Search Unity

Android pro license mixing ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mostafa_berg, Jan 6, 2015.

1. mostafa_berg

mostafa_berg

Hey everyone,

We have two unity pro licenses at work that me and my colleague use, I was wondering if mixing licenses is allowed with Android pro ? (Since we already are using unity pro), meaning just buying one Android pro license for building on one machine instead of buying two.

is that possible ? or does Android/iOS Pro licenses need to be purchased for each dev ?

thanks !

2. ludiares

ludiares

One license for dev. As stated in the EULA, you can't use Unity Indie and Unity Pro on the same project

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But that's not what's being discussed. Both devs already have Pro. The question is about whether add-on licenses have to be purchased for a whole team or just the developers actually working on those platforms.

4. smd863

smd863

It's the third big heading in the EULA:

5. MikeCurrington

MikeCurrington

Does this still stand with Unity 5 ? That clause allowing for Pro add-ons for one platform and Free on another seems to be missing from the newest EULA.

6. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

An Android Pro licence is required for every Unity developer involved with an Android project. Developers who exclusively develop for PC do not need an Android licence. However, this means they are not allowed to publish / build to Android at all, even if it would be technically possible with the PE Android export.

[sorry, misread the question]
    It seems indeed missing from the updated EULA. I don't think the rules have changed here, but a clarification from UT side would be necessary.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

"You May Not Use Unity Personal with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products

You may not combine or integrate Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Personal simultaneously with any Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products. Licensee Content developed with Unity Personal will be tagged with an identifier that is used to enforce this restriction.
    "

And in the Restrictions section of the EULA;

" (a) if you are a permitted user of Unity Personal, you may commence a project using only Unity Personal and subsequently upgrade all (but not less than all) of your licenses to Unity Pro and the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Products,"

8. Ayrik

Ayrik

What if you are using Unity Pro alongside other team members using a Pro Add-on, but you don't have the Pro Add-On yourself?

9. Aurore

Aurore

10. Metron

Metron

Ok... just to make this clear because some moderators have stated otherwise than you, Aurore:

If in my team only 1 is actively working on the Android distribution of a game using Android Pro, all other team members need Android Pro also, even though they are not creating any Android distributable?

11. Aurore

Aurore

[misinformation]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but what does "mix" mean?

Eg: If a team of 3 makes a game for PC in Pro and, later, one of the team decides to also put it on iOS or Android, does that mean the whole team has to upgrade to a mobile Pro license?

What if the same game is being made but one team member is putting it on mobile before it's released (ie: during the initial development)?

Under what circumstances, if any, do people doing platform-agnostic stuff need to buy mobile platform licenses?

I am pretty darn sure I've seen mods here state that only people working on mobile platforms need mobile platform licenses, but the above two posts seem to imply otherwise. It's not an imminent concern to me at the moment (when it is I'll ask the sales team), but I still think it'd be useful to have a definite answer.

13. Aurore

Aurore

[I was wrong]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ok, I think I understand the spirit of the terms, then, and am happy enough with them.

They still seem pretty nebulous from a purely legal standpoint, though. Questions:

1. In the example you've given, lets suppose that Jim decides to make an iOS deployment after you and Malcom have left the project. What are the license obligations, and how are they different to if the same thing had been done before the team split up?

2. In the example you've given, lets suppose the game being made is not an iOS game at all and is not ever built for iOS. What are the licensing requirements? Are you and Malcolm required to buy iOS Pro add ons purely because you're working with Jim, even though it's got nothing to do with the project? Ie: Does Jim having an iOS Pro license "infect" the project with requiring that license, even though it's not a target platform?

3. What about people selling stuff on the Asset Store? Lets suppose someone has a Pro license with no Pro addons, and someone asks for product support on a mobile-oriented platform. There's the distinct possibility that someone could be unable to provide support without purchasing an addon Pro license, where if they'd not purchased the normal Pro license in the first place they'd be able to do it for free. So, buying desktop Pro can actually restrict what you're allowed to do...

4. None of that is considering the difference between a "team member" and an "contractor"...

Please don't think I'm having a whinge. I'm not. I just use Unity a heck of a lot for a variety of different things, and would like to properly understand my obligations in doing so. For what it's worth, this would all be far easier if it were considered based on projects rather than teams. (Imagine in a company: Manager A:"No, we can't assign Jim to project X without buying the other 5 team members iOS licenses." Manager B: "Why on earth not? It's a web project!" Manager A: "Because Jim previously worked on an iOS project, and we can't mix licenses...")

