Search Unity

Amazing looking indie game - would like to discuss techniques they used

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by I am da bawss, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I know this is kind of not Unity related, that's why I am posting this in the Gossip forum.
    I have searched in the Unity forum and amazed nobody posted about this :

"Supercan is an Action Adventure game. The game offers about two to three hours of gameplay and is freely available on the official homepage. Language is Turkish."

I am very interested in how they achieve such result because I really like the look and style of this game. I would like to discuss and break down the techniques they used in this game, and how to achieve similar result in Unity.I think I am particularly amazed at how colorful the game look -
    I think that's some kind of color tone-mapping right ?? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. saymoo

saymoo

This post feels like a hidden advertisement for Supercanoyun and Sobee (looking at the amount of pictures included, and the video.) Let alone the mention of A8 (also advertising?)

Dunno, it feels fishy. (depening on the direction this thread might go, i might change my mind)

3. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I can remove the screenshots if you want. But without the screenshots its harder to discuss the effects they have. I really just want to know how they achieve that really colorful "glow" effect.
    The blue in the sky really comes out and accentuated. Also the grass looks very realistic, quite impressive really - I am not sure if it has some kind of shader applied to it (some kind of real-time fur shader?)

EDIT : Removed all offending info about the game except the name.

4. andyz

andyz

Looks great apart from the horrible bloom filter which seems to be over-saturating the sky and blurring it over the foreground!!
    I never understood the love of bloom shader effects.
    Otherwise just good art

5. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

You think that's purely just bloom shader?? I still think it may have some kind of tone mapping involved but I can't be sure. I don't know, I really like that "horrible sky bloom shader" effect. It just makes the whole game visually "pop". Without it it would probably look kind of bland.

I think Unreal Tournament and Crysis has similar look like that and I have been trying to get the similar look in Unity.

6. andyz

andyz

7. callahan.44

callahan.44

The blue bloom doesn't float my boat either, or the mix of a very minimised main character with realistic environments.
    DOF works quite nice on some of those screenshots though.

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am not too sure exactly, but I remember one of the new feature in Crysis 2 is "color correction" (which is also a Unity 3's new feature) which I suspect they use in this game as well, that's why the color seems to "pop" and far more accentuated than they would without it.

Looking through Unity Doc and I found this:
    Color Correction image effect

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/script-ColorCorrectionEffect.html

I think they might have applied that effect to get that look.

9. JSilver

JSilver

10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Thanks, I will try out the color correction and bloom effect first to see if I can get close to it.

Also, the grass seems to have more depth to it I am wondering how they achieve that?

The Unity Grass seems rather flat compare to the one in the screenshot below:

Unity Grass

SuperCan Grass

11. callahan.44

callahan.44

Their texture under the 3d grass matches better. Look at the edges of the paths.

12. janpec

janpec

There are just few posteffects applied. Defenetly bloom, motion blur and maybe a bit color correction. I have seen more colorfull games that this one, but it certainly does look good.

13. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

You need to change the grass texture to match the ground texture. Really, just good art assets make the difference. Here is an example of grass in a project I'm working on using Unity.

14. BloodWraith86

BloodWraith86

Who cares?

Even if it were an advertisement, what is so wrong about that?

If I never saw this, I would never know the game existed, so I couldn't enjoy it.

So you're against enjoying games? Wow.

15. saymoo

saymoo

Bloodwraith86, i hate it when people hide their true intentions behind a certain post.
    (i've seen it happen all too often, on diverse forums.)
    Most times this leads towards trolling and slander. (engine vs engine, studio vs studio, game vs game etc etc etc)

Not saying this is the case here, but at first this is the caution i feel creeping towards me, while reading. That's why i made the comment.. and i also mentioned i (depending on the direction the thread goes) might change my mind towards the topic.

16. SirFency

SirFency

I'm experiencing a extremely blown out specular effect in my scene. Not sure why the spec is so hot but its really ugly. I don't have pro so I'm assuming the lighting is not going to be top notch but it should not suck. I also have an issue where the lights are shinning strait through my buildings and this is annoying. I should not be able to see a lens flare inside my building. Is this because I need pro? I agree I don't care for bloom. Its ok if done right but most games don't. The grass in the game has flowers in it. this adds some depth. It also looks like they just painted their own texture rather than using the Unity out of the box grass.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seeing a lot of the same names make negative comments on these forums - grow up please.

As for this game, I think it is rather marvellous and obviously a fairly high budget considering the inclusion of licensed marvel characters. I cannot help but think it is stretching the definition of "indie" somewhat.

Onto the effects, there's the vingarette shader, and colour correction shader, so a combination of those two would certainly get you this look with the deferred renderer. The rest is really just a case of a fantastic art budget.

18. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

That was the first thing I noticed; the difference in art style between the main character and the world is laughably bad; like they dropped Super Mario into Crysis.

Mmm, I love that on my post processing salad.

19. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Sorry, I don't mean how the grass is seamlessly blended with the terrain grass texture. What I meant was how the grass seems "fuller" - more like hair or fur - it has deeper shadow at the root that made the grass to seem to have more depth to it.

20. HolBol

HolBol

hehehe. Probably referring to the vignette filter, weren't you, Mr. Hippo?

Doesn't look 'indie' to me. Licensed characters, an obvious high budget production.

21. Antitheory

Antitheory

While the blue effect is kind of overdone I still like it. They are simulating atmospheric scattering which has a pretty cool effect. I haven't used Unity Pro yet but I am assuming you could do this with a post-render filter if you have access to a depth-render.