Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody interested in a $150 contest?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aseemy, Aug 23, 2016.

?

Should I start the contest?

1. Yes

23.1%
  2. No

76.9%
  1. Aseemy

Aseemy

This will be a contest for users who have joined the forums before 15th august 2016.
    The prize money is $150, that includes any commissions/transaction fee charged by paypal/whatever means of transfer is.

The prize value can increase depending on the number of entries.

I will post the rules of the contest once enough people (>100) have entered. Anyone from anywhere can enter. If somehow i am not able to send you money where you live, i will buy you $150 (or more if prize has changed) worth of unity assets of your choice.

Enter the poll and mention if you will be willing to join it. The poll's duration is 7 days or less if i get 300 entries.

I released a game Druid Defense on android, but never got any downloads for it. I am about to release a new game and was looking at ways to advertise it and get downloads, but they are so expensive (the legal ones).

So i'll be uploading my game in a weeks time and as soon as its approved i'll post it here.

The contest is to finish the game (shouldn't take more than 3 days if played for 2 hours a day) and post proof that you have finished the game.

Since $50 wasn't a good prize enough, i'll increase it to $150 for the first person to finish it, $100 for the second and $50 for the third (2nd and 3rd prize depends on the number of entries).

With google advertising i get a $1 CPI, with this method i'll get the same amount but a guaranteed 3 day retention and hopefully some honest reviews as well.

@Moderators if this is against the rules do let me know.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

$50 is hardly worth me getting out of bed.

There are a few starving wannabe indies that might participate. But even then the prize is probably not worth the time.

dogzerx2, Martin_H and Rombie like this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Please describe the nature of the contest.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

How are we meant to know if we're interested before you tell us what it is?

dogzerx2 likes this.
  5. Aseemy

Aseemy

You are exactly right, editing my post.

angrypenguin likes this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Make sure you post this in lots of places - not just here. You need gamers to play your game, not just developers. If your game has a website (you should!) then post it there as well and link to it. Might also be worth taking out a Facebook ad or something like that to get more attention to your competition. It'd suck to give out $300 in prize money and only get a few dozen players.

Also, your link says "Dungeon Defenders" but the page says "Druid Defense", so you want to fix that up.

Best of luck!

7. Martin_H

Martin_H

How on earth can a dev get the name of their own game wrong?

8. Aseemy

Aseemy

Wow, i was playing dungeon defenders with 3 of my friends just before posting this. the names are similar and both have DD as initials, but i shouldnt have made that mistake, silly me.

Thanks for the idea about posting it on my website and facebook, but i have zero online presence, no reddit, only family as FB friends, no other social media sites at all.

0 - yes and 5 - no so far, so i guess its not gonna take off.

If anyone has better and cheaper legal (not getting banned on play store) ways of getting downloads do let me know.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

This is what you need to change.

10. Perrydotto

Perrydotto

Online presence is key, full stop. Get an official website for your game going (even a simple, neat enough looking one will do), get a Twitter where you post things relating to your game and development stuff as well as patch notes and other news, network with other devs on Reddit and the likes. See if there are review sites and/or Youtubers who deal with your niche of game and who would play your game. Get your game into a small bundle or two to create some buzz. Show your game to family and friends and try to get some positive word of mouth going for your game.

There are many ways to get eyeballs onto your product, and none of them come with a magic guarantee to work, but not even trying them and just waiting for your game to get attention is not going to work out for you at all. Don't put the cart before the horse and blow 150 dollar on a contest when you don't even have any kind of online presence to speak of.

theANMATOR2b and angrypenguin like this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So then who's going to take your $150? That should be used to leverage the people you've got into growing your audience for you. If it's not going to do that and get you more than $150 of new customers then how is it helping you?
    Consider the audience here - we're all busy making our own games. We are not indicative of typical gamers. Who is your game's target audience?

theANMATOR2b, Kiwasi and Perrydotto like this.
  12. Schneider21

Schneider21

When did the game first come out? I see it was updated this past Sunday, and since you didn't mention already updating it, I'll assume that was its launch date.

I also see you've had between 50-100 downloads. Let's call it 75.

That's not a crazy number, but it's pretty decent for a low-budget tower defense game on Android. I'm going to assume those 40 reviews you have (36 5-star, 4 4-star) are all paid for, since you don't seem to be too excited about that. Most developers would be ecstatic to have 50% of their install base rate their game 5 stars in its first week.

