Search Unity

Any Match 3 tutorials exist?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Reisuj, May 23, 2013.

1. Reisuj

Reisuj

I've been looking high and low and unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) I haven't seen any tutorials for a Bejeweled type match 3 game anywhere. I've seen the kits on the asset store but I'm wanting to find a tutorial to take me through the basic mechanics.

Does anyone know of any out there either video or text?

Thanks for any help.

2. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Making a match 3 game IS possible as I have done it.

Match Cubed

What I've done is create a Tile component that is applied to a Block prefab. A WorldGenerator script stores a Tile array. To find out which block is selected I've made a bool array. When I want the code to find blocks that match, I make it first check each side of a block. Each block that is similar will be added to a List<int> that stores the index of each block and there is also a temporary bool array to show if a tile's index has been checked already. Next I start a "while" loop that continuously checks those first few blocks to see if they have any similar blocks. That will keep branching out until it finds no more blocks. That function will return the list of indices so that the blocks/tiles can be selected and each Tile's GameObject can be sent a message to glow/unglow.

3. HoboMechanistic

HoboMechanistic

Hiya, I recently made a match-three game. It's super basic compared to the above example and Bejeweled (for example only three matches, nothing greater than three).

It might be useful to you though. I documented the different versions as I went through developing it in my blog here.

Pretty basic but it might help out? :)

4. Pakarat

Pakarat

Hi,
    Few days ago I created a simple match3 tutorial.
    Covered:
    • Generate board
    • Select two blocks
    • Check if they are near
    • Swap data nad position
    • Check for match
    • Destroy and spawn new blocks
    • And many effects
    Here you can find this tutorial(This is my new blog, I will post soon another tutorial):
    Also the source is included.
    Blog: unityplus.blogspot.com

5. mohit-parihar

mohit-parihar

hi...
    this will nice, but i m in another problem how to design level game like candy crush and farm heroes saga.
    In detail how to set number of moves and targeted score, because gems generate randomly and board design
    also change level by level and hurdle, buster so how to decide move, target and score, if any one idea please
    help me asap.

6. zubair1947

zubair1947

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017