Search Unity

Character Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by 95KillerZ95, Aug 9, 2011.

1. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Hi community, I'm happy to show you the video-preview of the characther toolkit that I'm developing.

NEW UPDATE:

It is very easy to use, you can build a player in only a few minutes, all that you need is set up some parameters.
    It will include many functions:
    -Fixed Update option
    -Use script option(if you want to make your own custom script using the motor functions)
    -States check (if the player is moving,running,crouching,swimming,etc..)
    -Movement class (Where you can set up all speeds and choose if enable the sprint and the crouch)
    -Jump class (If enabled jump, the jump speed)
    -Fall option (If you fall from a certain distance, that you choose, you receive damage)
    -Swim class (where you choose to enable it, and choose the speed and if you want the auto float)
    -Noclip class (If you want to enable it and various speeds)
    -Keys class (You don't need to set up buttons from script you can decide it from editor)
    -Climbing class(You can climb stairs on wall)

Over the motor, you can have many other scripts:
    -Footsteps
    -HeadBob
    -Protrude
    -Animation Controller
    -Health with autorestore
    -HealthGUI
    -Energy
    -Oxygen
    -Underwater
    -Some other script.....

Please say me what you think about this toolkit.
    PS. sorry for my english in the video , but I'm italian xD

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. p6r

p6r

It's really great !
    So many parameters to adjust the motor to our characters !!!

6R

3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I wish you could implement a diving function and also climbing.
    But it look also great like it is :)

4. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks guys!
    @M_Stolley What you mean for diving? I've already implemented a swimming functions.

However now I'm implementing a function of climbing the stairs to the wall.

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes, swimming is great but diving will be a plus for me and maybe others too.
    I like how i can dive and collect things in banjo kazoe. You can see this on some youtube videos.

The possibility to climp also on a rock or wallside would be great too but i think thats just another "kind" of maybe transparent ladder climbing.

Edit:
    There are other classical games where i can collect things in hidden places under water and i want to have this feature.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Okay, I'm going to see them videos and I'll try to add them features :)

7. zine92

zine92

Check out your videos. Ain't that bad and hopefully will see this plugin released soon. :D And i really am awed by it. It's just what Unity character controller should be. But sadly. Anyways i noticed that your rigidbody motor enables your character to move up stairs right? How do you make that? Like detecting slopes/stairs and moving it up? Kinda interesting. :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks zine for your comment :)
    For the stairs as you seen in the house there isn't a detection but for the stairs on the wall I think yes.

9. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Added climbing for stairs on wall, easy to setup, only do a trigger with your tag near your stair :)

10. zine92

zine92

Cool. One question, would this be released as paid? Or free. Kinda interested in this. :D

11. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

I think to release this as paid, how much would you pay for this?

12. zine92

zine92

Not too sure. Guess you could start a poll or something. :D

13. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

I can do that when it is finished :) But I'm sure to not go past 20€, I think it will be between 10 and 20 €

14. zine92

zine92

You kinda read my mind about the pricing. But i am thinking i might need to work a few years before i can afford to pay for plugins. Sorry bout that. Am just a learning student. :D But i think i might buy this plugin.

15. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Don't worry, I'm going to do a beta test of this plugin at the end. So if you can test this for me you can get a free copy :)

16. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Very nice!
    I'm searching a controller like yours and it is very promising!
    I would give a look to test all the features..have you planned to make a trial version? I would glad to pay for a good all purposes player controller.
    Regards (ciao!)
    Max

17. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks Max :)
    I think to add some more features to make it more complete as possible, but I can make a demo game or version to test it out and make some other video to make you informed about updates :)

Cheers,
    KillerZ

18. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Added in air speed and improved the climbing :)
    Other features that I can add?

19. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. zine92

zine92

Thanks.

I am thinking maybe a on the spot rotation kind of thing for the controller? Like maybe i can set the rotation speed and press horizontal turns my character. Just thought of this because my friend's game is using some form of rotation for turning instead of the traditional strafing.

But overall i think it seems quite polished. :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  21. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

I read the thread and in the last page I found your list
    :
    - Walking sound (different for type of surface) - Done
    - Headbobber (FPS) - Done
    - Gunbobber (FPS) - What you mean?
    - FPS GUN follow camera direction (FPS) - Just make the weapon a child of the camera
    - Make a single prefab. -What you mean?
    - Add an option to smooth the mouse look movement - What you mean?
    - Add in the crouching and prone status a real Character controller height variation (collider and camera position)(FPS) - Doing :)

Thanks all 2 for the help :)
    @Zine92 Yes, I can do a rotation based on inputs :)

22. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Added crouching and proning advanced, now they have an own class and you can decide if enable it, the speed and the collider scale, as max said now the collider and the camera go down as real :)
    Now working on locking axis for better control of the player in a platform game directly in the motor :)

Here's a little preview :

Edit : Added locking on x,y,z axis for better control :), as soon as I can I'll upload a demo for test :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Nice to see your development status is going forward!
    I can't wait to try it.
    As Gun (or best weapon bobbing ) I mean the movement of the weapon that make the weapon not too fixed to the player when moves..
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/21737/making-a-gun-bob-while-moving.html
    for mouse smoothing:
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=SmoothMouseLook

24. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

I don't think to do that the gun bobbing because this toolkit is for a caracther building and not a fps or gun development , but I think that the head bob script can also work in the gun, I'll try it and say you the reponse :)
    And why I need to do a mouse look smooth script if it already exist?

