Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any tutorials for making a real city?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by imDanOush, Jul 25, 2014.

1. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello.

Just before you write anything please read this, I made a terrain by an optimized height map in 3DsMax which took one month, because I wanted it to be prefect and I made a 3D terrian by 3DS Max, Then I made a very big satellite map of the area by Google Maps which took 2 days and only computers with more than 8GB RAM can open it! it's about 1.9 GP (1900 MP).

I wanted the satellite map be a guide for me to make trees,roads and houses in the exact place. To do this I should make houses one by one and also the trees and then I should import them into Unity3D and then place them on the 3D terrain. But the first thing is to make roads, So I installed "Easy Road 2" in my Unity3D software and I imported the terrain into Unity3D as FBX format with the texture (the satellite map, I mean).

But after converting it to FBX and importing it to Unity3D 4.3 I see no texture on the 3D model. And one of our members said maybe the way I want to make the city is wrong and maybe there is easier way to do it. So I'm asking you if you have easier or any alternative way for it, please tell me that.

I am waiting for a response.
    Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Have you tried google or youtube?

3. imDanOush

imDanOush

Yes I did. But I just found "how to make terrain" only, no useful thing else. So I decided to come here and get help from experienced game makers.

4. bizilux1

bizilux1

why dont you split terrain into smaller parts?
    i think having multiple smaller terrains is better than one gigantic like you have now. atleast 4 pieces. and then ur textures will probably show. what size is the texture anyways? because if im not wrong, unity can only show 4k x 4k textures. so divide ur terrain a bit, its pointless to work with such huge terrain, it is not optimized.

5. imDanOush

imDanOush

Ummmm you mean if I make the game with one piece it's not optimized? Okay if yes I should break it down into smaller parts.

Actually the texture is for my job I mean I want to make roads and trees according to it, after that I remove the texture.
    I decided to this:

and I want to start creating roads tomorrow.

Please note that I wanted to use the 3D terrain of the island instead of a plane for the texture before.
    It seems the new way working.

6. bizilux1

bizilux1

yes, i think you should use plane for ur "guide" texture.

and yes split huge terrains in smaller chunks, it is more optimized... just google "unity one big terrain or multiple smaller ones" and decide for urself.