Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Black Screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by Ogien, Nov 25, 2013.

1. zuizuimei

zuizuimei

After i update unity3d to 4.6.1p4, the problem"WIN DEATH" crash bug" still occur. the device is Fire HDX 8.9 (4th Gen), the same log as you.
    OS version Fire OS 4—based on Android 4.4.2, API level 19
    RAM 2048 MB
    CPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 quad-core Krait (MSM8084), 2.5 GHz
    GPU Qualcomm Adreno 420, 600 MHz

Is there any setting can solve this problem? like some users do:
    disable Static Batching
    disable Dynamic Batching
    disable Multithreaded Rendering.
    disable Use 32-bit Display buffer

Attached Files:

2. Wajdi-azar

Wajdi-azar

I had this problem and fix it by reducing the atlas max size to 2048, if you have any sprite in the size of 4096 you will get the black or blue screen.

3. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

I have the same problems, default new scene with a default camera, Unity3d 4.6.1f1. Trying to get this running on an HTC MyTouch 4g Android (2.3.4) phone. See the attached file for my player settings. I've tried all sorts of different settings and all of of them give me a black screen with the application name at the top, I never see the Unity3D loading logo. 32 or 24 bit display buffers enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. vakabaka

vakabaka

just try new version of unity 4.6.2
    http://unity3d.com/unity/download

5. mcmorry

mcmorry

6. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

Before posting I used the help menu to check for updates, it said there was none. The update fixed this problem. Thanks all.

7. imandic

imandic

Everything working fine after updating to 4.6.2p2 on my Nexus7 and Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0...No more WIN DEATH errors...

8. mechangel

mechangel

I am having this problem - Menus work fine but the 3D portion of my app is a black screen with music playing on the Galaxy running 4.1 Jellybean that I tested it on. It works on all new phones.
    I was building in GL ES 2.0 with no multithreaded rendering. I am using 4.6.3f1 min api level is set to min 11 (Honeycomb) with 32 bit buffer enabled.

Edit: I compressed all textures in the project to 512, that didn't help either.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. SmartyP

SmartyP

Just wanted to chime in here that I have 2 Android beta testers for my new game that are getting a black screen only followed by an exit. They are both on Android 4.4.2 - one is a Droid Razor M, the other is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The Droid Razor M crash is a close buddy of mine, so I sent him a few different builds using the latest Unity release 4.6.3f1. The first version was just using this latest Unity release (it crashed just the same). The second version was a non-dev build (it crashed as well). The third version set 'Force Open GL ES 2.0' instead of using automatic selection - and that worked for him. I am waiting on confirmation if it fixes the issue on the S4.

I'm concerned if I use 'Force Open GL 2.0' if it's going to break things for other folks..?

For what it's worth, my game is very heavy in use of the new 2D/UI features, and doesn't include any 3rd party integrations yet as I haven't gotten to that point just yet. I probably won't be releasing on Android until I have a bit more confidence this is all resolved :/

10. mcmorry

mcmorry

We did many tests on many devices and we also force Open GL to 2.0.
    Long time ago we had some performance issues because of the automatic selection. Once forced to 2.0 everything started to work smoothly. Very few devices support 3.0 properly (on S4 it doesn't work well) but, for what I can see, all these devices work well with 2.0.

11. LordXaosa

LordXaosa

Tried Unity 5.0.0f4 on Meizu MX4 PRO, no luck, just black screen... All advices from this thread doesn't help :(
    I tried empty projects 3D and 2D, all the same...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  12. ayyappa

ayyappa

I have this issue when i display a dialog on top of unity and resume from background. Once i close the dialog the black screen goes away.
    Only reason i found till now is Unity view is not rendering on resume when ever a dialog is on top(even its not fullscreen!). When ever i get a black screen this logs shows up.

