Search Unity

Alternative Script Editor for Unity?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by frogwise, Jan 20, 2010.

1. frogwise

frogwise

What are some of your favourite script editors (Javascript, for example) for coding in Unity? Or does everyone use the built in one? I'm new to scripting but I'd like to have some extra functionality, such as dragging out the tab of a script so I can see them simultaneously and not have to flip back and forth.

2. raiden

raiden

Only way to go (for me anyway):

C# and MonoDevelop

:)

-Raiden

3. zibba

zibba

I like MonoDevelop 2.2 on Mac. Loads Visual Studio projects so the 2.6 project syncing works nicely.

4. frogwise

frogwise

I looked into MonoDevelop and it says it's designed around C#? I'm looking for something with Javascript in mind.

5. zibba

zibba

Ah for UnityScript. TextMate. There's some extensions on the forum for syntax highlighting etc for TextMate, it's a good editor.

6. frogwise

frogwise

TextMate looks good, but I'm working on a PC.

7. RogueKoi

RogueKoi

UnityDevelop http://technology.blurst.com/unitydevelop-javascript-editor/
    Is my prefered editor for UnityScript

Also I would look into SharpDevelop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ if you are using C#.

You can use monodevlop or Visual C# Express as well but I found that Visual C# Express will not open from Unity and MonoDevelop while it will open from unity will keep opening new MonoDevlop windows for each script. Sharpdevelop will open from unity and open each script in a tab in the same SharpDevelop instance.

This is assuming you want Free and are on Windows though. If money is no matter Visual Studio Pro I would say is the best bet.

8. Senkusha

Senkusha

I personally prefer the Notepad ++. There is a wiki article here at Unity3d, that explains how to add Unity Documentation, keyword highlighting, and code completion to Notepad ++ as well. I also really like the Function List (which you have to manually download off the site and move the DLL into the Plugin's folder). It's really nice to quickly jump to specific functions.

9. CrazyLikeAFox

CrazyLikeAFox

Sounds like a bug on your end. Did you set your default script editor to MonoDevelop and then "sync monodevelop project" ?

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

+1

11. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

+2

This is the cleanest way i've been able to work with unityscript (although MonoDevelop is decent with unityscript now)

12. trepan

trepan

I started using MonoDevelop - and there's a lot I liked, but I couldn't get over the horrendously slow screen refresh. I'm running on very well spec'd modern iMac, and yet scrolling through a file stutters like it's on some old machine from the '90s. Is there a 'make it run good' option I've missed somewhere?

...Anyhow, I still load up MonoDevelop when I need to debug something, otherwise it's TextMate all the way.

13. Vectrex

Vectrex

First... *notepad++*, are you people kidding?! ;) How on earth do you get anything done. I literally type almost nothing with a proper code editor.

MonoDevelop works decent with Unityscript. All the basics like intellisense, but I'm hoping the latest SharpDevelop 4 will get UnityScript support (It does C# and boo now). It's actually better than MonoDev in that it has many more colourising options (like functions vs events vs vars etc), plus many refactoring helpers (like auto creating functions, event handlers etc).
    PLUS It can convert code from C# to Boo perfectly!!! Imagine how cool this could be with UnityScript support, no more language arguments :)
    It DOESN'T support real Unity debugging or Unityscript yet, but that's something I'd like to see as it wouldn't be a big deal for Unity devs (since SharpD is actually a variant of MonoD)

edit: Ahh.. it's Windows only at the moment.. so.. not going to help you much then ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

No kidding. Notepad++ is pretty slick once you add the tweaks from the Wiki. Much more legible than UniScite IMO. Not the same as MonoDevelop, but I prefer a smaller, faster editor than MD.

15. Vectrex

Vectrex

Writing stuff down on paper and ocring it is better than UniScite :)
    Smaller and faster? Are you on a 386? ;) My MD is taking 88Meg, N++ 15meg. SharpDevelop 120meg, Unity 380 meg, Visual studio 290 meg.
    But those numbers are nothing really, my computer never slows down and it's an average dual core with 4 gig ram.
    Try SharpDev if you don't like MD (and on windows), it's not faster really, but it's different and more feature filled. Or just bite the bullet and get VS + ReSharper, although I have to say SharpDev has a lot of a cool stuff from ReSharper and VS without ReSharper is too basic.

16. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Agreed. I've recommended Unity use Notepad++ instead as their "alternate" editor, but they seem committed to UniScite for some reason.

I don't like how MD adds tons of meta files and other garbage to a project folder which makes it harder for me to organize my project folders later, but to be honest I haven't spent the time to familiarize myself with it. I've used Notepad++ in the past and it's the perfect combination of having just enough features to do what I want yet is simple enough to use it without reading any documentation / tutorials. Someday, maybe, I'll dig through MD and see what it's all about. But I'd rather spend that time working on my projects instead.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

it was useful how MD found unused variables in my code. Being able to build your projects is a huge bonus for monodevelop. Although its a bit crap on my macbook, taking 1-2 secs pause each time I start typing. Not sure why but turning off autocomplete reduces the problem (typing is still laggy).

On my pc its smooth as silk.

18. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

Seriously? Nobody here uses Unitron?! C'mon. . . :D
    Unitron all the way! It's simple, clean, and. . . yep, that's about it.

19. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

When I develop on my Mac (not very often anymore) I use Unitron. Unitron is considerably more user friendly than UniScite IMO.

20. scratch250

scratch250

I really like the unity script editor: D it works really well and I love the drop-down bar, it helps a lot so I can work faster:) I would really recommend it over MD :)

21. pjezek

pjezek

Just installed a virtual windows on my mac to enjoy the better editors. Even MonoDevelop feels faster.

22. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Visual Studio 2010 and DevExpress :)

Though I also like using SlickEdit too if VS isn't available.

23. fork187

fork187

I personally like Sublime Text 3. It has way more functionality than MonoDevelop. By far the best editor I have ever seen.

24. jelenmaciej

jelenmaciej

25. schragnasher

schragnasher

If you have the money, VS2013 and UnityVS is worth the money for serious development.

justinlloyd likes this.