Search Unity

Ancient warfare

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by janpec, Feb 5, 2013.

1. avadlamani

avadlamani

Well if that was your aim then that's fine, artistic freedom and all. But weapons never stay clean, if you know what I mean. ;)

2. janpec

janpec

Ok layed down character prototype creation. I will be using UMA character tool for Unity, it only depends now if i can use different shaders for body part to separate shaders for armor and skin.

3 main parts - 1 is for head ,1 for body (+armor is overlayed in same UV space) and 1 for eyes. Not sure yet if i will use additional one for hair or place hair into any of those UV layouts since hair will share same layout as helmet, which is best to be separated, or maybe putting helmet UVs into head part.

3ds Max Edit normals is used (avarage normals function) at end to properly blend seams of detached parts on character.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. virror

virror

You can use as many shaders as you want, just that drawcalls will go up since the parts cant be batched : )

4. janpec

janpec

Oh really, that sounds great, thanks for input virror. Now i kinda wonder how much performance will i sacrify hm...well there is no any other way.

5. virror

virror

I guess best way is to try out some different variants and see.

6. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

well but the more shaders u use, the higher the performance will cost, so u better have a optimized shader ;)

7. janpec

janpec

Yeh for sure, at moment it sounds good that UMA characters only use 1 drawcall, having two different shaders will for sure increase that, and once there are plenty characters on screen it starts to get ugly. I am at moment doing rework of pine trees, made mistake modeling wooden parts of branches as it doesnt look good and it doubles poly count of trees...

8. janpec

janpec

Just wanted to mention again i am still looking for programmer to join on collaboration.

9. janpec

janpec

Celtic knife.

10. TVE

TVE

Hey,

Looks really nice, I cannot believe you haven't got programmer yet, it is such beautiful art. I may just have to set aside my current games to code this because I really like it! :]

11. janpec

janpec

Thanks TVE, here is next sword, wooden practicing sword.

12. janpec

janpec

Stone wall texture.

13. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

nice, u gonna use shader for the stone wall?

14. janpec

janpec

Skyshop default Spec_bump shader will be used for stone wall, on render i am just using default Marmoset Phong shader.

15. janpec

janpec

Pottery celtic/ roman.

16. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Got my eye on this.

17. janpec

janpec

Celtic helmet.

18. janpec

janpec

Bronze version of pots.

19. janpec

janpec

Wooden fighting pole.

20. janpec

janpec

Roman parma shield.

21. Mister-D

Mister-D

all ur weapons look great janpec! every one of them.
    i would like to see some characters from you....
    if not i can help u.
    cheers
    bümstrüm

22. janpec

janpec

Thanks Mister D, characters are next on list, i just havent completly finished whole layout of how they should be structured and that, mostly prototpye character has been done though only to get some texture space perspective going. I have only done 1 human character i think so far in 3d modeling, but its no problem since learning is really not an issue as its what we all indie devs do hehe.

23. Goregaming

Goregaming

This looks promising keep it up! I can't wait to play it.

24. janpec

janpec

Bit of resurection to project: Plantable pepper plant.

25. AthosK

AthosK

Sweet looking assets! Are there any videos for the game yet? Good job so far!

26. janpec

janpec

Thanks. Sadly not yet as there is no programer yet collaborating on project.

27. Velo222

Velo222

Hey janpec, I'm currently working on an RTS game -- doing the programming mostly. I'm too far along in my own game to switch projects right now, but with your modeling expertise, I think we could make a good team. I get the feeling it might have to wait until I'm done with my own game first, but you never know.

Maybe keep some options open? I can send you some pics of my game to show you what I'm working on if you want. And then you can decide if you want to or not -- and if I'm good enough for your tastes. I'm not a professional programmer, just a hobbyist. I love RTS's, and if you do too, maybe we could work something out. :)

28. rorakin3

rorakin3

First time seeing this thread. You have some great work here! I've recently (last couple months) started doing a TPS medieval MOBA, but there aren't a bunch of heroes to choose, instead you choose 2 weapons, and can weapon swap between the two weapons any time in game. I'm using Bolt for networking (authoritative server).

I'm trying to stay as far away from fantasy (unicorns, rainbows, giant magical aoe effects, etc. like you see in all MOBAs), and trying to stick to as much sword / bow and arrow type of combat mechanics as possible right now, but I think will need a little bit of magic to make the combat interesting. If interested in possible collab, send me a pm.

29. janpec

janpec

Wild boar. Some errors on teeth. I had quite trouble choosing which "shape" of wildboar to go with as this animal is rather quite significantly different within same species in terms of proportions of certain parts. Well in the end thats what came out, i might modify it later will see.

30. red2blue

red2blue

Cool chrom teeth :) btw. everything looks really cool!

31. janpec

janpec

Rock models, riverside. Puting some pines next to it and river and it should make environment sense.

red2blue and GeneBox like this.
  32. janpec

janpec

Got some river mud texture going. Basically used rock models above, shrunk them down, placed on Mudbox tiling plane, activated normal map filter and screenshoted normal map, and then screenshoted also diffuse and parallax map from screen-distance filter, added some painting adjustments on top of that.

33. janpec

janpec

Vine pottery, basically a vine bottle, restores thirst, consumes stamina, decent value for market sale.

34. janpec

janpec

Fern, used high poly meshes to create textures and screened them for normals and textures just like for upper mud texture.

35. janpec

janpec

Mushrooms, edible. There will be possibility to make soup of mushrooms and vegies and cook it on fire.

36. janpec

janpec

Red fin freswater fishies.

37. janpec

janpec

Did some more rocks this time with tiled textures becouse those are 10 or 50 to 1 on human size. Plan to use vertex blended material on it, at moment only 1 texture.

38. janpec

janpec

Bronze bowl for soup making.

39. CraftySentinel

CraftySentinel

Wow, these are brilliant. Really do hope this gets off the ground. Its sounds like a game I would enjoy.

40. janpec

janpec

Celtic/Gaul "cap" helmet. Few different metal variations. What annoys me is UV seam on top of helmet and in middle of inside helmet when used with cube map of environment its heavily seen, i am really woried those will be seen later becouse to corect them it would require complete retexturing. If thats the case i will have to use IBL shader instead or maybe Unity 5 env lighting will help.

41. janpec

janpec

High poly mesh of new Celtic helmet:

Jaqal likes this.
  42. janpec

janpec

Gallic noble helmet.

43. Velo222

Velo222

Nice job janpec,

I really like the fish that you posted above. You've really got some good texturing going on, on almost all of your models. You should think about selling some of your creations on the asset store, if you havn't already.

Hope your project continues to go well. Keep it up.

44. janpec

janpec

Thanks for comment Velo222, i do sell on Asset store actually , underwater animals specifically.
    As for animal texturing i use rather mechanized aproach, - high poly sculpt, retopo, low poly, bake maps, basic color blockout, overlay and color adjustment with different layers of animal skin parts. Always the same, it feels like blacksmith approach to hard surface models and organic aswell:D . But then again thats what probably all 3d modelers do, having default pipeline.

45. janpec

janpec

Germanic / Celtic one handed battle axe. Two variations.

Wire, end of metal part has bad topology, but i managed to hide it more or less with normal map.

46. janpec

janpec

Germanic spear.

red2blue likes this.
  47. janpec

janpec

Germanic knife, used by civilians, troops as secondary weapon and primary for archers:

48. malosal

malosal

any chance we can see some fighting or gameplay video?

49. janpec

janpec

I am searching for programmer on recruitment posts at moment, so hopefully we could start on it soon.

50. janpec

janpec

Germanic light shields, raw wood, leather and color version: