Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Black Screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by Ogien, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Ogien

Ogien

I am getting some emails from users that are reporting a completely black screen after a recent update. It seems to be an issue with the last few versions of Unity. Anyone know what this is all about?

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. MajidKhosravi

MajidKhosravi

Same here, started to get lots of 1 star reviews lately, unfortunately I made many changes too after upgrading to Unity 4.3 and I have to downgrade to 4.2 and do the changes again.

Here is what I am getting in LogCat for some old devices:

skipped rendering frame because gfx device is in invalid state (device lost)

If anyone knows a solution, please let me know.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. Agent_007

Agent_007

Did you try disabling multithreaded rendering?

4. angel_m

angel_m

In my case the users report a complete blue screen but I suposse it is the same problem...

5. MajidKhosravi

MajidKhosravi

It was disabled actually, My game rate went down with lots of 1 star reviews this week and many emails saying they just hear sound and see a black screen.

I was able to verify it on ADT too, so we had to go back and revert changes to Unity 4.2.2 again to avoid losing more users.

6. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

7. Aurigan

Aurigan

Yuck, pleased to find it's not just me with this issue, sad that it IS an issue - getting lots of 1* reviews talking about black screens. Reported on Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy Ace 2, Xperia U and additionally getting some really weird looking glitching (top half kinda ok, bottom half of screen only partially rendering) on HTC One V

8. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I tried to search deeper and it appears that NGUI shaders could cause black screen issues in the past.
    Guys, are you using NGUI in your games, or these issue is not related to NGUI?

9. angel_m

angel_m

I have the issue and I am not using NGUI.

10. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

A user from the support forum thread suggested that turning on "32-bit display buffer" fixes the issue.

11. der_goldie

der_goldie

yes, this fix the issue with Black Screen, thx a lot!

12. Alina Billingsley

Alina Billingsley

I bought a game of Google Play and installed it. When i start it up it shows the game for a short time, but then the screen quickly turns black. My phone should be good enough to handle the game, so what could be the problem?

The game in question is Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery and my phone is an Xperia S :sad:

13. 3dgrinder

3dgrinder

14. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

3dgrinder,
    Curious if you released with "32-bit display buffer" enabled? I'm trying to decide on releasing an update using Unity 4.3, or waiting this out, or going back to 4.2 .

15. 3dgrinder

3dgrinder

nah, we didn't release using 32-bit buffer enable but soon we will do.

16. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I bump this, can't stand all these 1 stars...

17. iguana_02

iguana_02

Guys, this is a nightmare...on my App i got at least 10 1 star per day because of this...Any news from the developers?

18. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I think the title needs to be changed so that a developer or moderator gets some interest in this thread.

19. Seely

Seely

Hi guys,

has anyone had any luck solving this? or heard any responses from Unity?

We are having the same problem, exporting from Unity 4.2.2 worked fine, but after upgrading to 4.3.1f1 we get the Android Black Screen.

We get the problem occurring on a tablet with an earlier version of Android - Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.
    In LogCat we get the output:

It starts the Android Activity -
    I/ActivityManager(840): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10000000 cmp=au.com.test.tester/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerProxyActivity } from pid 1361
    I/ActivityManager(840): Start proc au.com.test.tester for activity au.com.test.tester/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerProxyActivity: pid=2414 uid=10025 gids={3003}
    W/InputManagerService(840): Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406157b8 (uid=10005 pid=1361)

The window dies and then it seems to make a copy of the APK for some reason -
    I/WindowManager(840): WINDOW DIED Window{4062a338 au.com.test.tester/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerProxyActivity paused=false}
    I/ActivityManager(840): Process au.com.test.tester (pid 2414) has died.
    I/WindowManager(840): WIN DEATH: Window{40607b78 SurfaceView paused=false}
    W/InputManagerService(840): Got RemoteException sending setActive(false) notification to pid 2414 uid 10025
    W/ActivityManager(840): No content provider found for:
    W/ActivityManager(840): No content provider found for:
    I/ActivityManager(840): Force stopping package au.com.test.tester uid=10025
    I/PackageManager(840): Package au.com.test.tester codePath changed from /data/app/au.com.test.tester-1.apk to /data/app/au.com.test.tester-2.apk; Retaining data and using new
    I/PackageManager(840): Unpacking native libraries for /data/app/au.com.test.tester-2.apk
    W/PackageManager(840): Code path for pkg : au.com.test.tester changing from /data/app/au.com.test.tester-1.apk to /data/app/au.com.test.tester-2.apk
    W/PackageManager(840): Resource path for pkg : au.com.test.tester changing from /data/app/au.com.test.tester-1.apk to /data/app/au.com.test.tester-2.apk
    W/RecognitionManagerService(840): no available voice recognition services found

It starts the Android Activity a second time -
    I/ActivityManager(840): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10000000 cmp=au.com.test.tester/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerProxyActivity } from pid 1361
    I/ActivityManager(840): Start proc au.com.test.tester for activity au.com.test.tester/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerProxyActivity: pid=2486 uid=10025 gids={3003} W/InputManagerService(840): Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406157b8 (uid=10005 pid=1361)
    W/InputManagerService(840): --------- beginning of /dev/log/main

