Search Unity

Android Game: Midnight Sports: Car Racing

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Stephen_O, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Midnight Sports: Car Racing
    Available on Google Play

This is a game I've been working on for the last few months.
    I'm very open to feedback, so let me know what you're thinking.
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Updates for the game are posted on my YouTube page : Link
    Download Link

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

New update.

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This is looking pretty impressive!

Almost reminds me of NFS Underground 2 on the GBA... :D EXCEPT THE OUT OF BOUNDS AREAS ARE EXPLORABLE! :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for checking it out:), the main feature I wanted to strive for was an open world environment. Now that I have one, I really need to focus on bringing it to life and merge it with better/more gameplay.

5. cl9-2

cl9-2

Nice work. Will you be adding AI cars or multiplayer?

Stephen_O likes this.
  6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks. I setup a multiplayer prototype scene using photon and have everything spawning and updating, I need to revisit it to smooth out the movement for the other player. I found it to be a little tricky; cars move properly at lower speeds, but once they start moving faster the position/rotation updates can be a little choppy. I will be adding AI cars to the city scene, I've been looking into AI solutions...which I'll probably start to try writing some type of framework sometime soon.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@TurnTheGameOn: I don't use photon myself, but for AI, you could have it running on the server machine, and have it update on the clients. plus, you will probably need a form of interpolation so the cars don't jump around.

Stephen_O likes this.
  8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Where I left off in the multiplayer build, I did realize interpolation was the next step to to fully smoothing out movement and pushing forward with multiplayer development in general. As far as the server machine, with photon, they have different options for developers to build with, I'm currently using PUN which doesn't use an authoritative server, but rather a cloud backend to sync data between players in rooms. It's pretty cool and very easy to setup, considering my experience with networked games is still limited. Once I get everything working in the cloud with PUN, I'll likely look more into actually having a server and start to think about networked AI, which I haven't thought about to be honest. My main multiplayer goal is to have all real players racing. Thanks for your comments, they made me realize it's time to shift back to working on multiplayer.

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@TurnTheGameOn: I manage some of this with UNITY networking! And using a peer's machine for AI is probably the best option for someone with my experience (Not very much... :D Enough to make Multi-player though!) making an MMO, or racer. and all real players racing... that would probably need an automatic way of doing match-making, kinda like mario kart.

EDIT: Just thought of your YouTube video, but with other players/cars in it... "When these online babies hit 88 miles an hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t!"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Photon is almost the same as unity networking, you call " photon. " before standard unity networking code. I agree, automatic matchmaking is is a must, I haven't attempted that yet.. from what I've gathered I don't think basic match-making should be too hard of a concept to implement, although I'm sure it can become more complex if player rankings are added to the equation. I don't think I can settle for a clunky multiplayer menu system, I want it to be as easy to play as possible.

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@TurnTheGameOn: And I still don't know how to do auto-match yet... :D And it could get more complex, depending on how you wish to implement it.

How I would do it, if I got time... :D
    • If servers detected are full, create one. if one of them have empty slots, join the server. after a 10 second time-out, (could be bigger to compensate for lag) server cuts off connection.
    • Once game is finished, auto-detect is done again. Or, the auto-detect could run again, if a player leaves.
    Just a thought! :)

12. cl9-2

cl9-2

Looking forward to the updates. I think another possibility is a headless Linux or Windows instance of the game running on a VPS.

Do the vehicles have brake lights and head lights?