Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

then you need to contact the sales team as back then, academic licenses like console stuff is cleared directly only, not publically.
    as decision maker though you know that already :)

2. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Thanks
    Is it just a formality ? a matter of price ? or you must prove to be a skilled developer ?

3. siliwangi

siliwangi

great news!what is the mono runtime version that are going be use in unity 3.0?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

2.6.x was mentioned as mono version of unity 3 a few pages earlier

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

for apple a matter of $99 / $299 per year

for all others much more and fully up to them if they accept you at all or not. also on the others its a five figure investment just for tech license and dev kit and the tech license is per title (see unity wii)

6. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

I can suppose that you will enable The Beast only in the pro version..... or not?..

7. Ender13

Ender13

This sums up exactly why I am so excited for this release. There are hardly any features left in my mind that I would want them to add at this point, and even those that have been added seemed like pipe dreams years ago.

Unity will be a great engine for hobbyists, indies, and professionals to make games using the same tools, and that is amazing.

And the Android platform will finally start to see good games!! I think there will be a lot of money to be had at first despite the preference for free content on the platform because everyone I know with an Android phone is dying for some good games to play.

8. etomp10291

etomp10291

the competition just got more intense...haha!! Unity 3 looks awesome!!

THANKS DEV TEAM!!

9. csantangelo

csantangelo

It took some time to decide but after seeing this I am in all the way! Keep up the great work.

10. MrDude

MrDude

Possibly completely off topic. To get info on the Wii developer licence it generally takes a few minutes in google (and I think there is a link on this very website also)

Today was the second time I spent hours searching the web for info on Sony's requirements to become a registered dev. From what I have gathered thus far:
    1. You can get one license for online downloadable games or another one for retail games
    2. If you make your game free then you have to pay Sony 1€ + tax per download
    3. Any money made in any way through the game (any way EXCEPT the actual sale of the game), Sony also gets 15% + tax
    4. If a dev kit breaks and it is not your fault, they will fix it.

From external sites I learnt the Dev kit costs $2000.
    I have no idea how much commission they take on the sale of the actual game, though...

What I have NOT found anywhere, is what the process is for becoming a dev. How much does THAT cost and what are they looking for?

For example, for the Wii, Nintendo demands that you NOT work from a home based office, that you can demonstrate to the person they will send out to you to com inspect that you DO have a secure place to store their property, dev kits costs between $2000 and $10 000 depending on the size of your team... etc etc

So what does it take to become a a PS3 dev? I DID read that you have to submit a form in which you list all software your team has ever developed as well as a portfolio of games you have created, state your company's tax number (so obviously you HAVE to be a registered business, not a garage indie) and the titles you propose to make...

Is that it? Or is there more? I mean it helps us very little if Unity can publish to the PS3 but Sony hides the process of becoming a developer from us, now , does it?

P.s. If we have Unity as Our SDK and the Editor as our Debug Console, do we still need to buy... sorry, I meant to say "rent" a Dev Kit from Sony?

11. Dorian

Dorian

Those new features look very promising.

But my question is: where any changes made to the material editor?

In the current version of unity We simply don't have any good control over the materials and shaders, so we tried to import shaders built in other external node based shader creation software and that failed miserably, even worse, most were unsupported and no one in the support forums had any clue how to import them properly! we obviously can't afford to write our own shaders in unity, so we are stuck with the very limiting material editor.

So once again we are hoping this area has been looked into so that things could balance themselves out, in the end what's the point of having great lighting features when you can't build proper materials to go with it and have that control you need.

But once again my compliments to the unity dev team for their great work!

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is no DX + OpenGL standard aside of CG (and CGFX), yet most tools you will find are totally DX focused and spit out HLSL or FX, both "useless" for direct usage

13. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I wonder if there will be improvements made to the terrain system.

Mainly... will trees be able to be set with a random Y rotation when being placed on terrain.

Also, will we have the option to put colliders on detail meshes?

Also, will we be able to have a little more control about how detail meshes are laid out? Or maybe have the ability to move trees and detail mesh individually after they have been put on the terrain.

Ah... and the ability to "erase" terrain objects.

14. Filto

Filto

I think you missed my point abit here. I wasn't knocking the mood they choose. I love dark and moody atmospheres. I was talking about the execution of it. Hue and value contrast are important in all images no matter what mood you are trying to convey. I'm just reflecting how me and other collegues of mine reacted. Cool features poor way of showing them off.

Anyway I'm not trying to bring down the mood. I'm as thrilled as anyone else here I just felt it was a shame that the demo didn't do them justice merely because of poor lighting.

