Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much is this model worth?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogzerx2, Aug 9, 2011.

?

How much is this worth?

1. I wouldn't buy this at all. It's no use to me! / too highpoly / other reason.

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. $5

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. $10

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. $15

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Model comes with the rifle, plenty of animations, and a custom character controller script.

The problem with this model is that it's currently too high poly (11k tris). A better retopo is in order. And I also plan to add an automated LOD system to the script.

How much you guys think it's worth?

I'm thinking about selling it cheap. Like $5 or something. Because people might just buy it as hobbyist game makers, or maybe as a fancy placeholder for the real character in their game, right? It's not very useful, but I was hoping to get some revenue with it, maybe save up for unity pro or something. Also I just want to experiment with the asset store, and see if it's worthit and all! I hear what sells more are actual plug-ins, rather than models! But I'm not an experienced programmer. :-0

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Nice model and animations.
    Start from $35-40. I think its optimal price for such asset.
    In any case you will be able to reduce price later. Its always better reduce price then increase. ;)

3. Cronch

Cronch

I like your model a lot. Well done!

I agree with mr_Necturus about the price, but I am not sure about the poly count. Maybe it is ok for a main character on standalone, but just guessing about it.

Good luck!

4. kerters

kerters

very cool ! i would say 50 - 70 USD with animations and and gun, non exclusive.
    exclusive 500 - 800 USD.

5. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

tbh...i am not that interested in the model, more interested in the character controller and the animations :)
    Model looks good, tris count a bit high, go for $30-40.

what program and what rig did you use for him? custom rig or 3dmax biped or other "already existing" rigs?

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

You guys are very kind!

The main issue is the polycount, as you can see. I'm going to retopo it properly when I have time! After that, I'll submit it with a reasonable price. I'm aiming at something affordable for most people!

@Schlumpfsack - I used 3dsmax's biped

7. Alienchild

Alienchild

It is sort of stylized, looking more compact and cartoony then for instance these guys. I definitely like your style though, actually better then most other work I've seen. The problem comes when you only sell one character. If you had 20-40 characters + different ways to modify them with skins and whatnot, then it is a lot easier to spend large amounts of money on it.

8. Ethan

Ethan

Very very cool character controller script ... it's a lot of work and pain till you get there. :)

I'd sell it for at least 40 $, because it's just so much work to get a polished character like this.

9. dr.steam

dr.steam

I wouldn't sell it, it's too pretty for mere pennies (considering taxes). Give it away as a freebie. :) Very nice indeed.

10. andererandre

andererandre

I personally wouldn't use it because of the poly count. The animations are extremely well done, so if you'd be able to reduce the poly count I'm sure you will find a lot of buyers, especially as the Unity Asset Store is still lacking both characters and vehicles.

11. brn

brn

Dont sell yourself short, Those animations are excellent. They integrate very well with your movement code. In those two areas alone its worth hundreds of development hours.

12. defjr

defjr

You should definitely sell this with the character controller and animations. :)

13. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

11 K tris is not too high poly for standalone PC / MAC ( especially if this count is with the weapon ). If you wan't you should retopo it for LOD and or very low poly for mobile device. On my side such an asset ( with this re usable script ) would be around 40/50 dollars ( don't know really how many animations come with the asset ). As brn said " don't sell yourself too short". this is a really good quality asset. Good job

14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very nice! Probaly like $25...

15. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I would buy it for the animations alone (which are very well done!) - the fact that you did it with a biped (a very common rig) would make it pretty easy for people to integrate their own characters to it. The model is a bit high poly for non-standalone, but that's the only issue really.

I would have to agree with $25-$35. If your scripts are well organized, maybe even higher, with a focus on the controller script/animations.

16. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Great feedback, guys!

So I think I'm going to focus the package on the actual animations and script. Seems to be more valuable than the model itself, hehe.

I've tried the animations/script on other biped rig character and they do seem to work fairly well. I'll keep researching on this, I'll try characters with different proportions, etc.

I'm going to improve the polycount for the mesh and do that LOD system I've been meaning to make.

Also in the roadmap:
    *cover system animations for the script.
    *shooting/reloading/etc animations, etc
    *dying, climbing ladder, misc

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  17. jedy

jedy

Drop the poly count by roughly 1/2 and sell it for 50$ +!

