Search Unity

anyone ever used warcraft 3 / starcraft 2 editor?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by shadowninjapie, May 22, 2015.

1. shadowninjapie

shadowninjapie

how did they make such an editor? codedom + enums for the dropdowns or something? i cant imagine they made a bunch of serializable structs for every little thing you can do?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't see how else a complex editor like that would work: you have a set of ordered organized data, and a way to interface that into the editor itself, such as "terrain tile packs" or "emplaceable objects" or what-have-you.

It is something that certainly could be done in Unity3D, but not in one day. :)

3. shadowninjapie

shadowninjapie

look at this http://i.stack.imgur.com/Qq9Nm.png
    is it rly possible to do this with just serializable structs / classes that each only do 1 tiny little thing? i wonder how they did they stuff in the pic above

4. Crayz

Crayz

WC3's World Editor trigger system is basically just a pretty, user-friendly way to let people compose JASS scripts without having to actually do any scripting. Assuming you implement a scripting language into your game such as Lua you could accomplish something similar, though it wouldn't be an easy task :)

edit: As far as terrain and whatnot goes, I believe Warcraft 3 maps were tile based, assuming because structures, cliffs, water, and doodads snapped to grid in the editor. A map built an in external editor could simply (or not so simply) save the map's layout and placed entities in simple text format which can then be imported, parsed, and re-created in a Unity game.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. shadowninjapie

shadowninjapie

yeah thats what i want to do. what i wanted to do was make unity more like the wc3 / sc2 editor for ppl who cant code well.

6. Crayz

Crayz

There's a few visual scripting assets for Unity you could maybe reference, here's one of em:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1566