Search Unity

A orbital game WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by starmind001, Nov 4, 2014.

1. starmind001

starmind001

After making my first game from scratch and publishing it on google play, I wanted to keep going with another game. I remember playing a game a long time ago where you orbited a planet and tried to land on a pad. In the version I played you had so much time to land or you failed the level. This also included that if you hit the terrain, obstacle or landed to hard you would blow up.

I have drawn out about 12 levels with the idea of 100 levels by the end. The reason I am placing this here and now is, as I make a level I could use some C&C at making the levels. I have a problem with keeping the graphics cohesive. Also might need some coding advice on certain elements.

The graphics for this game that I would like is a claymation 3d style. Think Wallace and Gromit.

Enough jibber from me let's show the test pic of me testing the little bit of code I have written. I am coding in c# and right now I have 4 scripts running. A faux gravity on planet and player, a player movement script and smooth follow script on the cam. Not happy with the cam or player movement script yet. That's why it's WIP.;)

I will add a video later to see the movement.

orbital_test_pic.png

2. starmind001

starmind001

Here is the video.

3. starmind001

starmind001

Day 2

Today I added collecting and scoring. Not much, but a start. oribital_lander_day_2.png

Coins are just a place holder for ment to know what is collectable and what is not. As I progress the collections will change per level. Each level will have different themes. So far I have decided on 10 themes with 10 levels per theme. Not all will be space, but the gameplay will be the same. when i have more time this weekend, I will add a fuel consumption bar and fuel pickup. I also want to add some rotation to the player, add some sound to the thrust and fix the gravity.

Video:

4. TheRaider

TheRaider

looks to have some potential. Good luck.

5. starmind001

starmind001

Thank you for your comment.

Day 3

Added better gravity.
    Added better controls.
    Added particle effects.
    Added God mode for testing.(I needed this one as I kept dying)
    Added code for damage and audio, but forgot to turn them back on when making this video.

Only one problem I am having so far is the new particle system is not shutting off when I tell it to using a boolean. It kinda just puffs every so often. I am using the enableEmission.Play(true); and enableEmission.Stop(); as nothing seemed to work for me except this. I am use to particleToEmit.emit = true; but that was with the legacy particles. I believe you can see what I am talking about in the video. I may just use the old particles based on the fact that I can still used them. Just wanted try something new for this.

Next step is to add more to the gameplay than flying around a sphere.

C&C?

Video:

6. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Take a look at this :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

cool, I'll have to come back and watch the rest of the faux gravity vid :) Looks like you got the begginings of a fun little game there :)

8. starmind001

starmind001

Thanks but the scripts in the video pull the player to the top of the sphere. The new script I found is better for what I want in the game play.

9. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Did you see the story of how the European Space Agency landed a probe on a comet? Reminds me of your game :) maybe you could try odd ball shaped things like that comet to orbit around :) there are some really great pics of the comet here http://nyti.ms/1pOYe59

10. starmind001

starmind001

I did hear about that!

Day 4

I did this over the weekend. It is not much, but it is progress.

Added checklight when touching pad.
    Added particle system for destruction of the ship using the Detonator Pack.

Video:

11. starmind001

starmind001

Day 5

Today was a nice change in pace as I am actually able to demo it a bit. I think I have done more playing with the game today than actually coding it. :)

Added a start platform for demo only. ( need to work on scoring for the pad)
    Added old particles for main and retro thrusters. (Did this just based on I could make them work my way. Besides hard for old dogs to learn new tricks.)
    Added sound for thrusters. (made by me in fl studio)
    Added if planet is hit, ship goes boom.
    Added fuel bar. (this was a big one now just need fuel pickups.

I know how the controls are and how the feel, but I would like some C&C. Try my demo and tell me what you think.

Don't want to play, here is the video of me playing.

Video:

Thanks!
    Starmind

12. jkarateking

jkarateking

Game looks pretty fun and is coming along nicely.

What was your first game called (the one you said is on Google play)?

13. starmind001

starmind001

Da Vinci Lite

14. starmind001

starmind001

Had the time to work on this game today. I did some revision to the code and cleaned it up a bit. I will be adding more features, but for now here is what I have.

Day 6

Added fuel pickup.
    Added new scoring system.
    Added landing pad activation based on objectives.
    Added objectives.
    Added menus for pause, main, winning and for the loser.
    Added new features to the code, but did not show them.(features for future levels)
    Added new camera system. Not that you can see it all that well, but worked better for the new features.
    Added a wander box. (This is to keep the player within the seen when they begin to wander off)
    Added persistent data(ie saving, level to level scoring, etc)

Video: