Search Unity

[iOS][ANDROID][WIN8][FREE] EMPIRE UNDER FIRE - The Most Beautiful 3D Tower Defense

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by milox777, Sep 26, 2014.

1. milox777

milox777

Hi There!
    I'm very excited to present my new game. Empire Under Fire. I have been developing this game for several months, now it is finally ready to publish.
    Its a classic Tower Defense with beautiful graphics (I think so :) ) and great gameplay.

I think it is definitely worth trying. Moreover this game is TOTALY FREE. NO HIDDEN IN APP PURCHASES, NO ADS.

It is highly recommended to run this game on mid/high-end devices, with dual/quad core cpu.
    Game uses about 400-500MB of RAM so your phone should have 1GB of RAM (at least ~780MB).

Feel free to share with me your thoughts about this game, any bugs, performance issues, etc...
    I would love to discuss with you about my game. :angel:

Also please consider giving me a rating on Google Play store if you liked my game :)

DOWNLOAD

Windows 8:
    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/empire-under-fire/e66d076c-133d-4095-83fd-7e8e1748bf43

Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lephco.empireunderfire

iOS
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/empire-under-fire/id912945408?mt=8

SCREENSHOTS

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. Zeblote

Zeblote

Link only goes to this:

3. milox777

milox777

Due to bug which affected many devices I decided to unpublish my game for a while. It should be available tomorrow. I'll let you know.

4. milox777

milox777

Game has been published again.
    In case of any errors don't hesitate to contact me.

5. bbQsauce

bbQsauce

Wow! Did you make all the graphics by yourself ? I'm impressed.
    Anyway, i don't know how google play filters work, but i think you should limit the game to powerful devices or people will downvote it.

6. Zeblote

Zeblote

Wow, this is awesome! The first level was great fun, even though I barely did it. Especially that giant troll (or whatever it was) in the third last wave... I ended up repeadly stopping it with the power that spawns a warrior, so the cannons had enough time to keep shooting it (heh... tower defense battle stories...)

Graphics are amazing, in fact this is the best looking mobile tower defense I played so far. (feel free to prove me wrong on this one if it matters) There was no stuttering, no freezes, and it didn't crash either.

Though the camera controls made the game almost unplayable. I only have a nexus 5, so maybe there isn't such a problem with tablets, but it moves way too fast! If I only move my finger a couple millimeters on the screen it already swipes across the whole battlefield. Took some time to get used to this. Maybe create an options menu and add a sensitivity slider?

I'd also like to zoom out further, being able to see the whole battlefield is important in tower defenses! This way I was moving the camera all over the place without pausing to make sure noone was getting through somewhere. For example I almost lost the first game due to a wave starting at the bottom left without me noticing it (I was focusing on the top area and couldn't see the lower start)

milox777 likes this.
  7. milox777

milox777

Thanks :) I've bought a lot of assets from unity assets store and other 3d models stores. It is hard to limit the game only for powerful devices, because I would have to limit access for each device individually.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  8. milox777

milox777

Hmm... It seems that camera movement speed depends on screen dpi. Thanks for information!
    I'll work on this issue.

9. milox777

milox777

Zooming out further would kill performance. So it's not an easy decision to allow player to zoom out more.

10. jtok4j

jtok4j

Wow, what nice looking graphics. I was skeptical at first about the title's claims, but it's for real!

Also, thanks SOOO much for making a truly free game, where there's no Ads and No #*DNS awful in-game purchases!

Wish you much success! :D

milox777 likes this.
  11. milox777

milox777

Thanks a lot! :)

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

If this is MOBILE graphics, well done!

And completely free... I am actually tempted to download and play now! But first...

Tablet specs:
    • Model: Pendo Pad PP4MT-7
    • CPU: Allwinner A10
    • GFX: ARM Mali 400-MP (Got this with a unity game... :p)
    • RAM: 1GB
    • Android Version: 4.0.3
    This beefy enough? :D

13. Zeblote

Zeblote

Why don't you try it out ...?

14. milox777

milox777

Try it and let me know :)

It should run around ~20fps. Game will automatically decrease textures resolution so you should have enough ram.