15. TwiiK

TwiiK

It's probably Vimeo messing things up just like Youtube and Quicktime tends to do. Compare the frontpage image to the video and you'll see:

I actually like the look of the video though. It looks like the city is really polluted and the sense of depth is nice. Also the scene itself looks like a tech demo I once saw and really liked. Either way it shows of the new tech really well and our artistic impression of it doesn't really matter. We can create much nicer looking scenes when we get our hands on Unity 3.0 ourselves. :)

16. niosop2

niosop2

It did exactly what it was supposed to do. Showed off the ability of a deferred lighting system to handle lots of lights and the new audio features. Made me jizz in my pants...

17. Filto

Filto

Well it just comes down to taste I guess. I thought it was poor art and wanted to adress this since visual presentation is so important in this business and unity deserves all the best for bringing such a great tool to the world :)

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

not all are perfectionists :)

I found the color and mood pretty well.
    Its clear where the idea came from ... "Dark Unity" ... or just some kind of "Dark Knight" :)

19. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

i guess unity 3 could be a direct rival of udk and cryengine...

we have seen many indie games from unity, is enough!!!, unity will do great titles, the best ones....

i´m waiting for differences between indie and pro.... i not expecting shadows, just want to know if The Beast will be for indie too... no more..

If The Beast will not, so we can use pureLight, at the momment is the same..

20. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I would imagine that Beast would be Pro only. But you never know.

PureLight does look pretty nifty.

21. Filto

Filto

Yeah purelight will surely do great things for non-pro users.

As someone else asked I too am pretty curious if they have done anything to ease the creation of shaders like a node-based system

22. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

@Higgy,

Are we going to be informed of the upgrade discount nearing its final weeks or days before the official release of 3.0?

Reason I'm asking is because money is tight for me right now and wanted to have time to save up.

Thanks,
    Ray

P.S. Did not read the entire thread as it is over 10 pages

23. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

pureLights will be the alternative choice, so there will be no problem thanks god !:D

24. acropole

acropole

How long will this pre-purchase period will last ?

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Until 3.0 is released, like what was said many times before. :)

--Eric

26. cannon

cannon

As it's not listed in the features page, I'm sure the question burning on everyone's mind right now is:

Will the shark skin shader be included in Unity?

27. championsoftware

championsoftware

This is awesome. You guys are really doing a great job. I'll be pre-ordering in the next couple of days.

28. Discord

Discord

Idk why everyone feels the need to add "Free" or "Indie". It's just Unity and Unity Pro.

29. cannon

cannon

My bad, I go fix.

It's probably because in our heads, Unity Pro is a "kind of" Unity, so the need for the specification.

30. HJP

HJP

Awesome upgrade!! Ordered my 3.x Pro ....

31. AaronC

AaronC

:eek:

32. Jessy

Jessy

Probably because renaming the product "Unity" made it extremely confusing. There is no longer a unifying title for the product line.

It's good for talking about features that exist across the board:

Does Unity support the .fbx format?
    Yes.

But watch how unnecessarily verbose this becomes:

Are there dynamic shadows in Unity?
    Yes, if you have the Unity Pro license. They do not exist in Unity iPhone, however.

as opposed to:

Are there dynamic shadows in Unity Indie?
    No.

Also, watch this:
    Does Unity Indie support the .fbx format?
    Yes.

I support renaming the product Unity iPhone Pro, but having products called Unity and Unity iPhone, alongside the rest, is too much of a hassle.

33. nickavv

nickavv

I've felt the same way. I thought Unity Indie was a fine designator, even if it now is free.

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's nice in theory, but it's really kind of necessary to have a specific name for the free version, in order to distinguish it from Pro in discussions. Since just "Unity" covers them both.

--Eric

35. Discord

Discord

I retract my previous statement. :p

36. RenOliBR

RenOliBR

I love Unity, i'm learning it n my university,this engine is AWESOME!

I'm a little sad that my trial pro version finished today.. hehehe.. and i loveee shadows..

I'm going for sure buy the pro version when i learn more.

But i have some questions!

When does this version 3.x releases? The free version.

With the free version can i create games for Iphone, PC, PS 3 and 360??

Does all plataforms going to be within the pro license??

Good work guys, this is a great engine!

37. cannon

cannon

The free version creates games for Web/Win/Mac. The Pro version is the same; the other platforms (iPhone/Android/PS3/Wii/XBox360) are separate add-ons.

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They said summer 2010. The free "version" and Pro are the same program.

No.

No, each platform has its own separate license. The iPhone and console licenses additionally require you to be a licensed developer for the respective companies.