layers: (2:25) (FocusedStackFrame (0xb7f67118): 0:631)* (DimLayer (0xb7f696f8): 0:360)* (DimLayer (0xb7f467c8): 0:27)* (DimLayer (0xb7f49120): 0:741)* (DimLayer (0xb7f4b988): 0:113)* (StatusBar (0xb7ec5da0): 1:15958)* (com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper (0xb7f3e0c0): 1:1136)* (NavigationBar (0xb7f6ddb0): 1:1004)* (com.company.app/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity (0xb7f08618): 0:182)- (SurfaceView (0xb7f00420): 0:621)- (com.android.systemui/com.android.systemui.recents.RecentsActivity (0xb7f2e5d8): 0:32)- (ScreenshotSurface (0xb7f05370): 0:26)- (com.android.systemui/com.android.systemui.recents.RecentsActivity (0xb7f2e5d8): 0:65)- (BlackSurface (0xb7ec3c40): 0:26)- (BlackSurface (0xb7f07088): 0:26)- (BlackSurface (0xb7f08618): 0:26)- (BlackSurface (0xb7f762f8): 0:26)- (ScreenshotSurface (0xb7f6f390): 1:4) (com.company.app/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity (0xb7ec3c40): 1:6) (SurfaceView (0xb7f00420): 1:3)*

This happens randomly . Anything i can do to force drawing of the Unity view when its behind a dialog forcefully?
    This happens right from 4.6 - 5.0 unity versions and i'm on lollipop android.

13. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

I just ported my first iOS game to Droid, and i get this also after coming back from interstitial ad. black screen...stuck. Nexus7 4.4.2 Sony Experia 4.4.2 it will sometimes come back after a while... 4.6.2 Android, forced ogl2.0 , not forced 24 or 32 bit buffers.
    Just added some, GC, unloading unused assets, and reduced a bunch of textures... that didn't help. Works fine on other devices, and iOS

14. BDev1

BDev1

Was this bug really fixed?
    I'm getting black screen followed by Application Not Responding (ANR) errors on following Android devices:
    1) Samsung Galaxy ACE 2, Android version 2.3.6
    2) Samsung Galaxy S2, Android version 2.3.3
    3) Samsung Galaxy S1 Plus, Android version 2.3.6

Unity version 5.0.1f1 (actually newest available for Win).

Looks llike there is some problem with low memory, because first launch of app usually is correct and after closing and quickly starting again app the problem occur. Clearing memory and opened apps with app manager on device causes next app start to be correct. Also running some memory consuming app than starting my app causes problem.

15. lst

lst

Confirm. We have same black-screen Android problem on Samsung Galaxy S2, Android version 4.0.3, Unity 4.6.1f1

16. ValkaVales

ValkaVales

"Tried Unity 5.0.0f4 on Meizu MX4 PRO, no luck, just black screen... All advices from this thread doesn't help :(
    I tried empty projects 3D and 2D, all the same..."
    - I have the same problem. Please help!

17. arkon

arkon

Ok just got some intel, Unity Android is not working on these 2 devices: ASUS tablets: K010(TF103C/MG103/TF0310CTF103CX) & K013(ME176C/ME176CX)

18. dred236

dred236

"Tried Unity 5.0.1p1 on Meizu MX4 PRO, no luck, just black screen... All advices from this thread doesn't help :(
    I tried empty projects 3D and 2D, all the same..."
    - I have the same problem. Please help!

19. spotavi

spotavi

Seems like we are back with the issue :( . Using Unity 5 and following devices show crashes ( WIN DEATH )

• Motorola G ( 2014 )
    • ZTE blade and few other devices
    Anyone tried Unity 5.1 ?

20. LordXaosa

LordXaosa

Same thing with 5.1...

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

I am running 5.1.0f3 Pro and I can't get my game to work on AndroidTV. Seems to lock up on the Splash Screen for the AndroidTV Review Team... What a nightmare, game works on everything I throw at it.. Every AVD I can throw at it, tablets and phone... Just seems to not want to run on the googles AndroidTV review teams systems..

I tried seemingly everything except just a blank project... 32bit buffers disabled, GL 2.0, 3.0, auto... , AA on AA off.. I am courious about the single scene issue..

I will try to upload a starting scene that loads the first scene and see what progress that is.. but I am really going bonkers here trying to get my game approved on the AndroidTV's... ahhh

here is my manifest...

