Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Androids that work with Unity Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wozik, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Taz-dragon

Taz-dragon

Recon Jet (AR glasses) works for me.

2. AdaluteGames

AdaluteGames

I have a question. I am a little bit confused. I thought apk will work on any android device? why are people saying that we should be certain phones because they have so many millions of users.. that doesnt make sense to me.. .wont the apk that I export from unity work on any android device? If i want to buy a samsung galaxy s to test my apps on to make sure they work why wouldnt the apk still work on other android devices????

3. squadron

squadron

I know. its stupid isnt it? things never get easier. it gets harder before it gets easier only to get harder before it gets harderererererer.
    I was about to buy zenfone 2 and m4 aqua. but now not even sure if it'll work.

4. Ox_

Ox_

Be careful around these GPUs:
    PowerVR SGX530
    PowerVR SGX540

I'm testing the game on dozens of devices and the mentioned GPUs are giving me a purple screen. It's probably some shader issue. The easiest way to test it is to get Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

By the way, does anybody have a list of non-NEON devices? I need to filter them out in Google Play because Unity 5 does not support it anymore. They are not filtered automatically by Google Play - I have Tegra 2 devices enabled in the developer console.

UPD: found the list of non-NEON devices here

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. larku

larku

With which version of Unity?

6. Ox_

Ox_

Unity 5

larku likes this.
  7. rschilling

rschilling

I'm not seeing Motorola Moto G (Android 4.4.3 on the list). Compared to some other Android phones, this model doesn't run Unity apps as well.

8. Ox_

Ox_

That's not correct, both Moto G and Moto E run Unity games without any issues (except for Moto E being slow because it's a low-end model).

9. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

this 3 devices can't download my app from the Google Play Store, they get an incompatible message:

• Galaxy Tab 3,

• Nexus 7 Tablet

• Alcatel one touch 995

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

What's the app making use of? Also, if they're non-NEON, that might throw them off...

11. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

I found the reason. I made my game Android 2.3 compatible and the app size was 52MB. On the most devices this seems to be no problem. But the app store rules say. the limit for apps below Android 4.0 is 50MB. Above Android 4.0 it's 100MB. So I changed my app to 4.0 and up and now everyone can download the app.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wow, didn't think that 100MB's the new limit for newer devices. Maybe they should remove the old one... ;)

13. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

no they never installed an old version. Meanwhile it seems I have to revert my solution. I got wrong informations from the testers. The app is still not compatible on several devices and I still don't know the reason.

The app is 54MB big and I use UnityAds and Everyplay.

I know the following devices get an incompatible message in the Google Play Store:

• Galaxy Tab 3,
    • Nexus 7 Tablet
    • Alcatel one touch 995
    • Weko Lenny
    And I'm afraid there are many more.

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I mean't the old limit... :D nvm.
    A NEXUS TABLET gets blocked?!

If you can give me a link to your app, I will see if I get the same message on my tablet. (It's a chinese Pendo Pad 4.0)

15. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

Yesterday night I found the reason and fixed it. (I hope my tester told me the truth)

The problem was the Androidmanifest file of Everyplay.

Everyplay has this settings:

<uses-permissionandroid:name="android.permission.CAMERA"/>
    <uses-featureandroid:name="android.hardware.camera"/>
    <uses-featureandroid:name="android.hardware.camera.autofocus"/>

And I changed it to this:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera" android:required="false" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.camera.autofocus" android:required="false"/>

16. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

@FuzzQuills I tried to send you a link to the app in a private conversation, but I get always an error message that I would try to send spam, even if i remove the link and only write the name of the app. Strange ...

17. maxtyt

maxtyt

I started getting same feedback after releasing v.1.2.1 on October 23d. Changed not much in game but I'm afraid it could be because APK exceeded 54 MB (prev version 53 MB probably was OK).

These devices cannot download my game so far:
    Samsung Galaxy Core 2 Duos
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Alcatel idol+
    Nokia X2 Dual Sim
    Lenovo A536
    Explay Hit

Using Unity 4.5, SDK Android 2.3, bundle id: com.mtmstudio.rrdrift

Update
    New update fixed issue. I turned on "mesh optimization" so APK is now 52 MB.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  18. Ill-Fish

Ill-Fish

App limits are 50MB (below Android 4.0) and 100MB (Android 4.0 an up).

First I thought also that my problem is the app size, but it was a Manfest problem. If hardware is requested as needed and the device can't handle this.

19. Plus5Games

Plus5Games

Using Unity 5.3.1p1, testing was successful on:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Motorola Moto X

All with Android 5.0 or higher.

We are having troubles currently with Nexus 5, S3 and LG Optimus L7. Has anyone else had any issues with these devices?

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

First, which android versions, and second, what are the issues? ;) I wouldn't mind helping a bit where I can.

(Well, not beyond basic or intermediate troubleshooting, as I don't have any of those devices!)

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Sorry to be very late (I would have gotten a notification, only... you missed the 'y' in my nickname. ;)) but are you able to send the link now? If not... what's the name of the game? I can try searching the store for it.

Of course, if the issues gone, then cool. :)

EDIT: On second thought, I think my memory's failing me... :D I do remember getting a link to an app in my inbox a while ago, would have to check.

22. Plus5Games

Plus5Games

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

24. Luffyhead12

Luffyhead12

Hey guys and girls, just came across this while I was looking for a fix to my problem, but I can help here too I guess.
    I have recently started making a game called " Bounce Around " , it's quite a simple game and not much to it really, its my first game I've made and have tested on the following android devices.

Network: Mixed.
    Devices;
    Sony Xperia E1 (Tesco Mobile IE and Meteor IE)
    Sony Xperia M4 Aqua (Vodafone IE)
    Samsung GT I550 (Tesco Mobile IE)
    Samsung Galaxy Y (O2 (3 IE) )
    Samsung Galaxy Note (N/a)
    Lenovo Yoga Tab ( Unsure which one, but I will update this post. ) (N/a)

There you go guys, a few things you can work with.

THIS ERROR IS KILLING ME AND ITS ALL I NEED TO FIX. PLEASE HELP.

I have a small problem on the Xperia E1 and Samsung GT I550. I have a gameobject ( Player ) and on this object I have added a Point Light. ( Component ) this light doesn't render on these devices, but on all others it does. I have the render mode set to Important. Any help I'd greatly appreciate, thanks everyone for the info on the devices, hope I helped.

25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Which rendering path, and what are your quality settings? Both of these impact lights.

26. grell72

grell72

Does the latest unity version support Android 2.3? anyone know that?

27. apkpure

apkpure

Thanks man

28. SkyTech6

SkyTech6

This thread could really use a renewal. Either have the OP updated, or Unity to start a new pinned thread with updated information.

29. Dynamoid-Megan

Dynamoid-Megan

I use Motorola Droid Turbo for my Android development, apps run great on it. I used to have a Droid Maxx and everything worked great on that one too.

30. Micz84

Micz84

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo (Android 6.0.1) works ok with Unity 5.4.bea19 I have just one issue when i use Input.location.start() app crashes. How can I fix that?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  31. SkyTech6

SkyTech6

Report it as a bug and not use it.

32. juanasteves

juanasteves

I am using HTC EVO. I like the device and It works very well.

33. appsted

appsted

I am using galaxy s2 and it is good for unity android.

34. Scatabrain

Scatabrain

+1 on the op needing an update.
    Cheers.

35. Dakwamine

Dakwamine

Indeed I have a Moto E 1st gen and it works well with Unity. :p It doesn't have some basic features such as front camera and auto focus (fixed focus are the worst) and could be a little slow on heavy games. But it was really cheap, in the hundred euros, and the battery life ranges from 2 days to 5 days thanks to its small CPU. :D Too bad the RAM is only 1 GB and the internal space 4 GB. With the Android 5 update and its app optimization feature, the free storage space shrinked so that there is not much space left for installed apps...

That aside, maybe it's time to start a new thread as the OP's last login was in 2013. I will do a pass later on this thread to be in sync with the last reports if you don't mind.

36. Dakwamine

Dakwamine

37. BakeMyCake

BakeMyCake

I have a testing Samsung Galaxy Core 2 (model id SM-G355H).
    Unity works fine for the most part, the only problem I've come across is that even the mobile shaders that come with Unity render dynamic shadows with distinct artefacts. Other than that everything seems to be working fine.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

What kind of artifacts? Too much shadow acne? Weird depth testing?
    Not that I use Unity's shadows for mobile these days anyway, the quality isn't good enough for my taste. (I made my own shadow mapper for my current project)

39. larku

larku

I'm always interested in shadow techniques - any chance of sharing what/how you do it? (new thread maybe?)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  40. BakeMyCake

BakeMyCake

Here is a quick example I threw together to demonstrate. Perhaps this falls under the category of weird depth testing, but I'm not sure because I never investigated it. The shadow of the bottom face of the object is not mapped on the floor surface presumably because the bottom face is at an inconvenient angle relative to the direction of the light source. The shader used is mobile bumped specular with 1 directional light.
    Screenshot_2017-09-14-09-59-13[1].png
    I'm not planning on using dynamic shadows for my current mobile project, so it's not really a problem for me, but if I were interested in that sort of stuff it would be quite a bummer.