Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animator - The Ultimate Timeline Cutscene Editor for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by absameen, May 14, 2012.

?

What would you like to see next with Animator?

1. More Camera Transitions

35 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. More Videos / Tutorials

41 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. HOTween Support

34 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Unity 4.0 Support

84 vote(s)
    59.2%
  5. Other / Please Specify

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wolfos

Wolfos

Looks good, affordable as well. Will purchase when needed.

2. toto2003

toto2003

hi
    it happen with unity 3.5.6, i try to reproduce this error with a simple skybox, a plane, several camery and switch them with animator timeline, i setup my build under ios, maybe that cause that issue.

3. toto2003

toto2003

this drive me crazy, even if i set up the build into pc or android i got this error, it s just a simple scene with a plane, really weird.

i got a new error now

Destroying assets is not permitted to avoid data loss.
    If you really want to remove an asset use DestroyImmediate (theObject, true);
    UnityEngine.Object:Destroy(Object)
    AMCameraFade:clearTexture2D() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMCameraFade.cs:907)
    AMTween:CameraFadeCleanup() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:6224)
    AMTween:Dispose() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:8140)
    AMTween:TweenComplete() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:5307)
    AMTween:Update() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:7465)

and that s the error if i just want to use switch camera timeline

ReadPixels was called to read pixels from system frame buffer, while not inside drawing frame.
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:ReadPixels(Rect, Int32, Int32, Boolean)
    AMTween:GetScreenTexture() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:6232)
    AMTween:GenerateCameraFadeTargets() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:3646)
    AMTween:GenerateTargets() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:3597)
    AMTween:TweenStart() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:5256)
    <Start>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/Animator/Plugins/AMTween.cs:7455)

i can send u my scene, but there really nothing in there and even create a fresh project with just animator on it.
    i use unity 3.5.6f4 on a mac

cheers

4. robertshearing

robertshearing

I have a problem with the Stop method. If a track has more than 2 tracks only the first 2 tracks stop on the Stop method. The remaining continue to play. I have tried different setups such as grouping tracks, staring all tracks at time 0 but it makes no difference.

I'm using the latest 1.53.1 and Unity 3.5.6

Thanks

5. toto2003

toto2003

nevermind, my bad forget to deactivate an old script wich switch camera as well.
    wok fine now.

6. absameen

absameen

Hi Robert,

There seems to be a problem with iTween that sometimes occurs when stopping its tweens. We are in the process of porting the Animator Timeline to HOTween; a more robust and efficient tweening engine.

In the meantime, a workaround is to find all AMTween components with GameObject.FindObjectsOfType and stop them manually with AMTween.Stop(GameObject). This might have to be done in an Update method to ensure all tweens are stopped correctly.

We understand that the workaround might not be ideal and are working on the HOTween port which will solve iTween's issues.

Thanks for the feedback. If you have anymore feedback or questions, please don't hestiate to contact us again.

7. toto2003

toto2003

hotween, freaking cool!!!!!

8. zalogic

zalogic

Can't wait for HOTween to be fully integrated in the Animator!

People, don't forget to donate a few dollars to the HOTween developer. I donated twice so far and I really think he deserves it and it will also help it become even more powerful:
    http://www.holoville.com/hotween/index.html

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Please, do not use Resources folder for editor graphics; your images are being built into the player.
    Use 'Editor Default Resources' instead.
    I've just notice a ton of asset store's packs are using Resources folder and was asking myself why my build was around 800mb at the moment... Don't ppl read guidelines?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  10. toto2003

toto2003

hi absameen

i was testing animator recently and face an issue , i got a characters with several animation and setup my wrapmode for all my animations, but it seem that after i play just one animation with animator timeline, it override all my wrapmode even i didnt use them with animator timeline.

so my workaround is to recall a method wich give me back all my wrapmode, but that would be nice to fix that in future.
    also being able to scale an animation in the timeline would be also great.

thanks

11. zalogic

zalogic

Hi there,

We've purchased this tool and I would like to know if there are any plans for it to receive any further updates in the near future. Does it have a roadmap? Or it is a short-term project?

