Search Unity

AI Behaviors Made Easy! (Walker Boys)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by profcwalker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does anyone know if the $45 price is the new price or if the price drop has already happened? I am thinking of getting this asset but I don't know what the final price is. Thanks

2. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi SuperNewbee,

This is the new reduced price as of a few hours ago :)

Thanks,
    Nathan

3. WernerFB

WernerFB

Hi Nathan

Again thanks for a great product, i read through the previous 31 pages and saw 'flying' might or might not be implemented in the future.

Is there a cheap cheat way of using a vertical navmesh but still using a horizontal navmes (rotating the camera to look down at a navmesh wont work because i still need a 2nd dimension to a second navmesh)
    Character walks on horizontal, fish/birds use vertical navmesh. The fish birds can be on a single horizontal plane no need for z depth for my needs.

I cant get this to work, if anyone has a solution to use this wonderful addition to unity within a flying/swimming up down scenario as well as normal navmesh base, please share your thoughts.

Thanks
    Werner

4. sonicviz

sonicviz

$10 https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14076 using UnitySteer 2.7 for basic steering, which could be easily adapted to a random 3D waypoint generation system as well as adding more advanced steering behaviours

5. WernerFB

WernerFB

Thanks Sonicviz i will look into this

6. yifu

yifu

Hi, Nathan,
    I did exactlly, what you said in the post to set up my AI patrol.
    But it seems it tries to move, but it didn't.
    Initial state is idle and time trigger is set to 3.
    it does everything correctly from idle state to patrol state.
    But in patrol state, I can tell it tries to do the right thing.
    The animation is correct.
    The problem is that my character position isn't moving at all.
    It just keeps playing walking animation at where he is and since it never reaches the node, it is just stuck in that state .
    Maybe my mecanim is setup up wrong.
    I have been trying to figure this out, maybe you guys can help me out.

7. HelixU4

HelixU4

Is there a way to have the AI to ignore the gravity? i.e for a fish underwater...
    Does not look pretty when the fish is hugging the terrain while moving :)

8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

if you use Aaron pathfinding, there is example scene where you can block some unit in some zone, you can use that for fishes and water

someone had Experience with RVO controller from Aaron pathfinding with ABME?
    is it expensive on mobile?

9. sonicviz

sonicviz

Look at https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12668 , though you will have to code your own collision avoidance system.
    The bird one I mentioned above "$10 https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14076 using UnitySteer 2.7 for basic steering, which could be easily adapted to a random 3D waypoint generation system as well as adding more advanced steering behaviours" uses unitysteer which has obstacle avoidance.

I'm still in the process of prototyping a test of this myself in between other projects.

10. shadow-river

shadow-river

Hi, I Have been looking at this package and this is exactly what I need and am considering buying this. the only thing is, is that I'm using unity free version. is there a way to use this without getting the A* path-finding package. in my current project I already have Rain installed (but am unhappy with it,) is there an easy way to use "Rains" Nav-mesh with "AI Behaviors" or am I best to get the A* package and follow the tutorial on your web site.
    Thank you in advance.

11. ermak86

ermak86

Hello,

First of all I am not coder, and I am using Playmaker.
    I have one question.

How I can manually GET and SET "AI Behavior state" (Idle, Patrol, Follow...) from my C# script?

For example:
    - I want to GET current active state NAME of "avatar_complete" object AS STRING (Name: Idle, Patrol, CustomAttack2...).
    - I want to SET current active state to another: for example "Idle to Patrol"
    - I need to made all of this from my own C# script, not from "Unity Inspector Window"

P.S. btw "HEALTH" parameter from Inspector can be get easy in Playmaker with "Get Property":
    $health.jpg

Thanks!

12. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

There seems to be a lot of updates lately (thanks for that) but can you please update the website with the latest release notes so we can check what has changed before installing an update?

Thanks.

13. Gua

Gua

I'm also interested in this, cause I use Playmaker.

14. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

We probably should do that. One main reason why we've forgotten to update it is because all of the release notes are on the asset store page. If you click on the version number you'll get the release notes all the way back from version 1.4.6 up to the current release which is 1.7

15. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Shadow River,

There are two options.

First, the secret that Unity didn't make a huge announcement about is that Unity Free now allows for nav mesh baking as of 4.3, not just the Pro version anymore. It's only off-mesh links and maybe a few other things that require Pro.

Second, the Astar Pathfinding project is free unless you wish to use his pro version. From what I've seen is that his free version is very robust and will likely handle most people's needs.

Let me know if I can answer your question any better, :)
    Nathan

16. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi ermak,

I'm not familiar with Play Maker, but how you would change the state can be by name, index or by instance. The methods exist on the AIBehaviors component and look like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. // pass in the name such as "Idle" or "My Really Awesome Patrol"
    3. public void ChangeActiveStateByName(string stateName)
    5. // The index is the same as how they appear in the inspector
    6. public void ChangeActiveStateByIndex(int index)
    8. // You can simply pass an instance of the state into this method, actually it doesn't even have to exist on the AI itself, it can be somewhere completely seperate or made on the fly
    9. public void ChangeActiveState(BaseState newState)
    These are how you can get an instance of a state:

Code (csharp):
    2. public BaseState[] GetAllStates()
    4. public BaseState GetStateByIndex(int stateIndex)
    6. public BaseState GetStateByName(string stateName)
    8. public T GetState<T> () where T : BaseState // IE. BaseState patrolState = ai.GetState<PatrolState>();
    10. public BaseState GetState(System.Type type) // IE. BaseState patrolState = ai.GetState(typeof(PatrolState));
    12. public T[] GetStates<T> () where T : BaseState
    14. public BaseState[] GetStates(System.Type type)
    Again, I'm not familiar with Play Maker, so please let me know if this points you in the right direction or not :)

Thanks,
    Nathan

17. ermak86

ermak86

Thanks Nathan, but I really don't know how to do this.

Please, can you see these pictures:
    $1.jpg
    $2.jpg
    $3.jpg
    $4.jpg

Current active state is with green background. And on game "runtime" is changed from triggers.
    I need to get "EveryFrame" (during runtime) current state name from my C# script to string variable.
    Also sometime will be usefull if I can change current active state (with green background) during
    runtime to another state, again from my own C# script.

18. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Let me see if I can answer this with some code :)

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using AIBehavior;
    6. public class MyScript : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     AIBehaviors ai;
    11.     // Use this for initialization
    12.     void Awake ()
    13.     {
    14.         ai = GetComponent<AIBehaviors>();
    15.     }
    18.     // Update is called once per frame
    19.     void Update ()
    20.     {
    21.         // This will get you the current state's name such as MyCustomFlee
    22.         string stateName = ai.currentState.name;
    24.         // This will change the AI into using the idle state
    25.         IdleState idleState = ai.GetState<IdleState>();
    26.         ai.ChangeActiveState(idleState);
    28.         // This will change the AI into using the state named MyCustomFlee if it exists
    29.         ai.ChangeActiveStateByName("MyCustomFlee");
    30.     }
    31. }

19. ermak86

ermak86

Thank you so much!

This is the final variant:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. using AIBehavior;
    6. public class AIBehavior_Playmaker_Connect : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public string CurrentActiveState = "";
    9.     public string ChangeStateTo = "";
    11.     AIBehaviors ai;
    13.     // Use this for initialization
    14.     void Awake ()
    15.     {
    16.         ai = GetComponent<AIBehaviors>();
    17.     }
    19.     // Use this for initialization
    20.     void Start () {
    22.     }
    24.     // Update is called once per frame
    25.     void Update ()
    26.     {
    27.         // This will get you the current state's name such as MyCustomFlee
    28.         CurrentActiveState = ai.currentState.name;
    30.         // This will change the AI into using the idle state
    31.         //IdleState idleState = ai.GetState<IdleState>();
    32.         //ai.ChangeActiveState(idleState);
    34.         // This will change the AI into using the state named MyCustomFlee if it exists
    35.         ai.ChangeActiveStateByName(ChangeStateTo);
    36.     }
    37. }
    For anyone who want to use Playmaker with AI Behavior - see this picture:
    $AIBehavior_Playmaker_Connect.jpg

Now is easy to manipulate "current AI state" and change it to another, from Playmaker.

