Search Unity

Anyone put much time with Unity WebGL and three.js?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techmage, Apr 19, 2015.

1. techmage

techmage

I am not looking for a debate to decisively prove one or the other as better.

I'm just looking for some off the top of the head comments, or tips, from some people whom have hopefully spent more time with these things and are willing to pass on some thoughts to someone who has spent absolutely zero time.

How is Unity Web GL? How is it in comparison to doing something in three.js?

What I am mainly curious about is the size of builds, load times, maybe performance, but less so.

I assume that anything built with Unity WebGL is going to be WAY bigger in size and load time than something built in straight three.js, is this true?

I also assume something built in Unity will have less performance than three.js if three.js is in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing.

Is either of these things true? Are there also any other non-obvious things or frustrations which revealed themselves as you worked more with Unity WebGL?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Never used three.js. But Unity WebGL is still very much a work in process. Got another couple of iterations before its ready.

3. XGundam05

XGundam05

Note: three.js, while quite useful and easy to use, is only an abstraction for WebGL and 3D rendering, not a game engine.

So, if you went with three.js, you'd need to code audio, ui, level editing, ecs/ces framework, user input, asset loading, and animation (to a certain extent) yourself (along with anything I missed).

In Unity, you do not. It may take a performance hit, but you gain all the systems outlined above.

4. tiggus

tiggus

Unity gives you a ton more tools for game development than Three.js. Babylon.js is more a game development framework but also very limited compared to Unity. PlayCanvas is probably a more equal comparison though I haven't used it, it has an actual editor and such.

It's unfair to compare Unity WebGL and these much lesser products, apples to oranges. All that being said, I am using pixi.js for 2d webgl development right now because I find the loading times and bandwidth requirements for Unity WebGL absurd for simple games and counter to good web development practices.