Search Unity

Anyone using "Rain {One}"?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rockysam888, Jul 22, 2011.

1. rockysam888

rockysam888

2. psyclone

psyclone

Debating picking up up for a closer look

3. maidamedia

maidamedia

4. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

I'm waiting for more tutorials before I decide. Looks pretty sweet so far tho

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

The video does not look exactly promising. path finding with waypoints and even then the AI is incapable of basic object avoidance (video 4, it runs plain stupidly into the tree and force pushes itself through)

Might be that they have something on the BT end and with sensors out of the box but putting it into even remotely the same league as EKI One ... not in that state

6. maidamedia

maidamedia

I looked at video 4 again and it seems to steer when passing near a little short tree.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

it has a 10 unit long sensor, it shouldn't get into a range of 0.5 of the tree if it worked, but it really runs into it and then gets pushed along it (and I'm still pretty sure thats just physical push against capsule, no ai would steer this way not even UnitySteer does that)

8. aigam

aigam

It seems very interesting, but tutorials are really simple, and I'm unable to understand if the tool is really powerful or not only checking the features page and documentation, so I will look if they add more info in the future.

9. yazybones

yazybones

Does anyone have any recommendations for AI libraries? Eki One looks good but it doesn't work on mobile platforms which is a deal breaker for me.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

nor on OSX

I now decided to invest in Rain and see how good it really is, cause the infos imply its much more than the tutorial videos are hurting it (the first vids out of my view should focus on the professional interesting features, hobbiests and beginners aren't gonna pay $100 for an addon and the stuff covered in the vids is more focused at them it seems - I'm not saying that should not be covered, but potentially not as first if the tutorial videos is the only thing thats there to present the product in non-static form - but thats just my 2 cents)

11. Rafes

Rafes

You just have to ask yourself what your time is worth. Could you program this entire system in less than 100 hours? Would you pay yourself less than $1/hour? $100 seems pretty awesome for this, but, to be fair, I haven't used it.

12. alexkring

alexkring

Let me know how it goes! I'm very curious about the product. I'm an advocate of pathfinding middleware, but I haven't found any other AI middleware that has been useful to me, given how different AI needs are per game when it comes to things like perceptions and decision making. I'm also curious about the background of the developers, and what games they've worked on in the past.

13. psyclone

psyclone

I have also picked up a copy, and will be trying it out this weekend.. Will let people know how it goes...

14. Toad

Toad

Interested in this too, but I'll wait for some impressions from Dreamora and Pysclone...

15. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Yes, please let us know. I am a hobbiest and $100 is not out of the question for me (bought several at or around that price point already), and I would really like to know how useful this would be for someone making an RPG (mostly concerned with things like dynamic pathfinding in dungeons/outside and a decent AI system.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

I'm aware of that, I work 100-150% fulltime per week with Unity as contract developer.
    But fact is a $100 price tag is one that does not favor anything. It tries to be appealing for hobbiests and alike but they aren't gonna buy anything more expensive than their coffee unseen either in trial or breathtaking tech demo + some video showing of the relevant stuff in action and for professionals, the videos could be barely worse and no existing tech demo doesn't make it better I fear for this clients at all.

I did invest in it cause $100 is low enough to consider it a future investment if it works and otherwise consider it "a not significant lose" ie a situation where I can basically only win

@alexkring: will do so (likely through a lengthy blog on gamedevuniverse.com). I'm pretty sure though its not as easy as getting AI to run along your paths

17. Demostenes

Demostenes

Exactly my words.

18. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all! We are here to help with any questions you have about RAIN{one}. This forum thread is available to you, we also have one on our website http://support.rivaltheory.com/ as well as one we started on here called RAIN{one}- Artificial Intelligence Engine-RELEASED, any of them can be used.

We will respond as quickly and completely as we can on our company or Unity forums.

@dreamora: We are very excited that you are working with RAIN, we welcome your blog post and comments/criticisms, as you are a very well-versed Unity user (no body gets to 21,540 posts without knowing a thing or two!). If you want any more information, or just want to start a conversation contact me at jester@rivaltheory.com.

@psyclone: let us know what you think!

@AlexKing I have watched your videos and told my co-workers, we were impressed at your solution/blog.

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thanks Jester

Will potentially going to contact you or rivaltheory in general, should I find anything alarming or troubling, before blog posting.

I love seeing more powerful and flexible middleware and don't think that trying to flame blog about stuff is going to help on that end so if my feedback and hopefully constructive critism (I'm not native english, rather straight forward and not all that patient at times) can help on that end or prevent missconconceptions and flamewars thats great I think.

20. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@dreamora That's great to hear, we feel that constructive criticism is far better than flamewars as well. We have worked very hard to produce a quality product to the standard that developers expect out of a professional business. We are here to support on all issues related to our product, technical or otherwise. Thanks for looking into our product! I look forward to hearing from you. :)

21. tintin

tintin

@dreamora, hi, have you tested RainOne? What's your first impression?

22. Demostenes

Demostenes

We already bought it and so far it looks really good.

23. psyclone

psyclone

Just a quick update...

Product definitely has some potential, however there are some issues on the Mac that Im currently trying to work out with Jester.

But the integration between RAIN and other path finding packages and Steering routines (Unity Steer) seems to fairly easy.

The AI seems to be simple but powerful enough to most things, and I have managed to integrate get it working with other behavior tree packages.

Psyclone

24. tintin

tintin

Hi, what's the "other behavior tree package" you mentioned?

25. psyclone

psyclone

React was the main one I have tested with

26. tintin

tintin

There's very little information regarding React. Curious, psyclone, isn't Rain One includes its own Behavior Tree implementation? Or you think React is better than Rain One on BT part?

27. psyclone

psyclone

Yes, Rain one has it own implementation. I was purposefully testing how user extensible Rain One was, and how easy it was to integrate with other package.

I try to avoid using extension one unity that prevent me from using other code I have ether written or purchased.

I happen to have a number of pathfinding and Behaviour Tree Packages, as will as a number of very custom libraries I myself have written.

As far as any package being better or worse than the Rain One implementation, all implementations have there strengths and weaknesses even among implementation along the same lines and algorithms. I use what is suitable for the current need I have.

28. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

That's great that you tested how extensible RAIN{one} is. It was designed with that purpose in mind. If any user wanted to write an extension for RAIN{one} and post it to the asset store we could help promote it on our sites. We are considering making a tutorial on how to create extensions using RAIN.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  29. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all! We have a question and we need some feedback. We noticed that our newest update requires the user to upgrade to Unity 3.4, our first product release was for the Unity 3.3 version. Does anyone have strong arguments that we need to support Unity 3.3?

30. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone,

update 1.0.2 is now available on the Unity Asset store. Also documentation on behavior trees has been updated.

RAIN{one} v1.0.2

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed variable loading in behavior trees
    - Expanding box sensor no longer resets when it detects an Aspect
    - Improved recast in certain geometries
    - Removed extraneous logging messages, especially around "Failed to load QuadFieldGraph"

Feature Changes:
    - Added repeatuntil attribute to behavior tree nodes
    - Added base behavior tree xml file creation
    - Behavior tree now takes a root node name to start from
    - Behavior tree variables are now accessible through actionContext (you can use as the type)
    - Behavior tree node names can now be blank (root node should have a name)
    - Sensors now default to the layer of the object to which they are attached
    - Added SphereSensor
    - Added support for graph wireframe to path manager for whole scene recast

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  31. Dreamora

Dreamora

Does this include a fix for the bug I mentioned in the mail I sent you?

32. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Not this particular patch, but we are planning one this week to handle the ones you mentioned.

33. InterstellarGames

InterstellarGames

Does rain work with mobile / ios / iphone ? If so I'm sold :)

34. tatoforever

tatoforever

I'm also an ultra fan of AI related stuff (and also an AI programmer in my spare time), to me is the most fascinating side of game programming. Anything that have something to do with Gameplay or AI i eat them all. ^^ Most of my background comes directly from AIGamedev (Alex are you there?) :p
    Anyway, I'll give it a try to RAIN and post some results later on.

35. tatoforever

tatoforever

No, 90-95% of all Unity developers are switching (or already made the switch) to Unity3.4. Make a poll in the Gossip or Asset Store section and see what happens. :D
    If your Unity integration have some JS scripts, you may provably encounter some errors (due to a higher strict level), other than that it should work the same way as in v3.3. Though i cannot 100% guarantee that but give it a go and see what happens. :)

36. tatoforever

tatoforever

I also forgot to ask this important question too(Thats the reason i've dropped EKI One, no mac and no mobile support). :(
    Sorry guys for the "3-messages-in-a-row" post. ^^

37. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

38. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the comment and the excitement. We look forward to hearing your feedback from RAIN{one}, your background should have some great insight. You will be happy to hear that we do support mobile Unity platforms. :)

In response to "No, 90-95% of all Unity developers are switching (or already made the switch) to Unity3.4. Make a poll in the Gossip or Asset Store section and see what happens..." This has been the vast majority of feedback we have received, thanks for the input.