One more short question:
    Is there any way to start a Unity animation from the tool or in other words is there a way to control the playback of a Unity animation from the timeline of this tool? (Play/Pause/Stop/Rewind)
    For example if I have a walking animation for a character and I move him using the Animator timeline editor, but I want to sync movement with the character's mesh animation (which is a Unity Animation exported from 3DS Max). How can this be done?

Any feedback from the developer would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. tao-tao

tao-tao

13. MaaS

MaaS

Hi! New customer here hehe :D

Such a great product... I read the whole thread and watched the videos before buying it, and wow! it had improved a lot since the first versions, kudos!...

Just a few suggestions... I know you use a tween engine (right now changing it to Hotween) but I would love to have a real Unity anim export... It could be only for position/rotation/event tracks... at the end, we are making keyframes and adjusting the ease (predefined) just the same so Animator could export an .anim file with the same keys with only linear/flat/smooth ease... This way It's not necessary any tween engine if you dont want it, and we could have queued and crossfaded anims for a character animated inside Animator... and we could forget the integrated editor for real hehehe

Another thing more oriented to Flash-people... Position+Rotation+Scale track... in a combined track, add key would add to everything, so if you are animating a parted character you don't have to make groups for each part with the 3 tracks, and manage every key...

:)

Thanks and keep that great work!!

14. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,

how to activate 2 cameras at once Ngui UI camera + world camera.
    Thanks

Ed

15. sleekdigital

sleekdigital

Anyone know if this could be used with rage tools?

16. Berryblue031

Berryblue031

I am very interested in using this in my project so we can control the cinematic world on a timeline, and have a general scene take editing system, BUT our characters are all animated with Unity Mecanim so instead of animating the characters on the timeline we would just want to be able to set Mecanim parameters. Is this suitable for that?

17. sfilo

sfilo

hello, I have a little problem exporting the "take" from the options panel. I get this error:

"Failed to save scene "Path where to save"
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:SaveScene(String, Boolean)
    AMTakeExport:saveSelectedItemsToScene() (at Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMTakeExport.cs:144)
    AMTakeExport:OnGUI() (at Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMTakeExport.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()".

Thanks for the help.

18. absameen

absameen

Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to not reaching our sales targets and being very busy with other projects, I cannot dedicate more time to the Animator Timeline. Unity updates are frequent and are constantly breaking code. This requires a lot of time to maintain extensions. However, I will do my best to provide customer service to those who have purchased the extension.

Therefore I would like to release the Animator Timeline for free as an open-source extension. This would allow anyone to improve upon the extension which will hopefully result in a much better product for everyone.

Edit: It's official, Animator Timeline is now open-source and free!

Best Regards,
    Abdulla Ameen

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  19. Demigiant

Demigiant

I'm very sorry that Animator was a disappointment to you, but I personally understand. Making it free and open-source is a very nice gesture, and now good luck with your other projects :)

20. nixter

nixter

Absameen,

Thank you for releasing this as open source. I know some of the people who paid for it may feel some buyer's remorse, but I hope they realize that by making it open there will be a better chance of updates and additions from future users. It's generous of you to do this and better for all users.

I'm eager to take a look at Animator and see if there is any way I can help out and support the community.

BTW: I loved Murloc RPG! I remember playing it years ago. It's a pleasure to see you are still involved in games! :D

21. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

imported but demo scene not working, it says the reference script is not attached

22. joaof

joaof

Hi.

First of all, congratulations on developing this amazing tool.

I have a problem. I tried to do video tutorial of the event tracker that you made available, but when i tried to call Animator.Play(...), Unity gives me an error saying: "Assets/Scripts/Scripting.js(6,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'Animator'.", but I have the Animator imported to Unity already.