18. tatoforever

tatoforever

Awesome work dogzerx!
    Non-exclusive about 30-50$.
    Exclusive about 500-800$ (depending on the amount of provided animations).
    And yes, drop the poly count by half.

19. parnell

parnell

I'm a Lead Character Artist for my day job. The art is good, but that's really subjective and for a wide market probably isn't what everyone wants for their game. However, I was blown away by the animations. They are really tight! Add to that the fact that it's all hooked up and ready to go is a great real selling point.
    The first time I saw this I thought...I'm going to make my own model and use these animations.
    To keep this a viable kit I'd start doing more and more animations.
    Maybe even sell packages so like $25 for the necessity animations. $50 for the full load. $75 for unlimited pack (assuming you continue to add new animations)

Really up to you...but I'd really consider a low (not free) price point with opportunities for people to buy additional animations.

P.S. get this to work with the Sidescroller "2D Jump and Run" kit and I'll buy this instantly!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  20. Alienchild

Alienchild

Lots of animations, 10-15 different types of weapons, some alternative armor skins, one model without the helmet... I could go on forever. Not because this model is lacking, but because it is so good you just want more.

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@alien child, the helmet is removable! hehe. Armor skins actually are kind of a must, now that you mention it! Also face skins will be needed. *Added to the roadmap

I'm currently doing a proper retopo, I brought down the character (without gun and helmet) to 2234 tris without losing a whole lot of detail.

22. jedy

jedy

Nice job! You can easily sell it for 50 bucks now.. Even more !

23. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I just wanted to chime in and say dogzerx/Jose is amazing!

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

The model is pretty good, but the head is very large, and his legs are stubby. Looks sort of like a space dwarf.

25. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

stylized. i guess it wasn't aimed to be "realistic".

i really like the model, but still, i would prever to get my hand on the animations and on the controller ;)

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

$40 sounds good. Include a really low poly iphone version.

27. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Thanks everyone! This is my first asset store submit, such great support is awesome to me! >:]

@legend: LOL thanks!!! >:D *purrs*

@hippocoder: Hey, not bad at all! How lowpoly must an iphone characters be? Would 1k be low enough? I must not ignore the mobile market!

@Jaimi, yeah, it's stylized alright n__n, or maybe cartoonish. That has been one of the concerns when selling this models, it's not very useful. I guess the animations ended up being more valuable! haha! So I'll focus on that as I complete the art pack!
    I still want to provide a LOD system, and other features for the actual character model, just in case!

28. gustavolsson

gustavolsson

+1

You could easily sell it for 100 USD +, great work! :)

The problem with selling art assets in my opinion is that developers want their games to be unique. I would suggest adding a couple of suit color variations and different helmets so that people can customize the model and "make it their own".

29. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

It really depends on your target audience. Some things I've learned...

1) Indie Developers and non-serious (non-profit...yet) developers want ridiculously low prices, and practically want to steal assets from artists. Part of this is due to the high cost of assets themselves, but also due to the lack of budget. However, this is probably your biggest audience. (Anywhere from $10 to $40)

2) Real game developers who may want this guy in their game, but I honestly don't see this happening because they need characters to match. Few games require only a single character. ($60-$150).

3) Real Budget game developers/companies, who may want this (and more) from you. Even fewer customers than #2, but a much higher sell price. However, finding even 1 customer would be hard for a high price. ($300+)

All three are the reasons I have refrained from selling ANYTHING. High paying customers want custom content, and need a lot of it. Indie developers and non-serious newbie devs feel they are being cheated if it is priced anything less than ridiculously low for the artist to profit. The only hope is to sell to multiple people-- most of which will STILL think it's too expensive, even at a ridiculously low price.

Honestly, I don't truly know. There is no real set value for virtual assets yet, no industry standard for selling models to multiple clients, and arguably no standard for ANYTHING. You pretty much get as much as they're willing to pay, and it's probably always fair even if you sell to one customer for $20 and to the next $120. The value of this stuff is just messy, if anything.

Animations alone can cost a huge amount and have their own worth, even after discarding the mesh, but you can't include that in the cost of selling the full character, or else it'll be too high. Yet if someone can rip the animations from the character, who is to say that character isn't worth it?

What would I pay?

