Search Unity

Anyone using "Rain {One}"?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rockysam888, Jul 22, 2011.

1. psyclone

psyclone

Yes, RAIN works very well for that. I have tested traversal over terrain and over other objects, and up and down ramps etc, where there is a consistence gravity.. e.g. a specific up and down.

And with the new patch, if you are a coder you can create you own movement controllers...

2. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all,

Here is the notes and announcement for Patch 1.0.3

RAINone v1.0.3
    --------------

IMPORTANT:
    To all users of v1.0.2 and previous - We have made significant changes to how certain save files are stored. In particular:

Save file locations for navigation and behavior trees have changed. RAIN now forces these files to appear in
    Assets/AI/Resources/BehaviorTree
    and
    Assets/AI/Resources/Navigation

The editor windows will force any filename/path entered to originate in one of the above folders. For example if you enter a path to your waypoint graph file, the editor will create a relative path and place it in the special Resources folder.

Your file extensions may be replaced with Resource friendly file extensions. For example, navigation graph files now are forced to a ".bytes" extension. If you save a file called "waypoints.nav" it will be saved as "waypoints.bytes".

To fix any existing projects, do the following:
    1) For nav files, simply regenerate the files as you did previously. When you do so, RAIN should move the file locations and update your AI. You can strip any path information and just specify the filename if desired.
    2) For Behavior Tree xml, type in the name of your xml file and click Generate Default Behavior Tree XML. Once the new file is generated, either copy the contents of your old file into the new one, or overwrite the old file with your new file.
    --------------

Bug Fixes:
    Fixed deployment issues. RAIN can now be built and deployed in Win, Mac, Web, iOS, and Android
    Fixed Recast generation issue in Mac
    Fixed an issue related to following paths on sloped terrain.

--------------

Feature Changes:
    Added support for Obstacle Avoidance
    - You must rerig your AI. Simply go to Create AI in the RAIN menu and choose the option for Mind you already have set up. This will add an ObstacleAvoidanceCollider to your AI.
    - Checkbox added to PathManager to enable/disable avoidance
    - Avoidance Smoothing Time field in PathManager is used to smooth out jitter. Smaller values produce more responsive avoidance. Larger values reduce jitter effects.
    - Avoidance Checks Per Second field in PathManager is used to reduce computational cost. Smaller values produce less responsive avoidance. Larger values increase computational overhead.
    - Avoidance Strength field in PathManager is used to increase the weight of Avoidance with respect to path following. Larger values increase avoidance at the expense of path following. Smaller values support path following over avoidance.

Developers may now create their own AvatarControllers. See the API docs for more info.

--------------

Known Issues:
    - There are known issues in generating good navmeshes from the recast system. We are aware of these issues and are working to resolve them ASAP.
    - Once you generate per-waypoint navmesh files, the pathfollowing system will always use them. If you want to just use waypoints (and stop using the recast navmeshes) then delete all WaypointXXXX resources from the Assets/AI/Resources/Navigation folder.

Thanks,

Jester

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hello Jester,
    Have a question regarding your waypoint system.
    Can your system already pickup existing waypoints gameObjects?
    I mean, I have my own waypoint system (which su*k pretty bad btw) and would like to use Rain waypoint system with my own level setup(and waypoints).
    My waypoints are simple empty gameObjects (only tranform and a meshrenderer component to make them visible in the editor).
    Or i have to re-setup everything from scratch (place new Rain waypoints) in order to make it work with Rain?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Prime

Prime

Here's what you could do -

Write a quick script that finds all your existing gameObjects - then attach one of the RAIN waypoints as a component to that object. A final pass to specify waypoint connections, and you should be set. Collect all the waypoints under a single game object (a waypoint collection) and drag and drop it into your pathmanager WaypointCollection field. The whole process shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

WaypointGizmo newWaypoint = yourGameObject.AddComponent<WaypointGizmo>();
    newWaypoint.gizmoColor = Color.white;
    newWaypoint.pathRadius = 1.0f;
    newWaypoint.AddConnection(otherGameObject);
    //this is a one-way connection - you will need to make sure the other waypoint gets connected back this way too

5. tatoforever

tatoforever

@prime,
    I have a custom editor tool to manipulate several gameObjects at once, I'll extend it to add Rain waypoints components and connections then.

You should provably extend your manual with those tips for guys like me having their own system and willing to switch to Rain. :p

One last thing, do you have any release date for the BT editor?

Tanks.

6. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all!

Patch 1.0.3.1 has been submitted to Unity and should be available soon (if not now). This fixes problems introduced in 1.0.3 related to file and path generation.

Thanks!

Jester

7. Bovine

Bovine

We have a tile based, 3D RPG, would we be able to use RAIN to decide which tile to choose next?