My iOS game has been out for a year or so, and I've only gotten 7 reviews in that time. 7. One of those was a one-star because it wouldn't open on his iPhone 4, and another a one-star because he liked the game but was upset I didn't provide an option to play against the AI.

Anyway, that all seems tangential considering you don't seem to be interested in reviews. What you're looking for is converting cash into installs (presumably to convert those installs into IAP cash). Are you running analytics on the app now? What percentage of your players buy the in-app purchases? How many installs do you need, based on that number, to make more than $150?

When running a contest, it's all about exposure. If you start the contest, and some guy sits down for 6 hours and beats the game as soon as it starts, wins, and uninstalls... you're just out $150. You gained nothing from it. For that reason, I don't think "first to beat the game" is a good criteria for a contest, unless it's a crazy difficult game.

You need something you can promote over a period of time. Something that gives players the feeling they have a good chance of winning. And you need to expose your campaign to people, through a BIG social media push.

Perrydotto and angrypenguin like this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Uh, for me a contest usually means "spend your time and get nothing". Because by entering a contest you get a chance and the chance usually small, meaning in the end the chance doesn't happen.

Which means, that either a contest should be REALLY fun, or a prize should be really big.

$150 might be an attractive prize for a kid/early teen, though.

Martin_H, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Still not worth my time. :p

Ryiah, Aseemy and Martin_H like this.
  15. Billy4184

Billy4184

This is one of the most awkward and ridiculous things I've seen, it's like someone trying to pay their dating coach to take them on a date. Do you even know who you're making games for? Make a website, twitter, facebook and whatever else you need to do to get out there amongst the pigeons.

16. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's a cool idea and I give you credit for actually thinking about marketing and trying to think outside the box.

I see no issue with your idea itself (as long as you make it clear the point of this contest is for you to get feedback on your game so they realize you have that expectation). The issue I see is who you pitched your idea too. An easy way to tell this is not your target market? The comments saying $50 and even $150 is not enough of a reward for people to spend the time trying to win the game.

When you find your target audience who wants to spend time playing the game they'd see the time spent playing as a reward in itself. So offering a $50 grand prize on top of that play experience would be enough to get them very interested. You could probably even do it with $40, $20 and $10 prizes.

Since you seem to have and are willing to spend money I suggest you consider hiring a [virtual] assistant to spend some time researching to find your target market. You really should have done that long before now. But better late than never.

I don't know much about mobile but always hear it described as casual not as competitive. So maybe you'll need to alter your rules to be first who completes a level or first who gets a certain achievement or first who reaches a certain score depending on the nature of your game.

landon912, Perrydotto and Aseemy like this.
  17. Aseemy

Aseemy

Thank you all for your suggestions and constructive criticism.
    I understand that this is not my target audience, but there are some indies who need small funding while they make their games. I hoped since no one responded to my MadeWithUnity post i'd try this. Like i said in my first post i am looking for honest reviews so i can improve the game, i dont want any 4/5 star fake reviews.

Game was launched 10 days ago, all the downloads are from my family members, not a single organic install or paid one. I used paid advertising (google adwords) for my previous game and was disappointed.

I posted my app for review to many sites but according to a unity thread those sites basically just offer free reviews to advertise their paid reviews and dont actually do free reviews.

I have already created twitter account, facebook page, website but i have no idea how to get users to join them. When i search for how to promote your app/game i get the same generic list of stuff to do which is basically click bait.

I know my game isnt top notch but i feel it is good enough to generate some revenue.

I had to offer the money as i get almost no replies to my threads here.

Android plugins increase size of builds for other platforms 0 Replies
    What do you guys think about FGL Enhance? 0 Replies
    Druid Defense - Cross between Swamp Attack and Defender 1 Reply
    WSA Universal 8.1 Phone app crashes when downloaded from store, not when installed from VS 0 Replies
    How to correctly use Screen.SetResolution with Universal 10 apps 0 Replies

I dont think my wording is wrong in these threads, or if i have mistakenly broken some posting rules but i dont seem to get any responses.

18. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's probably the nature of where you're posting. If you had gee whiz revolutionary graphics (or at least talked like you did) your posts would almost certainly get more interest. Definitely show screenshots and a little video in your posts so people can see the game.

Post in the Feedback Friday thread in the Game Design forum. It's the one at the very top (I think) and whole point is to give feedback on games posted there.

19. Schneider21

Schneider21

This is a good point to address! And it's gonna be harsh, so brace yourself.

You suck at marketing.

That's okay! You made a game! You're already in the top 1-2% of people who browse these forums! You are, by definition, a successful game developer. But you're apparently horrible at getting people excited about the game you made and convincing them to give it their attention and time (marketing!).

