Search Unity

Android Studio on Mac OS - Accessing SDK through "Android Studio.app"

Discussion in 'Android' started by alexandre-fiset, Jun 18, 2013.

1. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Hi,

I recently installed Android Studio and wanted to test some accelerometer-related stuff using my old Nexus S.

The problem is that Unity doesn't find the SDK and if I manually try to assign the directory, it is not accessible. In fact, the sdk folder is *inside* the Android Studio.app and can't be accessed through Mac OS file manager (greyed out as seen on the image below).

$Capture d’écran 2013-06-18 à 17.28.24.png

$Capture d’écran 2013-06-18 à 17.29.28.png

Is there any way to fix that or do I have to install the SDK twice on my mac?

**EDIT 1**
    It doesn't work on Windows either. Unity doesn't recognize the sdk folder.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. sfoust

sfoust

3. HashCode

HashCode

You can use the sdk inside Android Studio by create a simple link to the sdk in Android studio and setup Unity3d use sdk through the simple link:eek:

4. Marcelo Colombo

Marcelo Colombo

Open the Terminal program, this is the only command line you will need

sudo ln -s /Applications/Android\ Studio.app/sdk /Applications/AndroidSDK

This will create a symbolic link in Applications called “AndroidSDK” (you can change this to be whatever you want) that actually links to the SDK that’s within the Android Studio application.

Now in Unity in the Preferences under the main Unity menu you will find the option to browse to the Android SDK in External tools. Browse to the newly created link and select it as your Android SDK and now you’re ready to publish to Android from the Mac using only the new Android Studio IDE.

Source: http://darkmobius.com/2014/01/17/unity-and-android-studio-on-a-mac/

mitchell-massey likes this.
  5. banzai777

banzai777

None of the sol
    This symbolic links are not selectable in the Unity browse dialog. Is there a fix for this?

6. nygren

nygren

You could try to use the "Go to folder" functionality in the browse dialog that Unity opens. Default shortcut is Command+Shift+G.

There you can enter the path to the SDK, which at time of writing is /Users/<user>/Library/Android/sdk/ Of course, replace <user> with your OS X username.

The "Go to folder" dialog has rudimentary Tab-completion which could help you getting the path written correctly. You can also drag a file or folder into the "Go to folder" dialog from a Finder window to get the path.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  7. goat

goat

In Windows the default is to install the SDK elsewhere from the folder structure containing Android Studio because it is updated so often. I would remove your Android Studio installation and configure the SDK to be in something like <Home>/Documents/Design/Android/SDK

or something destination like that.

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

@nygren 's solution is a good one. The <cmd> + <shift> + g does bring up the "Go to folder"... all you need to add here is ~Library and then continue surfing, if you don't want to type in the entire path. The tilde (~) means "user root".

jurisdoctor likes this.
  9. firez2469

firez2469

My android studios files don't have SDK folder