Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animator, Parameter does not exists bugg?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Eqric, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Eqric

Eqric

Hey, most of the times i build my game and then after try to run it in the Editor, all the Animator.SetXXX("Name",value) calls gets the warning "Parameter "Name" does not exist." ( which break all animations).
    I will get this every time i try to run the game in editor until i restart Unity.

Any idea if this is something i am doing wrong or is it a bugg?

2. Elric

Elric

Same problem, only restart helps

3. akyoto_official

akyoto_official

I got the same problem right after a fresh cold start. Restarting it seems to be the only way of "fixing" it.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

4. akyoto_official

akyoto_official

Sorry for double post but I wanted to share some info about this annoying bug:

It only occurs when you have the Animator tab open for me. If you get the same problem, try closing the Animator tab and only then restart Unity (otherwise restart won't help). It's all about closing the Animator tab for me.

5. Alf203

Alf203

Have you filed a bug?

6. Jakeo-Spikez

Jakeo-Spikez

I have the same issue here. In my networked game with a lot more stuff going on, any direct change I make to the animator tab (i.e. modifying a transition or switching an animation out on a state for another, etc) cause my instantiated models to not render at all and they only come back after closing out of the animator tab and restarting Unity. I get the same parameter does not exist errors in the console as well whenever it happens. Thanks go to this thread for finding out about the close animator tab + restart trick.

If I make modifications to the animator in a simple game I created with no networking and no model instantiating going on etc, making changes to the animator works as expected and I can rapidly test things without a problem. So I am just using a new simple project to test my animations for now so that it doesn't require a Unity restart every time.

7. Anisoropos

Anisoropos

I've been bashing my head against the wall for a week now to solve this freaking bug... needless to say had I not found this thread my wall would probably have a hole in it by now, but closing the Animator tab, restarting and rebuilding works!!

while (1){
    Debug.Log ("Thank you!\n");
    }

Durium and dylan-evans like this.
  8. ProgrammerJens

ProgrammerJens

Thank you for the solution: Close Animator tab, restart Unity.

Horrible bug.

Durium likes this.
  9. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi guys.

We have never reproduced this bug. Could you please file us a bug, with the repro project!

thanks!

10. Muehsam

Muehsam

Hi,

I know this posting is quite old, but the bug seems to be already there.
    Thanks for your tipps, I hope it helped me. This thing was about to drive me crazy!

Greets
    muehsam

11. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Same here, it fires randomly, also on other platforms/builds (Android), the animator seems to be the problem.
    When it happens, the character bound to the animator is stuck in a position and nothing seems to be able to unstuck it.

Maybe it's something about the initialization order, since it seems to

12. Nes

Nes

I don't know if you still have this issue open somewhere, but I can confirm it happens in 4.3.4f1. Have an Animator with about 9 params, mostly bools and a couple of triggers, two layers, about 9-10 states. Deploying to iPad mini went FOOBAR all of a sudden after moving the Animator window in the editor and docking it in different positions on screen.

Closing the Animator window and restarting fixed the problem instantly.

Thanks for the tips, this was driving me crazy.

13. OneManArmy3D

OneManArmy3D

Can confirm that bug still exist... Right away after i added first parameter with "Trigger", i see warnings about not existing parameter.
    I fixed this bug by adding one more parameter.
    unity v 4.3.4f1

14. Ges

Ges

In unity 4.3.4f1 this bug exists. I don`t add parameters and states. I just change mask on layer.

15. UVMarko

UVMarko

This still exists in 4.5. And it's also being transferred to the Android device when building.
    If I start the editor, and the animator window is open. I build and run and the Animations does not work on the device. then if I play in the editor I get the Parameter missing warnings and animations does not work in the editor as well. if I reopen the editor and play before building, it's fine. submitting a bug report with my project now.

16. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Yep, still getting it here as well. It even happens on builds and is fixed with a rebuild. Basically, the whole animator dies, the model stays in the bindpose, not even the Humanoid T-pose. Unfortunately, I have not been able to produce a repro project but I do wonder whether it is related to the Any State transition deserialization bug.

17. gshape

gshape

The bug is still exists in 4.5.1f3. The restart "solution" works sometimes but the worse is it happens on the iOS build randomly! e.g. I usually need to takes build twice (without chaining anything) to eliminate this problem.

If anyone with kind soul can tell me if this bugs already fixed in latest version of Unity please? And the URL of this bug on bug tracker please?

Thanks guys!

18. Tinnes

Tinnes

Thanks for the tip about closing the Animator window, this bug was driving me nuts.

19. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I've encountered this issue with 4.6.0b20 - I had to remove and re-add my animation controller variables, then I had to make sure that the Animator window was closed when building scene asset bundles which referenced those controllers.

20. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

Hi guys. We believe we have found and fixed this problem for good.

The fix will be in in 4.5.5 patch 3.

Please tell us if it works for you!

rahulk1991 likes this.
  21. Foxxis

Foxxis

Sorry Unity,
    This bug still occurs in 4.6fc2..!!

22. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

4.6fc2 doesn't necessarily have the 4.5.5 patch releases rolled into it.

23. Foxxis

Foxxis

It really should considering it is a release candidate,

24. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Well, it claims to have 4.5.5f1 equivalency, not 4.5.5p3, ie. it's equivalent to the latest public tested release. I agree that it should have it but it will probably only get it after those patches make it into an actual point release.

25. Foxxis

Foxxis

Hm. Grrr. :)

Seriously though I understand what you are writing but had still hoped that bug fixes were applied to the 4.6 branch as well...

