Search Unity

All Fall Down - SciFi shooter/FPS/Platformer/Puzzler [Steam released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos85, Jan 29, 2015.

1. khos85

khos85

Hi Unity community,

I call this creation "All Fall Down".

I very am happy to announce that All Fall Down is now released on Steam, you can find it here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/391910/

Hope you can spare a moment to take a look :)

There are a few features to my game I'd like to name(amongst many others):
    1) One scene in Unity for everything!
    2) Interesting mix of puzzles and FPS..
    3) Lots of gameplay time, exploration as it's reasonably open world
    3) Space/Future theme :)
    4) Unity 5 ... (.2!)

Video:

Check out the new screenshots:

This game is now greenlit on Steam! Onwards and upwards hey, game is near completion and will be ready on steam in a few weeks hopefully. Thanks to everyone that visited and voted, very much appreciated.
    If you are interested take a look at URL: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=451616127

Video:

Thanks, hope you like it and would appreciate your thoughts (only good of course he he).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. paulvangerven

paulvangerven

Nice. Would be a good experience/idea for the Oculus Rift..

3. khos85

khos85

Thanks, I am planning on doing so for Dk2 SDK044 :)

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

That is way weird - I like it!
    Reminds me of a odd dream world - kind of.

The falling objects come down in flat sheets. May want to randomize there elevation in relation to each other just slightly.
    It may be a sticking point with players who want to manually push the buttons rather than having to throw a ball to hit the buttons.

Keep it up. Interested in the updates.

5. khos85

khos85

Awesome, thanks for taking a look :) much appreciated. I think it is a different type of game, not even sure what genre?!
    As you suggest, I was thinking of randomising the falling of blocks, maybe by making more spawn points. Also making different types of objects not just squares. Good feedback about the buttons to press, I'll look to get that added.
    Many thanks again. For now I am trying to get more levels added to give the game more of a story with an ending..

6. Serinx

Serinx

Cool idea :) Seems a bit weird to me how the debri disappears as soon as it hits the ground, maybe it could roll around for a bit then sink into the ground or fade out? Would make it a little more emersive in my opinion :)

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Interesting idea - make the debris static once it lands/bounces a little bit. Causing the player to have to traverse around parts in order to get to the button spots.

8. khos85

khos85

Thanks for taking a look :) I had that set where I only destroy the object after a longer time once the collision was detected but I found that the game would lag much more... probably a way to combat that would be to have less objects fall down but I'd rather not compromise on the number of objects.. if you have any ideas I'd welcome those of course. Another thing I looked at was the level of collision detection per object falling but anything over discrete would slow things down big time. I guess I might have to try look at optimising things more so the objects bounce around more, I agree that looks better and will make it more dangerous to as you'd have to run around those objects..

9. khos85

khos85

Aha , just thinking a bit more, I could have it so only certain blocks stay longer not all, I could control this, that might work better and still be kind to cpu/gpus.

10. Serinx

Serinx

Yeah, not sure if I'm using this right, but a LOD for the physics could be good. Close objects would use physics whereas far objects could just hit the ground then sink or fade out without a rigidbody so the physics calculations aren't run.

11. khos85

khos85

Thanks for the extra feedback, I'll try conjure up a mix between LOD and randomness :) thanks!

12. khos85

khos85

Some improvements made with more random debris generation, longer time on ground, gives much better FPS now 60 to 100 on intel HD 4000 , I'm pleased with that . I'm exploring the idea of one massive continuous scene with many stages/levels, save points along the way, should be possible. I wonder if that has ever been attempted in a game ie one big scene spilt into many "levels"?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  13. khos85

khos85

Another update, see video, thoughts welcome:)

14. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

This seems like an interesting concept, while watching the first video I thought of a game like SUPER HOT, but you jump from block to block as they fall.

Still, though, cool idea

15. khos85

khos85

Been working on it a bit more, would appreciate thoughts if any:
    Dodge big rolling balls, randomly spawned:
    upload_2015-2-10_23-20-5.png

Find your way out of mazes:
    upload_2015-2-10_23-20-18.png

Climb up massive staircases:
    upload_2015-2-10_23-19-2.png

Adding "floating" platforms that act as levels in the game , also adding sunshafts etc:
    upload_2015-2-10_23-23-32.png

I want to figure out a save system, how can I save all objects in their current state in a scene? Anyone got any ideas on how that could be done? Maybe save all into a xml/serialise it?

16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Very steady process khos! Keep it up!
    Would really like a web player demo when you get to a testing point.

17. khos85

khos85

Thanks for the feedback, when it's more playable I'll look at getting something done for a web player version, good idea.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. khos85

khos85

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  19. khos85

khos85

Hi Unity community,

Been working on my game some, see video and screenshots below, I call this creation "All Fall Down" for now. Not finished yet but getting there..
    I think it's coming along quite nicely.

There are a few features to my game I'd like to name(amongst many others):
    1) One scene in Unity for everything!
    2) Interesting mix of puzzles and FPS..
    3) Lots of gameplay time, exploration as it's reasonably open world
    3) Space/Future theme :)
    4) Unity 5 ...

On the todo list:
    1) Impliment Highscore table/leaderboard/reward system/collectables
    2) Work on Graphics more, more different objects/meshes in scene to add to details
    3) Improve cutscene(s)
    4) Player camera movement when running/walking
    5) More Planets with similar stories.. tbc.. episode 2..
    6) Lots more..

