Search Unity

Android Resolution Performance

Discussion in '2D' started by inthemilkywat, May 23, 2016.

1. inthemilkywat

inthemilkywat

I'm currently developing a platformer game for android and having some performance issues. Running the game at native resolution causes the fps to drop from 60 to around 40 after a minute. I checked the profiler and seems to be a rendering issue. I tried changing the shaders on my sprites but it still did not help with the fps drop. After this, I changed my resolution to 1280x720 and now my game runs perfectly at 60 fps. Is it okay to downscale the resolution like this for performance or should I try to fix the fps problem at native resolution?

2. crispybeans

crispybeans

It's good as long as the game is fun and the players are happy.

It's all part of the process of optimizing a game to run at a decent speed on mobile which can be difficult, you might want to run it downscaled on some phones and not downscaled on others depending on the performance of the device.

It's generally a good practice to fix problems on both the CPU and GPU causing a bad frame rate but how much work you do depends on the project and the type of gameplay, graphics and pace of the game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. inthemilkywat

inthemilkywat

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to stick with the downscaled resolution for now.