Search Unity

Anyone using Pomelo?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by KeviN8543, Mar 26, 2015.

1. KeviN8543

KeviN8543

I'm currently looking for a game server library (which not force me to develop in Windows).
    I'm very familiar with Node.js for applications server development. Honestly I'm very impressed.
    I was wondering if someone is using it for game server development and I became confused when I saw this thread from 2 years ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/anyone-using-node-js-as-server.121571/

As far as I know, Node.js scaled very quickly, with a stable UDP and TCP modules by now and many game server frameworks (eg. SailsJS and PomeloJS).

Pomelo got me really interested in backend development in JS, and I was wondering what do you guys think about game server with JavaScript and If anyone tried this framework.

2. gfoot

gfoot

I've used Node.js as a signalling server for setting up client-to-client WebRTC connections, and as a WebRTC client for test purposes, but not for actual in-game networking.

I did consider using it as an easy way to get server-side Websocket support, but I already had a lot of server-side C# code ready to go, using UdpKit, and it made more sense to add Websocket support to that rather than forking a Javascript version of my code. This also allowed some code sharing between the Unity C# client and the server, saving a lot of effort overall.

In terms of performance, Node.JS and C# are probably comparable; the only thing I'd trust more would be (well-engineered) native-compiled C/C++.