So what are your options?
    1. Move on - You finished the game, and it's available to the general public. It will potentially gain a bit of traffic in the future and could earn you some income... eventually. Time to move on and make the next game, and maybe that one will catch fire and be a huge success!
    2. Keep Trying - Run your contest! See what worked with the campaign and what didn't. Read about social marketing some more, and try again. Tweet all the time. Hashtag all the things. Follow everyone you can that seems remotely interested in the subjects related to your game, and hope a few of them follow you back. Pester game media journalists to try and write something about your game. It'll be a slow grind, but it will (probably) get you some results, at least.
    3. Hire a marketing company - You seem willing to spend money. This is phenomenal. Figure out what your budget is, and contact a marketing company that specializes in games. I've never used one, but I like what I see from the guys at Black Shell Media. They post a lot of great advice on marketing your game on their blog/Twitter, too. Something about giving away good info for free makes me trust a company like that more... But shop around. See what marketing companies could offer you, and see if you can find something that works for you.
    Good luck. Keep driving away at it. The struggle is never over!

20. Perrydotto

Perrydotto

Schneider makes good points, I just wanna add a word of caution about Black Shell Media - They essentially spam anyone who has what looks like a game and hope to gain them as customers. Their social media accounts also essentially spamblast everything into oblivion and create a ton of white noise. Plenty of people block their accounts as a result. There are threads on /r/gamedev with experiences, like this one. I'm not saying they are scammers or inherently provide a bad service, but their approach to marketing is not exactly content-friendly, to say the least.

If you want a company to help you out but don't like Black Shell Media's lack of quality control and their spammy approach to PR, maybe look at Novy: http://novypr.com/

21. Schneider21

Schneider21

It's worth noting that I don't get on Twitter much to see how bad my timeline looks. Thanks for the tip on BSM!

22. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hmm, i didnt think i needed to be good at marketing to get answer to questions i post on unity forums for help.

Thank you, yes i know m horrible at marketing, thats why asking for experienced members on what to do.

I dont want to move on, i really feel like this game could generate a decent amount of revenue, i want to add feature and content to this game. But i wanted other's opinions as well if they think its worth me putting my own money into advertising it.

I cant seem to find any good one, like i said i posted in many such "marketing" companies but i was warned off them by another unity thread. i'll check out black shell media and novypr.

Thank you so much, and good luck for your endeavors as well.

I did post a well made (in my opinion) game trailer but no one was willing to check it out.
    I didnt know about Feedback Friday since MadeWithUnity section was advertised as being the section to post your games in.

I am very new to this, thank you all for your help, more suggestions/critiques are always welcome.

23. Perrydotto

Perrydotto

No, of course not, but you need to be good at marketing to get your game to the right audience, and to make money.

24. Aseemy

Aseemy

Yes i get that. But this was mentioned under me not getting any responses in the forum here for questions i asked.

25. Schneider21

Schneider21

What is marketing, really? It's connecting with people and selling them on a product/service, right? All I'm trying to say is that doing that (connecting with people) doesn't seem to be one of your strong suits. Since this is a game development forum and not a marketing help forum, all any of us can do is share opinions and experiences of our own on the matter. I don't know that anyone here is a marketing expert.

Communication is a "soft skill" that is difficult to refine. I somehow learned it by reading a lot as a kid and working in a restaurant where I was forced to interact with strangers all the time (before that I was so shy I couldn't even look people directly in the eyes when talking to them). This is in contrast to programming, which is a "hard skill" that can be trained and quantitatively improved.

Why don't people seem to be interested in your game? Or in responding to the threads you posted....

**screeeeech**

I just pulled up those threads you linked to see what may be the cause of not getting any attention. And the answer seems pretty obvious to me. You need to be patient! One thread is in a very specific subforum posted on Sunday. Another was in General Discussion from Friday. The other two (not counting your MWU one) were in specific subforums again, asking for help on specific issues. It's not uncommon for people to not respond if they don't know the answer... Doing otherwise amounts to empty posting, which is frowned upon around here.

Your Made With Unity post was created on August 14th and had a response that same day. Then it drifted down the page, as posts tend to do, and got bumped back up as you posted general updates. These kind of updates don't always draw responses from people. Why would they? "I released on Windows 8.1 and 10." Okay. Should someone respond "Hey, I'm using Windows 8.1!" just for the sake of it?

