Unity Community

View Poll Results: How much is this worth?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't buy this at all. It's no use to me! / too highpoly / other reason.

3 5.26%
  • $5

4 7.02%
  • $10

9 15.79%
  • $15

41 71.93%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Uruguay
    @alien child, the helmet is removable! hehe. Armor skins actually are kind of a must, now that you mention it! Also face skins will be needed. *Added to the roadmap

I'm currently doing a proper retopo, I brought down the character (without gun and helmet) to 2234 tris without losing a whole lot of detail.

HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

"A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)

2. Location
    Bulgaria
    Nice job! You can easily sell it for 50 bucks now.. Even more !
    -Jedy

Land of Strife Demo - Land Of Strife Sandbox. Stay Tuned for updates!
    Land of Strife Blog - The least supported game development blog.
    Twitter

3. Location
    Pennsylvania
    I just wanted to chime in and say dogzerx/Jose is amazing!

4. Posts
    The model is pretty good, but the head is very large, and his legs are stubby. Looks sort of like a space dwarf.

5. Location
    Hannover
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimi View Post
    The model is pretty good, but the head is very large, and his legs are stubby. Looks sort of like a space dwarf.
    stylized. i guess it wasn't aimed to be "realistic".

i really like the model, but still, i would prever to get my hand on the animations and on the controller

6. Super Moderator
    $40 sounds good. Include a really low poly iphone version.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

7. Location
    Uruguay
    Thanks everyone! This is my first asset store submit, such great support is awesome to me! >:]

@legend: LOL thanks!!! > *purrs*

@hippocoder: Hey, not bad at all! How lowpoly must an iphone characters be? Would 1k be low enough? I must not ignore the mobile market!

@Jaimi, yeah, it's stylized alright n__n, or maybe cartoonish. That has been one of the concerns when selling this models, it's not very useful. I guess the animations ended up being more valuable! haha! So I'll focus on that as I complete the art pack!
    I still want to provide a LOD system, and other features for the actual character model, just in case!
    Last edited by dogzerx; 08-10-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Oh, and my Google Plus.

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brn View Post
    Dont sell yourself short, Those animations are excellent. They integrate very well with your movement code. In those two areas alone its worth hundreds of development hours.
    +1

You could easily sell it for 100 USD +, great work!

The problem with selling art assets in my opinion is that developers want their games to be unique. I would suggest adding a couple of suit color variations and different helmets so that people can customize the model and "make it their own".
    Last edited by gustavolsson; 08-10-2011 at 12:31 PM.

9. Posts
    It really depends on your target audience. Some things I've learned...

1) Indie Developers and non-serious (non-profit...yet) developers want ridiculously low prices, and practically want to steal assets from artists. Part of this is due to the high cost of assets themselves, but also due to the lack of budget. However, this is probably your biggest audience. (Anywhere from $10 to $40)

2) Real game developers who may want this guy in their game, but I honestly don't see this happening because they need characters to match. Few games require only a single character. ($60-$150).

3) Real Budget game developers/companies, who may want this (and more) from you. Even fewer customers than #2, but a much higher sell price. However, finding even 1 customer would be hard for a high price. ($300+)

All three are the reasons I have refrained from selling ANYTHING. High paying customers want custom content, and need a lot of it. Indie developers and non-serious newbie devs feel they are being cheated if it is priced anything less than ridiculously low for the artist to profit. The only hope is to sell to multiple people-- most of which will STILL think it's too expensive, even at a ridiculously low price.

Honestly, I don't truly know. There is no real set value for virtual assets yet, no industry standard for selling models to multiple clients, and arguably no standard for ANYTHING. You pretty much get as much as they're willing to pay, and it's probably always fair even if you sell to one customer for $20 and to the next $120. The value of this stuff is just messy, if anything.

Animations alone can cost a huge amount and have their own worth, even after discarding the mesh, but you can't include that in the cost of selling the full character, or else it'll be too high. Yet if someone can rip the animations from the character, who is to say that character isn't worth it?

What would I pay?

Nothing. Ever. Art consistency is important, and unless it's something like what Frogames sells (tons of characters, animations, and personalized outfits) and matching environment sets, it's not even worth it to prototype, let alone create a game.

That's the main problem. You buy one model from one vendor, and a second from a second, with an environment from a third. The result? A horrible looking game where some characters are Cartoony, some are Anime, and some are gritty realistic.
    Last edited by 2Dsprite.com; 08-10-2011 at 09:02 PM.

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavolsson View Post
    +1

You could easily sell it for 100 USD +, great work!

The problem with selling art assets in my opinion is that developers want their games to be unique. I would suggest adding a couple of suit color variations and different helmets so that people can customize the model and "make it their own".
    Easily? To who?

I'd really be interested to know if this were actually true.

As a 2D artist, I find 99% of customers want a full RPG worth of graphics for a scaling price, which starts at a budget of $400 for everything at week 1, scales down to a change of only $200 at week 2, and finally ending in a desperate plea for partnership for a % of profits because the budget never existed in the first place.

Always a ton of people complaining a ridiculous low price is ridiculously high, and these are full grown adults!

11. Location
    Uruguay
    @2Dsprite - Hey, nice observations! Y'know that's kind of what I've been concerned about in the first place. This character suits as a fun placeholder, or maybe will work for a hobbyist game maker. But isn't very useful aside from that!

That's why I suggested $5 in the first place, something cheap that doesn't hurt to get, and I thought if I added a script with animations people would buy it just for fun.

I might raise the price a lil bit, but not a whole lot! But that'll happen as I keep improving the art package (adding animation, script features, and model improvements).

As it turns out the animations are more valuable than the character itself! hehe So if I raise the price a little it'd be due to the animations, and the script maybe!

I'm still doing a proper retopo, which I'm almost finished. And a LOD system (just cuz XD) And other improvements for the model itself, because even if it's not worth a lot, stuff must by tidy, right?

Oh, and my Google Plus.

12. Location
    Utah
    I would Pay 15.00 just for the Rig and animations they look really good

13. Location
    Boston
    Hey Dogerz.
    I'll be honest I'm only interested in the animations and controller. The art to me is just a bonus to help demo the animations and controller in my eyes. I'm actually hoping these animations are easily portable to biped so I can quickly test them on my own characters and then get into my game asap for testing...which once I have everything the way I want I'll send off to an animator to get the exact animations I want. I'm a 3D character artist not an animator so to me the ease of getting these animations to work well on a number of different meshes is probably my biggest hope. I think for you getting your controller to work into as many of the game kits that are currently on the market would be a huge selling point too.
    If you could get this working in the Mr. Moustache kit, the 2D Jump n' Run I would buy this in a heart beat.
    Looking forward to your release.
    B

14. Posts
    I just wanna join in with everyone else and say those animations are great.

15. Location
    0, 5000, 0
    Those are really nice, I totally agree with modeling_man the animations are really impressive. Regardless of weather this fits every single person's needs or not - its a perfectly ideal prototyping asset. When people are making their own game they're not going to build it out of plug-n-play characters, they may prototype with some but they'll end up wanting to make their own so that their game isn't like everyone else's game that uses the same character.

For 5 bucks you could probably sell it to every person that is starting to make an FPS but its easily worth 50 as a polished asset with good documentation of how to incorporate it properly so the noobs aren't lost.

I don't see why you would have much trouble getting the poly count cut in half, the gun is probably soaking up a bunch of extra tri's.

edit: sorry, i missed the page 2 comments lol........
    Last edited by LaneFox; 08-12-2011 at 05:11 AM.

16. Posts
    Exclusive model can have a high price.
    Custom model can have high price.

Géneric non exclusive should be cheap:
    - You can't sell something with an asset used in 50 other games -> only usefull for a prototype or a free game.
    - The seller don't sell it only one time.

17. Posts
    Bought that... Its just awesome model with awesome animations with simple script.
    Good work dogzerx, I think I'll buy whatever you sell in my budget!
    Racing Game Kit
    Super Cool Racing Games, in just a Few Minutes!

Offical Product Page : unityracingkit.com
    Facebook : facebook.com/RacingGameKit
    Twitter : twitter.com/RacingGameKit

My Official Blog
    yusufakdag.com

18. Location
    Uruguay
    Haha, thanks yakdag!

So the model is already available! Search for 'soldier' ! $10 already with the 2334 tris model!

roadmap:
    1) LOD
    2) Covering animations / Shooting / Getting hit / Dying / Climbing ladder / etc
    3) Several skins

Price will remain under reasonable amounts (taking into account the feedback I've been given, and my own judgement), so it'll remain affordable! But nevertheless it might increase a little as I improve the asset!
    Last edited by dogzerx; 08-12-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Oh, and my Google Plus.

19. Location
    Boston
    So is this in the Asset Store now for $10?
    As you add new features will those features be available to those that pay in now or will we need to pay for upgrades?
    Just curious
    Glad to see you making progress on this.
    B

20. Location
    Uruguay
    @modeling man:
    Yep! It's been approved recently! The current price is $10 bux, it might slowly increase as I keep working on the asset, but it'll probably stay under $20.

I think once someone buys an asset, he gets all future upgrades, even if price increased.

After some research...

This is what I've found:
    9.1 Provider agrees that Provider will via the Unity Asset Store at no cost to Customers and Unity supply any upgrades or otherwise updated versions of all Assets that a Customer has acquired from the Unity Asset Store. For the voidance of doubt this does also apply to any Asset that has been distributed for free via the Unity Asset Store
    and..

8.1 Assets identified as upgrades replace and/or supplement the licensed Asset

8.2 Licensor may at its own discretion from time to time provide upgrades of the Assets to
    END USER without requesting further payment. (...).
    I think that means upgrades comes free!
    Last edited by dogzerx; 08-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Oh, and my Google Plus.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast