Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Genra of Side Scroller and Platformer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dryson, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Dryson

Dryson

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/11/80...-smash-lutes-and-stab-some-glutes-in-apotheon

http://fantasy-faction.com/2015/apotheon-video-game-review

After watching the game play for Apotheon I had a really great idea for a side scroller.

You are on an archeology dig with your wife two sons and two daughters and come across an ancient burial tomb with a never before seen language. Your team keeps digging and finds a steel box that is remarkably unlocked. You open the steel box and suddenly there is a flash of light and everyone has been turned into sprites similar to that seen in Apotheon, including yourself and your family.

A ancient demon that appears and tells you that in order to return to the living you must rescue each of your family members by defeating the Glyphs of each of the ancient empires of Earth. This adventure would take the player through each of the ancient worlds Glyphs seen on the walls and caves that would include Mayan and Aztec, American Indian, European, Africa, Middle East and Asian locations where glyphs have been found and used as ways of telling a story about the cultures past.

The player must hurry though as if they don't defeat the Glyphs their family will permanently become part of the history of the past as Glyphs on the wall with the character roaming the glyphs forever as a shadow.

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I remember seeing a preview video for that game a year or two ago. May check it out sometime despite how it looks. Not that it is not artsy and all because it is. Just I don't really care for the look of the game. However, the actual game play looks and sounds (based on the review) like it will be quite enjoyable although frustrating due to poor controls. :(

Anyway, for your own game idea it definitely sounds like a nice angle and I'd recommend getting to work prototyping it as soon as possible. How is the rest of your weekend looking? :)

3. Samuel411

Samuel411

I loved apotheon but hated the level selection. You had to move as the player to the next level (took a really long time sometimes due to dying from animals and just long distances) of your choosing. I would have enjoyed the game much more if I was able to quickly move to the next level in some kind of order.

Though I don't know how this is a new genre. There are tons of side scroller action platformers. Good luck on your game idea.

4. Dryson

Dryson

I am well into the first level of my own side scroller. I have the upper level almost complete with two baddies. I will probably make at least three more general baddies for the entire level. It won't be too involved as the first level should be more about the player learning the controls first in my opinion.

The problem I am having now is "face hanging" that when the player comes into contact with a collider it just hangs there on the collider by its face. I heard Ray Casting solves this problem but have not been able to find any tutorials on it.

5. Dryson

Dryson

It would be new because of the style of play. I have never seen a game where you play as the painted figures on the wall before.

6. Samuel411

Samuel411

Its a different art style then. You still can move around and fight outside of the painted wall like in shovel knight and broforce. Those two games are action platformers. They are classified as pixel games but that doesn't change anything gameplay wise.

7. Samuel411

Samuel411

I added this to my game (cave brawlers in my sig) by using 2 raycasts. One at the head and one over the head. Then I checked if the raycast over the head wasn't hit and the one at the head was then that means there is a ledge and I'd then disable the rigid body's movement and keep it there until the player jumped or did an action.