Search Unity

Accelerator - My first (mostly complete) Unity game!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Tenebrous, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

I would definitely question your judgement there, there are some totally amazing things being done with Unity at the moment :) But thank you for saying so :)

Generally speaking I don't mind if you send the link to anyone you like! Bigger audience = more comments = better game!

Grats! I got to about 800 and can't get any higher lol.

2. Ecocide

Ecocide

Wheehee, this game is damn cool :))

You seem to be very creative and talented, keep going!

This is one HELL of a high score :p

\m/

3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Very addictive little game!!

My one suggestion would be to change the flames when you crash, they don't quite match the rest of the visual style you've gone for. Apart from that, well done :)

EDIT: 694 is my best so far!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Actually I need to redo the whole magically-appearing-grey-sphere-and-fire thing, it's just wrong lol

5. NomadKing

NomadKing

Maybe something that feels more digital? Sort of like how characters die in Tron

6. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

I think that'd definitely fit in better - I will look into it :) First I gotta sort out performance though :D

7. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

8. Nateao

Nateao

Nice good like it

is the way your brain work

9. Patriick

Patriick

This game is super addictive!! lol I love it. nice work on this...

10. 121

Excellent game!

11. Priske415

Priske415

Love the new menu and the new segs, but Im not sure I like that there blue, kinda throws off your Color scheme, maybe make them white with black lines if you really want to change things up, but not blue.

12. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for all the really positive and helpful comments everyone :)

I do agree with you, but I'm going to expand the game with additional sections, and I was going to make them different coloured so you could get a 'feel' for what kind of sections they were, as they'd also have different types of obstacles from the other coloured sections.

13. Priske415

Priske415

Right well with that I think you could just reverse it like, white with black lines, or if you want even more variations, checkered black ect, just dont stray from the awesome vib you got going for ya.

14. spurge0n

spurge0n

So simple, yet so profound. Well done!

15. tequila

tequila

omg ... nice stuff. this is the next example that you dont need much such as overkilled graphics and stuff to have fun with a game. at least ... i spent more time into this than in any CoD game

edit: rank 428 ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  16. NomadKing

NomadKing

Still playing it... what a horribly addictive game! The performance does suffer a bit the longer the game goes on (but this isn't the best machine I'm on right now). Are you creating your track sections on the fly? or using a pooling system? (Pooling would be ideal for his kind of game if you aren't already) :)

Did notice one error though when my friend was playing it - he went round a corner into a split, took the left side of it but ran into what looks like some crossing geometry from the other side of the split. Here's a screenshot of the crash:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  17. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

Gotta say, excellent execution. Extremely addictive. Just to echo what others have said...I would really love to see you be able to port this to iOS. Of course I don't know everything(or much at all for that matter) as I'm just trying to get started with my first iOS game(first game in general for that matter), but I think that this would do extremely well as an ad supported game with IAP to turn off ads. I know I would buy it instantly. Keep up the great work...looking forward to where you take this. And good luck with the Kong contest. :)

18. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

This is pure win. Beautifully executed concept.

10 out of 10 for beauty in simplicity.

19. ZettaGenius

ZettaGenius

I loved the game! Just love it!

20. L-Tyrosine

L-Tyrosine

Amazing game. Finally managed to reach 1000 MPH

21. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Hey there, thanks for your comment! I'm using a pooling system, but there's a few bugs in it which means some objects aren't removed from the scene properly. Believe it or not I'm pretty much a total novice at all this stuff!

Yep it's my priority to fix these overlaps at the moment, they're mostly fixed for 1.0.10 which will be released soon :)

Thanks for the comment! iOS *may* come eventually :)

Thank you!

Thanks very much :D

Awesome! I can't get above like 850, lol.

22. NomadKing

NomadKing

Seems to be going well so far, just keep at it and I'm sure you'll chase them all down!

I noticed in the patch notes on Kongregate that you've been chasing the bugs down - Kongregate can be a good place to get lots of good feeding and testing for your concept (and some quick money if you win the monthly contest), just be careful not to give it all away for free if you later plan on selling the game in some form :)

23. bjohnson8704

bjohnson8704

Well, I finally managed to get in the top 1000 scores with a speed of 1069. Obviously you've got something going here. :) I'm supposed to be working on completing my own game, but Accelerator is too damn addicting. :p If you can't get it on iOS eventually, i'd be sad as I think it has quite the potential(and I would enjoy the hell out of it), but the awesome thing about Unity is that there are so many options...maybe you could start with the Mac App store(would still require a Mac and the $99/year developer fee, but not the additional iOS license/devices/etc.), and other online distribution channels to sell the game. I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I would instantly spend a few dollars on a full screen version of Accelerator right this second, if it were available.

