Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much is this model worth?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogzerx2, Aug 9, 2011.

?

How much is this worth?

1. I wouldn't buy this at all. It's no use to me! / too highpoly / other reason.

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. $5

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. $10

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. $15

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. lapfire

lapfire

This is downright amazing to me. If you keep the price under $20, I'll buy it when the other anims are released...(Assuming this comes as a prefab.... :) )

2. EOD

EOD

Is there a reason the model is unity 3.4.0 only? - at least the asset store tells me so.. Would be great if I don't need to update to the latest version ;)

Otherwise, really great work!

3. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@lapfireinteractive - If I get to the point I'm about to increase the price above $20, I'll generate a different art package altogether! Perhaps with a different model even, to mix things up!
    But the animations and what has been mentioned in this thread will all go into this current art package! :D

@EOD - Hmm, damn... I'm doing everything on 3.4, not sure if the code/prefabs/etc would work on the older versions.
    I'll have to research on that! I guess the models and animations would work in any version? I'll have to run tests though, until then I'm not sure if it's compatible with your unity :-0

4. lapfire

lapfire

Once those four aforementioned anims get into place (Jump, shooting, getting hit, dying) on the prefab. It's a MUST buy. Make sure to update the thread once those are in place! :)

5. parnell

parnell

If you need help with the LOD let me know.
    Just send me a PM.
    I do character game art for a living, i don't do scripting:(
    thanks!
    B

6. Moon

Moon

First time I bought anything on asset store! I couldn't help it!!! Thanks for this!

7. MichaelMartin_526

MichaelMartin_526

Me too, and a reason to upgrade to 3.4! Very good asset dogzerx, really interesting to see how it all works, very fluid animation and movement.

I was going to suggest you could expand this and release the 3ds max working files, to see the whole work flow. Maybe you could sell the working files and a tutorial on your website.

Anyway, awesome work.

8. redcap_old

redcap_old

I came here thinking it was going to be a kid trying to sell something he made in blender in 5 minutes... I was pleasantly mistaken. Top quality model and animation. Retopolgizing shouldn't be too hard; but besides that looks great. $30-50 is a steal, but will get you the most buys.

9. EOD

EOD

I just tried your package and the demo-scene with Unity 3.3. Works fine with slightly modified scripts. The camera-script seems to be more shaky as in 3.4 though.

Would it be possible, to reduce textures to just one file? I am working mainly on mobile projects and therefore the draw call budget is pretty low.

10. andererandre

andererandre

An increasing price as the model progresses sounds fair, releasing other models using the same or similar animations with a different mesh and different textures also sounds fair, but I hope you'll focus on the development of this asset before releasing a second one. Adding more than one model using the same set of animations might give people the feeling that they pay twice for the same stuff, so make sure that your packages offer more differences than just another texture.

I cannot complain about the package and with the missing animations and maybe a second texture or something being added in the future you will be able increase the value of the package a lot. 20-50$ for the final version depending on the animation and texture or maybe even weapon mesh count will still be a great price.

So once again thanks, make sure to keep us updated about your working progress!

11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Sorry, I've been quiet with updates but I've working on the model a lot!

@plzdiekthxbye - Hey, don't worry! There's tons of things I want to do with this asset before I'm done with it. It's v0.91 but I feel like it's 0.5 or something X).
    Actually I was thinking my next asset should be something different. I was fantasizing about making a really good soldier maker. With a head full of morph to customize the face, kind of like the sims (or victorious boxers 2 if you ever seen it) But less cartoon. Also enough army equipment to get a wide variety of possible different soldier characters. But those are only mid-term plans, right now I want to work on this asset until it's worthy of being in people's project. Right now I feel is far from complete!

I finally finished the LOD system yesterday!

Right now I'm actually doing a bit of re-coding, I should say. Don't worry, not much will change visually, but things will handle better.

I'm going to split the soldier.js into two different files: soldierMovement.js and soldierAnimation.js

soldierMovement.js is going to work using the good'ol character controller, because it's more customizable, and manye people are familiar with it.

And the soldierAnimation.js will use the speed to detect which animation to play (rather than the keyboard Input).

Both will be independent, so for example you can replace the soldierMovement.js with something of your own, and the soldierAnimation.js will work with that, because it's going to take speed as input!

And the soldierCamera.js script will also be independent, so you can delete it and the character movement will still work (unlike current version), which will allow you to replace your own camera script, if you have one!

This is all meant so the scripts become a lot more customizable! And also paves the way towards a side scroller camera mode! :D

That's the plan, at least :p

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  12. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Sounds awesome!

13. parnell

parnell

Very awesome!
    Can't wait!!
    B

14. Moon

Moon

Do updates come free when buying stuff in asset store? I bought this (Only thing I have ever bought) and it sounds like I did early? Do I get free updates, or have to pay extra?

15. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Updates are free! :D

16. Moon

Moon

Yayyy ;D

17. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Ummm, call me stupid but: Where U guys see animations? Reading the opener I can't see any link to the char n animation?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  18. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@Skybreeze: Hmm weird! They're supposed to be inside an animations folder! Is the opener where you browse what's inside the art package in the asset store?

19. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Nah, I was searching kinda link in the post for sure... lol

20. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@dogzerx

I just picked this up, awesome animations! How easy would it be to implement my own character? Did you create the bones/animation within 3ds max?

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oh, hey! This should work on characters that have been rigged with 3dsmax biped. I'm working so this is really easy to tweak and customize in the near future!

Current version is 0.91, but there's a lot to improve.

What you should do in current version (and I should add this kind of help on future readmes lol):

1) Drop your character on the scene
    2) Give him a "soldier" tag <-- very important now, but wont be necessary in next update.
    3) Give him the soldier.js component script on the soldier's root.
    4) In the animation component, add all animations, they're 18, right now I don't know how to make this task easier :-(
    5) Give the camera "soldierCamera" tag <-- all this tags requirement deal will be gone in next update! Will be much easier!
    6) Add the soldierCamera.js component script on the camera

And I think that should do the trick. Let me know if it works please!
    Just in case my mail is dogzerx@hotmail.com!

I'm doing great progress with the new animation scripts. Sorry for the lack of updates, though, right now 0.91 script is more "complete" than this new script I'm doing, so I obviously I can't show the update, but once it's done it'll be much better. I strongly believe this is necessary!

Right now I'm doing a script that'll allow you to fix the gun aiming, because that's the main issue when using this script on other characters! Gun aiming is way off!
    In fact, even with default character aiming is not perfect, I'm going to make it so the gun really aims where it should.
    For other characters, you could of course rotate the gun to make up for the bad aim offset , but I'm really going to make the gun aim issue more tidy. So far I'm making the clavicle and upper arm rotate so they look at the target, and then I add a manual fix rotation value, but I'm exploring more "automatic" ways of doing it!

22. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I sent you an email with a couple other questions. :)

23. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

Looks really good. I would try $35-50.

24. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I feel like I should show a little work in progress!

I'm working on the aiming system. I wanted it to be accurate, unlike current version! I realized people was definitely going to have trouble making the soldier aim and shoot correctly after I added a crosshair.

Now the soldier can aim at a specific target, while the other arm is always holding the gun.

It works this way:
    There's two empty game objects. "gunGrab" and "gunAim". "gunGrab goes where the soldier should be holding the rifle with his left hand. And "gunAim" should go where the gun barrel is, this allows the script to aim the rifle in a correct manner! (Obviously these two game objects should be parented to the rifle!) Don't worry, I promise to make a proper readme file for next update!

25. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Looks good!

You should have the head follow the guns movements as well, that way the soldier always seems to be looking down the sights. I believe real soldiers are trained to always look where their gun is pointing.

What about including 2 animation states for the rifle; one in which he's firing from the hip, then when you click a button to zoom he brings his rifle to his shoulder to aim down the sights? Just some suggestions. :)

26. parnell

parnell

Now just get the head/eyes to track the same;)
    B

27. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@adamzeliasz: Your request shall be granted! I was also asked to add pistol animations. This guy needs to be able to use several types of guns/rifles!

@modeling_man: Haha!! Yeah he looks so retarded right now XD. I should definitely make him look where he's aiming at!

28. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

If you're really ambitious you should have both the rifle and pistol mount when you switch between them; such as a thigh holster for the pistol and a mounting bracket on his back armor to attach the rifle when not in use. But then you can't forget storage for his clips and reload animations! ;)

29. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Another thing I noticed as well are collision clipping problems, such as the soldiers arm/weapon going through a wall if he's right up against it. Just something to think about...

30. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

31. Moon

Moon

Wow...Awesome, cant wait til this next update :D

32. grfxman

grfxman

Any Guesses on the Time-Frame for the next Update :)

33. grfxman

grfxman

How do I transfer these animations to other characters ???

34. tatoforever

tatoforever

@grfxman,
    Using some sort of motion retargeting system. Unity do not provide this kind of tool right now but you can make your own if you really need it.

35. grfxman

grfxman

Yeah I have plenty of software to do that. The problem is the fbx file does not contain the animations. I can't figure out how to get just an anim Unity node out into something I can import into Maya etc...

It seems to have a script that is transferring the animations from one skeleton ton another. That skeleton has no FBX file. Also I wouldn't want to keep that process if hundred of avatars were involved. Might be CPU Heavy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  36. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oh! yeah, I took the clip files unity generates and saved them into a folder. I'll make a folder with a the animated fbx files and include it into the art package!
    Sorry about that, didn't figure people might want to modify the animations in maya! Certainly a foul from my part!

Current version is v0.93, I included getting hit animations from 4 sides, and 2 dying animations (front back)

check it out on the webplayer http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11214337/soldier_script/v093/WebPlayer.html
    Get yourself in front of the laser sight of the sentry gun to get killed. Also, press tab to see yourself from an external camera!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  37. grfxman

grfxman

Great thank you ! :)
    I am also excited about the future pistol animations. I once considered doing a rig that used simple cubes and then transferred the animation to whatever skeleton the end user wished. But Unity is always warning that the fewer joint calculations the better for speed, so I abandoned it.

But there is so much to your rig that is Well thought out that I intend to get it working in my MMO and even use a variation of it for NPC's.

Not sure how long the store will take to update but I will PM you my email to see if I can grab a copy of that FBX.

38. andererandre

andererandre

There's a bug when you crouch towards the turret and stand directly in the front left of it. The crosshair is targeting at the turret and the soldier targets to the far right and fires somewhere to the top right of the screen instead of at the turret.

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Yes! That looks pretty weird.

What the character does is try to aim the same point in space that the crosshair is aiming at. So when you move too close to the turret, and you aim the turret, the character will twist in an attempt to aim the turret , the character aims too much to the right, which looks unnatural.

Having tested it same way as you did, I can see it is an undesired effect. I'll see what I can do about it, thanks for bringing this into my attention!