Search Unity

AL Male Civilians Pack for UMA

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lgz, May 28, 2014.

1. lgz

lgz

We would like to announce new character cloth pack for Unity. (click the image to see running webplayer demo)

$cloths1.png

It is based on the UMA system by Fernarndo Riberio and uses his base character Dionysus: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14658

We do hope that we will be able to put it in the Asset Store within a week or two, but first we need to fix a few issues ;)

Have fun!

~luk

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Nice work! Loving it! Would be an instant buy for me. I'd hope for an (introductory) prizing below 10€. What other packs have you planned? I am also looking for overalls, jackets, glasses, hats, shoes, gloves, sports, helmets, beards, hairs :) Are you also following up with a pack for women?

3. goat

goat

Would like to see a line up without repeated clothing articles then will know better what I'd pay, not 10 fingers. ;-)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  4. lgz

lgz

Thank you guys for a kind words ;)

First of all crowd random generation script will require some work to make it less repetitive visually ... :D
    But for now pack contains 10 cloth slots, 16 texture overlays (10 base + 6 minor variants), and 3 character slot fixes (we are trying to have replaceable body parts, as doubling hidden geometry is not the best idea imho )

- torso : shirt, tshirt, hoodie and sweatshirt
    - legs : trousers, jeanses, shorts and cargo pants
    - shoes: smartshoes and sneakers

About pricing... well - each piece of garment requires a few days of work (we are creating higres geometry, bake normal/ao/curvature/base textures , and finally merge them and polish manually)...
    We want to deliver quality in reasonable price, but we need to make for living so we will try to make single character available under 10€, but selling a whole pack at such price (which btw will be extended soon) would not be best decision for us - please compare what is available ;)

About the women pack - yes, we started creating it, but again - it depends if we will be able to pay our billls ..

regards
    ~luk

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  5. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I counted the distinct parts and said to myself that it looks very promising ;-) But yes, a cloth line-up would be even better!

6. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

@lgz: fully understand the efforts you have. I do this stuff myself and it eats way too much time... looking forward to your release and hopefully lots of people will like and buy it so that you can afford to publish more.

7. lgz

lgz

OK - So here is the line-up of the real pack content for today (10 base geometries with 10 primary textures ;)
    (Sorry for the late answer but I was fighting some weighting issues in the Blender ;) )
    As you can see (comparing to the live) adding a few custom textures and colorizing base variant can make a difference ;)

$cloth2.png

~luk

PS
    And yes - we should haveat least one LOD level - as 1040 tris for just a jeans is not mobile friendly :D

8. lgz

lgz

but I just love the power of the UMA - although full randomization can make it a bit creepy :D

Attached Files:

9. UnLogick

UnLogick

I came back from Vacation and this is what I see?

Absolutely love it!

10. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Keep it up!! We need more of this!!

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  11. Whippets

Whippets

That's brilliant - Just what UMA needs.
    Look forward to a similar set for females too. It's always good to have male and female versions of all clothing :) Cracking work though, count me in as a purchaser XD

12. goat

goat

OK, I understand. I will buy when this come out if I can afford it.

13. lgz

lgz

Actually we have single piece of cloth for women ready :D

wcloth0.png

But it is far far away from having a woman cloth pack (even jeans have to be redone - as proportions are totally different ;) )

BTW there is a new build for a webplayer demo with some weighting fixes - but this time with random dna and character editing reenabled ;)

http://alien-lab.com/webplayer_buildz/umamale01.html

regards
    ~luk

14. goat

goat

I remember when women used to wear clothing like that in the US. Where do you live to have designed a jacket like that for a women? I don't think I've seen that since the late '60s when I was a baby.

15. lgz

lgz

burberry pattern is texturing test evergreen for me :)

16. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

How is the male pack progressing? Any estimate yet on availability? Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

PS: newest web player looks very cool already. Shader is a little bit too much like plastic for my taste and the short cargo pants seem a little bit too wide which results in a high risk to intersect with each other.

17. lgz

lgz

writing readme right now ;) hoping to submit tonight :D

18. ecurtz

ecurtz

Aghhh, why don't they have any eyes?!