--Eric

39. zumwalt

zumwalt

I am glad they say summer, I have to wait on income tax to come in, but there is no upgrade option in the list to upgrade both unity pro and unity iphone basic, from what I read early adopter is $500 for pro and then $100 for the iphone piece so that is $600, would we need to email Unity about this?

40. Discord

Discord

To expand on Eric's answer, out of that list, you can only target the PC.

41. AaronC

AaronC

but but Summers just finishing..? :D

For me anyways.
    AC

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Oops, yeah, I didn't see "PC" there.

Don't worry, this will turn into early autumn, as usual. ;) That's just how software development goes...especially for something huge like Unity 3.0....

--Eric

43. mlapin

mlapin

Then it comes again that feeling of awe emanating from Unity! One more impressive move, guys! I'd rather give up counting :wink:

After reading this 20-pages-so-far incredible post -thank you HiggyB for patiently answering all-, three questions:

1- Is Unity Pro 3.0 beta available immediately for preorders? (sorry someone mentioned "when it comes the time..." or something, then I was confused) – if not, when? I'd love to anticipate learning and testing!

2- Which is the timeframe for the public web plugin to be fully compliant to 3.0? Will it be simultaneous to Unity 3.0 release, or sweetly before?

3- Will previous plugins even be able to run projects built on 3.0? How are current plugins supposed to behave with future 3.0 contents?

Thank you!

Mario

44. cannon

cannon

20 pages and we're not quite at 24 hours yet :D

1. The beta builds are not yet available for download.
    2. Probably shortly before so the beta builds can test against it.
    3. Nope, it'll be a new/upgraded plugin (new Mono etc.)

45. booger

booger

Valid points, but I've pondered about this before already. The strategy would be to use Unity 3.0 to develop your game (for PC/Mac/Browser) for free and even without special effects still be able to showcase the core of your game. Then you can use this complete prototype to shop for licensed studios who will then be able to use their PS3/Xbox360 license to enhance your game (or if they are willing to invest more in the graphical assets).

AAA games are ridiculously expensive to create and 2009 was a terrible year with developers getting laid off left and right. This would make a perfect opportunity for these new freelancers to really get creative and it is a smart move for Sony, Microsoft, and Unity to capitalize on their efforts. We probably will see fewer multimillion dollar games, but they will be made up for with an explosion of creative, downloadable games. Something which we've always had on the PC but because of piracy (hey, we have to make a living), naturally gravitate towards consoles like the big boys.

46. zibba

zibba

Wow this post has become hugely long. To dispel some of the myths surrounding becoming a registered Sony dev.

First visit the website SCEDEV (find it in Google). Proceed for your territory (SCEA is North America, SCEE is Europe and Australia, Japan is SCEI). Proceed through the TPR. You will need to provide Sony with an outline of the proposed project, your history as a game developer, company details and which publisher you are signed with. Sony will then decide if that project is suitable for the platform. You will then be assigned an account manager from whom you can buy dev kits. As a guide PS2 used to be $10,000 each. Then you contact Unity and buy Unity PS3. Then you make the game. Finally you go through the TRC and on to manufacture, while your publisher handles distribution. Note Nintendo and Microsoft operate in a very similar way.

47. Dorian

Dorian

I also want to add : Is vertex animation going to be supported in unity 3.0? I cannot stress more the importance of such a feature.

Cheers

48. jashan

jashan

Actually, I think there is (not perfectly sure because I updated Unity Pro + Unity iPhone Pro + Asset Server Client; but the option is there so I'm pretty sure it should work):

1. Select "Upgrade to Unity Pro 3.x from Unity Pro 2.x"
    2. Check "with iPhone" (instead of "with iPhone Pro")
    3. If you use Asset Server, check "with Asset Server client license"
    4. Do not worry about the price that's shown ;-)
    5. Click Upgrade
    6. Again: Do not worry about the price
    7. Enter the last serial you received
    8. Now the price *should* be corrected (and your contact details filled)
    9. In any case, press "Review Order"

In case it doesn't "move on" - look for a hard to find error message that there's a problem with your serial number (I first used my Pro serial number - but I had to use the iPhone Advanced because that was the last one I had received).

49. mlapin

mlapin

Clarifying indeed! Thank you! :)

50. Tysoe

Tysoe

I wonder if unity will support the new .FBX 2011 specifications.

I saw Autodesk announced it this week and it includes some very useful features.. LOD and Instances.

With instances Artists will be able to use their 3D app as an Object placement editor using its more sophisticated object and subobject snap and align tools to build complicated level geometry saving a lot of time in the early stages of level building. Unity's Editor is great for setting up gameplay mechanisms, but not so much for object placement.

LOD is pretty obvious :)