In saying that all of that, I'm just seconding what NomadKing mentioned about not giving it all away for free...I'm not sure if you can even go to fullscreen in Kongregate, but if you can...I would avoid making that available if you plan on selling the game eventually(which I really hope you do...you deserve to make some nice change for this...more than the kongregate contest/ad revenue), as that can be a nice selling point(link in the Kongregate version "Click here to buy the Bigger Better FULL SCREEN version...").

Now, for a couple gameplay suggestions...you can take them with a grain of salt:

1) On game over, maybe allow the player to instantly restart the game by pressing the spacebar, return, or something, instead of going having to go back to the main menu. This is probably just my laziness speaking, but I don't think it would hurt to give us lazy people this option. :)

2) This is a pure "what I think may be fun" suggestion, but it could completely ruin everything the game has going for it, so take it as that. I'm thinking some collectable power ups/downs may add another level to the game(maybe even make a separate game mode for this and keep the original if power ups/downs are any fun). I think something that slows your speed down for a few seconds(or speeds you up faster for the bad) while keeping the score calculating the same(not slowing down/speeding up the score) would work nicely. And then maybe a power up that gives you a certain amount of straight tunnels before going back into the crazy bending/breaking/obstacle filled tunnels. And then there's the idea of having collectable bullets that the player can fire when that pesky obstacle pops up that he/she knows is gonna kill him/her.

All in all, I don't think it needs any fundamental change to be a great game(obviously), but just wanted to throw some ideas at you since I just recently started the beta testing for Droppin' Bombs, and I personally loved getting ideas/feedback and it has so far helped take it to another level imo. Anyways, keep up the awesome work...I don't know what your plans are for game development, but if you want to make games for more than just a hobby, I'm sure you have what it takes. Best of luck. :)

edit:

Just played around with the updated version a bit and it seems there's a bug where challenge mode starts at whatever speed is set in practice mode(at least that's what's happening for me).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  24. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

New version 1.0.12, go play it! HERE

25. NomadKing

NomadKing

I like the new color-blur effects on the 100 marks - they give a nice sense of speed as you pass though the 100 barriers. The new seperated score boards are good too - although you might want to think about how you can let people see the scores for the start speeds they can't compete in (e.g. if I can only ever make it to 800, i currently can't see how the people satrting at 900 or 1000 are doing) :)

26. defjr

defjr

Wow, really great game. Made it to 583. :)

27. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the positive comments, and the next version lets you see in the higher tables but not participate :)

28. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

You sure this is your first game! :D Amazingly fun, I love it's simplicity! Good job, and keep up the good work!

29. kondrup

kondrup

great game! Only 730 points though - I must practice

30. Lime_x

Lime_x

Really great game. I sort of found it really funny increasing in speed. When I finally died I was laughing really hard. It was a fun game!

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Can't get past speed 800!!! :D

32. abkarch

abkarch

Starts getting reallly fun around 550. haha.
    Got to 708. great game, ill probably be playing that instead of solitare in free time now :D

33. Ender

Ender

I've been trying to get past 1200 for about 3 hours.. I want to let you know that at that speed you sometimes lose frames which makes it so you crash automatically.

If I had to guess why this is happening, I would say that it's because Unity is trying to load the audio zones you put in.. because the audio also starts to click and sound wrong at that speed, because the clips don't have enough time to play before they start stacking on top of eachother. I think..

Anyway its an amazingly amazingly good game, it's games like these that make me love video games. Good job!

If you have a standalone version that isn't stuck inside the kongregate window id love to try it out fullscreen.. maybe it wont lose frames. thx

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  34. HolBol

HolBol

got beat at 1000. Rank #5006. Dammit.

35. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Got to 817 on first try. Great game!

36. Duskling

Duskling

I love it!

I think you have a hit on your hands :)

My score was 6353.

37. JelleHusson

JelleHusson

Like it! Nice style!

38. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

This game is awesome, i would love to see an offline version of this (or through steam!)

39. Farelle

Farelle

wow I like it :D it feels a bit slow in the beginning, but I really love the sound effects and the feeling of spee din this game :) and the simplistic style. I agree though that an indication of the ships size is missing XD I thought a few times "this fits!" just to be smashed against a wall

40. KamranWali

KamranWali

This is game is so fun to play!