Code (CSharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    2. <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" android:versionCode="20" android:versionName="0.7.48" package="com.skyboardstudios.annex" android:installLocation="auto">
    3.   <supports-screens android:anyDensity="true" android:largeScreens="true" android:normalScreens="true" android:smallScreens="true" android:xlargeScreens="true" />
    4.   <supports-gl-texture android:name="GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture" />
    5.   <application android:largeHeap="true" android:icon="@drawable/app_icon" android:label="@string/app_name" android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen" android:debuggable="false" android:isGame="true" android:banner="@drawable/banner">
    6.     <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity" android:screenOrientation="nosensor" android:launchMode="singleTask" android:configChanges="mcc|mnc|locale|touchscreen|keyboard|keyboardHidden|navigation|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|fontScale">
    7.       <intent-filter>
    8.         <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
    9.         <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
    10.         <category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />
    11.       </intent-filter>
    12.       <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.UnityActivity" android:value="true" />
    13.     </activity>
    14.   </application>
    15.   <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14" android:targetSdkVersion="21" />
    16.   <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000" android:required="true"/>
    17.   <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    18.   <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.screen.portrait" android:required="false" />
    19.   <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.sensor.accelerometer" android:required="false" />
    20.   <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen" android:required="false" />
    21.   <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" android:required="false" />
    22.   <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" android:required="false" />
    23. </manifest>
    This is my last manifest.. About to try it with the added GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture extra bit... I also tried the Large Heap...

I am going to try another one and see.. just can't believe it.

edit/update: still rejected. I have went back to a default generated manifest and I also used a ultra basic scene that will load the secondary main game scene. Seems this basic scene gets loaded and it is just the secondary scene that crashs. (according to androidTV review team). roughly 1 test a day leads me to 21 days of rejections... nightmare x 2. My latest try I have just uploaded to the playstore has all EasyTouch asset references and all Audio removed, All version Checks, All PlayerPref checks, Sprite Layering scripts, any and all assets that just seem like extras at this point removed....

I have added the logcat from google if anyone can highlight my issue it would be sweet!!

I have a google group going for beta testers for anyone that can join to test it!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/annex-development

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  22. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Because your using a old version of Unity, I think the Android issues got fixed in the releases after this.
    Why dont you try 4.6.6!

23. GodOfMagic

GodOfMagic

LG-E610 android 4.4.4. same problem. Unity 5.0.0f4. Tried everything in this article, nothing helps.

24. Footers

Footers

I think I'm seeing a similar or the same issue. Basically I've built an apk using 5.0.2 and it works on several devices but just displays a black screen on a Galaxy Note Pro (Android 4.4.2), without even showing the Unity splash screen. Is this the same issue others are seeing in this thread? I've not yet tried tweaking the build settings but reading back I see most of the issues were related to Unity 4.6.1. Any ideas on what I can try or has someone at least confirmed what the problem might be?
    Thanks in advance.

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Its a Unity Bug! Not sure what your wish people to say, file a bug report and see if Unity confirm issues!

26. Footers

Footers

I was simply asking if this is the same "Black Screen" issue others in this thread are experiencing. I've read others are seeing the splash screen but not the game, whereas I'm not seeing the splash screen but believe it's related. I find asking the helpful Unity community can be more powerful than simply logging a bug report.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Apologies just very frustrating that such serious issues dont get looked into asap by Unity, they always say file a bug report which again is frustrating because takes weeks for then to check it out after you get negative app reviews and failed project deadlines...if someone does find a solution for the issue it be a miracle in my eyes

28. Footers

Footers

No worries. I know what it can be like. Unity are not the only ones that struggle with bug reports and managing issues post release. I find Autodesk are pretty useless also.

29. Bessu

Bessu

Same problem with Unity 5.1.1 and Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (android 4.4.2) after updating from Unity 4.6. No splash, just a blank, black screen. The project does work on my Nexus 7 tablet as well as on iPad. So incredibly frustrating, this is a serious issue.

MrEsquire likes this.
  30. Footers

Footers

By forcing the build to use OpenGL ES 2.0 it did resolve the issue for me on the Galaxy Note Pro 4 (4.4.2) - Unity 5.0.2

31. Taz-dragon

Taz-dragon

I'm getting just the splash with Unity 5.1.1 and android 4.1 (level 16).

