Advanced Game Design With Unity

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by GargerathSunman, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Update: These tutorials are now no longer for sale on unity-tutorials.com. The webmaster has decided he wants to own all assets thereof, and I'm letting him. I still hold the rights to my tutorials, so I'm now looking for a location to host everything.

I'm willing to allow for a complete rights transfer in the process, all I need is a lump sum for the rights to them.

I am pleased to announce the release of the first recording in the Advanced Tutorial Set. It's now on sale on the website. You can view a preview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvL4bihLUQ

It covers a large portion of Unity Physics and clocks in at 48:01. Due to the large size increase between basic and advanced tutorials, the price per tutorial for this set is $14.95. The final set price will be determined once I have exhausted all the topics that I lined up and that have been requested.

Hinges aren't covered due to the fact that they're a tutorial in and of themselves. They will be covered in the advanced set, though.

Incidentally, I'm looking for ideas for tutorials. If you want your idea included (I'll give you credit for it even....), just PM me. I'll release a Q&A tutorial when I get five or so questions. I will answer them all as thoroughly as I can.

As new recordings are complete, I'll edit this post and add it to the list.

• Physics, 48:01 - Purchasable on website
    - Five Example Scenes
    - Fourteen Scripts

• Particles, 59:44 - Purchasable on website
    - Four Example Scenes
    - Six Scripts

• Input Managers, 28:25 - Purchasable on website
    - Eleven Scripts
    -*Feature-Complete Arcade Game
    -*Internet-Compatible Input Manager

• 2D Mechanics, 47:54 - Purchasable on website
    - Eight Scripts
    - Example 2D-3D Scene

•*Animation, 32:35 - Purchasable on website
    - Two Scripts
    - Animation Testing Script
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. UtopianGames

UtopianGames

I would love to see a tutorial for the PC unity 2.5 which shows me how to make a monkey ball/gooball game.

Mouse controls tilt screen and keyboard to move.

I would pay for this as ive just started making some concepts http://utopiangames.blogspot.com/and my team will be making it one way or another :)

Darren.
  3. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Sounds straightforward enough! I'll add it to the list of requests.

PC Unity isn't really different from Mac Unity, as far as I know..... I only have it on a MacBook Pro, so it'll be hard to do it inside the PC editor.
  4. UtopianGames

UtopianGames

Looking at the Monkey ball games its the world or platforms that tilt and rotate with the users input so could you add in analogue joystick scripts in the tutorial as were planning on releasing for a few platforms.

Darren.
  5. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Shouldn't be too hard.
  6. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

After reading a few comments and looking at the sheer volume of scenes and examples I'm ending up going over for the advanced tutorials, I'm packaging all the assets shown in the tutorial and including in alongside the recordings.

There occasionally will be a bug where a crash report comes up when importing the packages. This is rare on the system I'm testing it on, but it does occur, so be sure to save anything you're working on before importing the packages. As always, if you have an error or bug relating to the recordings, please send a report to the customer service section of unity-tutorials.com. I will respond as fast as I can to any requests for assistance.

In other news, the Advanced Particles tutorial has been completed! The file is being uploaded to the website now and should be available by the end of today. I'm also re-uploading the physics tutorial with all project files packaged alongside it, so if you've purchased it already, you should get an email with an updated link later.

A trailer is viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQ3ZtKy95g

Edit: It's all set up and ready for orders!
  7. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The Advanced Input Managers tutorial is out and available on the website! Its product page will probably be up sometime over the next couple of days, but the purchase button will be added to the website momentarily.

The new tutorial weighs in at 28:25, contains seven models, sixteen prefabs, three scenes, eleven scripts, six sounds, a music track, seven textures, an input manager compatible with internet play, and a fully functional short 2D arcade game.

Considering you can get all of the above for the price of a pizza, be sure to give it a try!

The teaser link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBS3OLpOLJA

Oh, and for those that have been asking, the next advanced tutorial is on how to create a 2D game using 3D and 2D art.
  8. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I am pleased to announce the release of the 2D Mechanics tutorial! It covers the use of 2D sprites, basic 2D animation, using Unity colliders to create 2D physics, restricting movement to a 2D plane, and basic platforming mechanics.

It weighs in at 47:54 and includes two scenes, seven models, thirteen textures, fourteen prefabs, eight scripts, and a configured terrain for the brief 3D-2D example.

As always, you can buy it at Unity-Tutorials.com. In order to assist with that, we have recently added a cart system to replace the old button system. Using it, you'll now be able to order multiple items without having to go through PayPal more than once. (A small feature, I know, but still useful.)