Nothing. Ever. Art consistency is important, and unless it's something like what Frogames sells (tons of characters, animations, and personalized outfits) and matching environment sets, it's not even worth it to prototype, let alone create a game.

That's the main problem. You buy one model from one vendor, and a second from a second, with an environment from a third. The result? A horrible looking game where some characters are Cartoony, some are Anime, and some are gritty realistic.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  30. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

Easily? To who?

I'd really be interested to know if this were actually true.

As a 2D artist, I find 99% of customers want a full RPG worth of graphics for a scaling price, which starts at a budget of $400 for everything at week 1, scales down to a change of only $200 at week 2, and finally ending in a desperate plea for partnership for a % of profits because the budget never existed in the first place.

Always a ton of people complaining a ridiculous low price is ridiculously high, and these are full grown adults!

31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@2Dsprite - Hey, nice observations! Y'know that's kind of what I've been concerned about in the first place. This character suits as a fun placeholder, or maybe will work for a hobbyist game maker. But isn't very useful aside from that!

That's why I suggested $5 in the first place, something cheap that doesn't hurt to get, and I thought if I added a script with animations people would buy it just for fun.

I might raise the price a lil bit, but not a whole lot! But that'll happen as I keep improving the art package (adding animation, script features, and model improvements).

As it turns out the animations are more valuable than the character itself! hehe So if I raise the price a little it'd be due to the animations, and the script maybe!

I'm still doing a proper retopo, which I'm almost finished. And a LOD system (just cuz XD) And other improvements for the model itself, because even if it's not worth a lot, stuff must by tidy, right?

32. HeadClot

HeadClot

I would Pay 15.00 just for the Rig and animations they look really good :)

33. parnell

parnell

Hey Dogerz.
    I'll be honest I'm only interested in the animations and controller. The art to me is just a bonus to help demo the animations and controller in my eyes. I'm actually hoping these animations are easily portable to biped so I can quickly test them on my own characters and then get into my game asap for testing...which once I have everything the way I want I'll send off to an animator to get the exact animations I want. I'm a 3D character artist not an animator so to me the ease of getting these animations to work well on a number of different meshes is probably my biggest hope. I think for you getting your controller to work into as many of the game kits that are currently on the market would be a huge selling point too.
    If you could get this working in the Mr. Moustache kit, the 2D Jump n' Run I would buy this in a heart beat;).
    Looking forward to your release.
    B

34. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

I just wanna join in with everyone else and say those animations are great.

35. LaneFox

LaneFox

Those are really nice, I totally agree with modeling_man the animations are really impressive. Regardless of weather this fits every single person's needs or not - its a perfectly ideal prototyping asset. When people are making their own game they're not going to build it out of plug-n-play characters, they may prototype with some but they'll end up wanting to make their own so that their game isn't like everyone else's game that uses the same character.

For 5 bucks you could probably sell it to every person that is starting to make an FPS but its easily worth 50 as a polished asset with good documentation of how to incorporate it properly so the noobs aren't lost.

I don't see why you would have much trouble getting the poly count cut in half, the gun is probably soaking up a bunch of extra tri's.

edit: sorry, i missed the page 2 comments lol........

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  36. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Exclusive model can have a high price.
    Custom model can have high price.

Géneric non exclusive should be cheap:
    - You can't sell something with an asset used in 50 other games -> only usefull for a prototype or a free game.
    - The seller don't sell it only one time.

37. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Bought that... Its just awesome model with awesome animations with simple script.
    Good work dogzerx, I think I'll buy whatever you sell in my budget!

38. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Haha, thanks yakdag!

So the model is already available! Search for 'soldier' ! $10 already with the 2334 tris model!

roadmap:
    1) LOD
    2) Covering animations / Shooting / Getting hit / Dying / Climbing ladder / etc
    3) Several skins

Price will remain under reasonable amounts (taking into account the feedback I've been given, and my own judgement), so it'll remain affordable! But nevertheless it might increase a little as I improve the asset!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  39. parnell

parnell

So is this in the Asset Store now for $10?
    As you add new features will those features be available to those that pay in now or will we need to pay for upgrades?
    Just curious
    Glad to see you making progress on this.
    B

40. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@modeling man:
    Yep! It's been approved recently! The current price is $10 bux, it might slowly increase as I keep working on the asset, but it'll probably stay under $20.

I think once someone buys an asset, he gets all future upgrades, even if price increased.

