Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone crazy enough for the next Smash Bros. Franchise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by voltage, Aug 29, 2014.

1. voltage

voltage

Hey guys.

This is my first post in a long time. I used to be frequent for a couple years, but since hung my game dev hat about 6 months ago.

That being said, my dream game has always been to develop my own smash brothers. Is there anyone out there crazy and ambitious enough to make their own? I'd love to hear all about it. We could even start a discussion lightly on smash here I guess? Personally, I've always been fascinated by the sword wielders. Maybe I would've made a game based off weapon based only characters?

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Maybe if you like spending the next 10 years working on it. Probably better use muggin or something

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It could be cool to make a game like SSB but with indie game characters to give unknown games some attention.

ChrisSch and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  4. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

I actually thought about combining all Unity example and free asset into one Smash-Brothers-like game. But Nah! It will cost me so much time

5. voltage

voltage

Yeah.. I guess no one is crazy enough. lol I recently downloaded an app called Fright Fight and that was the closest thing I could think of. Although, all you do is tap the screen mindlessly for the same 3 hit neutral combo. I think money is sure to follow on a successful indie smash. Newgrounds had an equivalent with views in the millions and lets not forget Mcleod's Smash Flash 2. His website must have over 21m hits now, but I don't really count these two, because they're not using original IP.

6. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Well, the closest thing I've seen to Super Smash Bros in the indie scene was a little game called Megabyte Punch http://www.kongregate.com/games/Reptilegames/megabyte-punch

It uses the same sort of mechanics that ssb has, but melds it into an action platformer. It has some cool concepts of it's own as well, like taking arms, legs, and guns from the bots you've killed and use them as upgrades for your own bot.
    It's pretty cool. I have it on steam and definitely recommend it.

It's probably not quite as balanced as AAA fighting games, though.
    What I find interesting is all the "simple" sort of fighting games that are based on one or two unique hooks, like One Finger Death Punch, or reptile game's recent Lethal League. I feel games like these are a heckofa lot easier to polish for solo devs, and can be quite satisfying in their own right.

7. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

whats so hard about it?? ... oh the balancing?

ohh the animating of different characters?? ... uh i guess

8. voltage

voltage

Even 5 characters would be a fun assortment. If there was anyone out there within unity giving it a go, hats off to you.