Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding a game icon in PlayerSettings causes build to hang on start

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Collett, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Collett

Collett

Hi,

Has anyone else had the issue where adding a 'Default Icon' (Edit->Project Settings->Player) causes the build to hang on starting?

If I build without an icon everything runs fine, but when I build with a 'Default Icon' set it hangs when I double click on the game icon (doesn't lock up the pc, it just sits there indefinitely trying to load).

2. Collett

Collett

Just a quick update.....It seems like after building with the new icon I then can't delete the files associated with that icon. I can delete the data files associated with the build, but not the exe that actually has the icon attached to it. Its in use by 'System', and rebooting doesn't even break the lock.

Creating a build with no custom icon has no issues though, it runs/can be deleted fine.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. Collett

Collett

Update: The lock is broken eventually, but it takes a few restarts.

And....Bump....

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi. At my work place we encountered same problem.

We tried building empty projects only with icons at Unity versions: 5.0 beta was ok ; 5.2.3 with icon it doesn't work, 5.3.0 beta it never works(with icon or not).

Worth to mention -> It doesn't happen on every PC. At 12 PC's we have at company. The problem occours only on one. Though customers who bought our game are experiencing same problem(process is stuck, and the game doesn't start), which is really problematic for us.

Even if we build project without setting icon in Unity Editor, and then add icon using 3rd software program it stops working. (though it works without a problem before setting up icon).

Maybe somebody from Unity have answer for that?

I'm adding a video which shows the problem

sunburnedgames likes this.
  5. meminmamon

meminmamon

same problem

6. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Create a project that reproduces the problem, submit a bug report.

7. rmshr

rmshr

Same thing ! The simplest project with just an icon make my build unable to open. Without it's ok.

Submitted the bug report. No news since.

8. lichtdev

lichtdev

Same problem... Any solutions?

9. kbm

kbm

Bump. I also have this problem. Build completely hangs and locks up after compiling with an Icon. Withouth it, there is no problem. I can't even delete the .exe and can't kill it (not even with ProcessManager in Win10 after 3-4 reboots)..

What is the cause of this? Faulty drivers? Something Unity related?

10. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Have you tried different images? Different image formats? Maybe there's some specific and rare PNG feature or something that's causing the problem.

11. Kailric

Kailric

I've been searching for a solution to the "hang on start" issue that just appeared out of nowhere. It happens just the way you describe it also, with the system hang ups, the restarts, and all. I've already had an icon attached to the project so I never made the connection, but I just now noticed this post and figured I'd see what your problems where. Turns out it is my problem as well as I just deleted the icon from the project and the exe works just fine now (at least once).

I fixed this once by creating a new project and importing all my assets. It built and ran just fine a few times but then the error appeared again.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  12. jamnoon

jamnoon

Same issue/bump.

I first encountered this issue while trying to run a build of somebody elses game which was made pre-Unity 5, so I wonder if it is a Windows/Hardware issue?

Specs:

Sapphire Radeon 7950
    AMD Vishira 6300
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Would really like to have an icon for the build!

13. murkantilism

murkantilism

Same issue/bump, I just discovered this was the issue after the build "happened" to not apply the custom icon for some reason. I was able to confirm this was the issue by removing the custom icon, re-building (success), adding the custom icon again, re-building (failure).

The failure behavior is exactly as described. The file explorer window "hangs", the .exe and it's data file are "in use by System", even though there's no corresponding program in the Task Manager (or it's Details pane) that I can discern. This is only remedied by a full restart.

No custom icons for now, which isn't a huge deal. But the bug itself (and identifying it ) is quite a huge deal and a pain.

@jamnoon I doubt it's hardware, I think it's just Windows 10 related. The playtesters for my game had the same issues and I did on my development machine, and I doubt we have the same hardware.

14. Kyle_L

Kyle_L

Same problem, and I've only encountered the bug on Windows 10 machines.

15. NathanHale1776

NathanHale1776

Same issue. If I use any custom icon the build will not work. If I do not use one the build runs.
    This is not a windows 10 or 7 issue this is a unity issue.
    (I'm on windows 7)

16. Kyle_L

Kyle_L

Has anyone found a solution to fixing this yet?

17. RegularTetragon

RegularTetragon

This is still a massive issue I've been having, and it took me literally months to actually figure out that this is what was causing it. It happens with every single project I make, if it's got an icon the build hangs, and I have to restart my computer to delete the old build. So I think a bump is definitely in order.

18. jamnoon

jamnoon

I encountered this issue originally on Windows 7. Now using Windows 10 but having same problem. Other posters have said they are having this issue on Windows 7 too.

Aaaand bump again!

19. sunburnedgames

sunburnedgames

Still unsolved! Bump.

We have seen this one last year on two machines with Windows 8.1 - but we thought this was fixed by Unity as the latest builds with icons worked on these machines. Now we have seen a refund on Steam with this reason. It is a really annoying issue as the player can only shut down the PC. So the impression of players who have the problem, is that our game has a bug when the problem lies with Unity.

In another thread Avast (and/or its settings) was named as the problem: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-games-with-icons-dont-launch.396869/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  20. danw_unity

danw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all, I'm going to look into this. I see one reference to a bug in this thread (from @Cigigi), I'll see if I can find it. Anyone else with reproducible cases, please submit bugs and send me the numbers.

Dan

21. jamnoon

jamnoon

Hi all,

I had a successful accident today.

So my Windows 10 install got corrupted and I had to basically format the HD and reinstall.

After reinstalling I went to start a Unity build that had a custom icon and wondered whether it would recreate this issue again, so I gave it a try.

Windows then gave a pop up saying something along the lines of 'Windows protected you from running an application from an unknown publisher.' There was an option for 'more info' which then offered a 'run anyway' option. The game worked.

It made me think that the only difference between my fresh install and my old install is that I think I did not have Windows UAC active in my previous install, or maybe had it set to 'no notifications' or something, so when I went to run the game Windows was blocking it, but not providing a notification.

This may be a red herring but hopefully its useful to someone.

22. sunburnedgames

sunburnedgames

@danw_unity Were you able to progress a solution for this? We have decided to stick with the Unity icon for now, as we don't want players to experience this problem during early access. Most games just live with the issue and the associated bad reviews and refunds - but in the early stages of early access this can be quite damaging.

23. SuperNeon

SuperNeon

Hi All !

Are you sharing unity on your depot to keep the same version for your team ?
    It look like if unity is in read only it failed the build with a custom icon.

24. sunburnedgames

sunburnedgames

The builds work fine, that was never the issue here. Custom icons for Unity Games can trigger Windows and/or antivirus software. Which means the game can hang in the task manager, and the only way to close it is to restart the PC.

25. SuperNeon

SuperNeon

My bad I read in diagonal :p