Seriously though, looks like a great pack. There seem to be some small issues with the collar on the dress shirt in the web player. I can't tell if it's the normals or maybe just a weighting issue?

19. lgz

lgz

Aaarghh! They have eyes, and pig noses, and elves ears in the asset store version - and they look bit creepy! :)

Finally we made a submission, pending review now, so in the meantime - here is the webplayer wersion of build 0.90 (one sent to the Asset Store - based on the UMA 1.1.0.0, without Dyonisus skin. )
    http://alien-lab.com/webplayer_buildz/umamale_assetstore.html

Unfortunately there are some differences between latest git version of UMA (one I was working on recently) and the asset store version so I decided to make our first build totally based on the UMA 1.1.0.0. It will be much easier to track changes later....

And about the issues.
    Collar weighting -> I tried to find a compromise between nice neck rotation and good look of the collar, but some extreme proportions settings (extremely large head vs extremely thin neck or small upper frame.. or vice versa) are just too hard to match (for me at least ) .Maybe there should be some additional rules coded (but hey! it is 0.90 aka first public version of the cloth pack, and the guys are working hard on expanding the base system :) )...

Shaders -> that's interesting question... UMA/Bumped Specular is an interesting shader (especially if it goes to reducing draw calls/memory usage) but have some quirks... I must admit that I have still problems with specular/gloss textuing - and I would like to solve it for the next update. Tho I need to consult with the UMA guys first .

Shorts proportions -> Let's hope it will be only the one piece of cloths with possible intersections problems :D

~regards
    luk

20. lgz

lgz

21. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

A roadmap will be very nice? :D what are you'r plans with this asset and the (hopefully) female pack :D 10x and good luck

22. lgz

lgz

hmmm roadmap... seems to be a good idea :) I will need to discuss it with the highres guy :)

23. Goldrake

Goldrake

Waiting for the Woman also!!

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  24. Teila

Teila

Jackets like this are back in style! Women's clothing tends to repeat itself.

Love the jacket and the Burberry! Can't wait to see what you have next.

goat and lgz like this.
  25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Great to see it´s on AssetStore!!! =D Congratz!

26. lgz

lgz

27. lgz

lgz

We had a long talk and it looks like we will make female cloth 'mini pack' now... But first we will add 'legacy' male cloth models (as mentioned before - we use special base geometry fixes to make clothes looks better and save tricount - but as it appeared it may require extra effort on the user side to make it working, so we will add this 'legacy' mode ASAP).
    In further plans we want to add lower resolution versions (mobile friendly - or LOD ), and expand the content (man highres linen suit already looks nice - but we have to go for women pack now ;) )
    ~regards

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  28. goat

goat

Cool. I've hearted as I have to wait to buy friends visiting soon and we decided to go panning for gold and gemstones and I bought 2 of each gold panning equipment as tourist gifts. LOL, costs much more than any gold or gems we'll likely to find.

At any rate, your clothing packs are ideal to test some scripts I'm working on and at less that $50 so I'm happy. Thanks.

Please post here when you get the 'legacy' mode in the asset store.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  29. lgz

lgz

Sorry for late reply - email 'watch thread' doesn;t post edits We may need a few days more to post this update...

Btw - nice that you like it :)

30. goat

goat

:) Morris the Cat has nothing on me.

31. Whippets

Whippets

Any news here? Pricing is good, though need more clothing items - cargo pants, boots of various types, underwear, long coats, and of course all the same for females too. Keep it up so I can throw more money at you XD

32. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Bought your asset and there is a lot of good stuff there. I especially like how you organized the folders and named the IDs. I got other UMA assets and some are horribly organized.

I also found three errors though so far. I tried to add the T-Shirt and it seems to have incorrect weights. The skin is shining through. The same seems to happen for the feet and the short pants as well. See screenshots below. I am using latest Asset Store UMA + Unity 4.5.1p2. Any ideas how to fix this? I have quite some other UMA assets and it happens for none of them so I really suspect the slots are not 100% correct.

al_shortpants_error.PNG al_tshirt_error.PNG

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  33. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, that's a weights problem, but also currently UMA doesn't remove hidden surfaces, so you can save a lot by not including any body parts that are totally covered, like legs and feet in the above picture.