Thanks, again :)

20. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi ermak, I'm glad I could help and I'm really glad you got it working for you! :)

21. RowdyMrB

RowdyMrB

Does AI Behavior have a state that performs obstacle avoidance much like UnitySteer dies?

22. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi RowdyMrB,

AI Behavior isn't actually a pathfinding solution which is where avoidance is typically handled, but a logic system which tells your AI entity where to go and what to do (move here, attack that, go this fast). We allow you to use any pathfinding system you wish. By default, we use Unity's builtin Nav system (which now allows you to bake nav meshes in Unity Free as of 4.3). Also, if you're not familiar with Unity's Nav system, it includes avoidance by default as well.

Most of the mature pathfinding solutions like Aron Granberg's Astar Pathfinding Project can be incorporated with just a few lines of code. This is included in our video tutorials. Actually, as of recently we've added a menu option to enable Aron's system without you having to write any code.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,
    Nathan :)

23. RowdyMrB

RowdyMrB

Thank you your response was helpful

24. Gua

Gua

Thx for the script. But there a lot pf problems with it. For example when I activate dead state using playmaker it loops dead animation. Animation works fine when I activate it using other methods. Or when I activate a Seek state it seeks player, but totally ignores extra options to forget about player after some time. This also works fine if I active it, not from playmaker. By the way, I of course don't use every frame option. I'm not a programmer, but looks like the problem with the script is that it set's active state every frame no matter what.

I'm using this and it works perfectly. Just need to figure out, how to check for the dead state. (Update: This is where your script is useful).

$7dd15f329e488175109ba754dcc97fe5.png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  25. ermak86

ermak86

Yes "EveryFrame"! Because "CurrentActiveState" and "ChangeStateTo"are in void Update ().
    You can change them to void Start/Awake or use Diasable/Enable component (AIBehavior_Playmaker_Connect script)
    from Playmaker, this work too. Just use "ChangeStateTo" only if you need it, not EveryFrame.

Also you can "Duplicate" and modify this script for different purposes. It was example script.

Yes i know... will be better if we have official Playmaker actions for AI Behavior, but...for now "GET/SET property" is enought.

26. benWal

benWal

Hello there,

I was wondering if AI behavior is optimized(or at least some of its function ) for Android application ?
    Thx guy, i m really looking for this kind of script and i hope it s the case. If it is, you've got yourself a new customer :)

27. RowdyMrB

RowdyMrB

In the General AI Properties of the AIBehaviors GUI is a section with an Add and Remove button and a selection box. The section is after Health and before Animation Component Callback. What is that selection for? The documentation does not mention it. Looking through the script it seems to just be the the tag associated with the object the script is assigned to.

28. IM_A_CAT_AMA

IM_A_CAT_AMA

Any documentation available to see before purchasing it?

29. RowdyMrB

RowdyMrB

Anyone been able to get AIBahaviors and A* integration to work? I have the latest versions of both and the directions from the instruction videos don't seem to do the job. Getting namespace errors on the PathResponder script.....By the way Nathan ignore my previous post. I figured that one out by digging into the packaged examples.

30. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi I have found that follow state don't work with mecanim character. It just goes past the player. I tried a legacy character and the follow state works so is this a bug with using mecanim. The Idle and patrol state works with mecanim character though.

P.S. I worked out that the legacy character won't work in my own scene but it works in the demo scene. I did the navigation mesh aswell. Has anyone else have this problem. Maybe just wasted my money. The scene i am using is the postapocalyptic zombie town on the asset store and I'm using the legacy zombie character pack and the mixamo zombie character pack.

P.S.S. Sorry for the edits but I made a new scene with just 1 road segment. I used the legacy character and it didn't work again. I made a prefab of character then opened up the demo scene. I put the character in scene then it worked then i decided to make another prefab of character and then opened my scene then i dragged that prefab into scene then it decided to work. That's weird how i have to do that but although i did change the setting of the navigation to be exactly like the demo and also changed from auto to mecanim even though it's a legacy character.

Sorry again I think I may have found where i went wrong. The visual obstruction layers setting was set to everything then i changed it to mixed then it worked. Can someone please explain what that setting is used for because i can't find a tutorial that has explain that. Like in my scene i just have 1 road segment, what if i put buildings in there to make the player invicible to the zombie. Do i have to put buildings on a different layer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  31. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi I know the first person controller that comes with AI behaviour can kill zombie or any other character. I'm using the UFPS camera so i was wondering how to kill the character with this. I know you send a message "Damage" tho. I'm having trouble having the zombie kill the player as well as the player to kill the zombie.

32. joosenWPL

joosenWPL

Hi,

First off, I love the AI!
    Looks great, works great, the code is clean and the AI editor is very nice. I'm using it with the Astar pathfinding.

I first used the AI fantasy 2.0, it's ok, but doesn't come near Ai behavior made easy.

I only have 2 comments:

1. A support forum, having a 32 pages thread here is just messy... Multiple discussions inside 1 thread isn't easy to manage and read imho.
    A simple phpbb forum is setup in minuts.

2. Please don't place so many youtube movies on 1 page. Here in this thread and on the Walker Boys tutorial page. I recommend an image with href to a nice modal popup youtube player or something. The page load time will be significantly lower and my FF flash plugin will like it ;-).

Please note they're only comments, its obvious how much work has gone in making this beautifull AI.

Thanks

bonkorama likes this.
  33. joosenWPL

joosenWPL

Hi Wendy,

The 'visual obstruction layer' does what it says it does :D.

If set to everything the charactar simply will be blind, because every avaidable layer will block its visual. For me it was also default set on everything.. Don't know why, but default nothing would be better.
    So if you don't want the zombies to look through buildings, set the building layer there.

Note, it doesn't influence every state, patrol for example.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  34. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Ben, it should work very well on mobile. The main performance hogs when I do profiling when using it are the Unity components themselves such as NavMeshAgent and Obstacle Avoidance. These are pretty well optimized as well, but tend to be much heavier than AI Behavior itself. Let me know if you find anything that isn't working as optimized as you think it should and we'll take a look into optimizing it.

Hello IM_A_CAT, we have video tutorials and API documentation here.

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/aibehavior/index.html

Hi Rowdy, these tags are tags that the AI is reacting to. This would mainly include triggers but also a few states like Attack. So if you changed the tag from "Player" to "Enemy" (if you have an enemy tag setup in the tags list) then the AI would start reacting to objects tagged with Enemy instead of Player

Have you tried out just using the menu option? If you have the latest AStar, the menu option "AI Behavior > Other > Astar Pathfinding Project Setup" should become available. Let me know if that gives you any trouble.

Hi Wendy, we really like the UFPS system here.

UFPS handles the messaging from the projectile itself. So, for instance on the "PistolBullet" object in the Project view you can set the "Damage Method Name" variable to Damage. Then on the AI, place the script below.

Since the damage amount comes from the projectile itself, this is likely the only script you need if you're using the default UFPS weapons.

One final note is to make sure you're AI has a GotHitState and that it transitions into something else (probably using a timer trigger).

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using AIBehavior;
    5. public class DamageReceiver : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     AIBehaviors ai;
    10.     void Awake()
    11.     {
    12.         ai = GetComponent<AIBehaviors>();
    13.     }
    16.     // Update is called once per frame
    17.     void Damage (float amount)
    18.     {
    19.         ai.GotHit(amount);
    20.     }
    21. }

Thanks for the compliments Joosen and the suggestions. We took the videos off of the first post last year due to that same issue but I didn't notice the web site still had a full page of them. We'll take a look at putting up a forum, but I can't promise we will, however I completely agree that it does get messy very quickly. IE this post I'm writing could be multiple threads in a forum.

