Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Obb Downloader

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AYFukushima, May 28, 2014.

1. AYFukushima

AYFukushima

Hi,

Don't, I was looking for a plugin to split my APK file, into an .Obb file, and I found this documentation:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-OBBsupport.html

But there is a link to an Asset (Google Downloader), that is missing now! There is something wrong? Is there an alternative to this plugin?

Thanks a lot!

2. drewradley

drewradley

In the player settings you can tell it to split it for you automatically. No need for a plug-in.

3. hanger

hanger

Actually, you do. And it's a pain to get working right.

The setting will split the apk for you. If the obb is present and in the correct location, it will work fine. If the obb is not there, then without the plugin, you app will crash. The obb is usually downloaded with the apk, but not all phones do that, and sometimes the obb can get deleted to make space. (See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...test-android-expansion-pack-files-obb-on-my-n for where to put an obb when testing.)

What the plugin does is check for the obb and download it if it's not there. Until the obb is in the correct place, any Resources.Load call will crash the app. You also cannot load any levels; only the first scene and objects directly referenced by the first scene can be used (even Resources.Load calls work with those).

4. AYFukushima

AYFukushima

Hi, thanks for the response!

Hi, I think I've explained my problem wrong...I was following this tutorials:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-OBBsupport.html
    and this
    http://www.exoa.fr/tutorial-unity-4-apk-splitting-google-play-obb/

And I was doing exactly this steps:

1. Downloaded the package made by Unity (link in both tutorials).
    2. Followed the tutorials steps. (from exoa website)
    3. Check the "Split Application Binary".
    4. Changed the .OBB file name to main.VersionNumber.Company.MyGame
    5. Uploaded the APK in Google Play.
    6. Added the Expansion File (.OBB) to the Application.
    7. Wait about 2 hours, and then open my application on Android
    8. Success! The download begins and eveyone was happy, included me!

But some Unity versions ago, it worked just fine, but.....since Unity recent versions (4.1 - 4.5) release, the Unity Plugin desapeared from Asset Store, and the package (stored in my PC) does not work anymore!

It still split the APK, but when and all, but sadly the step 8, does not happen anymore....it shows the message:
    "Download failed because the resources could not be found"

I have no idea how to resolve this...there is an alternative to the missing plugin (in Asset Store)?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long text...

5. Dusty-ED

Dusty-ED

Those were the steps to test as little as a month ago. Google recently changed this. You now need a published build to test obb downloading. You can do this with an alpha or beta build so that it isn't a live production build.

6. Legolax

Legolax

I had the same error "Download failed because the resources could not be found"
    I waste 2 days to find a solution, but finaly I found it, I just needed google play store to be installed on my device and ofcourse I had to be logged into google play account on my device. it allows devices to find obb file on server, without google play store on your device its impossible for android.

7. fivefeettallugly

fivefeettallugly

Meet the same issue and others as well (maybe because of my phone), so i chose to do it manually with a little help of apk downloader at apknite. work fine but it takes so much time!

8. StartStart

StartStart

@fivefeettallugly

If you upload to Google Play Console just upload .apk with less than 100mb.
    Then hit plus icon after upload finished and upload .obb files.