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: Cool, will do soon! :) And honestly, i can handle 30fps... :D Some of these crackers round here complain when it's 60! (120Hz, ye know... ;))

EDIT: Hang on, what do you use for shadows? if is very-high-res shadow map, then this one's out... :D

EDIT2: Ok, downloading now... when I get time, will try and give feedback!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  16. milox777

milox777

I'm using baked lightmaps instead of real time shadows, nothing else. I'm going to implement blob shadow someday for dynamic objects (like characters etc..).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  17. Immi

Immi

Good game and graphics is very nice

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: I did realise one thing: I can't run this. not because of borked hardware either... it's becuase the internal memory's only got 300MB left, and I am pretty sure my SD card's nearing full too. (And that's because of all the ROMs I tried to CWM a while back... :p)

19. milox777

milox777

Thanks a lot!

Please consider leaving a review on Google play store and sharing it on Google plus ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  20. milox777

milox777

I know that feeling :p

Game shouldn't take more than 500-700mb on your external memory.

21. milox777

milox777

Have you managed to install and play my game?

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: Since I am back at school now, probably not for a while... :D
    And do Unity games work on Android x86? I can try it through this, if not on my tablet, if it works. (It would probably run better as well! :)) And yes, the real issue here is that at my house, wifi is banned, so I don't usually have the opportunity to get the tablet connected in any way most of the time. o_O

23. milox777

milox777

24. Savvon

Savvon

Played it on my ipad air.

This is exciting for me. I just started learning Unity (at 44 years old) and you sir, inspire me. I have an idea for a tower defense game that is different than yours, but many ideas cross.

I just need the experience in making games. Maybe I can help you make some levels in return you can teach me how to make a tower defense game? :p Or if you put your game up on the asset store for us to edit, I would definitely buy it!

Anyways, my review as a player.

The Good:
    Your game has great potential! Great graphics and runs very smooth. I love the core mechanic and the different approach you took with the tower defense genre. This can be a game changer with a few correct executive decisions.

You make the towers more personable. I feel like I lose actual warriors instead of just unit counts. Your game idea has endless possibilities.

The Bad:
    A simple touch on the ipad air flings me in that direction very fast. Though very playable, to slow this action down would be perfect. I did get use to it though.

I lose my bearings very easily due to map design. I suggest incorporating some sort of mini-map that tracks your enemies since you seem to hold a steady ground on not being able to zoom out. I lose track of enemies very easily.

Maybe the first map could be a single path to get us familiar with your game?

It makes my ipad run very hot and drains the battery. This is to be expected though.

The Ugly:
    I would make this for the PC/Mac. Your vision is too big for the portable market. I would play the crap out of this on my desktop. Zooming out would not be an issue and you would have more screen real estate to play with. Plus mouse and keyboard support would be amazing!

Think Tank for Fun:
    One thing I thought about was crossing genre's with your game. TDRPG. Instead of leveling up your towers with gold, the actual (named) units would level up themselves and gain random abilities. For example: One archer would shoot faster while another hit harder. Things of this nature.

I wish you the best of luck. This game and your vision has no bounds.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    milox777 likes this.
  25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Savvon: This is the best feedback I have seen someone post ever! :)

Savvon likes this.
  26. milox777

milox777

Thanks a lot for your kind words!
    About too fast movement - Have you tried adjusting it using slider in pause menu?

About mini map - android version already contains a map view.
    It looks like this:

iOS version is waiting for review (it can take about 10-11 days for apple to review my game)

About PC/Mac version - Acctually I'm currently working on version for Windows 8, with even better graphics and post-processing effects (I mean really awesome visuals!!). Later I may consider making a version for Mac and Windows Phone 8.

About your suggestions - I must say, these are great ideas, but they would require a lot of work to put in. I'll think about it. Thanks again :)

Now, I'm thinking about adding blood effects and physics to enemies after death. I could make it possible for example to cut/break an enemy in half and add rigidbody to them, so they would fly all over the battlefield. What do you think about it? Is it worth adding to my game?

Awesome feedback!
    About making unity games - I recommend you to learn a lot about objective programming and C#, depending on how much complicated game you want to make be aware that it may take you several months to finish it.

27. milox777

milox777

I totally agree!