35. jotunheim

jotunheim

Hi Guys,

It seems a nice and great AI system but I looked on the video and it didn't say anything about how to assign AI to a customised character rather than the biped I saw on the video... I there any instructions about that?

36. jchapman723

jchapman723

I'm loving this product so far. I have a question with regard to mecanim and melee attacks.

I've been following the tutorial on your youtube page for handling mecanim animations. I set my controller up just like the example in the Demo Scene. It's looking awesome (a million times better than legacy already) but my problem is that the character doesn't play his melee attack animation when he reaches the player. The attack state lights up, but the character just plays his Idle and I get this console error:

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

37. msaif

msaif

Hi
    You should change "AttackState.cs" script.
    Line 50: animationLength =1.0f; //attackAnimation[attackAnimName] != null ? attackAnimation[attackAnimName].length : 1.0f;
    It is bug. I think the error occurred in updating 1.7.2

38. jchapman723

jchapman723

Thanks msaif - works like a charm!

39. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi jotunheim, are you using the Legacy system? If so, there's no difference as far as our plugin goes in setting up one or the other. There would possibly be a difference if you're using mecanim since you wouldn't neccesarily have the foot placement using a non-bipedal character if you were using something like a quadraped.

Let me know if I can clarify further or if you have any more questions :)

40. will_brett

will_brett

Hi there, What do I need to do to create a custom trigger. Is there a tutorial already that I have missed? Thank you

41. will_brett

will_brett

42. daisySa

daisySa

I'm getting the same issue, but without the console messages (I'm on 1.7.3 though). It looks like AttackData is null so my attack method isn't executed.

Does anyone else have this issue?

43. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Will, I'm glad you found it :)

Hi Daisy, do you have a project you could possibly send us using the "Contact Us" at the bottom of the AI Behavior menu?

44. daisySa

daisySa

Nathan, thanks for your help in resolving this - it's all working perfectly now.

45. rsmith

rsmith

Hi,

First of all, great package, definitely one of the best on the asset store.

I need to have multiple attack animations to go with the Attack State but I don't know how to go about doing it. I saw a tutorial for custom states and triggers but I couldn't find anything on setting up more than just one Attack animation for the AI. How do I go about doing that with the FSM? Which pieces of code do I need to change and what kind of mods do I need to make without breaking the FSM. I'm quite lost so any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  46. will_brett

will_brett

Hi there

I've watched the custom trigger video buy I can not figure out how to trigger new actions with a bool. Im sure this is quite simple to do but I can not figure it out.

Would really appreciate some help as I'm so close to having a basic first pass of my game complete.

Thank you

47. will_brett

will_brett

Also withindistancetrigger is not working for me. I have an object that is supposed to attack if another object comes within a distance.

Both game objects have rigidbodys attached. they each have separate tags and are on different layers. the visual obstruction is switched off for the other objects layer. Im really not sure why its not working, i've gone through both example scenes and cant see anything different.

48. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi Guys, I have 2 questions:
    1. Similar to Will's above - I have 2 triggers set from idle state.
    If the bot sees the player, or the player comes within a distance, it should trigger a follow state.
    Individually, both triggers work. When put together in an OR state, the bot just runs in place and doesn't move.

$WBerror.jpg

2. Is there a Roam/Wander state in which my bot will just randomly walk around the map?
    NB: I'm using the astar project for navigation.

49. will_brett

will_brett

Ok so fixed the withinDistanceTrigger. But still not able to get the bool to work. A little tick box appears in the inspector that lets me trigger the function but its not happening automatically.

The reason the withinDistanceTrigger wasnt working was because the enemy was still attached to the defender prefab so it was switching back to a different tag

50. daisySa

daisySa

I'm doing exactly the same thing, but I use the Seek state (rather than Follow) and it works fine. Try changing both triggers to Seek, it should work (I think they're looking at removing Follow anyway).