After some research...

This is what I've found:
    and..

I think that means upgrades comes free!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  41. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Your persistance to sell it for under 20$ is amazing, especially with all the extra work you've put in!

Here's a thought: Maybe make some different textures, and one or two models with a little bit different geometry and sell it as a pack! Soldiers never come alone! ;) Plus, people would then be able to use them in more projects as fancy placeholders etc.. (as enemies / teammates).. Then just ask the damn 25$ for them, and buy yourself Unity Pro! ;)

42. andererandre

andererandre

The price is incredible. I think that's the new must-have purchase for every game prototype using a moving character. Even if you only use it for demonstration purposes or a placeholder.

43. Silence

Silence

I can't believe that for the number of hours you've put in, you're selling it for that price. Anyway, why doesn't your sig have a link to your animation demo reel yet ? :)

44. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

bought it...awesome...thx :)

45. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

It is very rare to see a commonly sold asset in an actual release game.

On top of that, it is very rare for that game to be any good, be very popular, or have anyone even notice.

IMO, and I realize it's only my opinion, but I don't really see the "It'll be used in 50 other games" as something to lower the price at all. Why? Because it won't. It'll be in maybe, MAYBE, 1 fully released game, which will most likely be mediocre or suck.

I mean, have you actually seen or ever played any games that made use of third party graphical assets? (Such as Arteria3D, 3DRT, Torque assets, etc.) that weren't just a demo/prototype?

I know of some...but the only one I know of is a very generic MMORPG. (I face-palm when I see MMORPG's released which are generic and identical to what we already see, but with less features. Such little innovation, even among indies! Obviously very talented individuals, but not so much game developers / design docs for fully released games.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well the most worthy thing is how nice it runs and reacts with the environment, thats really sexy. If selling for mobile be sure to put in BOLD: Includes low poly optimised version for mobiles! to see those delicious sales rack up. There's really a lack of mobile friendly assets, and it's the mobile crowd that arguably will spend the most money on assets (they generally want to sell stuff and understand expenses).

You could also just bake the detail of the high poly mesh into the low poly mesh if thats a worry for you.

1k is fine, but I'd shoot for 500-700 if I could. It may mean re-boning it which could be a pain... But it justifies $40 easily as a minimum price really since optimised versions are very usable for desktop RTS games as well.

47. s23DRT-com388

s23DRT-com388

Believe me there are tons of finished products with our models on PC and Xbox, of course they aren't of a same budget as Killzone or Call of Duty.

48. parnell

parnell

Sup Dogerz!
    Just wanted to say I happily purchased this kit.
    Great kit to run around with and test stuff out.
    So 2 tiny suggestions
    1) This guy NEEDS a jump! I was running around and just hoping he could pull off even a little hop;)
    2) Think you could whip up a 'sidescroller' camera? Or at least hint with some documentation on how?
    I tried tinkering around with it but failed miserably...I figure it's just a matter of finding where to lock the camera/mouse detection for both the character and the camera. I realize if you are busy just thought I'd suggest it.

Can't wait to dive into the anim, and character controller stuff this is such a pimp kit!
    Thanks again
    B

49. andererandre

andererandre

Just bought the package just to support you and the development of this asset. Keep up the great work!

50. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Whoa!! THANKS GUYS!!

I'm currently working with the LOD, I have 4 different polycounts of the soldier to make the level of detail (2.2k, 1.4k, 968 and 632 tris)

Adding more animations is a priority! Jump animation, shooting, getting hit, dying, all that's missing, but should be added in time.

I really want to do a cover system as well, like on tactical games!

To make a side scroller camera, the code under //Rotation and //Input in solder.js would need to be recoded! And the soldierCamera.js would need a little re-coding as well!
    I reckon my code isn't 100% professional, lol, so it might be a little difficult to understand. I tried to add comments on everything, etc, but the logic is.. "experimental" X)
    This guy is only version 0.91 haha, so it needs a lot of work, and suggestions are very welcomed.
    I like it, though, it's a very good idea, and having that available would improve the asset a lot!
    After I finish with the LOD (which is going to be soon), I'm going to do the code tinkering to see if I can make the sidescroller camera, at least a beta version!! Then I I'll move to the animations, which seem to be what people need most!

I'm all ears to suggestions, requests, or anything else! Thanks all!