Gigiwoo, Metron and Ryiah like this.
  15. Aurore

Aurore

Right so, I was wrong SORRY!!

I got this with regards to mobile add-ons...

"only employees those using the add-ons need to purchase the add-on"

With regards to Asset Store ( this also covers contractors)

"Can third party content (such as user generated content, game mods, and Asset Store packages) developed in Unity Personal Edition be used to develop a game in Unity Professional Edition, and vice versa?

Yes, you are free to license content from a third party for use in the development of your game, irrespective of which version of Unity that content was originally created in."

This is in our Unity FAQ http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Ayrik, angrypenguin and Gigiwoo like this.
  16. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Hugs!
    Gigi

Aurore likes this.
  17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sweet.

For what it's worth, I suggest adding a license section to the FAQ which covers this stuff. Again, not having a whinge, and I'd have contacted sales to ask directly as soon as it mattered to me, but since there's so much confusion even amongst staff it'd be nice if there was an official, published answer everyone could point to.

Another gnarly question, though: where does Unity draw the line between 1st party (dev team members/employees) and 3rd party (contractors)?

Use case: I buy Pro + iOS. A friend wants to make a level for my game, they haven't got a Pro license. Under what circumstances is that "mixing licenses" and under what circumstances are they a 3rd party? (I'm not fussed either way, I'd just like to know in advance.)

Ostwind likes this.
  18. Aurore

Aurore

There is a lot in the FAQ about 3rd parties and such, but we are adding more information to it soon to cover the other questions.

For the 3rd party stuff, firstly we don't want to limit your options on who can hire as a contractor based on their license, seems unfair to you and to them. Additionally, it's for asset store developers and purchasers, since there are no different editor features anyone can purchase and use any asset, no point in limiting that. Lastly it also covers those who want to create modable (is that even a word) games, so there isn't an issue for your user base to create mods, it wouldn't make sense if you made your game in Pro and then we forced your users to also buy Pro to mod it, that would be mean.

angrypenguin likes this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sounds great. :D

By the same token, I don't think you should make it east for dodgy arrangements where teams can fudge people into "contractor" roles to avoid paying for licenses. It's awesome that you guys are making things flexible for us, but please look out for yourselves too!

Aurore likes this.
  20. Aurore

Aurore

They'd generally be a dodgy business too if they did that, they'd have bigger fish to fry.

angrypenguin and Gigiwoo like this.
  21. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

And we can always send people round to take a look, per the EULA.

22. Ayrik

Ayrik

Thanks for all the clarification!

23. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Visitors? I'll set out some cookies and milk. It'll be like Christmas! ;)
    Gigi

Ayrik likes this.
  24. Metron

Metron

Which, in Europe, is illegal...

25. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Best that EU users do not accept the license agreement, and delete the install, then.

26. Metron

Metron

Apparently I hit a sensible string. What I wanted to say is: Even if it's written in the EULA, it's not legal basis everywhere. So, saying "we can do this and that" by referring to the EULA is only valid, if you can make sure that you have a legal basis.

Nuff off topic...

27. Ostwind

Ostwind

If the agreement isn't valid from your side you cant accept it and if you do they have every right to cancel your license if you refer to some point and say it was not valid but you still went ahead and accepted it. If you have link to valid info that you can invalidate sections in agreements and still continue use legally then please share :) (I'm in EU too)

28. Metron

Metron

Replied via PM

29. mostafa_berg

mostafa_berg

Thanks for all the responses in this thread, pretty sure others will find that useful !

30. murielahick

murielahick

Yeah, for sure. I learn my lesson in this thread. thanks

31. OnAndOn

OnAndOn

[I hate to revive old threads to ask a question but I am confused after reading this. Please lock this thread if it's not appropriate to ask questions here.]

I haven't yet considered Android publishing ,but still asking just to clarify. I am a single developer and I have Unity Pro and iOS Pro add-on license (but no Android Pro). I've not crossed $100,000 revenue limit. However since I own Unity Pro if I ever want to publish on Android I must buy Android Pro add-on as well.

Is this understanding correct?

32. Ostwind

Ostwind

You don't need to buy it if you don't mind the Unity splash screen which is sadly the only thing pro version does (removes it) if you are under 100k

33. Aurore

Aurore

Correct, you can publish without having Pro.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  34. OnAndOn

OnAndOn

Thanks Ostwind and Aurore!