34. lgz

lgz

Hi!

Actually this is not a weight problem - we use special body parts replacements (pls take a look at the AL_MaleAlt* body parts ('alt' for alternative) and usage in crowd generation random sets), as layering *over* existing body is neither efficient (no hidden vertices removal) nor looks good (things got kind of bulky look)

But since it may require extra effort to code special rules ( cases when to replace body parts - although in example scene I just followed uma crowd genaration rules using requirement param - and it works ;) ) I am just finishing 'legacy' slots - ones which don't require extra coding and will match over uma body.

I hope that i will be able to finish it and post the update to the Asset Store tonight :- (along with some other fixes and one or two more textures ;) )

regards

~luk

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  35. lgz

lgz

Hi!

I am finishing some fixes for the current content (see post before), and next thing will be some basic female pack....
    But since my friend who makes last touches for textures is busy with some gigs, there is a chance that i will add male low poly version before that .....

~regards
    luk

36. lgz

lgz

grayrun.png

'escapees on the run' ;)

As you can see 'legacy' models are done (under the clothes there are full UMA avatars visible on the wireframe view. )
    Double checking update content / adding release notes can take a few hours more (maybe some sleep in the meantime), and then... asset store processing

37. Whippets

Whippets

looking great XD

For females, if you're making new body slots, can you please make a bra that sort of pushes breasts together as it would in the real world. Some of the clothing I've seen for females just looks odd with natural braless breasts.

Your new base geometry is an excellent idea - very easy to code for those of us building UMAs entirely in code

38. lgz

lgz

good point :)
    I need to discuss it with the highres guy .
    Looks like we need a long conference with a lot of reference photos :D
    ~regards

39. lgz

lgz

It took a little bit longer than I expected, but it looks like 0.95v is available on the Asset Store ;).

40. Whippets

Whippets

How's it going on the female pack or more male clothing?

41. lgz

lgz

I am busy with some coding now :( , but i hope i will be able to get back to female pack in a week or so.... (especially that there is a chance that uma 1.2 will be released in the meantime)

42. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, Fernando is putting up a new version soon :)

43. hopeful

hopeful

Thought I'd chime in and add my support for a female clothing pack.

The male pack looks great. Hoping to see a lot of female clothing that doesn't repeat what the males have.

44. goat

goat

Bought 0.95 of the Male Pack. I look forward to the Female Pack.

45. hopeful

hopeful

I know you probably have plans for what you'd like to do after the female pack is released, but may I suggest a uniforms pack?

There would be male and female models in it for: doctor, policeman / sheriff / highway patrol, military dress / field, high end business suit (for politicians, billionaires, lawyers, and master criminals), lower end business suit (salesman, office worker, detective), jumpsuit with hard hat (for sewer, warehouse, electrical, construction, etc.), beggar's clothes, and maybe party / nightclub clothes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  46. lgz

lgz

Sorry for the late reply... We had crazy 3 weeks.
    Texturing guy is still MIA (and without his work, we - highres guys and me - have just fine UMA geometry slots and fine normal maps, and believe me - there is a difference if there are also fine diff/spec textures ;) ).)...
    About uniforms pack - would love to - to have contemporary packs finished..
    ~regards

PS
    Keep the thumbs up. If the demo reel work out, we should be able to make more models ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  47. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks for considering the uniforms pack! If anyone wants to show people at work in the world, that list should do a good job of covering it.

lgz likes this.
  48. IFL

IFL

@lgz - Any news on the female pack? If/when it's done, I'll get both.

49. lgz

lgz

@IFL... I must admit that we got stuck with the females... :(
    I just don't know how to force our texturing guy to finish the job he promised to do (he was paid with advance).... For the second month he says he is busy...
    And we've got only 4 textures ready for 12 model slots :(...

50. IFL

IFL

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully your texturing guy soon finds some time for the remaining 8 models.

lgz likes this.