Search Unity

Apocalypse City: Last Stand *Free to Play Browser-Based Survival Game!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jonkuze, May 18, 2015.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

header.png

*Free to Play Browser-Based Survival Game!

Check out Apocalypse City: Last Stand - Gameplay (v1.0) on YouTube: Youtube.com

About Game:

MijiKai Game Studio presents Apocalypse City: Last Stand! An Epic New Casual Game. *Free to Play, Browser-based Survival Game. Featuring fast-paced survival action in your web browser Powered by Unity 5 WebGL!

Apocalypse City: Last Stand is a casual survival game that includes deathmatch style gameplay with survival elements. Engage in untimed free-for-all matches while exploring post-apocalyptic environments trying to survive mutated creatures and rogue survivors. Search for loot such as armor, medkits, and extra ammo to gun down your enemies. Hunt mutated creatures, battle for top ranking survivor status, or make a friend and try to survive together!

1.3.0.png

Game Features:
    • Free To Play: No purchase necessary to play
    • Play Anywhere: Play anywhere, anytime on any Windows, Mac, or Linux-based OS with WebGL enabled Web Browsers.
    • Survival Gameplay: Explore a post-apocalyptic environment, search for loot, survive mutated creatures and up to 4 players per game session.
    • Infinite Play: Engage in an free-for-all deathmatch that has no end, play until you've killed your share of mutated creatures for the day, or racked in enough player kills to stock up on points for the leaderboard.
    • Loot Items: Discover various loot (pickup) items in-game that will aid your survival per game session.
    • Mutants: Beware of mutated creatures that roam the apocalypse, they will hunt you and your friends at all cost.
    • Kill Points: Points are awarded for player kills earned and stored for daily, weekly, and monthly high-scores.
    • Leaderboard: Compete against other players for top ranking survivor status of the game!
    Social Networks:

Visit Official Website: Apocalypsecity.com | Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com | Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

its clear that you haven't used your own assets as they all look out of place. i suggest you invest in a 3d modeler to create everything in the same style. it just looks thrown together to me

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes, you are right I am using Unity Assets. You might be surprised to learn that there are only two artists involved with the assets included in the game. One artist created the entire post-apocalyptic environment you see here, and another artist created the characters. I personally think the art styles mesh well, but if you don't agree that's OK. Thanks for you feedback.

4. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hello!
    Best of luck on your new project, it looks and sounds cool!
    I'd just suggest you to either learn just a few basic things of 3D modelling or investing in a modeler in order to be able to show it here on the forum, from my experience people will pick on your game if you use too many assets! :)

But it looks cool so far, if you just somehow fix what I told you it'll definitely have a word here.
    Good luck!

jonkuze likes this.
  5. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Sykoo! I honestly don't care if people decide to pick on my games because I use Unity Assets. I believe royalty free assets are available for a reason other than just using them for prototyping or smaller uses. If I can make a fully playable game doing so, I most certainly will and continue doing so. What some may not get is that most gamers will not notice the difference or even care about the assets used as long as the game is fun who cares!

randomperson42 and DrDigg0R like this.
  6. Griffo

Griffo

It's a good start but you really need to get the scale of ALL the game objects to match ..

The player and enemy are way to small for the environment.

jonkuze likes this.
  7. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks for reminder about the scale. I think re-scaling the characters to match the size of the buildings will do the trick as it's very noticeable probably when the player walks through the oversize looking door way into the store lol. I'll also have to scale up a lot of smaller assets like the light poles, mailboxes, cars, trees, etc to match size. Thanks for feedback! I look forward to posting some more updates and when it's available to play online.

8. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

i wouldnt scale the player it could cause issues with physics and some of the script. i suggest just matching the models. that the main reason i suggest not using bought models as there scaled differntly

9. jonkuze

jonkuze

Scaling the charactes won't cause issues at least not with my game. Some other projects who depend heavily on physics might have an issue, but in my case it's OK. That's all that needs to be done, along with the other mentioned smaller objects that need to be scaled up to match the size of the buildings.

Also, even if I hired a modeler (which I can't afford) to do custom work I can still very easily run into the same issue with scale, so buying assets or not still can present the same issue. Still need to spend time properly scaling game objects regardless if it's custom work or not.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Kuroato - Looking good to me at the moment, and since this is a wip I can see the potential in it.

A couple small points -

The jump looks a little floaty to me. You may be incorporating a jump with additional frames in the future which I think would improve the floatiness, but for now, I think adjusting the jump height will work, though it may break him climbing on onto things.

There was an odd anomaly which I noticed in the video, when the player was being attacked from the back, the bullets seemed to jump to the right of the player. It actually looked like there was a enemy character behind the player shooting at him.

