Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient warfare

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by janpec, Feb 5, 2013.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is no real level composition with houses, forest or moutains, and there is no characters among all models you show. Without a game background , gameplay ideas and characters ideas , this is hard to give lot of motivation because it is like you don't know precisely what your game is about on gameplay or will look.
    You will increase your chances by 90% if you make some real game prorotype , with some minimum level design and gameplay ideas.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I would suggest starting with something like this too, just the basics could go along way. Or doing something like writing down all your ideas (it takes a while, but i find it fun and well worth it), with this you can easily build the code structure around your ideas.

Just curious what are you thinking of useing for multiplayer? PUN? Unet?

I wish you luck on this game, I have always wanted a good 'ancient' game like this to be made. :)

3. janpec

janpec

Roman imperial helmet.

hopeful likes this.
  4. janpec

janpec

Thanks for input. Actually i do have in engine scene with vegetation and houses, i didnt put images on yet, becouse i havent yet started on terrain. Terrain is gona take quite few days of work and i have to plan it very good, hopefully ill be able to put it on next month.

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

You need to show basic gameplay prototype to really catch people attention.

6. janpec

janpec

How, i cant code :)

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

Visual scripting like Playmaker or Uscript basic ? or perhaps you could try asking in job section as non paid ?

8. janpec

janpec

I am asking for 2 years already :) Visual scripts will take me at least year to learn to get some basics for mp prototype, i am doing it full time development on asset side, no way i can invest that time just to learn to get things up for video. I had some suggestions like that before, not sure why everyone is making it as if its so easy to do that. To get decent on programming or 3d it takes years.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nope, the basics navigation using navmesh agent to have ennemis follow and reach the player or some goal is some lines of code.
    There is many tutorials covering FPS combat and basic annemies AI, step by step. Within one month you should have basic ennemies following the player and attacking. Something enought good to show some gameplay in various places and situations to make it appealing.
    If you are motivated enought you can , you just need some characters , then drop 3D art work and start following some tutorials, or you'll have to pay someone to code the main gameplay or make some royalties proposition (this is the only way to get someone very motivated and involved).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. janpec

janpec

Roman gold cup.

Stone axe.

Celtic iron mask.

Roman brick wall and brick wall building part. For now its more or less testing piece.

Bear cape.

Roman cavalry mask.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. janpec

janpec

Gold coins.

Fish trap.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

It would be cool to see some human characters, it seems you have almost everything but that.

Still looking great though. :)

13. janpec

janpec

War chariot. Needs bits of ropes and some texture corrects to be done later.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  14. janpec

janpec

Hey, i have plenty of armor and character parts ready mainly for Macedonia and Celtcs, however they are still in non PBR state, which means ill have to first add metal/gloss/color redo textures on them, ill pop them up when ready but its still gona take some time as its quite plenty of it and environment is still priority.

Meznaric and RavenOfCode like this.
  15. janpec

janpec

Celtic wooden roof, maybe needs some extra detail, for now will do. Tessalation is making it bit wavy,needs to fix that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  16. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks like a regular normal map, you should use different roof patterns like rounded patterns where tesselation would really bring something or simply keep tesselation for surface having bigger heights like stones on floor or other objects. With your actual texture a normal map would bring the same visuals almosy and will save GPU for better tesselation usage.
    Anyway good job.

17. JaredMerritt

JaredMerritt

If you are looking for a programmer I charge very reasonable rates, and can make your project come to life quickly and powerfully. I like the premise, are you thinking of a gladiator arena style or a open world game?

18. janpec

janpec

Livestock water bowl, also for food.

Murex shellfish, darker one for red dye and bright one for purple dye resource.

Celtic wolfhound.

Dyers woad. Used for crafting 3 different dye colors - blue, green and white, creates powder which is further crafted into dye by adding water.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. janpec

janpec

Couldnt agree more, for such texture the visual affect of POM/tess is very weak. It does make quite good difference if you look it from sharp angle on the edge of mesh, doesnt hurt keeping it there for higher settings, but ye, not much gain from it.