26. Droo

Droo

Can confirm this bug in 4.6.0f3. While building asset bundles with animator window open, always have broken animation controller that is open in the editor. Simply closing editor tab and rebuilding resolves this problem.

27. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

The 4.5.5 patch release fixes are not in the 4.6.0f3 release, they are in the 4.6.0p1 release.

28. Droo

Droo

Great news, thanks.

29. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

No, the 4.5.5 patch releases are in 4.6.1 which came out two days ago.

30. BeanCheeseStudio

BeanCheeseStudio

This small hack can save flood of useless warning .... this below script is used with Onclick method of the new UI Button (e.g. unity 4.6.1.f1).
    Little bit of modification in below code can be used for all sort of Trigger event

public class Some_small_behaviour : MonoBehaviour {

Animator anim;
    static string clickedObject;

void Start () {

}

public void WhatButtonClicked(string ClickedObjName)
    {
    //Do the animator object initiation in Event/trigger method(e.g. WhatButtonClicked) instead of Start() /Awake()

anim = this.gameObject.GetComponent<Animator>();

if (anim != null) {
    anim.ResetTrigger (clickedObject);//this is optional unless you reset a animation state
    clickedObject = ClickedObjName;
    }

}

void Update()
    {
    if (clickedObject != null && anim != null ) { /// this condition is will help to stop warning flood
    anim.SetTrigger(clickedObject);
    }

}

}

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Nukode likes this.
  31. PandawanFr

PandawanFr

Anyone knows if there is a fix for 5.0? Because I still have it!

32. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

@Mig35700 : that is really unexpected.

Maybe its a different bug with the same symptoms. Can you file us a bug with repro project ?

thanks!

pp

33. PandawanFr

PandawanFr

Is there a way to send PMs? Because I don't really want others to have my file :eek:

34. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

simply file us a bug, and post the bug number here.

35. PandawanFr

PandawanFr

[EDIT]: Oh, file a bug, ok, I thought you wanted the file, sorry I'm French so I didn't really get it. What you meant is Send a Bug Report right?

Here is the link of the Bug Report

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  36. pierrepaul

pierrepaul

Unity Technologies

From the bug report:

In your case, you are trying to access 'isPressed' parameter while the parameter's name is 'IsPressed'

cheers!

37. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

There is still issue in 4.6.5

Parameter '' does not exist.
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

So is there bug or this normal behaviour?

38. Aurore

Aurore

Does anyone have a bug number?

This bug 686797 was closed for this reason and is unrelated to the previous posts.

39. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes you are correct, it seems the thread is talking about two different issues.
    When I searched the forums, this is only thread I came across with this problem.

The actual Unity warning message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Parameter '' does not exist.
    2. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
    Unity 4.6.5p4

I'm using a plugin called DOTween, so maybe its something to do with this interaction or as someone mentioned the Unity GUI (still not stable)

As this is a warning message its not a show stopper but would be nice to figure out what is going on, I would have to do some more investigating myself before rushing at bug reports (to many users not debugging before submitting useless reports as you can see)

Cheers

40. Aurore

Aurore

I'll send this to someone, but pretty much everyone is away as there is a national holiday today in Denmark.

41. Mike99

Mike99

hey there,

Running Unity 5.1.2f1 and it seems there's still a bug with the animator parameters.

I have an editor script that displays a popup filled with the parameters of the given Animator and as soon as I move something in the Animator view editor, the popup disappears.

I have to press Play/Stop to make it reappear. I can see with a Debug.Log that the parameters list is empty until I press Play/Stop.

Any clue ?

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I still have bug in 4.6.8p2 - tried number of things still says

Code (CSharp):
    1.     Parameter '' does not exist.
    2.     UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  43. Mince_AT_FC

Mince_AT_FC

animator.SetTrigger("isJumping");

Parameter name aminator does not exist in the current context is this a the same bug years on or am I doing something wrong?

I need to set the bool var in animator control,

Ive built levels, done a front end, added my character
    and cant get him to change from idle to jump???

please help !

44. Chris196

Chris196

i have the same bug still on Unity Version 5.2.1.1f. And i have a problem with them line endings (MAC/Windows)

45. subash95

subash95

It's not a bug. You have forgot to add about the triggers or float or any kind of values as parameters in animator window.

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I'm pretty sure I did this, something wrong with the input fields..
    But lets see what others say..

47. blitz78

blitz78

Same issue here after upgrading to 5.2.2f1. Restarting and closing the Animator tab did not help

gregory_igromatic and MrEsquire like this.
  48. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Why would it?

49. cooldude5757

cooldude5757

Even I have this bug.. Any solution?

50. Nodrap

Nodrap

Hit this just now too but it only started to happen on my project and I can't work out why it only just started to happen. I have an animation controller on an object that is turned on at startup and then set unactive as this is needed for various reasons (probably animation related).
    Now when I try to play an anim through a trigger parameter it thinks it has no parameters until after I try and it fails to play it. An OnGUI shows no parameters until this failed attempt fires. I can manually trigger the anim in the editor and it still thinks it has no parameters until I call.

if (scr.GetComponent<Animator>()!=null && Global.AnimatorHasParameter( scr.GetComponent<Animator>(), "Show"))

which is false but it seems after this the parameter list that I am monitoring with an OnGUI call suddenly shows them.

But what I don't get is that it used to all be working a day ago!!! I regenerated the AnimationController, I cleared the Animator and Animation tabs and restarted. I reimported everything but it is still broken. I am at a loss as to what to do next! I guess I may have to try 5.3 (am on 5.2.3) but I hate to use the first version of any significant build increment as it will be the most buggy!