Search Unity

A Starwars game made with Unity & Playmaker (learning project)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by richardh, Jan 28, 2015.

1. richardh

richardh

I have NO coding knowlede which is why I bought Playmaker about a month ago. I decided to create this game as a learning/education project to see what I could do given that I have no coding knowledge and have never created a game before.

So this short game has been made simply as a learning and education exercise. I have used Unity and Playmaker and some free assets. A couple of models have been taken from Blendswap but I've paid for nothing but Playmaker.

I'm pleased with the result, but some caveats:

The sound fluctuates from LOUD to quiet between the three scenes of the game (so beware).

I struggled with the gui text positions and although everything is positioned and lines up when played in 960 x 600 aspect, I think in other window sizes the texts and aiming reticle will be in the wrong place OR off the screen!

The game is only a short one with the simple aim of shooting the guns, staying alive and finally hitting the end target to complete the mission.
    If you MISS the final target you will have to stay alive for a further 3 minutes until the target comes around again.
    The T-fighters that are following you will shoot you BUT you can't shoot them as I decided to remove that bit to get this finished as I want to move onto another project.

I know that the Death Star shouldn't smoke in space but it looks good so I kept it in.

It's a learning/education project so Disney/Star Wars shouldn't be upset (I hope).

Please have a play and tell me what you think.

I know that 5 days is a long time for most seasoned game developers to produce such a simple game but really this is the very first compete game I've made AND I still wouldn't be able to write a line of code so this says something about the capabilities of Playmaker.

I know there would be plenty of scope to improve and add lots of bells and whistles to this game but really it was only meant as a 5 day learning project and it's not really an original game is it?.

So...

The Force is strong with Playmaker!
    >> Trench Run <<

Thanks
    R

theANMATOR2b and XCO like this.
  2. XCO

XCO

PLAYMAKER is the BEST!!! :D

3. TheMasonX

TheMasonX

On the 3D Text, I recommend increasing the font size and decreasing the character size. It'll make it much smoother. And try changing the filtering on the trench textures from bilinear to trilinear, and increasing the aniso filtering level. This will make it so that the texture blends into the distance better, and so that it's sharper around the trench's curve. All in all, not a bad first try.

XCO likes this.
  4. richardh

richardh

Thanks for the replies. I'm dead pleased with the result even though it's very rough around the edges. Next project I'll aim to improve and learn more.

thanks again.

XCO likes this.
  5. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I went to try to find your trenchrun but it was not there...

6. zugsoft

zugsoft

Your link is dead.

7. richardh

richardh

I do apologize. I have re-uploaded it now.
    LINK

Thanks
    R

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Richard - I just checked out your game.
    Not going to comment on graphics because others have covered improvements that could be made, and graphics aren't important when learning game development.

With the understanding this is your first attempt - nice job - especially not knowing how to code - I'm also in the same realm as you are and hope to release my first project for scrutiny within the month - all without knowing anything about code bits. :)

The controls on trench run seemed a bit touchy - might consider damping the up/down especially. I didn't like the centered reticle. It felt like I really didn't have control of the guns especially when I was attempting to shoot the turrets on either side of the trench.
    There were red shots that kept coming at me from the front of my ship, but there was nothing shooting these red shots - so it seemed a little unfair to me as the player that I couldn't defend against these red shots that came from the front.
    Also I attempted to dodge the shots from the tie fighters throughout the first level, but I was not sure if I was ever able to evade any shots on purpose. I know several went past me, but the ones that hit me seemed to hit me without me having any chance to evade. Luckily they only took off little health.

And when I finally came upon where I could shoot the photon torpedo (star trek?) :) down the tube, beyond the distance count down I really didn't have any helpful notification that it was time to shoot.

Just some things I noticed.

Will look forward to your next improved "non coder" PlayMaker creation. Nice work.

9. richardh

richardh

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment. I agree with all that you have said. To be honest when I attempted to create the game I was just intent on getting something working that sort of looked and felt like a game and didn't really have a worry about the fine tuning of the mechanics. After I re-uploaded the game the other day I had a play of it myself and came to the exact conclusion that you have mentioned above. Also, I can never time my photon shot and get it down the vent because of the poor way I've constructed the target (and once I've passed the vent I got bored and didn't want to go all the way around the bleedin' Deathstar again to have another go :)

But for a first attempt I was pleased it sort of resembled an almost playable game I I know I could fix things and make it a much better little game. I won't bother though because it was simply a learning experience and I'll move on to something else to practice on.

PS if anyone does ever succeed in getting a photon down the vent then the ending is quite a nice cut scene of the rush away from the death star and it's destruction with a huge explosion (I liked that bit).

So that's the challenge:

thanks again

theANMATOR2b likes this.