Thanks for the posts everyone

Jester

39. Dreamora

Dreamora

AIGameDev is great, the only subscription I kept alive all the time, well worth its $99 / quarter :)

40. tatoforever

tatoforever

Indeed.

How is your experience so far with RainOne Marc? :D
    I'm about to buy a license tomorrow and see by my self, but wanna know how others licensees are going with Rain one. ^^
    How fast is Rain waypoint system compared to Aron Granberg's waypoint system(or any other Unity pathfinding middleware)?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  41. Dreamora

Dreamora

I like it but I'm at the time awaiting the fix of bug with OSX - Recast to make myself a full picture in a test environment thats intend to use all 3 Brain Types.
    Once I've been able to make myself that full picture I'll also write a review of some kind about it for my blog

42. tatoforever

tatoforever

Awesome,
    I'll be then keeping an eye on your blog.
    Tanks Marc,

43. psyclone

psyclone

Im awaiting the same fix..

Also have been playing with the Nav Model in a scene where there is no Gravity, the movement model dosent seem to be able to handle changing between heights on it own, and gets confused when asked to MoveTo a target point at a different height level.

And Im getting "Not Implemented" errors when trying to use the RigidBody Controller.

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

Dreaded HighPrecisionButWinOnlyCounter eh ;)

Sounds likea show stopper given you have such a game.
    mine won't be on 0 gravity so I will not be touched by such limitations or even see them.

Is this in context of the 0 gravity or general?

45. psyclone

psyclone

In General -- Below is the entire text of the message, when I have the AIRigidBodyController from RAIN attached to the agent.

NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
    RAIN.Motion.AIRigidBodyController.609A063A61F89F8E5A95419104C8B6B4 (RAIN.Core.Agent 90CDE6A3DA11E8A484868AEBC7677BA0, Single CBC12A8B88FF67235ECE0F2428C192EF)
    RAIN.Core.RAINAgent.DF4CD97F7AA458DED8391A40D00E56C8 ()
    RAIN.Core.RAINAgent.LateUpdate ()

46. Prime

Prime

Hey guys -

Patch 1.0.3 will be submitted to Unity this afternoon. This includes:
    - Fixes to the file structure that were causing issues with deployment
    - Removal of windows dll dependencies
    - Misc. bug fixes
    - Obstacle Avoidance

Regarding 0 gravity - yes, the current movement system doesn't handle vertical movement. That was a choice we had to make to ensure 2.5D setups work well. Our roadmap does include adding back full 3D support to our steering behaviors, but it isn't there yet.

Regarding the AIRigidBodyController - we're looking for feedback on that one. We added a stub for the controller, but didn't have a specific use case, so we ended up leaving it unimplemented. If someone wants to describe to us how they would like for it to work, then we can get an implementation into our next patch. Any thoughts?

Note also that patch 1.0.3 opens up the AvatarController class for extension by developers, so you have an option to create your own. API docs should give some info about how to do it.

47. psyclone

psyclone

Very Nice, Cant wait

I would expect a rigid body controller would do movement based on forces and drag. And could be good place to implement a full 3d movement controller. e.g. Rotate to target, apply thrust in a forward direction. Brake by applying thrust in back direct, rotation by various side forces etc.....

So this would mean I could write my own Controller. Very nice. Any example code going to be included with it. You implementations seem to be very well done, but hard to learn from as the source is complied.

Nice work on RAIN. Keep up the good work.

48. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

so for 2.5D you abandoned 3D ?
    nice move :(
    tell me when you support 3d then i will buy it
    im so disappointed .

49. Dreamora

Dreamora

Great to hear :)
    Means I can finally test the NavMesh capabilities

@mrbdrm: How often do you need 0 gravity 3D? If you aren't doing a space combat game or a game with lots of flying stuff pretty never in the end, the vast majority of games are ground based or "2.5D"

50. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

so i can make the AI go vertically ? for going up and down in a building ( on stairs ) ?