Search Unity

A new Dungeon Crawler RPG ala Dungeon Master, made with unity: Dungeon Kingdom

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by kanda76, Sep 11, 2014.

1. kanda76

kanda76

Hello every one,
    wanted to introduce you my game, made with unity3d :

In short, it's an old-school RPG game walking in the tracks of games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ishar…Of course the gameplay have been improved with much more features:
    - Using unity's physics open up new posibilities of puzzles and realistic animations.
    - New kind of interactions: for example, you can set fire to the environment !
    - Multiple environments : old corridors, temple, mountain...!
    - Advanced rendering, full dynamic lighting and shadows, including on Mobiles devices.
    - Smart AI & navigation: some of the creatures may find a way to attack in your back !!!
    - Difficulty levels to fit best to any player experience (unlocking proper achievements).
    - Cross platform saved game sharing: start on pc, continue on mobile !
    - Strong story design, opening for sequel creation.
    - The game is made of continuous levels, there's no fading or loading between levels, except for major environment changes.
    Also it has more traditional features such as character and team creation, magic, real time combats….

You can get more information on the official website:
    http://www.dungeon-kingdom.com

And if you like it, you can support us on Steam Greenlight:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296809307

Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask me more informations, i'll be more than glad to reply.
    Regards

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    meatball, calmcarrots and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. meatball

meatball

Amazing style! Looks fun to play! I supported you on Greenlight.

3. kanda76

kanda76

thanks a lot :)
    Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

4. kanda76

kanda76

Hello all, forgot to post another screen shot:

Regards all!
    kanda

5. kanda76

kanda76

Hello all!

The Trailer to boost the crowdfunding campaign is now online:

Feel free to support us on indiegogo or vote for us on steam:
    http://igg.me/at/dungeonkingdom

Thanks all, any help is much apreciated ;)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice, do you have a twitter ?

7. kanda76

kanda76

Yes ;) @hydrogames

Regards.

8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That video is excellent. It's actually incredible to think this is made by just one person. Are you the artist-animator in addition to being the designer and programmer? The graphics look AAA quality. That opening talking sequence looked like it would hold its own against the best of the best.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

From the credits on last video it seems they are at least seven people :)

10. kanda76

kanda76

Hello,
    Thanks for your feedback. I am not alone. I am the creator, developper, level builder, but i am not making all artworks alone. I have a 3D artist who helps me and a 2D artist who painted the portraits. And some dudes to help for website and musics. We also used a few assets from asset store but most were totally modified and re textured with our own textures, not say re shaped.

Regards

GarBenjamin likes this.
  11. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks good , but it is very similar like a pale copy of Grimlock 2 , is there somthing that differentiates it or could make it some more interesting ?

12. kanda76

kanda76

Hello Damjan.

I don't get why you say it's a "pale" copy ?

-First all, we have a strong story telling, you won't explore dungeons without a real plot.
    -Secondly, we have real physics, and it's a big improvement for a real time crawler.
    -We are totally multiplatform, including mobiles, and this include cross platform game saving. Game UI was design to work perfectly in all situations, and both using mouse and touch events.
    - Also, we aim to a very strong sound ambience, and lot of details into the environments. We hate "empty" environments. - We work a lot on the tension factor, which is very important. If you ever finished Chaos Strikes Back or (Dungeon Master) you'll get what i mean.
    -Game system is also totally different.
    -Magic system is different too.
    -Our character , portraits and NPC are animated. Are they in Grimrock ? No...Where is the pale copy? Isn't it innovative for a crawler ?

I could go on for ages, but in fact, except the case by case nature, which was borrowed both by Grimrock and Dungeon Kingdom to Dungeon Master and its clones, most of the game sides are different. And of course a Dungeon Crawler is not juste a set of monsters and rock walls...!

Did you say Grimrock is a pale copy of games like Might and magic or Eye of the Beholder (beyond the graphics of course, LoG being much more recent) ? If you know all theses dugeon crawler games, you'll see it's the case...!

And about copy side, i am sorry but it's totally wrong. Have a look to the huge thread about dungeon kingdom on RPGCodex, i published lot of screenshots of my past works on dungeon crawler genre, some of my works ware much older than grimrock release. Other are including some ipad version embedded level editor, even on such a limited device.

Think about car games. We can't say they are all same. It's also true for Dungeons Crawlers or any game genre :) Especially, you did not play Dungeon Kingdom, and your are comparing a released game, Grimrock, made with a confortable budget, to a Work in progress like our, made with almost 0 budget.

I hope you got me, ask me if you want more details on any side :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Calm down , i didn't want to offense you :) , i don't have played your game or some demo , i was just asking if it was real differences as it feels the same at first look.
    It looks reall good, do you plan some small demo ?

14. kanda76

kanda76

aha no problem i am not angry or anything, i should add more smilies sorry, but i replied quickly, sorry.

Well there is already a demo but it is very closed beta. The indiegogo campaign takes a lot of time to promote the project, so i am very busy with it at the moment, but i plan to release demo to the public a few weeks later when things are more calm :)

15. chaos shaman

chaos shaman

keep up the work Kanda, you're project looks great. I have been poking around here, just installed unity. I was hoping for a section someplace that would tell me how easy it would be to click on a NPC and get a menu screen with selection buttons like in RTC. I know that I can with the RTC engine have any NPC do just about anything, 100% ai. is it possible that unity can be programmed that way? I'd like to help but I can't do it without knowing how to achieve certain functions. get back to me through email. I may yet look into unity. i am interested in making a DM style game with it, provided ai can be done, and menu screens can pop up by clicking on a NPC, get back to me