.

1. J9383731

J9383731

If I create an empty unity project and build an ios "release" out of that, the compiled .app is approximately 48mg's. Which I think is pretty huge for a game without any assets whatsoever. My other project (a real game still in development) only has 1.8mg's of Assets (scripts, sound and grfx) so far, but when I compile that as an ios release, all of a sudden the app size jumps to 70mg's (22mg's bigger) !! I'm not using any 3rd party libs or plugins. It's all just C# scripts, and a few mock graphics and sound which in-total equate to 1.8mg's. I am using the VCCode plugin so that I may use Microsoft Code as my editor, but that shouldn't be adding to an ios release size.

Two questions.
    1. How does 1.8mg's equate to (add) 22mg's during compile?
    2. What are the things I need to be looking at to reduce my app size (minus the obvious music, graphics).

2. Kazen

Kazen

If you have a Resources-folder, everything that's in there will be packed into the final product even if it's not used. Maybe that causes problems for you?

3. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

The base app size will be something like 30-40MB for android, and even more for iOS I believe. There's no two ways about it, it's just something to accept if you're going to use Unity.

WebGL however uses an assembly stripping technique to remove any unused engine modules, so perhaps there's a way to do that for other platforms as well, if it doesn't already happen automatically.

iOS builds are bigger for me because the art assets get compressed using a different format which is larger, and the build in general is larger. Lots of apps for iOS are around 200MB. Most of the google suite is around that size.