28. Savvon

Savvon

I think that is a great idea. I was also going to mention with the last enemy and/or special enemies on kill have the camera zoom in and do a '300 style' cinematic when they get killed. Like a Shadow of Mordor kill.

I have an ipad, 4 PC's and a Windows phone. Let me know when I can help.

As far as your suggestion goes, my time limits me to build a game upon assets only. I am a homeschooling father, husband and run many free educational programs for low income households. My own time to learn back end stuff is very limited.

When you are ready to make another game, let me know. I have a perfect TDRPG idea for you.

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: not a fan of blood fx, but having enemies turn into rag-dolls (Do you do this already?) could be made for the most hilarious battle ever on earth... :D DRAGONS WILL BE FLYIN' EVERYWHERE!

@Savvon: Whats this idea? I'm curious! :)

30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Also, how about us Win7 users? o_O (Well, I also use Windows 10 Tech Preview, but it would probably need .NET 3.5 again... :D)

31. milox777

milox777

I can make an option to turn off blood effects.

Ok, I'll start working on adding physics to enemies asap.

It would be hard to distribute my game on Windows 7 as there is no app store. The only option is to publish my game on Steam, but first I would need to get greenlight. That's not an easy task. I'll try this in the future though.

32. milox777

milox777

I've added cinematic kills to my to do list.
    Thanks for offering help :)
    Btw, if you'll need some help or you encounter any issues/problems while developing in unity don't hesitate to contact me. I had a lot of them so I've learned a lot.

Savvon likes this.
  33. Zeblote

Zeblote

Don't make a crappy windows 8 app. Just a normal window program that runs everywhere... like every other PC game...

34. milox777

milox777

It is possible to publish normal desktop game on Windows 8 app store.
    Anyway I can do both.

35. Zeblote

Zeblote

Yes, but then you still need windows 8 to get it.

36. milox777

milox777

Windows 7 doesn't have any app store. I would need to make a website, buy a server and distribute my game via this website. It requires a lot of work and it couldn't get much attention. Also if I'd like to make my game paid I would need add some licensing stuff to my game which is awful thing to do.

What would you say for publishing my game on Steam?

37. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well, if you require windows 8 to download it then everyone on windows 7 will have no other way than pirate your game.

38. milox777

milox777

Ok, I'll try to figure something out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  39. Savvon

Savvon

@milox88

I have a publishing suggestion.

Why not make an Empire Under Fire Ultimate Edition and charge a buck on the app store?

Add some new effects, bosses, units, new maps, ect...

This way, you will have a free and paid version.

While you do this, you could try to get greenlit on STEAM.

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: well, since this game is free, you could just use a mediafire, google drive, or dropbox link to host the Win7 version of the game. (I find google drive the fastest, IMO) And then, maybe, you could put the link in the google play store entry for those with both tablet and PC. (I'm one of those creatures... :D)

41. milox777

milox777

Someday I'm going the make my game paid. It will cost about 1-2$. I've paid a lot for assets which I used and spent a lot of time on it.
    Moreover, dropbox and other file hosting service providers may block links to may game in case of many downloads from their servers.

42. funke

funke

I have downloaded and played the first level. I've handled it but I think it is too much for a new player.
    Are summoned soldiers immortal?:p

Overall looks nice.

43. Neffy

Neffy

Downloading right now. This is so cool! Good job man!

44. milox777

milox777

Yes, soldiers on towers are immortal. Guards summoned with super power aren't. Also they will flee from the battlefield after short time (about 15 seconds).

45. milox777

milox777

Thanks!

When you try my game please share with me your opinion about it :)

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@milox88: Well, I know google drive doesn't: My IndieEffects package has been downloaded how many times... and it hasn't been blocked once. So, I would go with drive. (Or mediafire, it doesn't block either)

47. milox777

milox777

New update was released yesterday for android.
    Introducing blood effects and physics effects.

Are any android users here? What do you think about the newest update?

48. Zeblote

Zeblote

They're way over the top, why does killing someone with a sword result in a giant gory explosion like someone just hit a cow with a rocket launcher?

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Could be a nuclear sword of some kind... :D

milox777 likes this.
  50. milox777

milox777

Do you prefer more realistic effects? I wanted to make it a little bit grotesque.