Edit: It works if I make an empty project.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

So what you saying, it only happens if you set minimum Android Level?

33. Taz-dragon

Taz-dragon

I changed it back to level 9, no dice. As far as I can tell I have the player settings at default.

Edit: I seem to have solved this problem. I was having a problem with my connection, and I was trying to download something at start().

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  34. GodOfMagic

GodOfMagic

I changed my player settings to this and it seems to work nice.

Attached Files:

35. PaletteConcepts

PaletteConcepts

Hey all,
    I may have a fix here for people who still are struggling with having a black screen, and maybe sound playing. I'm using "ETC1 or RGBA 16 (GLES2.0)" texture compression in the Android Build Settings, and "Force Open GL ES 2.0" under PlayerSettings/Android/OtherSettings/Configuration.

I believe the issue comes down to the Texture Compression under the Android Build Settings, and the "Graphics Level" option under PlayerSettings/Android/OtherSettings/Configuration. I turned on "Use 32-bit Display Buffer," to no avail, but whenever I chose "Force Open GL ES 2.0," the issue was resolved. It's possible this fixed the issue, because I was using "ETC1 or RGBA 16 (GLES2.0)" texture compression, on a device that was using Open GL ES 3.0; Just a theory, anyways.

36. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Would just using Android override compression fix this as well?

37. PaletteConcepts

PaletteConcepts

It may, but devices that don't support the compression you choose, may still have the black screen problem.

38. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Resetting all my textures to true color and the largest file size in the inspector default and then compressing using the override for android worked for me. It must have something to do with an unrecognized compression format unity uses as its default. Or , this is just utter nonsense because I don’t know much about computers and it was just a fluke. Either way, its working now.

39. EmreB05

EmreB05

40. dred236

dred236

I tried, but the problem still exists

41. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

Black is back, I have on 32 bit buffer and open gl 2.0. I also used the compress for Android on all my textures.

42. DeanMarquette

DeanMarquette

I wonder if Unreal Engine users are having this problem.

joaodeconto likes this.
  43. noethis

noethis

I've also been experiencing this black screen issue on certain devices. Audio will play correctly, but nothing renders.

I did some testing on a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (one of the devices I'm having the issue on) and found it to be caused by anti-aliasing (similar to others in this thread a while back). As soon as I turn off anti-aliasing in the Quality settings it works.

EDIT: Also seems to have to do with OpenGL ES3.0. If I force it to 2.0 then I can run with AA on still.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  44. PedroGV

PedroGV

45. noethis

noethis

Any updates from Unity folks on this? See my post above for details.

46. Nick_Field

Nick_Field

We have some issue on Asus Zenfone.

D/Unity (15995): GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_texture_float GL
    _OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_fragment_precision_high GL_OES_compressed_ETC1
    RGB8_texture GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_get
    program_binary GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_egl_sync GL_OES
    texture_npot GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT
    multisampled_render_to_texture GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean G
    L_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_IMG_shader_binary GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvr
    tc GL_IMG_texture_compression_pvrtc2 GL_IMG_texture_npot GL_IMG_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_IMG_read_format GL_IMG_progra
    m_binary GL_IMG_uniform_buffer_object GL_IMG_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_KHR
    D/Unity (15995): _debug
    W/Unity (15995): Timeout while trying to pause the Unity Engine.

47. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.2.1p3 has a fix for AA on ARM Mali based ES3 devices

48. noethis

noethis

Yep, saw that and it does indeed fix my issue. Thanks!

49. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

One of the players send me this after recent update:

12243736_534123166748887_1678965624_n.jpg

It's "Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime". I've built the game with Automatic Graphics API and now I've sent him an apk with only OpenGL ES 2.0 selected. Unity 5.2.2f1. I'll let you know if this was the issue.

EDIT: Game works fine on this device with only OpenGL ES 2.0 selected.

My question is: can setting only OpenGL ES 2.0 cause some problems on other devices, that are now working correctly?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  50. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

And the game stopped working on some other devices... Thanks Unity!

Are there any known rendering settings that don't cause this problem?

MrEsquire likes this.