The link to purchase will be up sometime Wednesday, but for now, the teaser link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2oxVLcStbk
  9. bobber205

bobber205

These look excellent. I think I'll have to buy the basics tutorial package and the 2D for sure this weekend. :)
  10. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Many thanks! Feel free to send me a comment when you've had a chance to try them out. I always accept criticism, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve my style or suggestions for future tutorials.
  11. bobber205

bobber205

I'm thrilled there's finally a good 2D tutorial out there. I love video tutorials. :D
  12. Wadoman

Wadoman

OK so just curious how long it takes to get my download links. I purchased yesterday I haven't received anything yet.
  13. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

When you purchase you have to go through to the confirmation page for it to be caught automatically. Just PM me the paypal confirmation and I'll get it sent to you manually.
  14. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well, due to feedback I'd gotten from the 2D Mechanics tutorial, I realized that glazing over how to handle sprite sheets probably wasn't a good idea. As such, I've uploaded a four-minute quickie onto Youtube to address this problem. It's completely free, naturally, so be sure to give it a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxi8d2f5bc
  15. Wadoman

Wadoman

Thanks for making the short video on sprite sheets. I have not yet downloaded my copy of the 2d mech yet cause I'm out of town till wed. I'm curiuos if this short video will be apart of my download as well or is it only available on YouTube. Would be nice as part of the download.
    Thanks again
  16. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well, I repackaged everything including the new recording, but I won't have a chance to reupload until this evening. It essentially takes all the juice out of the internet connection and those who share it with me tend to take offense if they aren't sleeping.
  17. outtoplay

outtoplay

Will you send out emails or just post here when we can grab the full-rez lesson you previewed on Youtube?

It is quite good.

B.
  18. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well, I'll probably post here and see if I can target the mail directly at the people who purchased 2D Mechanics.

In any case, It's now up on the website, so anyone who purchased the 2D Mechanics tutorial can now re-download with the new movie attached.
  19. Wadoman

Wadoman

cool thanks again. I can't wait to get back home and download it.
  20. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The Advanced Animation tutorial has now been released! It covers how to play, stop, crossfade, and blend animated models to produce unique effects, it covers how to create a model with separable limbs, and it covers how to attach your animations to physics in order to produce a relatively realistic looking result.

It weighs in at 32:35, has three models, three textures, two scenes, two scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com.

The youtube trailer link is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFslZIROJU

Feel free to request small add-ons, as I tend to miss something every time I make one of these. If it's something that makes sense, I'll release it as a quickie on Youtube and attach it in movie form to the download.

The next tutorial I will be working on will be the first of the line of scripting tutorials, Practical Game AI.
  21. Discord

Discord

Just curious, what screen capture software do you use? Its very smooth.
  22. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Snapz Pro X from Ambrosia Software. It's amazing just what you find when you browse the utilities section of a game developer. :-D
  23. Discord

Discord

Ok, awesome. Man. One more reason I need a mac.
  24. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Oh, and for those who were requesting it, the site forum is now up! Please drop by and let us know what you want, what you think, and what you expect.

As an aside, I'm planning on expanding the site towards being a development portal as well. I just think it'd be awesome to have the sales of models, scripts, tutorials, music, sounds, etc... all be in one easily-searchable location.
  25. Bububear

Bububear

Great work on the tutorials.

I second the request from "UtopianGames". It would be nice to see a Monkey Ball type of ball/tilt control. Certainly'd be willing to pay for that kind of script. :eek:
  26. apee387

apee387

These look great!

I'm just getting started with Unity myself, so I think I'll be giving these a shot.

Does your advanced animation tutorial cover importing a character rig and linking animations to a key press or event? (I'm new at this, I'm assuming this is the way it's done!) Id really like to achieve having an interactive rigged character that I can make the animations for in Motion Builder.
  27. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Yes. After going over what it looks like to CrossFade, Blend, etc.... at different weights and speeds, I go through how to connect a character's animation to its movement.

Your models will have to be in a format that Unity can convert. If you can export to a .fbx, it should be fine, though.
  28. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I just released a free tutorial, not exactly advanced, but more people read this post than the other, so.....

It covers scripting in Unity from the viewpoint of a complete newbie to scripting in general. I go over what variables are, what they store, etc.... I go over calling functions and using a few of the built-in classes and functions inside Unity, I go over basic conditional statements (if this, then that, otherwise...), and I take some time to demonstrate the use of a while loop.

It isn't a 100% thorough look at scripting, but it should be enough for most people to get started. It's downloadable from the free samples area of Unity-Tutorials.com.
  29. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The pre-recording work for the Saving With PlayerPrefs tutorial has all been completed as of tonight! I should have the recording and processing finished tomorrow and the tutorial code all commented by tomorrow night. It should go on sale soon after. Also, due to comments about difficulty reading the code at times, I've increased my font size and changed to more readable font. I've also recently processed the advanced tutorials and changed the attached package models to .fbx format for those who want to edit the models.

If you want to redownload and your link has expired, feel free to request a renewal with the contact form on the website and I'll set it up for you. Please be sure to use the email you made the order with for confirmation purposes.

As a side note, I'm sorry for the long time between tutorials lately. With the opening of the IGF submissions (http://www.igf.com/index.html) and a few other competitions, I've been busy preparing games on the side and it's slowed me down. This will sadly be likely to continue until the competition submission dates are past, as I plan to submit three separate entries this year. From the end of August to the beginning of November, this will slow me down to a crawl. However, I do plan on releasing an affordable tutorial set on how I made the games for any of the entries that win a prize.

Thank you all for the business, as it's been a great incentive to keep these tutorials coming. :-D
  30. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The latest tutorial, Saving With Player Prefs, has been released!

It covers the use of the scripting class PlayerPrefs for saving high scores and game states and goes through a detailed demonstration of how to take a simple arcade game and integrate the new saving features into the pre-existing code.

It weighs in at 32:06, has four models, six textures, one scene, four scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2CYscCPnM

Work on the AI scripting tutorial continues, with the number of scripts exceeding twenty so far. The three scenes involved are very script-intensive due to the large amount of interaction involved. (Sneaking, patrol routes, group behavior, food chains, lair management, and NPC conversations and triggers) I'll probably continue to release smaller tutorials as I work on it, as I don't want to release it with a feature missing.

The next tutorial on the side chain will be: Scripting Dynamic GUI. (Basically, how to use the GUI system to create a game and make sure the GUI items scale naturally to the size of the screen)
  31. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The latest tutorial, Dynamic GUI, has been released!

It covers the GUI functions Window, Toolbar, VerticalScrollbar, TextField, and SelectionGrid. It comes with three advanced examples in the use of GUI.Window, including a dropdown window, a chat window, and a shapable window.

It weighs in at 50:59, has one scene and six scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfruHoeB1uM

The next tutorial on the side chain will be: Modeling and Rigging. Due to the large volume of requests for this topic, it will cover the creation of a basic humanoid model, the rigging and animating of this model in Cheetah3D, and the different ways to import the animations into Unity.
  32. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Gargerath

Your tutorials look attractive and I will most likely buy the advanced animation one, but I was curious to know if you were a competent network programmer, and if you had any plans on doing a "zero to hero" tutorial for those who want to get into networking..

"Look at the network examples" is the stock standard answer but I've never been able to get anything useful out of them. I watched a very talented programmer fiddle with some of the code once really quickly and he made the lerpz scene work over a school network, and thats the sort of thing I'd look for in a tutorial.
    I think in that case the build he made would only work on one specific computer.

A generic "shoot each other" would be ideal..

Keep up the great work
    AaronC
  33. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well, as of now, I'm actually learning the tricks of the trade from an associate of mine who's been handling internet databases and communication for about seven years now. As I've not had much experience on the website side of things, I couldn't properly translate my functions into a working net server and client application.

It is on the list of things I'm going to do, but I want to be SURE I can properly produce a quality tutorial when I produce it.
  34. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The latest tutorial, Modeling and Rigging, has been released!

It covers the creation of a simple humanoid, rigging and animating it, and two different ways to import those animations into Unity. As an additional bonus, it also includes over twenty minutes of modeling demonstration for the programmer that just wants a quickie model fast.

Note: All modeling done using Cheetah3D.

It weighs in at 50:41, has one scene and nine scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XxPXNBXN8

The next tutorial on the side chain is currently undecided. With the sheer number of game design competitions now open for entries and the UniKnowledge tutorial project competition, my schedule will be pretty full for the next few months.

However, I do plan on creating a week-by-week developer's commentary and tutorial on how I make each of my entries, so that should be next.
  35. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Thanks to all those who have been buying the tutorials and keeping me funded while I work on my UA 2009 game! Your patience will pay off, as the deadline is less than three weeks away. Before you know it, I'll be pumping out the tutorials that you've all been requesting.

The email about suggestions for tutorials went great, with dozens of people responding and quite a few amazing suggestions. The first couple on the list were, surprisingly, already on my plans for the future. (AI and Pathfinding) I'll be working on those first and will follow them with the runner-up, online high-score tables and save games.

Other than the above suggestions, there were quite a few unique items that I'll try to cover as well. In addition, quite a few people requested that I speed up production of the RTS genre-specific tutorial, so I think I'll do that. As soon as I finish the Advanced Tutorial Set, RTS is on the menu. It will cover:

• Selection Commands: Click, Shift-Click, Command-Click, Drag-Select with or without shift and command, and Double-Click on one type.

• Basic RTS AI: Moving around obstacles, planning attacks, building forces, responding to threats, and fight vs. flight.

• Multiple Damage Models: Shots Always Hit, Physics-Based Weaponry, Air vs. Sea vs. Land, Targeted Damage, and From Space to Surface.

• Designing Units: Concept Art in Cheetah3D, Adding Effects, Scripting Movement, Customizing Unit Behavior, and Testing.

• Handling Construction: Building Placement, Area-of-Effect, Resource Management, Unit Creation, Research, and Handling Tech Trees.

I'm probably missing quite a bit, but this is only what I could remember off the top of my head. In any case, I'll get back to my UA entry and make it the best I can. I'll be back to work in a few weeks!
  36. Armagon

Armagon

Will we get a special package with all tutorials, for a very special price? :roll:
  37. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The Advanced Tutorial Set will have a discounted price for purchasing them all at once, and the genre-specific set will as well. I expect around ten or so tutorials for the genre-specific one, but I haven't determined an appropriate price as of yet.
  38. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Well, the weeks have passed, my competition entry went well for the small period of time spent on it, and I'm re-energized for the creation of tutorials. Since my last post about the requested tutorials, I've gotten quite a few more and the crowning champion is currently a tutorial on Optimization. I'll be recording this sometime over the next week and doing my best to get it posted sometime next weekend. As always, it'll be priced at $14.95 and be around 30-60 minutes.

If you need professional tutorials at an affordable price, just drop on by www.unity-tutorials.com.
    Requests and comments are always welcome!

Edit: It might take longer than expected. I woke up this morning to find my recording computer unable to start up. When I took it to the shop, they estimated a two-week repair time due to a failing motherboard. As a result, I'm going to have to delay this until I can use my own computer again. (Using an open station)
  39. jully

jully

Hi
    I'm just getting started with Unity myself, so I think will be giving any animations. I would really like to achieve having an interactive rigged character that I will make the animations.
  40. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

That's more 3D modeling with a little bit of scripting added in. The advanced tutorial on animation might be what you're looking for.
  41. angel_m

angel_m

A tutorial about Networking ? :)
  42. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

That IS on the horizon, actually! The order of the requests went: Optimization, AI + Pathfinding, Networking, Specific Examples.
  43. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

And with no further ado, the Optimization tutorial has been completed! It's been a long process recovering all my preferences, getting the recording equipment configured, and so on.

The tutorial covers ways to control and reduce your draw calls, tris, and verts, techniques for increasing the speed of your scripts, and a few tips for getting your games optimized for the iPhone.

It weighs in at 34:46, has one scene, has four new scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIiNC-JuMq4

The next tutorial on the side chain will be: Gizmos. Have you ever wanted to know how to create those networks of lines and boxes you see when people demonstrate their projects? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to visibly see colliders, velocity vectors, or connections without having to click on your models? Then this tutorial will be for you!
  44. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I'm homing in on finishing the Gizmos tutorial, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on me switching my text editor coloring to the below. My thought is that it'll make things easier to read, but I don't want to make a change that significant to it without hearing what my viewers think.

Attached Files:

45. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Gizmos is now out! Things are starting to get rolling, and while one every nine days is nice, I'm doing my best to return to my regular schedule of a tutorial every week.

The tutorial covers the use of the Gizmos class. It demonstrates how to take a project and make it much easier to see what's going on with wireframe boxes, lines, color settings, and more. If you have no idea where your raycast is going and you want to see, Gizmos are the tool you need.

It weighs in at 28:15, has one scene, has seven fully-functioning scripts, and is now purchasable at unity-tutorials.com. It also comes packaged with a bit of art, including a spaceship, missile, and spawner with two color variants each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w14JyoZDNgM

My plan for the next tutorial will most likely be the hotseat multiplayer tutorial. How do you set up those split-screen cameras, configurable keysets, and mechanics to support cooperative and competitive gameplay? Well, this tutorial will do its best to answer.

Edit: Oh! Quick note. I'll be finishing the Q&A tutorial first, so the hotseat tutorial will most likely be out the week after next.
  46. Robert G

Robert G

Hello Gargerath,

Looking at the sample’s that you’re putting online, your work looks very good, but having that black screen to look at, doesn’t attract me very much.
    It looks gloomy and I feel some strain on my eyes looking at it.
    Did not purchase one of your tuts yet; but one day I probably will.

All the best,

Robert
  47. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Are you referring to to the text editor or the scenarios? I know I make a lot of projects based in space for simplicity.
  48. Robert G

Robert G

Hi Gargerath, Yes, I mean the script editor.

Regards, Robert
  49. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Huh. I've gotten people saying it's better as well as people saying it was worse. So far more people saying it's better, so I'm going to have to stick with it unless a bunch of people suddenly say otherwise. Apparently it's made it a lot easier to read for a lot of people.
  50. Quietus2

Quietus2

I think the high contrast is much easier to read.

Just don't be like the poor guy in that Unity shader video, where it appeared he was using black on black for the first half of his tutorial!