Search Unity

Animating Object with Playmaker? can't play the animation.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SequencePostVancouver, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SequencePostVancouver

SequencePostVancouver

Hi,

I have a simple task that I want to achieve for an archviz project, but seems overly complicated to accomplish.

I want an object to play animation upon either clicking it, or walking into a trigger.

I'm really not familiar with Unity, so learning as i go, but it seems like a logical task to accomplish. Click object and play animation.

I'm using Unity 5.3.1 (the free version) and we have playmaker, which a colleague wants me to try and use for the task.

So far, i've managed to set up a state system, that when clicked changes the states, ie; for example a door, if i click the door, i can see the state changes back and forth. However no animation is played. I've tried Play Animation, setting the blend to 0, adding the clip, but still does not play.

Is there any specific settings I need to address when importing the geo? I'm currently importing the geo with animation.

Thanks,
    David

2. SequencePostVancouver

SequencePostVancouver

3. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

4. SequencePostVancouver

SequencePostVancouver

To be honest, i'm still very new to Unity, so not sure of the best practice. What is the best method for doing simple environment animation, such as opening doors, windows, rotating doors, such elements that have very simple animation. We have one element that has a complex door opening, which has been animated in 3ds Max.

I figured the process was animating in Max, and bringing this into Unity as FBX, then attaching actions to drive the animation.

Is there another more used method than the approach i'm taking? I'd still like to use Play Maker if possible.

Thanks
    David

5. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

That's probably the quickest way to get up and running. As long as you import the animation as a Legacy Animation (previous post) you can just stick a PlayMakerFSM on the object and use the Play Animation action when you want to play it. There are downloadable samples that show how to trigger doors, lights etc.

The alternative is to learn the newer Mecanim animation system, which you can also control with Playmaker. You can do more sophisticated animations with Mecanim (especially for characters) but it takes a little longer to learn.

Either way you should join the Playmaker forums to talk with other Playmaker users:
    http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php