Your thread has 466 views. For just over a week, that's pretty good! But keep posting updates to it that aren't simple bumps. Show more videos and screenshots or something. And when you publish to a new platform, for God's sake, link to the product on that platform! People are lazy and don't want to have to hunt for things!

Don't forget... while we're often supportive of each other here, the majority of us are here to learn/share information and promote our own products. If you really want to get a conversation going about your finished game, you gotta get that community going, man. And a game developer forum isn't the most effective place to do that.

Ryiah, GarBenjamin and Perrydotto like this.
  26. Perrydotto

Perrydotto

That was likely in response to your game presentation thread, in particular, and yeah that doesn't look particularly inviting. A title banner and some screenshots would help, as well as writing a more engaging presentation. You wanna rope people in and get them interested; don't rely on the trailer to do that for you. Most people won't even give your trailer any thought if there's no interesting hook for them to get curious about.

theANMATOR2b and GarBenjamin like this.
  27. Aseemy

Aseemy

Thank you, i have learned a lot from you and others today.

Thanks, i'll work on it.

Martin_H and angrypenguin like this.
  28. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You don't. You are missing the point. Marketing has nothing to do with reposes on the forums. Marketing is to do with selling your game.

Really the first thing to do is identify your target audience and find out where they hang out. Post there, not on these forums.

MadeWithUnity is a distraction. These whole forums are a distraction. Your target audience is not here. The best you can hope for with that thread is the occasional bored forum browser looking for a distraction between tasks on their own game.

29. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

I remember seeing this talk at GDC about grassroots indie marketing that you might find interesting.
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021468/Indie-Grassroots

Growing your social presence takes time and consistent effort, so don't give up if it's slow going at first. The #madewithunity hashtag on Twitter is a fun way to share what you're working on, and we RT cool projects we see every Friday on the main Unity (@Unity3D) account and the Made with Unity account (@madewithunity). Things like screenshots, videos, gifs make your posts more eye-catching.

As an alternative, do you perhaps have a friend who you get on with well that you could team up with to handle the marketing side of things? Would be good practice for someone who wants to eventually go into marketing or community management.

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Its by no means new to hold a contest to get people to try your game. As @BoredMormon suggests this is not the right forum, try TouchArcade where this kind of competition is very common. Also you are better off offering a bunch of itunes vouchers, cash can be hard to get to people under 18, and its people under 18 that will be most interested in these small prizes.

I've done this myself, and although it was quite a while ago I don't think the CPI is going to work out any better than $1. Even if it does its not going to be anywhere near enough to make any real impact on store results. Still its a small amount of effort and worth a shot.

I'd also suggest you make your competition a bit more interesting and engaging than "spend ~6 hours to complete the game".

Kiwasi likes this.
  31. voltage

voltage

First three winners get a new Xbox One S. I'd participate in that.

Kiwasi likes this.
  32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Now that might be worth me waking up for. Its also worth noting that a physical prize is more attractive then the equivalent cash payout. Because humans and all.

One modification, you don't want 'first three'. That would mean the competition would be over as soon as three people are done. That's actually pretty expensive marketing for three installs. You want to give everyone that completes the game in a month an entry into a draw. You aren't getting people in because they will get an XBox. You are selling them the dream of being a winner.

Check out this video. Note that even though the odds are lower at winning big, people still prefer long odds. People are buying the dream, not the actual chance to win.

Perrydotto and angrypenguin like this.
  33. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

For Master Thief we did one where the best level time won a prize, so people could keep playing right to the end to improve their time.

We could have improved on it, by having the current times posted to a web page so people saw what they had to beat.

34. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

^This
    Can you explain 'why' you think this game could generate a decent amount of revenue?

Do you think maybe - people see this game and say to themselves - I've already played this game, just with different, better graphics?

This isn't derogatory I hope - please take it as constructive.
    I think the visuals for the game aren't as appealing as they could be and the gameplay (where the player spends most of his/her time) is pretty static. The main character has 3 basic states, left arm forward, right arm forward, both arms forward. There is no action from the main character beyond this. It would be more appealing to see the character perform totally different animations for each type of magical attack she can perform, with some interesting hold poses and follow through when the enemies are defeated. Maybe a victory dance or pose upon level complete.

All the enemies have the same mesmerizing slow march towards the character. It's pretty boring to look at. Except for the ghosts - some subtle variation there. Visually if each enemy had 2 (or more) different cycles/walks/gaits towards the main character - and the slow march wasn't so linear - it would 'look' a lot more interesting.
    All the missile/projectiles have the same linear motion and similar speed towards the enemies. Variation here would be welcome. Make one a lobbing missile, make one do a curvy spin towards the enemies - more variation - and add some (a lot) of cool fx when the enemies are getting hit and some hit reactions would look nice too.

Simply - there is NO juice in this game. Shake the screen when lightning strikes!

The fire and lighting are interesting effects, but there needs to be more everywhere. When lightning strikes it lights up the entire area - make it BIG and bright! Fire glows bright red/orange/white on things around it. Make the effect look damaging and strong!

The background images are static and after the first 10 seconds aren't interesting to look at anymore.

And lastly - the plot is odd. The character is on a quest to find the Tree of Life and she finds herself in danger. This presumes the danger appears before finding the tree while on the quest - but the gameplay area is of the character defending the tree, she is no longer on the quest - she had found it. And why is she standing inside the tree, why is there a hole in the tree and why is it blue? Some of the visuals just don't make any sense.
    The Levels - are standard fare for tower defense - but here again the visuals aren't really appealing and why are there cacti on the level select screen? Is that part of the story that is unveiled while the game is played? It looks like something just thrown in to take up space. All the elements should be related and match. There are several different types of rocks displayed and they are all different graphical styles. They don't match.
    One other thing about the levels screen - it makes the user feel like he/she is going on this quest through these areas. But instead the levels are waves of enemies the character has to defend against as she guards the motionless tree. I think a totally different visual representation of waves of enemies would be more in line with the gameplay.
    Maybe show the tree as a central piece on the map with waves moving towards the tree. As each wave is defeated (level) they are destroyed or crossed off the map. Or the other waves advance towards the tree.

I'm a gamer and these are things that I looked at when I checked out the trailer. The trailer was the reason I didn't download the game. I've already played this game 50 times before, but with better graphics, more fx, better story, more polish and more juice. I think this is also what other gamers say to themselves when the check out the game page.

Marketing to the target audience (tower defense fans) is definitely where the efforts should be directed, however I think most tower defense fans will say the same thing. They have already played this game before, only better. So why would I play this game?

35. goat

goat

No $150 isn't chump change and more people make more effort to download every internet freebie in their niche then they'll ever use or look at again (lol, Unity Asset Store). It's not going to work to get interest in your games to have a contest. It will speed up interest if your game is really good though.

If your game is good enough that you actually play it for enjoyment then you could create a FB 'Business' presence and offer a 4GB USB Fob 100 randomly chosen people out of the 1st 10,000 that liked your FB Business page. That would set you back about $1000 or less including shipping and FB ads but not including you own labour and probably more effective than spending $1000 straight up for advertising on FB or Google.

That would only speed up your game becoming popular if it was a very good game that had good word of mouth. $1000 is a lot of money but 10000 FB followers are a good thing to publicize you game(s) but better have a excellent game going in.

Then again you could do that for free by including a FB like button in your game and letting your game's quality do the talking via word of mouth.

Honestly, if I had a choice & was really, really confident I had an excellent game and wanted an effective way for an ad to get a potential customers to try the game I would do the USB flash drive ideal. Ideally I'd make it 100 randomly chosen users that reviewed your game on GooglePlay or iOS or whatever but you can't do that without all those privacy and COPA and other laws making it a legal swamp that you'd be wise to avoid - so the randomly chosen 100 people of the 1st 10000 that liked your FB page will have to do. Be prepared to monitor and censor your FB business page though.

zoran404, Aseemy and Kiwasi like this.
  36. zoran404

zoran404

I like how this weird contest lead to a genuinely interesting thread.

I'm not sure if those still exist, the 4gb usb sticks, but I do agree that giving relatively cheep stuff to randomly selected people for simply writing a review seems like an attractive offer.

8gb sticks go for around 5€ and you can get 16gb ones for the same price when they are on auction, at least in local stores here, so that might be a more tempting choice.

Kiwasi likes this.
  37. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe invest 1000$ into artwork before you invest 1000$ into ads, giveaways, competitions, usb sticks and whatnot. Just a thought...

movra, goat, theANMATOR2b and 2 others like this.
  38. goat

goat

No, I had that ideal long ago, well not so long, 4 years ago and then 4GB was like $4, but now you can get 4GB USB on Amazon for $0.99. Like I was saying though, have a game that you actually like to play yourself before spending hundreds on advertising.

OP can get a decent sized library of non-exclusive art for $1000 - $2000 depending on their goals but once they have that it makes no sense to continue to spend on art but to learn to modify their art assets.