25. p6r

p6r

better and better... Great job !

Could you add ? Why not for a complete (character ?) "controller toolkit"?
    * drive (with skidding option ?)
    * fly (like a plane or a bird ?)

Don't forget to add a respawn system (if not already included !?!).

6R

26. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks for the compliment :)
    For fly you mean a controller for planes? Because I've inserted the noclip and is a kind of flying, while for the respawn you mean the network script? For the driving I may do a script for the player that enter in the car, please explain better what you want that I add :)

27. p6r

p6r

If you want to create a (great) character toolkit, why not a more complete controller toolkit with "all" movements known : character, car, plane, bird, butterfly, horse,... with specific controls to check or uncheck, as you did !

I mean every character or objects has a specific way to move ! To make a difference between them your toolkit only uses the camera. So the camera will move a little bit from left to right and from up to down for a walking guy (with the possibility to check or uncheck that for any uses), or from up to down for a horse, and so on ! For example the plane (the camera) will have a straight movement on the ground before flying and then a flying movement.

And yes, why not the possibility to select several movements and to be able to change at runtime : the guy (James Bond ? :)) is walking to avoid or kill enemies and then enter in a car to follow the enemy and then enter in a plane to fly away, and so on... ???

respawn : I mean if the character loses one life in the game he will reappear here or there following the coordinates we could give him... Or for the car if out of the road and so on...

6R

28. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Oh ok, I can make a script for respawn, while for the different characther I can make different cam views managed from a script with the possibility to change them ,and then modify the headbob script to choose the axis where you want it make the bob, right?

29. p6r

p6r

Sounds fantastic !!! Yes I think it's what I meant... :)

With such a complete toolkit I think you will help a lot of people who don't want to waste time anymore to just find or add several scripts for their character or objects !!!
    Your idea of a character toolkit is clever and if you add so many parameters it will become a perfect tool and not only for beginners ! (But the name has to change : not only for character now ???)

6R

30. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks, now I'm working on a custom mouse look or better camera or object rotation based on custom keys with many options completely written by me and if you can make a todo list so I can follow that :)

31. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Created the custom mouse look, now It has the basic commands but I will add the custom axis or keys managing.
    You can decide if clamp the rotation or not, now it is only based on mouse axis.
    A preview :

Updated the headbob script, with improved control and added a control for each axis (x,y), with a specify class.
    Here's the preview :

32. p6r

p6r

Very nice ! You're working very fast...

6R

33. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Thanks p6r, when I have some time I work on this kit....

34. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

35. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

@RushRageGames Thanks :)

Update :
    Added head bob control directly from the motor for fast managing of the bob :)

I'm making a little demo , I just need someone that can do for me some simple animations for test it out, who will help me will get a free copy of the toolkit...

36. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Great work man! This looks very handy. Looking forward to demo.

37. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

@24pfilms Thanks :)

Update:
    -Added underwater script based on water enter and it enable the fog to do an effect more real.
    -Added damage script based on falling functions in the motor, it need a texture and time to show it, it will do all for you :)

38. p6r

p6r

With so many possibilities I think you could call it now "Universal Controller Toolkit" !?! (Universal like Unity !) :)

What do you need exactly for animations ? You can PM me if you want to give more explanations and to see if I can help you !?!

6R

39. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

40. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Update :
    Improved Underwater and Damage script.
    Improved the falling control, now based on velocity for better result.

Now working on an universal health script, with different methods, regenerations, etc...

41. p6r

p6r

Amazing...

6R

42. dragonstar

dragonstar

can you make a tutorial to setup this controller to work on IOS devices

43. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

This controller works on all platforms, the only thing is to setup a script for touch devices, or you mean the mac? Because I have Windows, and I don't have an IOS license, can you explain better ,please?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  44. kenshin

kenshin

Really nice... Keep up the good work! :)

Ciao

45. dragonstar

dragonstar

well i have a mac and PC my question is if i can put your kit and character on the iphone or Android Platforms

46. zine92

zine92

Wow. I think you can make a game out of this now. Given all the controls. It's really flexible. :D

47. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

@Dragonstar I think that it works, obviously adding a script to move it with touch controls, but to be sure I need someone that have IOS licence and can test it for me.

@zine92 Thanks :)

48. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

-Update:
    -Added an health script with auto health restore function (if you wanna enable it) and with Restore(amount) and Damage(amout) functions :)
    - Added Debug script for in screen checking...

-Todo:
    Health HUD script with 2 modes :
    .Normal health bar
    .New games mode (blood on screen)

Energy script , wich will manage the player energy for running ,etc....

Please say if you want that I add something more....

49. zine92

zine92

Hmm. I was thinking about maybe an options to change the direction of the gravity, because recently i had a friend making a game where it requires the constant changing of gravity. And think it might be good too to have a controller that can change the gravity at real time and set the direction and such. :D You update stuff really fast.

50. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

@Zine92 The gravity can be changed in runtime with the Physics.gravity function.... I you want the gravity go up just set : Physics.gravity = Vector3.up * 9.81f;