The audio at this point seems very (I don't really know how to describe it) under processed? It seems like all the audio queues are local and don't resonate throughout the area. Nope - I can't describe it properly. o_O Sorry.
    Check with an audio guy. He will tell you what I'm trying to say. :)

Overall nice work so far.

jonkuze likes this.
  11. jonkuze

jonkuze

Nice review and feedback! Thanks alot, all very helpful points I will definitely look further into for sure in the coming weeks. It's all the little things that count and add to the quality of a game, so thank you! ^_^

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! OK guys, so here is the latest. We have a pretty good playable, working build of the game. While the game might still have some sync bugs here and there, for the most part it's ready for initial release! Most of the Critical Bugs have been resolved, and we just need to optimize a bit more to reduce the build (download) size of the game. Stay tuned for more info coming soon... :D

13. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

jonkuze likes this.
  14. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Like the idea of infinite play, looks fun so far!

jonkuze likes this.
  15. jonkuze

jonkuze

16. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks GoGo! ^_^

17. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! Apocalypse City: Last Stand - WebGL Build v1.0 Released!

Play Now Only at Official Website: http://apocalypsecity.net/, Check it out!

Game Build v1.0 Release Notes: Current WebGL Build Size is 63MB, Please wait for Download to Complete. If Game fails to load, try to refresh browser page, close other open tabs, or try another browser (Chrome or Firefox). Please keep in mind we are working on further optimizations to help improve download speed, and performance.

18. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

cant seem to get it to load it keeps getting stuck at 50% ill keep trying tho

19. jonkuze

jonkuze

Darn, yea it actually crashes at my office (day job) computer. I am able to load it just fine at home. Chances are the load issue is related to the Build Size along with a Memory Allocation Issue that WebGL seems to have right now. We have to set a Memory Allocation Size in the Build Setting (I set it to 512MB), which depending on the size you pick can only load on some browsers, and PCs depending on home much Free RAM you actually have (that's my understanding). At home i have 8GB of Ram so I have no issue, at office I have 4GB, I would think it would load OK but nope... :confused:

Hopefully after some more Optimizations it will load better on most PCs, as I should be able to lower the Memory Allocation to something like 384MB, that's my target if not lower.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  20. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

ok man in the meantime what do you think about normal webplayer? id really love to try it out

21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yep, I'll build a Unity Webplayer version as well later this evening after I get out of the cubical... ;)

RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  22. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

awsome

RavenOfCode and jonkuze like this.
  23. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Yep, webplayer would be nice, as i use Opera and WebGL doesnt work for my browser :(

jonkuze likes this.
  24. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! Due to a memory allocation issue with our current WebGL Build, we released a Unity Webplayer Build in the meantime. Check it out here: http://apocalypsecity.net/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  25. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

browswer keeps crashing when trying to load into the game via webplayer

26. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Unfortunately it keeps crashing for me too, tried it twice, once i hit the start server button... Im using opera and i have a moderately powerful gaming desktop (8gb ram, 3.4 ghz cpu, ect.).

27. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

yeah my pc is beyond capable of running it, i am using chrome aswell

28. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Competent rig here also - crashed in firefox browser.

29. jonkuze

jonkuze

bla so weird... I tested this at home, now back at my office PC it crashes for me too... bla!! the pains and struggle of browser games lol. Or I guess all games in general and bugs... hmmm i'll try to debug. I'll let you all know soon.Thanks for reporting the issue, I didn't even test it on another PC until now that I saw your replies.

30. zugsoft

zugsoft

Crash on my computer too with FireFox, IE

31. jonkuze

jonkuze

bla sorry about that... for everyone else sorry about this. I think I know what the problem is. It must be related to me using Websockets in the Webplayer. As recently PUN (Photon Unity Networking) added Websockets for WebGL support. I kept the Websocket protocol in place when building for Webplayer.

Photon support recommends we stick with UDP, the default protocol for PUN when used in Standalone Builds and Webplayer Builds. I forgot to switch back to UDP from Websockets, so that must be part of the issue since it Loads the Main Menu Scene but not the actual game which initiates the Photon Networking when you click start a new game.

Login System is being handled by an API called "id.net" so that part loads OK but not the game which requires PUN. Sadly I'll have to wait until I get back home to fix it... 6 Hours from now... :(

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  32. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Well at least you know the problem... and from my experience with other softwares multilayer games often have issues with the multilayer aspect...

jonkuze likes this.
  33. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! OK sooo, it seems like the Websocket thing was not the issue at all! After two days of trying to debug the darn Webplayer, I finally discovered the game would not load due to a missing terrain shader!!! Unity editor did not even provide the error code until I stripped down the project to just the terrain and camera in scene. Somehow an error finally appeared in the console stating I was missing a shader that was not included in the Graphic Settings. = \

Ah well! Great news is it's fixed now! You guys can finally give the game a test run using Unity Webplayer! Just go the direct website address here to play: http://apocalypsecity.net

Release Notes: Webplayer Build Size: 46MB. Current build version is set to connect to US Region - Photon Cloud, if you have a lot of lag please let us know, and also let us know what region you are playing from.

Please do keep in mind the game is very much in early development. We are releasing this version as the initial playable build; there is definitely a lot more we can add-on to it. Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.

We plan to do some serious mesh baking, and optimizations this weekend to lower the build size and hopefully get a WebGL build working properly without any load (memory allocation) issues. Stay tuned for more updates, and please do provide any feedback regarding the Webplayer version.

34. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

unfortunately its still crashing

35. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Same... something with the server. As its not my computer. Does it work for you Kuraato?

36. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hmmm well I think I just confirmed that there is an issue with PUN (Photon Cloud) which I am going to address to them right now on their thread. Because when I posted the game, it was working fine. Then it was crashing for the past hour, now it was just working I saw someone online hosting a game, I joined no problem, now crashing again... ARG!!!

I guess this is what happens when you depend on other people to host your server! So damn frustrating... PUN does offer their own Standalone Server that I could host as well. So I may have to look into that for better up-time.

I'll keep guys posted on the latest... sorry about this, really appreciate your support in trying to test it! Actually it would be really awesome if you wanted to add me on Skype: jonmalave this way I can message you while online this weekend if you wouldn't mind helping to test.

37. jonkuze

jonkuze

and now it's working... :confused: What the H#%$!!! :mad: Screenshot - TimeStamp: 6:57 PM EST

apc_01.jpg

38. jonkuze

jonkuze

and now it's not working... :confused: What the H#%$!!! :mad: Screenshot - TimeStamp: 7:14 PM EST

apc_02.jpg

39. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

very weird

40. jonkuze

jonkuze

41. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! OK, so i'm currently in the process of mesh baking which should increase the FPS and performance of the game drastically! Additional update, after setting all texture resolution down to 512px we reduced the game build size by 17-20MB. Exciting thing about this is now we are able to build WebGL with 256MB default Memory Allocation.

What does this all mean!? Apocalypse City WebGL Build should now load with little to no issues on most computers and web browsers with WebGL support.

More exciting Updates coming soon...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  42. Archania

Archania

sounds great kuroato... been following your progress and want to give it a go.

43. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks! I have some new Updates... :D

44. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! So after about 24 Hours of non-stop work... Updates, Tweaks, Bug Fixes, Optimizations... I'm proud to to present Apocalypse City: Last Stand - WebGL Build v1.0

Yes, this build actually works lol! Give it a try! Please do provide feedback and any issues you encounter. Keep in mind this is still still early development of the game on WebGL. So bugs or performances issues are expected.

Release Note:

-
    Memory Allocation Error Resolved (Heap Size set to 256MB)
    - Reduce Texture Resolution to 512px to Improve Performance
    - Update Shaders (Shadowgun Simple Shader)
    - Optimized Game Environment w/ SLO (Super Level Optimizer)
    - Update Terrain Level of Detail to Improve Performance
    - Enabled Occlusion Culling
    - Tweak UI, Update Background, Fonts & Style
    - Reduce Number of Zombie AI from 8 to 4 to Improve Performance
    - Increased Zombie Roam Radius, and Status: HP 120, Damage 15-20
    - Resolved Minor Bugs
    - Adjust Audio Settings for Correct Rolloff Playback (may still be buggy)

Additional Optimizations may still be required before we can improve the performance of the game across all Browsers, and Desktop PCs or Mac (CPU, GPU, etc.).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Polywick-Studio likes this.
  45. jonkuze

jonkuze

If you have any trouble loading the WebGL Build for any reason please let us know.

Also here is a WebPlayer Build just in case: http://apocalypsecity.net/webplayer.html

Looking forward to your feedback, bug reports, etc... Thanks all! Now I think I can get some sleep... :confused: for now...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  46. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! Apocalypse City: Last Stand Official Website is Now Live! with recent WebGL Build accessible from the main page. We also have a backup Webplayer Build just in case you can't get WebGL Build to play for now @ http://apocalypsecity.net/webplayer.html

With Unity 5.1 Release, there are some good WebGL Features we hope to utilize very soon that should help to optimize the game even further. Slowly, but surely we will get a much more stable build that hopefully will run across all Browsers and 32-bit / 64-bit Systems. We'll keep you posted... Stay Tuned!

website.png

47. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! Thanks to the latest Unity 5.1 WebGL features, game build size is now down to 43MB compared to a previous 56MB. Game performance has also drastically improved due to a few tweaks, and additional optimizations.

Check out Apocalypse City: Last Stand WebGL Build Today! http://apocalypsecity.net/

We look forward to your feedback and experience with the game! :)

48. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! Interesting enough we tested gameplay today with player from France and Germany. We got tons of lag from France connecting to US Region, but no lag from Germany connecting to US Region. At least this proves out networking code is working properly with no critical bugs. If you experience delay, or any strange behavior in game, it's probably due to a high ping from other connecting clients in different Regions. We will be working to add Best Region auto select feature to the game soon. This will help improve the gameplay experience, and reduce the amount of lag in game. So look out for this Update coming soon!

More about Photon Cloud Regions:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/…/realti…/current/reference/regions

49. jonkuze

jonkuze

Game Update (v1.1.1)

platform.jpg

Release Notes:

- Browser platform options are now available! When player clicks “Play Now” a dialogue prompt will appear providing 2 options to load the game. WebGL, or Unity Webplayer in the event WebGL does not load due to an error.

- Fixed Unity Webplayer ESC Key Bug where Browser would crash upon trying to exit the game.

50. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Wow... I went on a vacation and you just did... ALOT. :)

Looks great looking forward to playing it, ill give you feedback when i finish.