Video (note this video uses other youtube mucic...not the ingame ambient music):

Ton of Screenshots:

I have a web player demo version on Gamejolt, I would appreciate your feedback very much if you decide to give it a go :) Here is the link to web player version:
    http://gamejolt.com/games/action/all-fall-down/49007/

Note web player version has not got highest graphics quality settings enabled, also might lag a bit, desktop version is much nicer/faster..

Thanks, hope you like it and would appreciate your thoughts (only good of course he he).

20. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Still weird @khos85 !! In a good way. You have an ehser-type thing going on a little bit but without the confusion.

Not too fond of the blinking and I don't really like the lens flair fx either. Those aren't really seen with the naked eye.
    The blink is 'different' though.

Not to stray but what if that was a mechanic of the game? Have to blink or stuff starts to get blurry? :)

(Wouldn't it be coo if...... )

Keep it up. Enjoy watching the progress you are making.

Have you considered an Oculus build?

21. khos85

khos85

Many thanks for your feedback, sounds like I might be on the right track with this game and it's look/feel.. the blinking is not needed, I can turn that off or even have that as an option for it. I like the flare effects, might tone it down a bit though.. or make another sun with another minimal flare, I mean it is in space right..you could have two stars close to each other?.. I have a DK2 headset and am planning on building for DK2 but want to get the the game done first, I think it would suite that well....but just trying to recall if Unity 5 is ready yet for DK2?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. khos85

khos85

I have a question for my game, sometimes if I am on the edge of a cube/object it takes a lot running force to be able to go over the edge of that object, I'm using the character controller script with a mouse look script to control my characters, the objects (mostly rounded cubes) you can stand on have mesh colliders, I want to be able to fall of the edge of objects easily and should be able to but don't yet see what is causing the issue, any feedback/ideas/experience on how to change this would be most welcome.

23. khos85

khos85

Yay, I did it, I added DK2 support :) seems to work quite well with my pc and headset, so that was a pleasant surprise. It is a different spin to VR games probably as you have to look up all the time to check where the debris is, so definitely good for DK2 I'd say..
    See a gameplay vid here:

Was actually easier than my other DK2 conversion attempts because this time I used the new UI elements as worldspace , much easier this time around now..

Just a bit more detailing, occlusion culling etc and the boss ending to finalise.. then it'll be ready (well in my book anyway!) , phew.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  24. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Looks pretty sweet except for the blinking aspect.. In my opinion.. the blinking should not be included. Us as people already blink.. which causes a millisecond of blackness, including the game to have a "blinking" feature is almost like having a person double blink, now it'd be different if we "in real life" did not have to blink then we could have a persistent view on the screen and simulate blinking. :p

However if you must keep it, the speed of which the blink happens is far too slow. ^_^

Other than that, looking great and nice start!

25. khos85

khos85

Cool :) Many thanks for taking a look and your feedback, I have a "allow blinking" option on the intro page so it can be turned off , probably not many games out there with a blinking option like that I reckon.. anyway... good feedback, the blink is probably a bit slow you are right. Thanks again for looking, much appreciated.

26. khos85

khos85

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. khos85

khos85

Wow, I cannot believe the game is greenlit on Steam! Onwards and upwards hey, game is near completion and will be ready on steam in a few weeks hopefully. Thanks to everyone that visited and voted, very much appreciated.

28. khos85

khos85

Working on adding Debris details (rocks etc made in blender) at the moment, also feature where you can spawn/grab/drop objects, scale then to use those to build bridges etc to get to other levels:

Wonder what your thoughts are, comments would be very welcome.

29. khos85

khos85

Updated with:Exploding Rocks, more details, catch falling debris, build new and scale,

Next: Exploring nicer looking materials for walls maybe? Thoughts on if I should do this welcome!

Added a very nice grass (DirectX11 grass):

I think it gives a nice added dessert/dry/wind effect.
    Also added camera shake with impacts..
    Continuing to add lots more details.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  30. khos85

khos85

UPDATE:
    Been updating some more, added a Jetpack to get on to the very high platforms (I mean these are really high!) and that works great which I'm happy about, added the block builder, now you can create blocks, scale/move/rotate as you like, build things like bridges, added lots more details and audio, cutscenes... optimised drawcalls/LOD/Oclusion Culling/draw distances/.layerCullDistances...

The game is starting to take shape :)

Check out the new screenshots:

Feedback / thoughts / comments most welcome!

31. khos85

khos85

Amongst many other completed tasks not yet shown, I'm testing the practice area scene I added, having a bit of fun with creating some building blocks but blowing them up afterwards, checkout:

Comments are most welcome, or critique.

The building blocks can be used to make things like bridges or protection areas from falling debris in game, or just create and shoot them :)
    Game is almost ready for release, just a BOSS battles and puzzles to add.

32. khos85

khos85

Working on final boss battle:
    <snip>

And loads more surprises...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  33. khos85

khos85

I'm Looking for a few Beta testers as the game nears completion, to give feedback on gameplay etc, you'll get a free copy of the game of course. Anyone that is interested please contact me asap via message, ideally on steam. Many thanks.

34. khos85

khos85

Hi, I'm busy making an updated trailer for this, I'd appreciate your views, do you think it works or not:
    <<<<snip>>>>
    Might be trying to explain the various features too much? Is it boring?
    What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  35. HolBol

HolBol

• Too long
    • Needs camera smoothing
    • I don't like reading. Show, don't tell.

36. khos85

khos85

Thanks Fishman92 :)

37. khos85

khos85

New trailer v2, working on it:

Opinions welcome of course!

38. HolBol

HolBol

Something to add to my previous list:
    • Don't show game menus in the trailer.

39. khos85