Do you know what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance

23. absameen

absameen

Hi joaof,
    The Animator class has been renamed to AnimatorTimeline due to a conflict with the Animator class in Unity 4.0.

24. hexdump

hexdump

I must say thanks a lot for this. It is a really great tool and free and more important open source. Thanks a lot for this.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the hotween integration!.

On the other hand, is there any possibility to play a take backwards? This is usseful for example for opening and closing menues.

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  25. q_unity

q_unity

Hi,

I'm trying to get the elapsed seconds from the AnimatorData object and I noticed it only gets updated when the game is playing, is there a way to get the elapsed time or any relevant data when the timeline is playing regardless the game state(aka not playing)?

These are the steps I followed, I just got started with unity so it might be wrong:

Create a c# script that defines a public AnimatorData variable and debug the AnimatorData.elapsedSecond in the update ( the script is set to be executed in edit mode, ExecuteInEditMode)
    Drag drop the AnimatoData object from the hierarchy to my script properties in the inspector.
    At this point if I play the game I see the AnimatoData.elapsedSeconds gets update, but if I play the timeline it doesn't move.

thanks.

26. waskar

waskar

so do i, Thank you and scuze my english...
    it looks excellent, but something is out of my understanding i wrote in the cube i want to animate:

function Start () {
    AnimatorTimeline.Play("Take1",true);
    }
    but it does not loop...
    although i see in the inspector that there is a script called AMtween added with a variable Loop Type: haw do i access it?
    thank you.

27. toto2003

toto2003

will it get any update on that awesome tool? does it work well on latest unity build? remember facing few issue with previous version...

28. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Its open source, feel free to submit a pull

29. peacefulshade

peacefulshade

If I'm creating a commercial non open source game, can I use Animator?

30. kirk123456

kirk123456

Can I ask where do i place the 'MyScript'? My take did'nt play when i press the play button. Thankyou for your answer.

31. macs054

macs054

Hi. I want to make a fade animation but I can't find the Transition Picker. How will I open it?

32. Jasper1900

Jasper1900

I got the following error, and really don't know how to fix it:

Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMCodeView.cs(456,34): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `UnityEngine.Camera[]' to `Camera[]'

How do I fix this?

33. TheValar

TheValar

I read in the top of the thread that this uses a modified version of iTween. I know from an unfortunate personal experience that apps using iTween cannot pass Windows App Store Certification because of the use of Hashtables. Is this plugin also relient on hashtables?

34. figo

figo

Hi,

When I created a track ( any type ), the Animator crashed, the Console log like this, and as in this screenshot:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AMTimeline.showTrack (.AMTrack _track, Int32 t, Int32 group_level, System.Single track_y, System.Boolean isAnyTrackFoldedOut, System.Single height_group_elements, UnityEngine.Event e, Vector2 scrollViewBounds) (at Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMTimeline.cs:1721)
    AMTimeline.showGroupElement (Int32 id, Int32 group_lvl, System.Single track_y, System.Boolean isAnyTrackFoldedOut, System.Single height_group_elements, UnityEngine.Event e, Vector2 scrollViewBounds) (at Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMTimeline.cs:1585)
    AMTimeline.OnGUI () (at Assets/Animator/Files/Editor/AMTimeline.cs:1249)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

screenshot:
    $animator_snapshot.png

My platform is win7-64bit and Unity 4.3.20. The Animator_Timeline's version is 1.53, and I download it from Asset Store. Could you help me?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  35. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

I figure it's time I chime in here and say that I've been modifying this tool for quite some time now and have fully integrated HOTween to replace iTween. It even uses the Sequencer which is very helpful and makes things a great deal easier and more efficient. Not only that, but there is now an option to cache the animations during the script's initialization so there is little to no memory overhead during runtime.

Also this tool can now be used for independent game objects on the scene to allow for multiple animations.

Here is the repository of the modified version:

https://github.com/ddionisio/MateAnimator

Simply clone the repository to your Assets folder and make sure you have HOTween as well.