Then it repeats the message below about GfxDevice being invalid -
    I/Unity(2486): Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
    I/Unity(2486):
    I/Unity(2486): (Filename: Line: 1539)
    E/Unity(2486): [EGL] Unable to find an configuration matching minimum spec!
    E/Unity(2486):
    E/Unity(2486): (Filename: Line: 112)
    I/Unity(2486): Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
    I/Unity(2486):
    I/Unity(2486): (Filename: Line: 1539)
    E/Unity(2486): [EGL] Unable to find an configuration matching minimum spec!
    E/Unity(2486):
    E/Unity(2486): (Filename: Line: 112)

-----

In an earlier forum post people exporting PC builds were having this same error occur because the "Multi-Threaded Rendering" Editor Setting was set to true (turned on).
    And we noticed that from Unity 4.2 to Unity 4.3 the Editor "Player Settings" GUI under "Other Settings" now includes a "Multi-Threaded Rendering" checkbox. So we are wondering if something is a miss when you try to turn this off.

Or I'm not sure if this would affect us, but for "Known Issues" for Unity 4.3, they state there is no support for "Google Native Client".
    "Google Native Client support is not functional in Unity 4.3. If you need to publish to Native Client you can still use Unity 4.2.2"
    http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.3#known-issues
    If the Google Native Client is used to run APKs in earlier versions of Android, maybe this is causing a problem.

Hope we find a solution to this problem, it's a real headache for our development at the moment.
    Alex.

20. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Hi,

This is a known issue in 4.3. We will release a fix for 16bit display buffer with the next 4.3 release.

"E/Unity(2486): [EGL] Unable to find an configuration matching minimum spec!" - this probably means you have selected 16bit display buffer but the device doesn't support 16 bit frame buffer - at least not configured the way needed by Unity. In Unity 4.2 we just picked a random configuration which obviously could lead to a very undefined behavior with the application. The fix in 4.3 will be to fallback to a 32 bit frame buffer if there is no compatible 16 bit configuration.

If you select 32 bit display buffer in the editor you should be able to work around this issue. If that is not the case please file a bug and attach a repro project and as much information as possible regarding the device you are deploying to.

21. dariuszpietrala

dariuszpietrala

Got this problem today :( Fortunately I uploaded new version only 10 hours after the bug, but got about 50 1* :( Hopefully this will fix it. I've unchecked the 32bit some time ago and started working on a update. Read somewhere that this is slowing the game on Android :( Don't remember where...

Edit: 32bits fixed it! ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  22. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Next version of Unity is out. There are many fixes for Android devices, I am updating my application now to check the black screen issue.

23. rsb_jeremy

rsb_jeremy

fwiw, i was having this exact issue with 4.3.2f1 and things seem to be working properly so far in 4.3.3f1.

24. MajidKhosravi

MajidKhosravi

It appears that this issue is resolved in 4.3.3, we have already pushed the new update and so far so good.

25. Torousisme

Torousisme

Hello all, I am quite new to Unity and I have this issue in HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S2 devices. I am running Unity 4.3.3f1. I have checked all the posts and tried all the recommendations but the issue persists. As soon the unity splash screen goes, I can only see an empty image (which has the colour of the background colour of the camera).

Any more information on that problem would be greatly appreciated.

26. paulstewart

paulstewart

Hi , Just had this same problem with an Android game after upgrade from Unity 4.2.2 to Unity 4.3.4 massive increase in one stars.
    After further testing found problem on Samsung fame black screen on first starting game.

Tried turning on 32 Bit Display Buffer - Still getting Black Screen on first start up

Tried turning on both 24 Bit Depth Buffer 32 Bit Display Buffer - Problem seems to be fixed

My game contains both MobileCore Ads Admob banner
    I can only confirm this sorted my problem on Samsung Fame ,GPU - Broadcom VideoCore IV
    Will have to watch my review rating closly after update and post update

Cheers
    P. Stewart
    Open World Gaming Android

27. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone, there could be two reasons for this issue.

The first one is that you have selected the "OpenGL ES 3.0" graphics level in the player settings. OpenGL ES 3.0 must be supported by the device or else it will not work - a hardware and software support is required. OpenGL ES 3.0 support was officially added with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, so if a device has previous Android version, or it was released a long time ago before the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update was released, OpenGL ES 3.0 will not work (there are a few exceptions). You can see this bug report as well: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/openggl-es-3-dot-0-applications-does-not-run-on-old-devices

Another reason could be that you have enabled the "Multithreaded Rendering" in the player settings. So far we are aware of only one device where this happens: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/application-freezes-on-the-kindle-fire-first-generation
    If your issue is caused by the multithreaded rendering, please submit a bug report, provide a project which would allow us to reproduce the issue and also specify device names with Android versions where you are able to reproduce this issue.
    Before reporting the bug, make sure you are using the latest available Unity version (which currently is 4.3.4f1) and that the issue is still reproducible with it. As always the latest version can be downloaded here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download

28. benni05

benni05

My latest app is compiled with Unity 4.3.4f1 and is using OpenGL ES 2.0 and I'm still receiving those error reports. I'm not able to reproduce this with any of my own devices but the error reports look solid. I will follow paulstewart's recommendation now hoping that this does not cause problems otherwise.

Update: My betatesters still report the bug. It doesn't matter whether I switch the Display Buffer options on or off. It is reproduceable on Nexus 10