Thanks
    Bovine

8. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello MooCow, could you give us a little bit more information on what you need in your game? Like players, are the AI with/against you, maybe both? If you don't want to talk about it on the Forums you can email me Jester@rivaltheory.com

Thanks for the question!

Jester

9. giantsquidgames

giantsquidgames

We're very interested in RAIN, but have a few questions:

1. We're planning to heavily utilize the RVO feature that's slated for Unity 3.5. Is RAIN designed to work in conjunction with alternative steering systems such as Unity RVO, or even UnitySteer?

2. How difficult is it to prevent two AI players from colliding? Let's say you have two AI players that are designed to avoid a third. What steps must be taken to prevent them from colliding?

3. Does RAIN offer any sort of steering behavior currently? An example would be wander. Or does it only offer waypoint based movement, and it's up to the designer to craft sets of waypoints that would give the impression of wandering?

Thanks!

10. giantsquidgames

giantsquidgames

I'm also curious about how the RAIN AI can be used to play various animations that would be tied to the behavior tree. For example, if an AI is "scared" or "angry", that animation would need to be played in addition to animations that might be based on speed, such as Walk or Run.

How well does RAIN deal with specifying animations for behaviors in the tree?

11. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

+1

12. Prime

Prime

Some answers:

- We've begun work on patch update 1.0.5 for RAIN. The update is completely focused on path and movement upgrades. Part of the upgrade is a change to the movement system that will in fact allow for integrated 3rd party movement libraries (i.e., if you would rather use the Unity 3.5 movement solution).

- RAIN currently supports a simplified model for collision avoidance which is essentially "avoid the collision that I think will happen soonest." There are ways to tweak avoidance for smoothing and strength. RAIN{one} doesn't support group-based avoidance or multiple object avoidance.

- Steering behaviors are built into RAIN below the movement/pathfinding level. You are free to access them directly, and with 1.0.5 should be able to implement a customized pathfinding system within RAIN that uses a variety of behaviors.

- 1.0.4 will include an AIController that works with the Mixamo Root Motion Controller to manage Animation based movement (in a fairly simple manner). For additional animation support (based on state as suggested) that can certainly be done within Behavior Tree action code. Tutorial 5 on the Rival Theory website does a little of this. Again, we have a planned update (currently 1.0.6) for providing direct linkage between behavior tree nodes and animation states, including support in the new visual editor.

Hope that helps.

13. kimsama

kimsama

I'm trying to make navigation mesh for a level map to test my level map.

By the way, the generated navmesh graph is too large for the given test level map.

The test map is consist of simple tile map each of cell is 0.04 by 0.04.

<the tile based level map>

<too large for the given tile map>

And each of tile cell has its own BoxCollider. The green lines of the following image are BoxColliders.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  14. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Everyone!

RAIN{one} v1.0.4 release notes with the visual Behavior Tree editor is now available to see on our forums. Keep an eye out on Unity3D Assetstore for when it becomes available to download-- we will as well. Thank you all for your patience.

http://bit.ly/orvQAB

Let us know what you think!

Jester

15. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Everyone

This is from Prime about the newest patch regarding Behavior Trees

"A community member notified us of a problem with loading the Behavior Tree Editor when you don't have any existing behavior tree xml files. The editor will start throwing errors and will fail to work.
    Patch 1.0.4.1 resolves this issue and has been submitted to Unity for posting to the Asset Store.
    In the meantime, you can do the following:
    Either
    1) Add any xml file to your Assets/AI/Resources/BehaviorTrees folder
    or
    2) Click on the Mind of any rigged AI with a BehaviorTreeMind. type in a name for your xml file in the Inspector Window. Then click Generate Default Behavior Tree XML."

I hope this helps. It's a quick fix.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jester

16. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone! We just made a video showcasing how to add a raycast script to an AI character to simulate line of sight. http://bit.ly/qFP8v3

17. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Unite 11 is right around the corner! September 28-30. http://unity3d.com/unite/sessions Let us know if you plan to attend the upcoming Unite 2011 conference. Prime and Harbinger will be there and available to answer questions, take suggestions, and discuss all things games, AI, and Unity.

Thanks,

Jester

18. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to let you all know that we are finishing up development of v1.0.5 and we will be showcasing some of the features of both 1.0.5 and 1.1 (set to release the first week of October) at Unite11, on stage. I will keep you all updated on our forums. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jester

19. siflandolly

siflandolly

This is a fantastic product by the way. All I have used so far is the behavior trees and way points and I'm impressed. I haven't even used goals or steering yet. So would 1.05 likely be released before the first week of Oct?

20. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

So this dude on the forums was like...

YA WHATEVA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaTT859Yk0

But really, yes, we will have 1.0.5 up avaiable before the first week of October :) Thanks for the compliment!

21. siflandolly

siflandolly

Haha awesome. Anybody that's a Sifl and Olly fan is a friend of mine.

22. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Why would I buy this thing for $100 when I can get the behave behavior trees for free? On top of that it seems like from reading this it's a pretty heavy thing to drag around in your game when seriously I believe that 90% of what you guys really want to do can be handled with simple Finite State Machines.

Yes I will buy something for $100 if it will save me even 1 hour of work and I think it will make me money. I do believe though that I would end up spending days learning how to even use this and I do not see how it is any better or even equal to Angry Ant's Behave.

23. siflandolly

siflandolly

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

Rain one is better than any combination of pathfinding, BTs and/or FSMs available for Unity right now. It's only one package that works seamless together(pathfinding and behaviors). The behavior tree editor can't be any better. It writes behavior empty templates automatically, you only need to add simple calls inside each state (or Behavior in this case). The only problem with Rain one is the lack of tutorials, they need to put more tutorials (though i believe they are working on it). I've bought Rain only to see what it looks like and compare with my own system (I'm using a hardcoded FSM system btw). That's provably the reason i din't integrate Rain into my current project (as most of the AI job is already done) but for my next project, I'll use Rain for sure. Though, if you find that Rain isn't worth 100$, go ahead and roll out your own AI system. ^^

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agreed, if you need a solution covering all fields then you won't be able to get around Rain. Especially if you are realistic and keep in mind that Aron Granbergs A* on its own costs $100 and that you will need either that or Rain to get recast navmesh generation (or roll your own at which point both of them were cheaper just for this single feature)

AngryAnts Behave is great, but the Rain one is just as great and unlike behave is already integrated with the rest and seamlessly works with it allowing you to create pretty powerfull AI behavior due to being able to use the simple mind to replicate an FSM (or anything else as its totally up to you), the goal based ai where you see use for it or the BT brain where you feel that you can get most of out of it.

26. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@tatoforever Thanks for the posting, well said, you are correct that we are working on tutorials to visually showcase our features as well as update our current tutorials.

@dreamora Thanks for the comment, you have a great handle on the capabilities of RAIN{one}. :)

27. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

I am not dissing the Rain, I do believe it works well and is probably worth every bit of the $100 and then some. However it seems to me so many users look to something like this a "Magic Bullet" yea this will make my game better. Then they skimp on artwork, gameplay, etc. Too much of the indie game community is all about taking a sledgehammer to an issue that probably needs a tiny screwdriver. That is the point I was trying to make. Sorry was grumpy...

BTW I will definitely check it out.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  28. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@bigdaddio Thank you for the compliment. That's great that you are going to check out RAIN{one}! Please feel free to contact us on these threads, our site forums (below), or directly if you need any help with our product. Let us know what you think after you have given RAIN{one} a fair use. Maybe it will be your screwdriver. ;)

Jester

29. siflandolly

siflandolly

I think the other big feature of RAIN will be the integration of Goals with Behaviors. Goals may not be the right tool in every situation but they offer a very different structure than an FSM.

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

a much more intuitive one especially. FSM can do quite a few things but there are limits on when some of the things become too complex to represent within an FSM without losing sanity on maintaining it. Thats where you would normally take the sledge hammer (BTs) but where Goal oriented actually offers a very strong alternative. In the end its just another form of BT too but one that a designer can understand, not only a programmer or AI Engineer

31. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello RAIN{one} Community,

Here are the release notes for our latest v1.1. We have added many new features and fixed a number of bugs in regard to our recast. Please look over the patch notes to see where the changes happened. I want to let you all know that because of your help, we are the #1 AI solution on Unity3d! Thank you so much for being a part of that, and giving your valuable feedback. As always, contact us if you have any questions jester@rivaltheory.com.

Thanks again,

Jester

http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  32. code749

code749

hey guys how well will this system work for car racing games on ios

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Potentially good, but the question is really if you even wanted to use such an AI solution for something like a car racing solution where totally different requirements are in place than for normal AI due to the 'far range look ahead' required for physically correct turning or bypassing other cars or defending against such maneuvers ...
    With that I mean that you need to have a lot of preprocessed and simplified math and physics informations anyway to make the car even capable of precalculating the best path within meaningfull cpu time. Its not like a collision mesh is of real use for this purpose.

34. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

There is a pre-built racing ai already on the asset store. It has a hefty price tag though...

35. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey guys, here is our latest version of RAIN. It's available now on the Asset Store. Enjoy

Announcements: Would you like your game featured on our website?

Rival{Theory} is putting together a section on our website that showcases projects using RAIN{one}. Traffic on our website is steadily increasing so it will be a really great way to get your game/project out there. We are taking submissions now. Even if you only have a few scenes, our site can still be a great way to promote your work. We can also work with you to get the project up and running.