Please note that this is still an on-going development and there are bugs. Most notably is undo/redo is broken (yet again) with Unity 4.3

Other issue is the event key breaks when you use overloaded functions. The event key needs a little bit more revamp such that it needs to take into account class hierarchies.

For the most part, the tool still functions the same as before.

An example use of this tool is a recent game I've been developing:

http://www.renegadeware.com/web_games/megagirl/

As far as the new MechAnim, if there's anyone reading this, is there still an advantage using this tool compared to Unity's timeline editor? Let me know what you guys think!

I haven't taken the time to experiment with the MechAnim. IMO, if it's still the same clunky curve editor but with some few additons, I will still consider taking the time to further develop this one.

36. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

figo, try out MateAnimator and see if it works.

37. nukeD

nukeD

Amazing. I have to create a quick 'intro' animation for a scene, i'll try your version.
    Lets see what happens :)

EDIT:

What is that?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  38. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

That was supposed to be for JSON exporting but I decided to abandon it...looks like I forgot to remove that one. Sorry! The repository has been updated that remove any fastJSON reference.

39. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks... here is your >> LINK << again for the others.

edit: how do i switch cameras now that Camera Switcher is gone (it doesn't show on my PC)?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  40. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

There's no alternative for the Camera Switcher at the moment...I may add it back as a separate piece rather than re-integrate it in the Animator. It makes more sense for it to be separate than built-in.

41. toto2003

toto2003

wow you manage to integrate hotween for that awesome plug in, nice work, i ll give a try, thanks for this awesome move!!!

42. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

No problem! It really is an awesome plug-in, which is why it's worth fixing it up.

Though it is no longer specifically used for Cutscenes.

43. toto2003

toto2003

i just try it, and it work like a charm, i really love the user interface compare to the other similar paid plug in that i own, why not implementing the build in switch camera? especially for cutscenes.
    again great job!!! it s awesome , the hotween dev would love to see that, send him a pm :)

44. toto2003

toto2003

hello sinfritz, this doesnt seem to work AnimatorTimeline.Play("Take1");
    how can i play a take by script? can t find the method.

thanks

45. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

It's no longer global, so you will have to reference the AnimatorData component and call Play("Take") from there. Maybe I can add a flag to set one as global. For now, in your script, you can add an AnimatorData field. Then set it to whichever timeline you want to control (Play, Stop, etc.)

As for the switch camera, if I remember correctly...it's because of how I changed the way things work internally. Most likely because I wanted to have multiple instances of AnimatorData. I can add it back in, but it will be separate. That'll be later once I get around to fixing undo/redo for Unity 4.3.

46. toto2003

toto2003

oh i see, work super fine now, the switch camera is something i m willing to pay as i love that tool!!! if you can add this you ll made lot of poeple days! :)

47. Steamroller

Steamroller

Not sure if this being actively developed or not, but i found a bug and thought i would report it.

If you are using the event system, and the event you are trying to bind to is overloaded, the system will error.

Edit:

It appears that SendMessage doesn't play nicely with overloads so this might not be doable even if it didn't error.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  48. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

Yeah it's a known issue in both regards, I have to take a closer look at how to properly serialize a function signature that are overloaded. We'll see.

For now I am currently finishing up a project (hopefully by next month!) and then I can focus a little bit on this to fix up some of those long standing issues.

49. Sinfritz

Sinfritz

Another thing I realized a while back is putting back the JSON import/export. I think that'd be a great way to back up animations in case things explode while you edit (and also for better handling prefabs in certain situations). Having both options to serialize via json or object would be nice.

50. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Sinfritz,

Congrats on Hotween integration. Super nice.

Json import/export would really be awesome. Another option is to make an interface that allows other Json packages to be plugged in. I'm thinking of the recently very popular Json.net with AOT support on the asset store. For those that already are using a Json solution can plugin and use.

Edit: Does MateAnimator work on Mobile ?

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014