20. janpec

janpec

Cane corso, 3 variations.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  21. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

Your art is amazing. I hope you'll be able to make into a game; since it's been 2 years, maybe you have an alternative plan to finding a free programmer?

One detail, though. There were no tomatoes in Europe at that time; they came from America after Columbus's discovery.

Good luck!

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

You should stop making 3D models, you won't be able to put them all on the game, you'll get out of memory quickly.
    Or maybe you plan to sell 3D assets on the Store ?

23. Schneider21

Schneider21

That's a confusing sentence. How many models do you think are in AAA titles?

24. janpec

janpec

Hah true, thats wierd, i can almost swear i found references that were describing tomatoes as part of vegetables of that area, otherwise i am sure i wouldnt be making them. Perhaps i was on dodgy reference site, and my brain went in knock back phase aswell, not pointing to that obvious fact :)

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

Level design is not making 3D models only, you need to pull out interesting level to play.
    He has enought models to start a game , but i think he just like making models and i am not sure this all this result in a game.
    He is skilled, he could join a team in a real project.

26. Schneider21

Schneider21

I think that may be the point of this thread right now, isn't it? As a talented modeler/artist, to draw the attention of an interested programmer to form the team?

I don't think everyone should have to make a game themselves. Knowing what your core skills are and embracing that is a smart move.

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Is he wasting his time as nobody seems interested ? Anyway , he has fun, that's what matters.

I agree. But this is a WIP forums for games mainly, for 3D art there is specialized sites where he would have more attention than here.

28. Schneider21

Schneider21

I see plenty of threads in WIP for asset packs, which this could easily become. The artist in me says "No time spent creating is ever wasted", but the programmer in me says "That statement is illogical and will be disregarded."

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's only on your own. What is your goal and what makes you have fun ?
    Anyway i will stop watching "Ancient Warfare" thread as this is more "3D models showcase" and i don't see any interest, if i want to see 3D models WIP there is lot of specialized sites.

30. janpec

janpec

Vine plant for grape fruit/vine resource. Had no idea how to model grapes with moderate poly count without loosing much of visuals, so i ended up doing 5k close up version, 1k on LOD and only 2 triangles on LOD 50 meters plus with just using billboard and it turned out alright. No idea how to downscale first main LOD though from 5k.

Celtic house (celtic stone house wall and roof support).Roof to be done yet along with door support.

Celtic house updated:

Personal battering ram/iron.

Bow saw.

Ram frame prototype and oil spil structure. Just placeholders to get things going.

Iron age cattle /bull.

Woven fence.

Wooden-stone fence, modular parts.

Wooden door. House and fort version. Standard and iron supported version.

Sticks and stones, basic building resources besides trunk and planks. Basically just using campfire assets for it.

House support and window.

Fire starter and flint stone.

Campfire small. Burning/burnt version, also for large campfire.

Roman celtic tower. Needs ceramic roof and some mesh/tex corrections.

Trunk log, 3 versions. Pine will need a redo i guess.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  31. janpec

janpec

Yeh that was the idea, to gather some attention of interested programmer. But doesnt matter anymore, i have decided to finance and hire programmer for alpha stage of game at least. Perhaps beta aswell will see how it will move, will decide upon programmer in next 3 days.

Log cutting pannel. After log is sawn it spawns planks.

Meat drying/smoking pannels. Left is small one for only 1 resource at a time, middle one is larger for multiple, right is for hide (hide drying pannel), far right long sticks resource.

Dead step trap.

Perch fish.

Underwater plants.

Soil beach texture.

Snow bumpy.

Landscape rocks/gold.

Got rhino done, corrected some pbr textures.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    red2blue likes this.
  32. Meznaric

Meznaric

Any progress in last couple of months? Did you manage ti find a programmer? good luck

33. janpec

janpec

Yes indeed plenty of progress we are working on AI, combat, animations are all done, environment is in building process. Its being done on UE4, thus i am no longer updating this thread.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  34. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I think people would still be interested in following the game, a link to a thread there or something would be nice!

Congrats on getting a programmer, if there quality is anything like your art it should be great! :)

Voltarrens likes this.
  35. Helikaon2018

Helikaon2018

these are all awesome! what happened to half of the old pics? like they were outdated or something?