Drop us a line at media@rivaltheory.com to get started

http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  36. 3dsquad

3dsquad

I'm in a serious research of good AI system, and thanks to RAIN's massive marketing activity many sources lead to it. However I see some negative feedback here and there. Now without trial version or money back guarantee the choice boils down to pure luck I guess.

Is there a bug tracker that one can check out before purchasing or even integrating RAIN into a project?

Is there a full list of features that are actually fully working and tested? It's hard to know whether a marketed feature is for the latest version, or it is under construction or testing.

How well RAIN can be integrated with 3rd party modules for navigation, steering, behavior, etc.?

How much will be the cost to upgrade to 2.x?

37. psyclone

psyclone

Experience wise, RAIN is fairly easy to integration, and Prime and Jester are very responsive to issues.

The only main issue Ive have with the system so far is the speed in delivery of documentation. Supposedly we are supposed to get a fully update and revised set (available on there website) with owning RAIN on Monday.

There are also some (out of date) Tutorials etc there, and a forum you can ask questions in.

38. pneill

pneill

Gotta agree with Psyclone. Prime and Jester are super responsive and more than willing to help - the documentation is weak and there's a lot of room for improvement. Looking forward to the new docs (again, a great example of their responsiveness)

39. 3dsquad

3dsquad

It looks very promising but at its current state it seems more like a beta. I will definitely give it a shot once it's mature, but for now I won't be exposing my project to risk and will go with Aron's.

40. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello All,

We have 2 announcements for you.

1) I'm proud to announce to you all that we have the revised documentation for RAIN{one} available on the website here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation

Along with a code sample section here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/codesamples

and NEW API documentation here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/api/index.html

2) RAIN{one} v1.1.2 is available on the Unity Asset Store. Release notes here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

The release fixes issues with movement, obstacle avoidance, Behavior Trees, Goal Oriented Behavior, and others.

Phew, that was a lot. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks

Jester

41. daleCal

daleCal

Is this the system they were showing at Unite? Demo looked pretty cool. The Mixamo animation stuff was really cool too.

42. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@daleCal Yes! RAIN{one} is the system that we showed off at Unite11 with Mixamo. If you are looking for more information I have support and product links in my signature. I'm glad you got to watch the demo firsthand :)

Jester

43. daleCal

daleCal

Thanks it looks really cool. I'll look into it :)

44. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

If anyone has feature requests for RAIN{one}, please feel free to post them here and we will go over them this week for our upcoming release.

45. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

46. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Everyone,

We are amazed by all the excellent work being done using RAIN{one}, so we're holding a contest!

All you have to do is:

1: Make a short video showing off your project using RAIN{one}'s features.

Be creative, remember-- this is just a video showing off all the cool stuff you're already doing.

2: Upload the video to Youtube and tweet us the link @RAINai_Dev on Twitter or /RivalTheory on Facebook (don't forget to like us!).

3: Send the video media@rivaltheory.com with a short description.

That's it! If we showcase your video we will send you $100 and a cyber high-five! Not bad for less than 30 mins of work, right?!

**IMPORTANT** The contest deadline is Friday, January 13th. Winners will be announced shortly after.

47. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Jester and Prime,
    I'm thinking about investing some time and money in this, it could be a good way to stay with the play..

Everyone else, how are you impressions now that you've had some time to feel this out? Are you making some good AI and Pathfinding routines?

One of the things that scares me is when something complex and kinda standalone like this is 98% awesome with 2% of bugs, theose bugs can be a real stick in the mud. I'd love to hear from developers how this has worked out in general.

Cheers
    AaronC

48. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  49. Alec

Alec

Hey guys,

Just curious, has anyone used Rain AI (specifically pathfinding) with a dynamic environment? ie. An object is spawned in front of an agent and they attempt to move around?

50. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello RAIN{one} Community!

RAIN{one} v1.1.3 is now available (notes below).

We will be posting more videos of RAIN{one} Users up on our website along with code samples. If you have a video of cool stuff you're doing with RAIN{one} please send it to jester@rivaltheory.com. Who knows, maybe we will be sending you some prize money. :)

RAIN{one} v1.1.3 is live, please check it out and download. Link to the Asset Store here: http://u3d.as/content/rival-theory-/rain-one-/22D

--------------

RAINone v1.1.3.0 Patch notes:
    --------------
    - Added public accessor for PathManager in Agent
    - Fixed issue with adding multiple Aspects to a Sensor
    - Fix for blurry textures in some Behavior Trees
    - Improved waypoint pathfinding performance
    - NavGrid-based movement will no longer attempt to move directly to a target if a path can't be computed
    - Fixed issues with serialization and saving in the Behavior Tree Editor
    - Misc. fixes to Recast Nav Grid generation
    - Added Reset to BTActivationManager for restarting the behavior tree
    - Misc. other minor bug fixes